Tyne Tees TV Studios - Hotel, Flats & Student Accom | Newcastle | Various | U/C - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old March 8th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #61
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manors View Post
Just had a leaflet through the door advertising this - might pop along and see what it will look like. Latest issue of the Lib Dem Focus newsletter, and Stephen Psallidas isn't pleased about it.
take your camera with you

why is he not pleased about it?

some of our councillors have a horrific anti-development stance - i'd rather have the investment, vibrancy, jobs, density and new buildings than a plot of wasteland, even if does have a student res element. why chase this stuff away, scare off investment and make people have to jump through extra hoops?
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #62
battlefieldjohn
Idle waster.

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Just had a leaflet through the door advertising this - might pop along and see what it will look like. Latest issue of the Lib Dem Focus newsletter, and Stephen Psallidas isn't pleased about it.
Me to, might go if I am free.

But really what is the point, they will build what they want and bollocks to the locals.

The battlefield now has around 7000 students, vastly out numbering the locals.
battlefieldjohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #63
Manors
Between Manors and Byker

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
take your camera with you

why is he not pleased about it?

some of our councillors have a horrific anti-development stance - i'd rather have the investment, vibrancy, jobs, density and new buildings than a plot of wasteland, even if does have a student res element. why chase this stuff away, scare off investment and make people have to jump through extra hoops?
Complaining that too many students are now in one area (which when the Lib Dem's were in power at the Council, they were wanting to shift students from Jesmond/Heaton into purpose built halls, which are now popping up everywhere around us).

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlefieldjohn
But really what is the point, they will build what they want and bollocks to the locals.
Yup, can't see them turning it down, but it won't be long before the bubble bursts and all these new halls are standing empty.
Manors no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #64
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4766

Planning Application has gone in fore this development:

2012/0365/01/DET | Detailed Planning Application for erection of up to 9 storey block of purpose built student accommodation providing 386 bed spaces with associated reception, management and administration areas, laundry, storage, plant and student hub/cafe with related pedestrian, cycle and vehicle access to car and cycle parking and bin storage: Outline Planning Application for the erection of up to 139 bed hotel with associated bar and restaurant dining area, reception area with vehicular accesses off City Road and Howard Street and the erection of a residential building providing 30 apartments with associated vehicle access to serve 19 car parking spaces, and cycle parking | Television Studios City Road Newcastle upon Tyne

http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk...=M1AL2XBS0DL00

Reference 2012/0365/01/DET
Alternative Reference Not Available
Application Received Thu 22 Mar 2012
Address Television Studios City Road Newcastle upon Tyne

Renders courtesy of Buccleugh Property and hosted on www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #65
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

Good spot Steve. More student res!!! :s
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #66
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 178

Tyne Television Site

Back of the site pictured today the 27th of March 2012...

Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #67
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2041

This morning The Journal catch up with Steve Ellwood's post ('Post 64' above) of March 27th . . .

Hotel plans submitted for Tyne Tees Television site
by Tony Henderson, The Journal, March 30th 2012

A NEW HOTEL is part of £25m plans which have been submitted for a former TV station site. The scheme by Carlisle-based Northern Developments and site owners Buccleuch Property, has gone to Newcastle City Council. Plans for the former Tyne Tees Television site on City Road in Newcastle include a 130-bedroom hotel, a 386-bed student accommodation block operated by U-student and a separate 30 two and three-bedroom apartments development.

The area behind the site already has a concentration of student blocks, mostly serving Northumbria University. Tyne Tees quit the site in 2005 and it has been empty for more than two years following the demolition of the TV studios and adjacent Egypt Cottage pub.

Sandy Smith, development director for Buccleuch Property, said: “Our combined investment in the scheme will provide significant economic regeneration, not just on the site, but for the wider city. We have worked very closely with Newcastle City Council and their planning department, to ensure that we deliver a scheme that the city can be proud of on a strategic site that otherwise would be likely to stand empty for some considerable time.”

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1qaUUjZYz
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:46 PM   #68
Manors
Between Manors and Byker

Likes (Received): 19

I would be very suprised if the city is able to sustain the number of new hotels and student accomodation that is planned, under construction or already been built.
Manors no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:08 PM   #69
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 178

How many student blocks and places are there now or planned?

Must be 30 plus blocks and 5-6000 places?

Looking at the student accommodation next to the Newcastle Business school the prices go up to £220 per week?

Who would pay that?

More questions than answers!
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:40 PM   #70
paddytoonleics

Likes (Received): 231

International students, often whose governments are funding their overseas education.
paddytoonleics no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #71
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 3786

Television Studios City Road Newcastle upon Tyne - up to 9 storey block of purpose built student accommodation providing 386 bed spaces & Outline Planning Application for the erection of up to 139 bed hotel & erection of a residential buildi

This appeared as "Granted Conditionally" on Newcastle Planning Portal 06/07/12 PM

2012/0365/01/DET

Detailed Planning Application

for erection of up to 9 storey block of purpose built student accommodation providing 386 bed spaces with associated reception, management and administration areas, laundry, storage, plant and student hub/cafe with related pedestrian, cycle and vehicle access to car and cycle parking and bin storage:

Outline Planning Application

for the erection of up to 139 bed hotel with associated bar and restaurant dining area, reception area with vehicular accesses off City Road and Howard Street

and

the erection of a residential building providing 30 apartments with associated vehicle access to serve 19 car parking spaces, and cycle parking

Television Studios City Road Newcastle upon Tyne

http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk...=M1AL2XBS0DL00

101 documents available to be viewed

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #72
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
I would be very suprised if the city is able to sustain the number of new hotels and student accomodation that is planned, under construction or already been built.
As long as the landlords of Heaton and Jesmond continue to provide poorly maintained homes you will see more drift towards these purpose-built complexes. In a way this might not be a bad thing, it brings people in to what were previously light industrial/derelict areas and may eventually force the regeneration of places like the Avenues in Heaton.
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #73
growly grace

Likes (Received): 106

"force the regeneration of places like the Avenues in Heaton" where to start! Oh Jack Common where you here now!
Because what students want / need is laminated flooring, a black leather sofa and a single bed. What only students can live in Heaton? Regular people with or with out jobs, with or with out families, people who might be old or might have children.
The Avenues don't need or want "regeneration" they just need tenants.
growly grace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #74
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by growly grace
"force the regeneration of places like the Avenues in Heaton" where to start! Oh Jack Common where you here now!
Because what students want / need is laminated flooring, a black leather sofa and a single bed. What only students can live in Heaton? Regular people with or with out jobs, with or with out families, people who might be old or might have children.
The Avenues don't need or want "regeneration" they just need tenants.
You have totally misunderstood me. I dont mean regeneration in the form of more students, i mean a more mixed community, with housing fit for the modern family, or suited to the needs of the elderly. Perhaps more akin to what the community might have been like in the days of Jack Common. But unfortunately things move on and the current state of the housing stock is poor and unappealing to most... Not in the 1920s any more.

I disagree that they dont need regeneration, the gardens are a mess, the streets untidy and more than 50% of the flats look really tired. It will only get worse unless there is a sensible masterplan.
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 09:20 AM   #75
Wildcat45

Likes (Received): 37

The old Tyne Tees Television building had a ghost. He was called Peter.

The buildings that formed the studios had been over the years, warehouses of various descriptions. I think one was used as a meat store or butchers premesis at one time.

The story goes, that Peter hanged himself from a meat hook and that his spirit remained in the building that became Tyne Tees.

Apparently he would appear hanging I think in the scene dock area which when it was a warehosue was the back of the building - a series of arches.

This led to a story I heard - told to me by a security guard there years ago - about how a wind-up went too far one night. They had a new starter on security who had been told about Peter. Now being a TV studio, there was a good supply of props, lighting etc. Apparently for a laugh some of the guys put a dummy hanging from a noose in the scene dock - (It was a tall corridor which ran from a storage area in the yard - next to the blue and whilte building that is till there, right along past studio 2, 3 and 1 - eventually to St5) The scene dock was darkened as it was night and the dummy was appropriately lit. The new guard went on his rounds, saw the "ghost" crapped himself, ran away and never came back.

Parts of the building did have a feeling about them. Not a bad feeling, if anything positive and happy. Bit of a sceptic about stuff like this, but I do think places have good and bad feelings. TTTV and Peter or whoever he was, felt really friendly.
Wildcat45 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #76
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat45 View Post
The old Tyne Tees Television building had a ghost. He was called Peter.

The buildings that formed the studios had been over the years, warehouses of various descriptions. I think one was used as a meat store or butchers premesis at one time.

The story goes, that Peter hanged himself from a meat hook and that his spirit remained in the building that became Tyne Tees.

Apparently he would appear hanging I think in the scene dock area which when it was a warehouse was the back of the building - a series of arches.

This led to a story I heard - told to me by a security guard there years ago - about how a wind-up went too far one night. They had a new starter on security who had been told about Peter. Now being a TV studio, there was a good supply of props, lighting etc. Apparently for a laugh some of the guys put a dummy hanging from a noose in the scene dock - (It was a tall corridor which ran from a storage area in the yard - next to the blue and whilte building that is till there, right along past studio 2, 3 and 1 - eventually to St5) The scene dock was darkened as it was night and the dummy was appropriately lit. The new guard went on his rounds, saw the "ghost" crapped himself, ran away and never came back.

Parts of the building did have a feeling about them. Not a bad feeling, if anything positive and happy. Bit of a sceptic about stuff like this, but I do think places have good and bad feelings. TTTV and Peter or whoever he was, felt really friendly.

The "Scene Dock" area, as shown here, in a post from the "Historic Newcastle" thread . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian; March 1st 2010
Tyne Tees TV, New City Road Studios (circa 1959)

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

Old July 15th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #77
Wildcat45

That schematic isn't totaly accurate. I have that book. Mind you, the image dates from when the station started so things changed I guess. Te boardroom was in the Admin building - the building with mast on it for example.

The Scene Dock is the corridor below St 2 and above Master Control and ST3.

Assuming the building was positioned North South - City Rd being South, the scene dock ran East West. There were roller doors into a yard from city Road. This was on a hill - as the whole site is - at the top on the right were doors into the scnee dock. There were double doors from that into Studio 2, so you could actually drive cars in there for shows. I remember seeing a new Sierra in there when I was a kid!

The scene dock narrowed and went past what you see on the schematic ast Studio 3 up to Studio 1 where it made a 90 degree left turn, then into a bigger scene dock with a lift to ground level - you were actually 5 feet or so below Howard Street at the back. The lift was I guess put in for Sduio 5 which adjoined the scene dock. It was a platform lift for moving gear into the dock. Peter - or so I was old - used to hang out (ahem) round where that 90 degree bend was.

He must be pretty Pee'd off now his home has been demolished.

I don't know how to post images, but you can sort of see the lay out on Google Earth.
Old July 15th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #78
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat45 View Post

I don't know how to post images, but you can sort of see the lay out on Google Earth.
This might help ?

newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #79
Wildcat45

It does. Thank you.

The Scene dock went from where the Air Con units are in a row top right. That's above the St5 scene dock and where the lift was. Studio 5 is the big block on the right. The darker strip of roof is basically is footprint of the dock there. Below that, the bigger and different coloured roof is Studio 1 Follow the darker strip left and where it goes light grey, that is the roof of Studio 2.

The raised light grey east-west roof that forms a "T" with the north-south facing block is the scene dock....that is to say it is on the ground floor, there were the control rooms for Studio 1 and 2 above along with a place called CTF which is where the station transmitted from and where Bill Steel used to read the birthdays!

There are four light and dark grey pitched rooves on the left of the bulding bordering the yard. That's where the dock widened out and there was access to the yard, and big doors into St 2.

That was Peter's haunt.
Old July 18th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #80
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

With "the entire" Tyne Tees TV Studios building having recently been demolished, the below (at first sight) can seem confusing.

However, this part of Tyne Tees TV was the Admin Block, effectively the Head Office area of TTTV, where all the bosses and thier staff were based. It was sold off back in the 1980s, when TTTV "merged" (as they say) with Yorkshire TV, and all of those functions were moved to Leeds.

Hence, this part of TTTV has survived the wrecking ball . .

Lugano helps Tyneside Vineyard church find a new home
by Iain Laing, The Journal, July 18th 2012

Tyneside Vineyard church have moved into part of the former Tyne Tees Television studios

DEVELOPER and property agent Lugano has helped a church find a new home in part of the former Tyne Tees Television studios in Newcastle. Tyneside Vineyard church had been looking for a new base for a long time from which to hold services and store food and clothing before taking it to disadvantaged people. Lugano linked it up with 85 City Road and helped it move in quickly so it could carry on doing good work for the local community and holding services.

David Bass, senior pastor of the Tyneside Vineyard, said: “We had been looking for suitable accommodation for a long time and found it difficult to get information or even a response from some companies. The Lugano team was brilliant. Richard and Scott from Lugano were straightforward and easy to work with, helping us to get change of use for the former offices, and working with us to ensure the required sound survey was completed."

“City Road is great as a location – it’s close to the city centre for people coming to our services, but we’re also within touching distance of communities like Byker, where we carry out much of our ‘Love Tyneside’ work.” Lugano director Richard Robson said: “We’re pleased to be able to help Tyneside Vineyard, and find a flexible shorter-term tenant for 85 City Road. It offers high-quality space for the church at an attractive rent for them.”

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/commerci...1140-31415841/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, development, developments, newcastle, newcastle students, project, project - newcastle area, projects, student accommodation, students