Vilnius projects vs. Riga projects - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Lithuania


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 16th, 2004, 10:39 PM   #81
Gatis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,198
Likes (Received): 591

@pablonis - this is unfair. I am not taking Riga as No.1. in everything. This competition was brought up by Lithuanians. I answered to @Mantaz post - accounted the projects coming to be realised in Riga. I really do not think that Riga is going to beat everyone in everything. Am I guilty that Lithuanians at beginning do not show all what they have in pocket? I asked you to account the projects and never said that Riga is the complete winner. Btw. Lithuania has nearly two times more people than Latvia - and more things are happening and will happen in Lithuania. If it would be otherwise - it would be strange.

Next - are we guilty that Riga is the dominating settlement in Latvia? And is it something bad (then - in what way)? There are historical reasons - for most part of history Riga was bigger centre than just capital of Latvia (the later exists only 85 years). A bit like medieval Singapore on important trade route. This is the fate of the city. It does not mean that people in Tukums, Cesis or most other Latvian towns are living in stone age - they just are not living in city.

What I had to do to be "correct"? To say - "no, of course nobody can stand near Vilnius... Sorry to bother you"? Is this the only right attitude? And - please - do not say that you are always correct. There are rather many times when in each Baltic country are announced projects as "biggest in Baltics" which is not true at the moment of this announcement. That's the part of advertisement game.
Yes, I found it - "GoPlanet" in Riga announce themselves as the biggest entertainment park in Baltics. Sorry, then I somehow believed them. In Riga metro alone there are two bigger amusement parks existing and one far bigger in preparation than their project.

Ehhh.... Why I ever entered this competition. That was stupid.
__________________
Wondermondo - an armchair guide to world attractions - most interesting landmarks and attractions in the world!
Gatis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:02 PM   #82
Geex
Registered User
 
Geex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vilnius / Lithuania
Posts: 486
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatis
@pablonis - this is unfair. I am not taking Riga as No.1. in everything. This competition was brought up by Lithuanians. I answered to @Mantaz post - accounted the projects coming to be realised in Riga. I really do not think that Riga is going to beat everyone in everything. Am I guilty that Lithuanians at beginning do not show all what they have in pocket? I asked you to account the projects and never said that Riga is the complete winner. Btw. Lithuania has nearly two times more people than Latvia - and more things are happening and will happen in Lithuania. If it would be otherwise - it would be strange.

Next - are we guilty that Riga is the dominating settlement in Latvia? And is it something bad (then - in what way)? There are historical reasons - for most part of history Riga was bigger centre than just capital of Latvia (the later exists only 85 years). A bit like medieval Singapore on important trade route. This is the fate of the city. It does not mean that people in Tukums, Cesis or most other Latvian towns are living in stone age - they just are not living in city.

What I had to do to be "correct"? To say - "no, of course nobody can stand near Vilnius... Sorry to bother you"? Is this the only right attitude? And - please - do not say that you are always correct. There are rather many times when in each Baltic country are announced projects as "biggest in Baltics" which is not true at the moment of this announcement. That's the part of advertisement game.
Yes, I found it - "GoPlanet" in Riga announce themselves as the biggest entertainment park in Baltics. Sorry, then I somehow believed them. In Riga metro alone there are two bigger amusement parks existing and one far bigger in preparation than their project.

Ehhh.... Why I ever entered this competition. That was stupid.
I think you are taking everything to seriuos. None of us think that Vilnius is better than Riga or Tallinn (i hope ).

All cities in Baltic states are charming and gets a lot of attention from investors. I do think we don't need such discussion's here, we can never compare two cities or projects in them.
Geex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:03 PM   #83
ch1le
always on
 
ch1le's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: tallinn/Tartu
Posts: 4,716
Likes (Received): 305

just 1 question Geex, why did you type Ryga and Tallin? they are some made up cities of yours, and are you just makeing fun of us!
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:05 PM   #84
Geex
Registered User
 
Geex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vilnius / Lithuania
Posts: 486
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1le
just 1 question Geex, why did you type Ryga and Tallin? they are some made up cities of yours, and are you just makeing fun of us!
No no don't think anything bad, i just writed Riga as i spell it in Lithuanian and mistiped Tallinn. Sorry.
Geex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:12 PM   #85
ch1le
always on
 
ch1le's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: tallinn/Tartu
Posts: 4,716
Likes (Received): 305

is riga in Lithuanian Ryga? :P kewl
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:14 PM   #86
Geex
Registered User
 
Geex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vilnius / Lithuania
Posts: 486
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1le
is riga in Lithuanian Ryga? :P kewl
Nope, Riga in Lithuanian is Riga, but it's my who allways spells it with "y" and i sometimes write it this way, still don't think anything bad it's my mistakes.
Geex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:14 PM   #87
John
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,422
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geex
None of us think that Vilnius is better than Riga or Tallinn (i hope ).
WHAT?! Are you crazy?! Of course Vilnius is better than Riga or Tallinn!

And I think that for most Rigians Riga is MUCH better than Vilnius or Tallinn and for Tallinners Tallinn is better than Riga or Vilnius (or even Helsinki ).
One thing is as we compare cities in terms of our personal attitude and another thing is as we compare cities in terms of some objective facts such as population, GDP per capita etc.
The first is very clear (that's where I think that Vilnius is better than anything else, because it's better FOR ME ). And the second one is always open for a discussion.
Gatis, I don't think you're making a mistake entering such "competition". I don't see anything wrong if we compare some stats and stuff like this (in fact I like it very much). Isn't it good to know some more things about our cities and try to compare them with each other? That's what is done everywhere and that helps to realise what is what in this world
John no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:17 PM   #88
Mantas
in action
 
Mantas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,120
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geex
Nope, Riga in Lithuanian is Riga, but it's my who allways spells it with "y" and i sometimes write it this way, still don't think anything bad it's my mistakes.
AFAIK it used to be Ryga till now, but maybe they changed that
__________________
What was said on different forum, shouldn't be a matter here.

TINKLE.************
forum Cities & Architecture
Mantas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:19 PM   #89
Geex
Registered User
 
Geex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vilnius / Lithuania
Posts: 486
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
WHAT?! Are you crazy?! Of course Vilnius is better than Riga or Tallinn!

And I think that for most Rigians Riga is MUCH better than Vilnius or Tallinn and for Tallinners Tallinn is better than Riga or Vilnius (or even Helsinki ).
One thing is as we compare cities in terms of our personal attitude and another thing is as we compare cities in terms of some objective facts such as population, GDP per capita etc.
The first is very clear (that's where I think that Vilnius is better than anything else, because it's better FOR ME ). And the second one is always open for a discussion.
Gatis, I don't think you're making a mistake entering such "competition". I don't see anything wrong if we compare some stats and stuff like this (in fact I like it very much). Isn't it good to know some more things about our cities and try to compare them with each other? That's what is done everywhere and that helps to realise what is what in this world
But i think this discussion will end "in terms of our personal attitude". I do like our capital most, that's why i don't want such competition because i don't know can i be objective enought.
Geex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:19 PM   #90
ch1le
always on
 
ch1le's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: tallinn/Tartu
Posts: 4,716
Likes (Received): 305

sometimes comparing is fun, but when people start throwing "facts that are idiotic" around it becomes rather sad. But yeah, generally it is like that you go to tallinn ask which is better they say Tallinn, in riga, Riga, and so on, i think its totally normal :P, but figuring out what is the case really, by comparing GDP, PPP, so on is quite productive, entertaining and informative!
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:22 PM   #91
Geex
Registered User
 
Geex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vilnius / Lithuania
Posts: 486
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantaz
AFAIK it used to be Ryga till now, but maybe they changed that
Well then i'm totally lost in Lithuanian.. all this time i thought we use Riga..

Hehe one damn funny and stupid thing..
Geex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:22 PM   #92
Mantas
in action
 
Mantas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,120
Likes (Received): 0

Now I know a new and good swearword that can be applied for this situation:

"Maybe you just go and discuss with Coth!" [no offence ]
__________________
What was said on different forum, shouldn't be a matter here.

TINKLE.************
forum Cities & Architecture
Mantas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:23 PM   #93
ch1le
always on
 
ch1le's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: tallinn/Tartu
Posts: 4,716
Likes (Received): 305

I also like these competitions sometimes because its cool to see replys come so fast!
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:25 PM   #94
Mantas
in action
 
Mantas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,120
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geex
Well then i'm totally lost in Lithuanian.. all this time i thought we use Riga..

Hehe one damn funny and stupid thing..
Hehe, don't you know a store named "Ryga" in Antakalnis?

@ch1le Ryga maybe is funny, but estonian Riia is funnier
__________________
What was said on different forum, shouldn't be a matter here.

TINKLE.************
forum Cities & Architecture
Mantas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:27 PM   #95
ch1le
always on
 
ch1le's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: tallinn/Tartu
Posts: 4,716
Likes (Received): 305

Hmm, never noticed it lol :P Riia :P lol... it is funny .)
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:29 PM   #96
Geex
Registered User
 
Geex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vilnius / Lithuania
Posts: 486
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantaz
Hehe, don't you know a store named "Ryga" in Antakalnis?

@ch1le Ryga maybe is funny, but estonian Riia is funnier
I know i just never noticed was it Riga or Ryga
Geex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:43 PM   #97
John
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,422
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantaz

"Maybe you just go and discuss with Coth!" [no offence ]
If anybody thinks that Vilnius is not the most prosperous and generally the best city in the world, they are Lithuanophobes!
John no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:31 AM   #98
pablonis
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 281
Likes (Received): 0

Gatis:
srry if i insulted you, i realy didn't mean that
pablonis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:54 AM   #99
pablonis
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 281
Likes (Received): 0

hey and i am really telling you all that you shouldn't underestimate klaipeda only because there are only 200 000 inhabitants in it, infact in klaipedas region is living more people then in kaunas and talinn cities (about 450 - 500 thousand people), also it has a big harbor, witch will be increased two or even three times, it is also the most northern harbor in baltic sea witch don't freeze in winter. But i stick to my opinion, that every citie in baltics has it's own prospects, like ryga is the largest city in baltics, almoust an only city in country (so almoust all atention goes to her), a beutifull river, sea only few km away and islands, witch i would love to have in vilnius, then talinn, he also has it's plans with helsinki (as i heard they are planing some kind o a tunnel under sea betwen them), vilnius and kaunas is building so cald "dipolis" (two city's in one)with almoust 1,7 mln people in that dipolis teritory and as i mentioned the future of dipolis is fast science development and the reaserch of new technology's, so as i said all cities have their own prospect's. and i think that nobody realy would argue with me when i say that at the time vilnius with it's project's (not only the scyscrapers and stuff like that) is far more ahead than any city in baltics. A few years ago talinn was leading, now vilnius, in future maybe riga kaunas klaipeda talinn again, or even tartu(aufcourse it's just a joke, but nobody knows, maybe for real as someone told here, the rusians will bombard a shit out of us )

srry for my english again
pablonis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2004, 01:01 AM   #100
Dalmo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Great comparison. It seems to me that all three Baltic capitals seem to be going great in regards to highrises. At least you have competiton. In Croatia, there seems to be no competition to Zagreb's current construction boom with our neighbours. So far most high rises are office buildings but soon we will also have classy highrise apartments in out new city centre. Great stuff guys.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Projects in Lithuania | Projektai Lietuvoje Dompcz Lithuania 305 March 18th, 2019 07:30 PM
RIGA | Projects & Construction Gatis DN Archives 31 November 11th, 2006 04:26 PM
Vilnius, Riga, Tallinn en een foto van ondergetekende Tim B Fotoforum 3 October 7th, 2006 07:48 PM


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us