Tyne Tees TV Studios - Hotel, Flats & Student Accom | Newcastle | Various | U/C - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old December 5th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #1
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2038

Tyne Tees TV Studios - Hotel, Flats & Student Accom | Newcastle | Various | U/C

Originally posted by Johnnypd in the Skybar and copied into the 'Media' thread . . .

image hosted on flickr

This (as discussed on the 'Media' thread) is a sad situation, but it is going to happen . . . There are details of the 'demolition' application on the City Council website, but no news of what is planned to be built on the site.

Here is an earlier newspaper article about the proposed demolition . . .

Don't demolish iconic TV studio
Apr 23 2007 By Julia Bosnyak, The Evening Chronicle

A film editor on the 1980s hit music show The Tube has spoken of his sadness that Tyne Tees TV's former HQ could be bulldozed.

The programme, beamed live from studio five at the Newcastle City Road landmark, ran from 1982 to 1987.

Peter Bensimon, 60, of The Links, Whitley Bay said: "The news is such a shame.

"It brings back so many happy memories whenever I drive past the studios, it is terrible to think of it all closed up with nothing going on."

Aired on Channel Four for 90 minutes on Friday nights The Tube, presented by Jools Holland and the late Paula Yates, became a magnet for some of the biggest pop and rock stars.

Working as assistant film editor throughout the first four seasons before being promoted in the show's final year, Peter worked alongside legends ranging from Aretha Franklin to the Rolling Stones.

Peter said: "It was the most fantastic job and it never felt like work.

"When the show began it was difficult to book the acts and get them up to Newcastle, it was as if we were inviting them to the Arctic Circle.

"But by the final year, when The Tube was at the height of its success, they were tripping over themselves to appear.

"The Tube really put Newcastle on the map in the 80s, and helped launch a lot of music careers."

One singer to benefit from the show was Tina Turner.

"The night she performed was the most memorable of my time on The Tube," says Peter. "She was relaunching her career and it was one of her first appearances since her split with Ike Turner.

"Public Image and the Eurythmics were also playing, it was brilliant."

Named after the tunnel like walkway at the front entrance of the Tyne Tees building, The Tube came to an end in 1987.

Tyne Tees, which occupied the buildings for 46 years, crossed the river in 2005 to a new £6m digital centre near Gateshead MetroCentre.

Edinburgh developer Buccleuch Property bought the City Road site for £5m, then in November announced it had also bought the Egypt Cottage pub next door.

The ex-TV studios is expected to be bulldozed, and following consultations with residents and businesses, council officials are supporting a new mixed development there

So, does anyone have any recent information on this, who the developer is, etc?

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 16th, 2010 at 11:30 AM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

The story of the demise of Tyne Tees TV can be found in HERE . . .

https://www.transdiffusion.org/2017/...distant-clouds

https://www.transdiffusion.org/?s=Tyne+Tees+TV

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; August 6th, 2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old December 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #3
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1233

from what i can tell Ryder are the architects for this. no public plans released as of yet.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #4
johnnypd

Newcastle council planning guidance for the site suggests a building of up to 7 storeys -

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/wwwfiler...g_Guidance.pdf
Old February 6th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #5
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

Went past there tonight - the car park (which is to the right of Egypt Cottage) has mostly been demolished, whilst the main building and Egypt Cottage are covered in scaffold - seems like they will be gone soon
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #6
johnnypd

this is currently being marketed as "cityquay-newcastle" - what a stupid name, it's not a 'quay' at all!

official website - http://www.cityquay-newcastle.co.uk/ - no images sadly.

says it is currently in the masterplanning stage, and on latest news there are some pics of demolition occuring.
Old February 9th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #7
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Apart from it being a shame to lose Tyne Tees Studios, it is also disappointing to see them developing this site, that is SO CLOSE to the still vacant 'Imperial Quay' site, which you can really see from the map on the developers website!
Old February 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #8
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

Went past here today, a lot of it has been demolished.
Old February 9th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #9
superstition100

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Apart from it being a shame to lose Tyne Tees Studios, it is also disappointing to see them developing this site, that is SO CLOSE to the still vacant 'Imperial Quay' site, which you can really see from the map on the developers website!
I haven't seen anywhere that it is being developed. They haven't even submitted planning yet (unless I've missed it).

They're simply flattening it which I think is a shame, but totally understandable. The fairly recent abolition of empty rates relief by the numpties in charge means it is the only sensible thing for them to do in this situation.
superstition100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #10
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstition100 View Post
I haven't seen anywhere that it is being developed. They haven't even submitted planning yet (unless I've missed it).

They're simply flattening it which I think is a shame, but totally understandable. The fairly recent abolition of empty rates relief by the numpties in charge means it is the only sensible thing for them to do in this situation.
You're right, there have been no plans submitted for this site yet, I don't think any have even been made public. Also welcome to the forum!
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #11
superstition100

Thanks!

Not sure when they bought it (buccleuurrcccchhhh: massive property company/investor/aristocracy family estate blah blah). If it was more than about 18 months ago then no doubt they'll be scratching their heads trying to work out what to build on there, that won't then sit vacant haemorrhaging cash.

My guess it'll be flattened, then sit for a few years until some occupier demand returns. Given current conditions and the number of office schemes proposed elsewhere (just looked through them all on the other thread!)...i reckon it'll be quite a while!
superstition100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #12
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
Went past here today, a lot of it has been demolished.
Went past there on the way home this afternoon, and the main building is still untouched, but covered in scaffolding. The big studio (with the famous 'tunnel entrance' featured on the opening credits of The Tube every week) has now more than half gone.

Sad to see.

Took quite a few photos, while standing next to Roger Tames, while I was there!!!

Will download some shortly . .
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #13
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstition100 View Post
Thanks!

Not sure when they bought it (buccleuurrcccchhhh: massive property company/investor/aristocracy family estate blah blah). If it was more than about 18 months ago then no doubt they'll be scratching their heads trying to work out what to build on there, that won't then sit vacant haemorrhaging cash.

My guess it'll be flattened, then sit for a few years until some occupier demand returns. Given current conditions and the number of office schemes proposed elsewhere (just looked through them all on the other thread!)...i reckon it'll be quite a while!
It might be a good shout to mention hotel or student accomodation on this site? I'm thinking the latter... mainly due to the site currently being surrounded by three hotels (Malmaison, Staybridge Suites & Premier Inn).
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #14
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

As mentioned, here are the photos I took today (9th February 2010) . .

Main Tyne Tees TV building, now covered in scaffolding . .

The main building with (to the left) the other two former Tyne Tees buildings being retained. They are already sold and refurbished, the office block on the corner was the Tyne Tees Head Office Suite, when it was an independent company, before the "Yorkshire TV" period . .

The, now obscured, Main Entrance and big "Tyne Tees Television" sign. Those big letters should be saved?

Shame about the Egypt Cottage, too. I knew someone from Procter Gamble's City Road offices directly opposite, in the 70s and 80s, so spent a LOT of time in there . .

This was such a FAMOUS view, nationwide and worldwide . . at the start of each weeks TUBE, looking up the "Big Tunnel" that started where the arch still is. Look at it now . .

A side-on view of the big studio used for 'The Tube' and all those other music programmes. Where I took this from is where Roger Tames was standing and looking, today . .
Old February 9th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #15
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 46

I dont think its a bad thing for sites like this to be cleared. Derelict buildings attract all kinds of social problems, and Battle Hill is not a great area at the best of times. But I do think the site should be brought into immediate temporary use.

NCC should talk to the owners about installing a car park on the site, which could dual as an events space for things like Evolution.... just until they are ready to redevelop.
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #16
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Two photos from the 'Buccleuch' website, one large one very small!

The first one shows the extent of the area of the cleared derelict building that they are to develop . .

Old February 9th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #17
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

So looking at that plan it seems the blue building and the one next to it are staying. So I wonder what will happen to that big broadcasting rig sticking up from the brown building?
Old February 9th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #18
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlad View Post
So looking at that plan it seems the blue building and the one next to it are staying. So I wonder what will happen to that big broadcasting rig sticking up from the brown building?
Yes, the fomer Tyne Tees Management Suite building on the corner, and the one next to it (both refurbished and sold off many years ago) are remaining . . .

I am not sure what will happen to the large 'antenna' type structure!

Quote:

The main building with (to the left) the other two former Tyne Tees buildings being retained. They are already sold and refurbished, the office block on the corner was the Tyne Tees Head Office Suite, when it was an independent company, before the "Yorkshire TV" period . .
Old February 9th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #19
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Quote:
Yes, the fomer Tyne Tees Management Suite building on the corner, and the one next to it (both refurbished and sold off many years ago) are remaining . . .

I am not sure what will happen to the large 'antenna' type structure!
I'd like to see some sort of lighting on this. perhaps to commemorate TTTV as the cultural institution it once was. Maybe the old TTTV logo could be mounted on here?

They did a similar think here in Vancouver for a department store converted to flats. They restored the old illuminated signage as it was such an inconic brand for many years here in the city.
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #20
Smash17

Quote:
Took quite a few photos, while standing next to Roger Tames, while I was there!!!
Did you manage to talk to him?
Smash17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, development, developments, newcastle, newcastle students, project, project - newcastle area, projects, student accommodation, students