Tyne Tees TV Studios - Hotel, Flats & Student Accom | Newcastle | Various | U/C - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old October 8th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #121
sean.dotchin

Likes (Received): 5

Just to confirm, this development does not affect Aerial House (or Admin Block as it's being referred to), nor does it affect the Tyneside Vinyard Church (blue building next door). Both of these buildings are in use with a number of years left on the lease.

Aerial House has just had tens of thousands of pounds spent by the Landlord on repairing the Elevator.

Both buildings are now looking fairly dated though, and are located on what could be quite a valuable location, so whether they're around for the long-term, who knows.

Steve Ellwood liked this post
sean.dotchin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #122
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4766

Tyne Tees Television - Aerial House

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean.dotchin View Post
Just to confirm, this development does not affect Aerial House (or Admin Block as it's being referred to), nor does it affect the Tyneside Vinyard Church (blue building next door). Both of these buildings are in use with a number of years left on the lease.

Aerial House has just had tens of thousands of pounds spent by the Landlord on repairing the Elevator.

Both buildings are now looking fairly dated though, and are located on what could be quite a valuable location, so whether they're around for the long-term, who knows.
Couple of shots taken 4th September 2005 showing the buildings in question - Tyne Tees Television - Aerial House:

Images hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/City%20Road

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #123
sean.dotchin

A rare close-up view of the Aerial.

Tyne Tees shortly before being demolished

and the great fire of Byker, Tyne Tees now gone.

Steve Ellwood liked this post

Last edited by sean.dotchin; October 8th, 2013 at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #124
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 3784

TTTV site, City Road, Newcastle as viewed on Google Maps

Further clarification on TTTV site can be seen on this screen print of Google Maps image (after demolition but before any work) - hosted on Photobucket

The Student Accommodation is being built on the right hand side of the area

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #125
Wildcat45

Likes (Received): 37

Some cracking shots there. For all the time I was in that building - before and after I was born - I hever made it to the roof. I always assumed mast was ahchored more scurely that that. Just a few bolts eh? You'll have to watch that the scrapman doesn't come around and take it away in the night!

There would be some brilliant shots I guess from the top of that. It isn't that high up, so the views in terms of distance won't be very far. I doubt you can see the sea from there for example.

It wasn't actually an ariel as such - more a mast like you might see on a warship that is used to hang things off. It was used for links used by outside broadcast units but became the perfect location for microwave links - when they were introduced - and satellite downlinks and the like. I think most of the kit - apart from the sat stuff - was only able to operate line of sight. Again I think the mast can "see" Pontop Pike or Burnhope to link with microwave kit there.

It wasn't a transmitter. I understand the TV signals went via land line from Tyne Tees to a Post Office (Now BT) switching centre which was in Carliol Square. I guess the big build on Melbourne Street or Swan House may have also had something to do with it. I seem to remember my Dad (He was a producer not a technician so he probably knew in a second hand way) telling me there was some sort of main line comms line that went into the Melbourne Street BT building.

One reason why TTTV was built at City Road was its proximity to the 'phone infrastructure. I guess that's why the plan by rivals North East TV? in abotu 1980 envisaged studios being built at Manors. Similar location to the comms network.

The cables and stuff must all still be there. The main transmission centre called CTF was inside the now demolished City Road building. It occupied a big chunk of the floor infront of Studio 2 - but one floor up.

If anyone is interested in the technicalities of the mast and what it was used for, I can probably find out for you.

The Google Earth image is interesting. If you know the buidigns, you can make out where certain things were - studios, corridors, stair wells and the boozer of course!

Dan.
Wildcat45 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #126
thenorthumbrian
The Northumbrian

Likes (Received): 351

Quote:

Elevator ? Or as we say in Britain, lift.
Old October 9th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #127
Wildcat45

Elevator/lift, whatever, its a bloody scary ricketty lift in that building. I always avoided using it. Stairs, three at a time to the press office on the top floor as the only way. Well I was 18 at the time!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 9th, 2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old October 9th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #128
sean.dotchin

Elevator/lift whatever. The rickety lift was replaced about a decade ago, and the controller mechanism was replaced a couple of month ago. Wildcat absolutely spot on with his history, although it's called an Aerial (by me as well), it isn't, simply a tall structure to host the various bits and bobs. The last 'dish' was removed from it around 2005, quite a sight seeing it being lowered by pulley outside the office window, substantially bigger than you'd expect close up.

There are still signs of the old wiring infrastructure throughout the building, particularly in one room, ground level, rear of the building.
Old October 9th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #129
sean.dotchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat45 View Post
I always assumed mast was ahchored more scurely that that. Just a few bolts eh?
A better shot of one of its feet...

Old October 9th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #130
Wildcat45

Quote:
A better shot of one of its feet...

Cheers for that. It must be some weight. As far as I remember, there was no evidence of it inside the building in the ceiling.

The mast used to have an illuminated Tyne Tees logo on it in that gap just below the top.

Its a real bit of North East broadcasting heritage that mast. If it ever does come down, they should re-site it on the quayside or at the discovery museum.

Does the building still "shudder" occasionally? When I worked on the top floor, someone told me it did when it was windy or when a big truck went past.

The wiring in the basement is most probably where the TTT telephone exchange was. I take it the bar on the ground floor's long gone along with the "cinema foyer" entrance to the bosses suite of offices on the first floor. Out of that lift, turn right, through the doors?
Old October 9th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #131
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:
Cheers for that. It must be some weight. As far as I remember, there was no evidence of it inside the building in the ceiling.

The mast used to have an illuminated Tyne Tees logo on it in that gap just below the top.

Its a real bit of North East broadcasting heritage that mast. If it ever does come down, they should re-site it on the quayside or at the discovery museum.

Does the building still "shudder" occasionally? When I worked on the top floor, someone told me it did when it was windy or when a big truck went past.

The wiring in the basement is most probably where the TTT telephone exchange was. I take it the bar on the ground floor's long gone along with the "cinema foyer" entrance to the bosses suite of offices on the first floor. Out of that lift, turn right, through the doors?
Canny shot here of the two pubs still alive with the mast in the backfired - courtesy of the Newcastle City Libraries Archive Collection on Flickr:

061746:City Road Newcastle upon Tyne Maybury Malcolm 1995
Type : Photograph Medium : Print-colour Description : A view of City Road Newcastle upon Tyne taken in 1995. The photograph is looking up City Road towards Tyne Tees Television. In the centre to the left is the Rose and Crown.

image hosted on flickr

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old October 10th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #132
Wildcat45

Thanks Steve, The Rose and Crown. I still miss it. The funny thing was the Tyne Tees crowd would have fickle likes and dislikes. Sometimes the Egypt was the place to drink etc, then is was the Rose and Crown.
Old October 10th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #133
sean.dotchin

Quote:
Oh yes, still shudders, I'm on the top floor too, so probably experience your memories on a daily basis. There is a substantial gap, one full set of stairs, between the top 3rd floor, and the actual roof, so possibly some internal reinforcements for the mast (pure guess).

There is no trace of any bar on the ground floor, these days occupied by the Tyneside Vineyard Church, who open their doors to help feed and clothe some of City Roads 'less fortunate' people.
Old October 10th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #134
Wildcat45

Quote:
Oh yes, still shudders, I'm on the top floor too, so probably experience your memories on a daily basis. There is a substantial gap, one full set of stairs, between the top 3rd floor, and the actual roof, so possibly some internal reinforcements for the mast (pure guess).

There is no trace of any bar on the ground floor, these days occupied by the Tyneside Vineyard Church, who open their doors to help feed and clothe some of City Roads 'less fortunate' people.
What is it with Tyne Tees and churches? Studio 5 hosted a church before it was demolished.

It never occured to me there would be a "loft" or some sort of void aboe the floor. Makes sense. When i worked there, it never occured to me I'd be talking about the building 25 eyars later.

I guess the layout of the floors has chenged. When I was there I sat I guess bang in the centre of the building. The floor was divided off with a cash office at the front eastern end. There was a little post office/bank type window there. Then to the West was the press office with two offices actually looking west with great views of the Tyne Bridge. At the back of the building, there was a fire escape stairwell I think. It took you down to a door on Gibson Street - looking back I don't know why I never used it to go home via Manors Metro it would have saved me a long walk.

There were old 1950s Gents loos on that floor, on the east side between the butresses.

The bar on the ground floor may have been some sort of extension. You got to it by walking to the left of the lift shaft and round the back of the building. It was an attempt by TTTV - bear in mind the drinking clulture in the media of the 1960s and 70s - well after as well - to attract staff to having a beer or two "in house" to sort of control it. It was called the Club Bar. It was rarely used by staff who would rather large it up in a pub. The bar did see use as a facility for media launches etc. I remember meeting Danis Waterman and Rula Lenska there when I was about 12.

The floor below your floor had varying uses. It was divided into two for many years. The front part running the length of the building was the features department, the back secion was the newsroom.

More later....if you are interested.
Old October 10th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #135
sean.dotchin

The building layout hasn't really changed, loos and fire escape are still present as you describe, I guess it's purely the internal layout which you wouldn't recognise today, mostly open plan with some 'soft' partitioning, mainly private offices and meeting rooms, which can be moved relatively easily to suit business needs. Our main meeting room is pretty much the south west corner, with views over the bridges etc.

Fascinating stuff that you know the history so well.
Old October 14th, 2013, 01:28 PM   #136
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Tyne Tees Television - Aerial House

Some images of the former Tyne Tees Television mast, photographed from Sage, 13th October 2013.

Images hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/City%20Road

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old October 18th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #137
Ken O'Heed

Former Tyne Tees Television Studios, City Road, Newcastle - 386 student bedroom development, 17/10/13

Follow up to post #115 dated 06/10/13 some further pictures taken by myself Thursday 17/10/13 approx 1545 - 1600, including looking north from elevated vantage point, Level 4 (Roof) of St Ann's Multi Storey Car Park to show ongoing initial parts of reinforced concrete structure - images hosted on Photobucket

Work being carried out through http://www.northerndevelopments.co.uk/index.html

Hoardings on east elevation of site getting the artistic treatment

KEN
Old October 18th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #138
Ken O'Heed

Aerial House, City Rd, Newcastle, 17/10/13

Following earlier posts some current pictures of the building, taken by myself 17/10/13 approx 1600 - images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

Newcastle Historian liked this post
Old October 31st, 2013, 10:27 AM   #139
Ken O'Heed

Former Tyne Tees Television Studios, City Road, Newcastle - 386 student bedroom development, 30/10/13

Follow up to post #137 dated 18/10/13 some further pictures taken by myself Wednesday 30/10/13 approx 1115 - 1145, including looking north east from elevated vantage point, Level 4 (Roof) of St Ann's Multi Storey Car Park to show ongoing parts of reinforced insitu and precast concrete concrete structure - images hosted on Photobucket

KEN
Old December 12th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #140
Ken O'Heed

Former Tyne Tees Television Studios, City Road, Newcastle - 386 student bedroom development, 12/12/13, Part 1 of 2

Follow up to post #139 dated 31/10/13 some further pictures (over 2 posts) taken by myself Thursday 12/12/13 in period approx 1130 (Gateshead) - 1300 including looking north east from elevated vantage point, Level 4 (Roof) of St Ann's Multi Storey Car Park to show ongoing parts of reinforced insitu and precast concrete concrete structure

Has an amicable conversation with site Supervisor, Ian concerning the development and if I can remember some of what was said:-

Second crane, smaller than that on site at present is to arrive in new year

Maximum number of floors, 9 at east elevation

Precast concrete wall panels (as shown in pictures) are manufactured in Grantham

Subject good weather conditions a whole floor can be constructed in about 13 working days

Development now coming into sight when viewed from Gateshead

View from car park roof

View from City Rd etc

Other views looking south

Images hosted on Photobucket

More on following post

KEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, development, developments, newcastle, newcastle students, project, project - newcastle area, projects, student accommodation, students