Vilnius projects vs. Riga projects - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Lithuania

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #41
John

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianGG
I don't know if it's just me, but after looking at the pictures in another thread it seems that the Vilnius' NCC is situated just in the middle of nowhere. Towers are nice but the surrounding area makes me think of a much smaller town than Vilnius actually is. Most of the highrises in other cities in Europe are situated in in city centres or other very prosperous areas, with modern infrastructure, probably it is all still to come in Vilnius, (besides the big road then next to towers, looks cool) but once again - it's sad to see what's around the towers...
You're quite right, the development started in completely neglected area just two years ago, before this there was nothing except shabby "Lietuva Hotel" (which was restored a year ago) and few other Soviet-built things which were forgotten for decades. Now the area which is seen behind the newly built highrises is known as "Snipiskes", it's considered as the worst place of the city, filled with huts built in interwar times where not much changed since then. Now the whole area was selected as key priority in development of the new center area, those few new highrises were the very first new objects built after decades of neglection, the infrastructure (the main street, all communications, underground crossings etc.) is also newly built. The area is very close to the city center (just on the opposite bank of the river) and has big empty spaces for new buildings and lots of worthless buildings which can be demolished so the purpose is to create a new modern city center for offices, state institutions and private enterprises while leaving the old city center for entertainment, bars and tourism (now most of the state institutions and offices are located in the old center which is not suitable for this).

Quote:
Vilnius NCC just seems be situated in area where not so much can be changed/built in the nearest future.
in this picture behind the new highrises you see a big area filled with small buildings, it's those huts I mentioned. Area development plan includes the redevelopment of whole this area with new street network and areas for office, residential and other quarters, of course all those old huts will be wiped out as it was done in the place of the new buildings you see here

this is the model photo taken from the same angle as the previous photo
John no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2004, 01:25 PM   #42
Edd
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Vilnius NCC just seems be situated in area where not so much can be changed/built in the nearest future.
Very interesting opinion, but I can't understand why instead of big area with empty spaces and small wooden huts can't be built something new while at the same time big concrete buildings are being demolished in Vilnius and instead of them new projects are being realised? And there are official plans by municipality of Vilnius to redevelop the whole area - not some rumours set by a few people at ssc forum .

Edit: And that model which John posted wasn't made by John himself - it was made by our city planners .
Edd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 01:35 PM   #43
John

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd
Edit: And that model which John posted wasn't made by John himself
LOL
John no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2004, 01:53 PM   #44
LatvianGG
Hotel Business

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
You're quite right, the development started in completely neglected area just two years ago, before this there was nothing except shabby "Lietuva Hotel" (which was restored a year ago) and few other Soviet-built things which were forgotten for decades. Now the area which is seen behind the newly built highrises is known as "Snipiskes", it's considered as the worst place of the city, filled with huts built in interwar times where not much changed since then. Now the whole area was selected as key priority in development of the new center area, those few new highrises were the very first new objects built after decades of neglection, the infrastructure (the main street, all communications, underground crossings etc.) is also newly built. The area is very close to the city center (just on the opposite bank of the river) and has big empty spaces for new buildings and lots of worthless buildings which can be demolished so the purpose is to create a new modern city center for offices, state institutions and private enterprises while leaving the old city center for entertainment, bars and tourism (now most of the state institutions and offices are located in the old center which is not suitable for this).

in this picture behind the new highrises you see a big area filled with small buildings, it's those huts I mentioned. Area development plan includes the redevelopment of whole this area with new street network and areas for office, residential and other quarters, of course all those old huts will be wiped out as it was done in the place of the new buildings you see here

This explains a lot I really hope that the rumors I heard of the same redevelopment to be realised in Riga Maskacha district will come out and would be realised the same way they are planned for Vilnius.
LatvianGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #45
Edd
BANNED

@John:

And btw that neglected area is in the city center (very often it's written that it's 1 km from the city center) - I know that it's very unique situation.
There is one more shot which shows the place:
Old September 17th, 2004, 02:14 PM   #46
Gatis

Likes (Received): 591

I heard of the same redevelopment to be realised in Riga Maskacha district will come out and would be realised the same way they are planned for Vilnius.
I hope that Maskachka (in Riga) will not face the same fate as Snipiskes. Seems, in Snipiskes there really is not much value but Maskavas suburb un Riga is historic, with street network from 14th century and with hundreds of valuable buildings... In Maskachka there is planned evolutionary not revolutionary development.
Old September 17th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #47
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 305

i have been to vilnius 2 times.. yet i have failed to see any city centre, well of course NCC is.. but other stuff just seemed like old town! how much did land cost at ncc before the construction?
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 02:51 PM   #48
Edd
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1le
i have been to vilnius 2 times.. yet i have failed to see any city centre, well of course NCC is.. but other stuff just seemed like old town! how much did land cost at ncc before the construction?
I don't know how you imagine the city center. If you expected to see some monument with the words "the city center of Vilnius" written on it then Vilnius does not have such a city center . The old town is a part of city center, big district called "NewTown" also belongs to the city center, NCC is also a part of city center. In the places mentioned before are located offices where people work, museums, government institutions, etc. etc.
Old September 17th, 2004, 02:54 PM   #49
ch1le
always on

ok ok, i rememberd sorry! i too alcoholized when staying in vilnius the last time. I only remeber girls and scrapers... but its coming back to me...
Old September 17th, 2004, 05:43 PM   #50
Mantas
in action

Edited: Well, I didn't see there another page in this topic

Well guys,

the locations of the Vilnius high-rise district is chosen perfectly, as you can see there are only huts in that districts. In the future plans those hut's will be torn down and a downtown, very modern part of the city with offices and entertaniment will be built.

This district was built during interwar ploish period and somehow managed to be saved by the soviets. Although now the invasion to the district is already undergoing

Here you can see a plan for this district, the white parts won't be changed

I don't actually see another location more fit for high-rises in Vilnius. And as for being of the middle of nowhere, that's just it's hilly landscape

TINKLE.************
forum Cities & Architecture
Mantas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 06:18 PM   #51
Janis_LV
Janis_LV

Aren’t the buildings behind the skyscrapers in Vilnius of historical value? I mean, they could be shabby looking now, but doesn't they reflect the life of the people at that times? In Riga there are many wooden buildings around the center - most of them are in a bad condition, sometimes as a distinct piece they doesn't have any architectural value, but together they are a monument of history and reflect the life of the yesteryears. Every time when somebody in the middle of a historical quarter (not only center, but also the historical suburbs) wants to build something or demolish something, there are big public discussion in media and society, whether it's good architecture or not. Sometimes that's the reason why some projects are waiting for the approval to be built for years. I am surprised how rapid both in Tallinn and Vilnius high-rise buildings are built. In Riga just because of the height of sunstone and its location on the riverside - we were warned that Riga historical center could be eliminated from UNESCO. In Tallinn there are at least 5 high-rises in the same distance from the old town as the Saules akmens in Riga. And unlike in Riga, these high-rises in Tallinn are in center side of the city (Saules akmens is on the other side of the river, what's not usually see as center). Is Tallinn still in UNESCOs list?

Actually in Riga center there is prohibited to build new buildings with a height exceeding 21m. Therefore there were long and painful discussions about the Stockmann center because it was couple of meters higher and now the same with the new Office center in Citadele (to the north from the old town) because on the corner it has something like a tower 26 m high.

I think when the guys from the State Inspection for Heritage Protection (They are in charge to prohibit to build something in Riga center and they hate buildings over 21m height) see the projects and buildings in the center of Vilnius and Tallinn their hair stands on end.

Last edited by Janis_LV; October 1st, 2004 at 06:36 PM.
Janis_LV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 06:39 PM   #52
Mantas
in action

Nope, some of them probably are, but others are just nothing worth. The district was built during the polish occupation in interwar period, so it's not that old. Moreover, it's a very dangerous and nasty place, thus I don't see a reason to preserve Sznipiszki

TINKLE.************
forum Cities & Architecture
Mantas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 08:43 PM   #53
Gatis

Each city has different fate and different approaches. Wooden heritage in Riga could be one thing and Snipiskes in Vilnius - another thing.
But regarding the trick with UNESCO World Heritage - I really do not understand how Vilnius and Tallinn have escaped huge international scandals. F.e. Koln Cathedral is put on the list of heritage in danger just because on the other side of Rhine there are built some highrises. You may also learn how it was with Wien - their planned highrises also were in some distance from World Heritage monument but they had to terminate these projects.
On the other hand - in London near Greenwich there are built highrises and no scandals heard.

Anyway - I liked that in Riga there was that much noise around these new constructions. Although that UNESCO scandal around Saules akmens was the most stupid of them all.
This has slowed down numerous projects and has put huge pressure on developers and architects. But it will end with better looks of the city.
Old October 16th, 2004, 11:05 PM   #54
Romas

Likes (Received): 8

As I understood main area for construction of skyscrpers in Riga should be southern part of Kipsala
Picture of Kipsala from Gatis thread Riga City development news

Picture of Kipsala from Gatis thread All highrises if Riga - encyclopaedia

Photo taken in June, 2004

Some words about Kipsala. This weekend I walked through that island from Enkuru iela to Radisson SAS hotel by Agenskalana licis.

BTW, what is started to built close to Lauksaimnieku centrs / Parex banka in Eskporta iela?

The RSAS Daugava is most terrible among in Baltics RSASes. But there are nice views to old Riga and to Saules akmens from the RSASD

Unfortunately middle part of Kipsala is to become low heigh residential area for new Latvians.
Due to southern part of Kipsala I am not sure is this place the best due to traffic and parking problems. (Since this Friday traffic for vehicles is prohibited on bridges 7am to 10 am )
We will see is enough places for other skyscrapers after opening of Hansabanka in Saules akmens building.
Another problem could arise due to land speculants. I don't know do areas for building are prepared and how prices rose since begining of that Saules akmens how. At least rising of prices should be the 2x-10x (same as in Šnipiškės of Vilnius ).

Some posts from other possible places for skyscrapers in Riga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatis
I heard of the same redevelopment to be realised in Riga Maskacha district will come out and would be realised the same way they are planned for Vilnius.
I hope that Maskachka (in Riga) will not face the same fate as Snipiskes. Seems, in Snipiskes there really is not much value but Maskavas suburb un Riga is historic, with street network from 14th century and with hundreds of valuable buildings... In Maskachka there is planned evolutionary not revolutionary development.
Maskačka (Maskavas iela), June 2004

There are other maskačkas with nice wies of old Riga too. Especially in Pardaugava (left coast of Daugava river).
Akmenu iela, June, 2004
Romas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2004, 11:42 PM   #55
Gatis

Radisson SAS in Riga is really sad looking. The architecture of the building itself is sad and the city has not brought in order the streets around it. This creates bad impression about Riga for many visitors... At the same time city is reconstructing streets which look better. Weirdos...
@Romas - near Ministry of Agriculture there is built this:

At first I did not like this idea, but now I like it very much.

Middle part of Kipsala has got valuable wooden architecture from 17th - 19th century and it is good that these new rich people are reconstructing it - in many cases very thoroughly and exactly. It would be sad if this value would be lost. There are no highrises planned.

From this Friday the traffic for lorries over the bridges in daytime is forbidden. This decreases the traffic jams per some 10 - 20%. Still better...
It is becoming more and more clear that Kipsala will have to compete with two more highrise clusters in Riga - at both ends of Northern Tunnel. These places will be much better available for traffic. Still Kipsala and its surroundings currently have plans for 6 - 7 more highrises.
Old October 17th, 2004, 11:04 AM   #56
ch1le
always on

glad to hear, gatis, that there are still planned highrises there, in tallinn main cluster Maakri is the strongest, and will stay as it, although the other cluster Liivalaia, will be stronger when it comes to finances and business, the third one, is fastly developing into a good region, but its still far from Liivalaia and Maakri. The average height in those clusters are respectfully: 23 - 12 - 14
All are quite visible from some angles, and form a cool skyline.
Old December 1st, 2004, 03:31 PM   #57
sky-ride

Has anybody got information about that?

-----
Balasta Properties plans to build a highrise building in Kipsala in Riga in the first half of 2005.

The building, known as Da Vinci, will be designed by Meinhard von Gerkan in cooperation with Avotins, Vincents un Partneri architects. It will cost around EUR 40 million.

Meinhard von Gerkan will present the design in Latvia on November 30.

Balasta Properties plans to receive building permit in March 2005 and finish the construction by November 2006.

Source: BBN
sky-ride no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 03:36 PM   #58
Gatis

Yeah, @sky-ride - I described this in my Riga City development thread, with rendering as well.
Old December 1st, 2004, 04:12 PM   #59
sky-ride

Thanks Gatis!
Sorry for ignorance, just didn't have time for search. With reference much easier.
Thanks once again
sky-ride no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 04:28 PM   #60
pablonis

if latvians started to talk about infrastructuale projects like bridges and stuff, i should mencion that next year the roads around vilnius will be started to build, to reduce the car number in the city centre - the roads will coast about one billion litas, it's about 300 mln euros,also you told that in ryga is now building a biggest fun park in baltics - infact, that's not true, because the biggest prak is now started to build around SIEMENS arena and in few years the bigghest park will be built in elektrenai (that's about 40 km from vilnius), besides that vilnius has 6 universities and two biotechnology, material science and measurement, laser and IT enterprises also a huge institute of phisics, and several more smaller institutes and there is a plan tu unite them in one place (sauletekis valey), and when united, it will be one of the largest science places in eastern, or mayby the whole europe, there are plans to build there new huge laboratory's as i know, so in some years vilnius will become a city where a new technology's will be developed with a enormous speed and size, so i think vilnius has a better chanses to become most modern city in middle and eastern europe (that's the main object infact), and also i think that we shouldn't fight whose city is better, for reall i think we should help more each other, couse while we'r fighting, a city like klaipeda may well run over us, just look at the plans they have got(in a near future they will bring down almoust 1/3 of the city, to build a huge harbour, there are plans of a new scyscrapers much more taller than the once it tallin, a huge district of apartments like these one's:
http://www.************/index.php?opt...&id=73&Itemid= ), allright i talk to much

srry for so many mistakes, it's just that i was writing very fast

Last edited by pablonis; December 16th, 2004 at 04:37 PM.
pablonis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement