INGLEWOOD - SoFi Stadium (70,250) - Page 496 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Under Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 18th, 2019, 09:01 PM   #9901
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Anyone know if there will be a separate naming rights deal for the theater?
For a few million more, HELL yeah!! So it will, of course, be different from the Nokia and Dolby Theaters.
Knitemplar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2019, 11:43 PM   #9902
Jericho-79

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaroon View Post
Ugh, "DebtLife" wasn't really my first choice but oh well. For $30 million plus a season they can name it what they want!
This may sound petty on my part.

But SoFi isn't even an LA-based corporation. It's headquartered in San Francisco.

Besides, didn't SoFi get into hot water with the FTC last year?

Anyway, it's a longtime standard that naming rights deals for major sports venues are acquired by hometown-based businesses. The naming rights for the Giants/Jets stadium here in New Jersey, for example, were purchased by MetLife, which is headquartered in NYC.

Me personally, I was hoping for Forever 21 Stadium at Hollywood Park.

Last edited by Jericho-79; September 19th, 2019 at 12:51 AM.
Jericho-79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 12:00 AM   #9903

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
I generally dislike when people and mostly politicians put their names on buildings.
(But)
Stan Kroenke put out much of his own money into this project, it would seem fair to say his name should be somewhere on this project like the performance venue.
90069 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 03:00 AM   #9904
pesto

Likes (Received): 4039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post

But SoFi isn't even an LA-based corporation. It's headquartered in San Francisco.

Anyway, it's a longtime standard that naming rights deals for major sports venues are acquired by hometown-based businesses. The naming rights for the Giants/Jets stadium here in New Jersey, for example, were purchased by MetLife, which is headquartered in NYC.

That is far from true. Many, many stadiums, arenas, theaters, etc., are named for non-local companies. United Airlines, Staples, Dolby, Honda, Microsoft, American Airlines just in LA.

SoFi's business practices are certainly questionable and I consider this move risky for the NFL as well. But then again, Apple, Microsoft or Oracle have never been hesitant to use their monopolies to obliterate smaller competitors and almost any large company has some issues.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 03:03 AM   #9905
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90069 View Post
I generally dislike when people and mostly politicians put their names on buildings.
(But)
Stan Kroenke put out much of his own money into this project, it would seem fair to say his name should be somewhere on this project like the performance venue.
The problem is that he is doing this to make money and he is getting about 700M from American and SoFi. I'm not sure what he gets from seeing his name on the buliding

Btw, my recollection is that Spanos and Kroenke share equally in naming rights and the NFL gets a cut as well as part of the deal to allow the move. Does anyone remember the details? I believe Spanos elected to take equity instead of renting but I could be wrong.

Last edited by pesto; September 19th, 2019 at 03:22 AM.
Old September 19th, 2019, 04:01 AM   #9906
californiadreams

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:

I didn't know enough about Sofi to even realize it's based hundreds of miles north.

The business climate of Sofi's headquarters city is so much finer than LA's business climate? If so, oh, oh. We're in big trouble.

It's like my 70-year-old granny being beaten up by your 70-year-old granny.

There are so many Fortune 500 companies in LA, that Forever 21 would have been a good choice. Hey, didn't they try to compete with Sofi? Or Joe's Burger Shack? Or Mel's Copier Center?
californiadreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 05:38 AM   #9907

Likes (Received): 48

Yes Pesto you are correct. The performance venue will have 6,000 seats, 1,000 less than Microsoft. I suppose I was thinking of the local venues which are named after the woman that helped fund them but they are ½ the size.
90069 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 08:44 AM   #9908
pesto

Quote:
Yes Pesto you are correct. The performance venue will have 6,000 seats, 1,000 less than Microsoft. I suppose I was thinking of the local venues which are named after the woman that helped fund them but they are ½ the size.
A nice touch might be to pay over the naming rights for the performance venue to local arts organizations.

LA Phil is opening a music training center in Inglewood and the proceeds from naming the LASED performance venue could complement that with training in, say, arts and entertainment management. LASED would be a natural place for the students to use their talents in the real world.
Old September 19th, 2019, 01:06 PM   #9909
RobH

Likes (Received): 16653

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiadreams View Post
I'm not claiming I've never posted about other games. I'm saying I have more interest in the Olympics because of LA's connection to it. That includes the way Sofi stadium is planned to be a part of that.

A poster a few comments above mentioned about the IOC not allowing commercialization at the venues of a host city and whether that would or wouldn't affect the Sofi tie-in with Kroenke's stadium.

WTF are you making comments about that such a big deal?
To end this discussion here, the venue will have to be called something like "LA Stadium at Inglewood" for the Olympics and Paralympics, any signage associated with SoFi will have to be covered, and SoFi will not be allowed to leverage the Olympic brand in any way as they do not have a sponsorship agreement with the IOC.

This is no different from how it's worked in previous host cities, examples including the O2 in London (renamed the North Greenwich Arena for the Olympics). Newcastle fans were pleased when they briefly got the name of their stadium back for the Olympics (St James' Park instead of the hated 'Sports Direct Arena' as it was at the time).

Nor is this a new talking point for LA. We've already had this discussion in the Coliseum thread around UA's potential sponsorship of that venue and how it wouldn't apply for the Games - https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...-coliseum.html

There's your answer.

redspork02 liked this post
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 05:57 PM   #9910
pesto

The question is how much money is involved not what has been done in the past. The proposal drives the policies, as we saw with United's choice over Morocco, and LA's selection simultaneously with Paris.

Of course, Inglewood will only be used for 3 days or so, so it could be that there just isn't enough revenue associated to make a major effort worthwhile. But there are people who are going to look into it.
Old September 19th, 2019, 06:38 PM   #9911
aquamaroon

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de Los Ángeles
Likes (Received): 7038

Quote:
I'm sure there will be! Something like "Microsoft Theater" at L.A. Live. It got me thinking, according to Bloomberg the naming rights for the stadium went for over 30 million a year, let's say 31 million over 20 years. And American Airlines is going to pay 9 million a year for the next 10 years for the plaza. If they are able to sell the theater rights for 10 million a year or over, and American Airlines re-ups for another 10 years, you could be looking at A billion dollars in naming rights for the whole complex! Pretty amazing when you think about it

EPA001 liked this post
aquamaroon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 08:46 PM   #9912
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaroon View Post
I'm sure there will be! Something like "Microsoft Theater" at L.A. Live. It got me thinking, according to Bloomberg the naming rights for the stadium went for over 30 million a year, let's say 31 million over 20 years. And American Airlines is going to pay 9 million a year for the next 10 years for the plaza. If they are able to sell the theater rights for 10 million a year or over, and American Airlines re-ups for another 10 years, you could be looking at A billion dollars in naming rights for the whole complex! Pretty amazing when you think about it
Yes. Many companies have grasped the potential of this development and sports is just the tip of the iceberg. The NFL is looking at entertainment broadly and monetizing the hospitality aspects of business and finance. Ballmer and Dolan see it and are pushing hard for their share.

SoFi and like companies would like to cater to the emerging lifestyle, much as Google and Apple are trying to do. Database and available funds are the chief building blocks and on-demand gratification for your customers is the goal.
Old September 20th, 2019, 04:17 PM   #9913
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 5021

Quote:
(But)
Stan will see his name on the ledger that shows revenue flowing in. Methinks that's the most important thing for him.
Old September 20th, 2019, 04:45 PM   #9914
Tered

Likes (Received): 2338

May also keep him from having his name put in a bad light if things go south. - Taking York & Snyder's names as an examples!
Old September 20th, 2019, 05:02 PM   #9915
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 1373

Podcast talking about the naming rights of the stadium...

How will SoFi Stadium change Inglewood?

https://www.kcrw.com/news/shows/grea...ange-inglewood
Old September 20th, 2019, 05:04 PM   #9916
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tered View Post
May also keep him from having his name put in a bad light if things go south. - Taking York & Snyder's names as an examples!
Great point. Free enterprise is all about thinking big and innovative, but it's no guaranty of success. Most projects do not result in Googles and Apples.

The NFL, SoFi, Kroenke, Spanos and Stockbridge have to deliver a product that people want or they join a long list of nice tries and utter disasters.
Old September 20th, 2019, 06:05 PM   #9917
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game Is Up View Post
Podcast talking about the naming rights of the stadium...

How will SoFi Stadium change Inglewood?

https://www.kcrw.com/news/shows/grea...ange-inglewood
Speaking of naming rights, a couple of quotes from the business press:

Kroenke: “It was critical for us to find a tech-focused partner who is on the cutting edge and genuinely understands the needs of all of our constituents and who challenges us to think in creative ways to make every visitor to SoFi Stadium and Hollywood Park feel special and at home”.

SoFi CEO: “This is a giant leap toward achieving our company’s mission of helping people get their money right by reaching our members where they are. This partnership is the perfect opportunity to drive awareness and trust in the SoFi brand as we continue to grow and reach members on a national level.”

Forbes believes the Rams could be the 2nd most valuable franchise in the NFL next year; about 3B up from St. Louis days. But neither quote makes any mention of either football or LA. This project is driven by an integrated view of what a future worldwide lifestyle could look like. Football and LA are just useful in getting there.

Of course, different view on the ground in Inglewood.

Last edited by pesto; September 20th, 2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old September 20th, 2019, 07:05 PM   #9918
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 4278

Excerpt from The Athletic ($) article with quotes from Rams COO Kevin Demoff on the team's new uniforms debuting in 2020:

Quote:
“Our goal has always been to take the historical elements of the Rams uniforms — the colors, the horns, the symbolism — (and) keep those but progress them forward,” Demoff said. “You’re building the most modern and what we believe will be the world’s best sports and entertainment district at SoFi Stadium. You’re investing in all these technological aspects, these futuristic aspects. You can’t just walk in with uniforms that throw back to the 1970s. I just don’t think that that’s the right brand fit for the Rams or this stadium.

“But that doesn’t mean you turn completely away from it and you turn into this aqua and brown and green mismatch and say, ‘Here you go Los Angeles.’ It’s a balancing act between the two.
https://theathletic.com/1226518/2019...logo-uniforms/

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

aquamaroon liked this post
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 07:31 PM   #9919
pesto

Quote:
Excerpt from The Athletic ($) article with quotes from Rams COO Kevin Demoff on the team's new uniforms debuting in 2020:

https://theathletic.com/1226518/2019...logo-uniforms/
It is indeed a weighty decision. If you junk the traditional look you will alienate most of your traditional fans who are already worried about being out-slicked at the stadium by the tech nerds and trust-fund instant-gratifiers.

This is where decisions have to be made between catering to football fans (as in mud and beer and tailgating) and the new age (as in crypto-currency). Going to be tough to cater to each.
Old September 20th, 2019, 09:26 PM   #9920
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:

What's so strange about that? JP Morgan/Chase beat SoFi out of the now Chase Center in SF (and JP Morgan is, of course, NYC-based); so, SoFi jumped on the next big one closest to them, which happens to be the new Rams home in Inglewood.

Mercedes-Benz is NOT Atlanta-based, yet they got the new arena in Atlanta named after them. If National Enquirer (Florida-based) wants to pay for the naming rights of a stadium in Honolulu and they're willing to top the highest bidder, then they can have it!
Knitemplar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
los angeles, nfl