Central Station Redevelopment | Newcastle | Various | U/C - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 13th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #81
Stamford
Registered User
 
Stamford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Crawley
Posts: 3,127
Likes (Received): 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Wonder why no one was there from Network Rail, after all they are the owners of the building?
There may well have been. I first spoke to a lady from Eastcoast, least I thought her ID badge had an Eastcoast band on, but I may have been mistaken, but she talked me through the plans internally. Then I asked about outside and also whether the current road works were connected....and she passed me onto a guy from City Council who stressed that nothing outside was firm yet, but went through the current "ideas" on taxi, parking, traffic, pedestrianisation etc.

All the necessary planning applications, traffic orders, public consultations have yet to be gone through for external work.

Everything will be on the planning portal in due course (This Friday I think was mentioned) as far as the internal plans are concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Who was thinking of buying Baron House to demolish it and make the site into an open space?
I mentioned as an aside, the discussions on here about Baron house, a city square etc. to the council guy and he said "it had been discussed as a possibility in the past, but now the building had been purchased by Hilton, it couldn't happen anyway"
__________________
Recently repatriated "Expat" southerner, living in West Sussex again after 29 years away, mostly in Tyne & Wear - Regular picture taker and loads of pictures taken most weeks.......

My Photostream on Flikr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Stamford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:45 AM   #82
the_sage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hexham
Posts: 291
Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood

No expense spared on those boards - creased and looking as though they were cobbled together with not a lot of care.
Yes that and the images produced on Sketchup!
the_sage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #83
Adrian_Swall
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,771
Likes (Received): 178

Wonder if 'Head of Steam' would take over the other station bar - the Newcastle Hero?
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #84
Stamford
Registered User
 
Stamford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Crawley
Posts: 3,127
Likes (Received): 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamford View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post
Wonder if 'Head of Steam' would take over the other station bar - the Newcastle Hero?
There is provision for a third pub, extreme left hand end of picture - maybe they could have that one
__________________
Recently repatriated "Expat" southerner, living in West Sussex again after 29 years away, mostly in Tyne & Wear - Regular picture taker and loads of pictures taken most weeks.......

My Photostream on Flikr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Stamford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #85
bite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Likes (Received): 0

Great news about this development, will make a much better impression to visitors. I hope the floor tiles in the renders will be the ones used, they look great.

There is scaffolding up on platform 4 at the north end of the platform, is this related?
bite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #86
Dazza1303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 156
Likes (Received): 6

Just asked a few questions of contacts East Coast, just to confirm

* there is no south entrance included from Forth Street, they have aspirations for this but subject to additional funding.

* the refurb will not have any effect on the Centurion Lease, so the deli conservatory will be unaffected.

* the new ticket office is going to be ground floor where crew rooms currently exist, this is before sainburys think the doors are posted as station offices on the outside just outside the portico.

* the planning application was submitted to NCC on the 15th March, not sure why there is a delay with it being available on the planning portal.
Dazza1303 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #87
No Opinion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Most places
Posts: 2,147
Likes (Received): 889

Great idea to inhabit the portico. Grade 1 listed building or not it would have been great to open up the portico roof (inspirations to royal arcade?) and throw more light in. I have always found the sense of space within the portico gloomy and underwhelming compared the rest. Dobson did indeed have something more aspirational in mind than three dim skylights.
Does the ticket office seem a little remote? Where will the all important information display going?
No Opinion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 12:33 AM   #88
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor
 
Steve Ellwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne/Whitley Bay
Posts: 43,037
Likes (Received): 4766

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Opinion View Post
Great idea to inhabit the portico. Grade 1 listed building or not it would have been great to open up the portico roof (inspirations to royal arcade?) and throw more light in. I have always found the sense of space within the portico gloomy and underwhelming compared the rest. Dobson did indeed have something more aspirational in mind than three dim skylights.
Does the ticket office seem a little remote? Where will the all important information display going?
Perhaps it will be interesting to wait to see if English Heritage give consent to the change in purpose of the portico - i.e. built to permit passengers to be taken by wheeled transport into the cover of the station, alighting in the portico. Purpose for its construction?
__________________
Regards

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 12:50 AM   #89
No Opinion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Most places
Posts: 2,147
Likes (Received): 889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Perhaps it will be interesting to wait to see if English Heritage give consent to the change in purpose of the portico - i.e. built to permit passengers to be taken by wheeled transport into the cover of the station, alighting in the portico. Purpose for its construction?
I guess it could be justified that its adapting the use of the existing to better reflect the users ie. majoritively pedestrian based, and the original 'wheeled transport' of coaches are not comparable to motor vehicles.

What I do think though is that central station when built was a new typology of building not adequately tested, and that the experimental nature of the layout at the time has shortcomings now in terms of a lack of a large holding space for pedestrian arrival and distribution. If you compare CS to say waterloo which has a huge arrival space it is obvious that the original design could not account for this need, and the portico would be a reasonable redress of this issue.
Having said that, it does seem to be more an exercise in shoehorning retail space! Something does seem lost in not alighting within the grand portico
No Opinion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 12:54 AM   #90
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor
 
Steve Ellwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne/Whitley Bay
Posts: 43,037
Likes (Received): 4766

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Opinion View Post
I guess it could be justified that its adapting the use of the existing to better reflect the users ie. majoritively pedestrian based, and the original 'wheeled transport' of coaches are not comparable to motor vehicles.

What I do think though is that central station when built was a new typology of building not adequately tested, and that the experimental nature of the layout at the time has shortcomings now in terms of a lack of a large holding space for pedestrian arrival and distribution. If you compare CS to say waterloo which has a huge arrival space it is obvious that the original design could not account for this need, and the portico would be a reasonable redress of this issue.
Having said that, it does seem to be more an exercise in shoehorning retail space! Something does seem lost in not alighting within the grand portico
Well time will tell but reading some of the comments on the thread you would think it is a done deal - I kind of think that may be far from the truth.
__________________
Regards

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 12:59 AM   #91
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist
 
Newcastle Historian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 21,514
Likes (Received): 2042

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Opinion View Post
What I do think though is that central station when built was a new typology of building not adequately tested, and that the experimental nature of the layout at the time has shortcomings now in terms of a lack of a large holding space for pedestrian arrival and distribution. If you compare CS to say waterloo which has a huge arrival space it is obvious that the original design could not account for this need, and the portico would be a reasonable redress of this issue.
Having said that, it does seem to be more an exercise in shoehorning retail space! Something does seem lost in not alighting within the grand portico

Dobsons original design for the portico, would have been interesting in the light of current plans . .

Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:11 PM   #92
Dazza1303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 156
Likes (Received): 6

Well after being told by my contact at East Coast the application had been submitted on the 15th March, I was curious to know why the plans hadn't appeared on the portal as yet! After ringing the planning department at NCC their response was that the application isn't a valid application, likely to mean they haven't provided all the required information in the submitted plans. They also said not to expect anything in the near future as there is alot of documents relating to this application to upload. Curiously when I queried the application with the planning department they referred to it as the central station new entrance. Really hope it's not going to be half hearted, and that they also address the other platforms across the bridge and facilities.
Dazza1303 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 01:28 AM   #93
cranfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 986
Likes (Received): 64

You would think that some smartening-up effort might go in on platforms 3&4 at least. I don't hold out much hope for 5-8 though, they're just used by local commuters, think ourselves lucky to have roofs on the carriages.
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:45 AM   #94
Wildcat45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 573
Likes (Received): 37

I would hate for the station to be spoilt - but I think listing and heritage based restrictions should not stop a bulding being useful.

If modernisation is of a very VERY high standard and not paying lip service to the latest fashonable trend, then alterations should be considered on building like stations. They are stil in use for the role they were designed for - but things change.

I am in two minds about the Portico. A grand, covered entrance to Newcaslte - or exit if you prefer is a great idea. Right now it is a mish mash of cabs, with vague dropping off points and a messy queue trailing out of the end of the station.

What is the solution? York seems to do it in a lighter and better way.
Wildcat45 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 01:35 PM   #95
WilfBurnsFan
Registered User
 
WilfBurnsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 2,713
Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat45 View Post
Right now it is a mish mash of cabs, with vague dropping off points and a messy queue trailing out of the end of the station.
An alternative take: railway stations are exciting places: departures, arrivals, comings, goings, and the cabs are an integral part of that. The porte cochere was designed by Dobson as a dry dropping off/picking up place for passengers, and 160 years later (well, not quite so much as the portico was later than the rest...) it is still fulfilling that function. It should be allowed to continue doing so, rather than being blocked up for some temporary whim of fashion.
__________________
And another thing about the 1944 ARP scandal...
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 01:47 PM   #96
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor
 
Steve Ellwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne/Whitley Bay
Posts: 43,037
Likes (Received): 4766

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
An alternative take: railway stations are exciting places: departures, arrivals, comings, goings, and the cabs are an integral part of that. The porte cochere was designed by Dobson as a dry dropping off/picking up place for passengers, and 160 years later (well, not quite so much as the portico was later than the rest...) it is still fulfilling that function. It should be allowed to continue doing so, rather than being blocked up for some temporary whim of fashion.
Yes - commerce versus heritage
__________________
Regards

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:22 PM   #97
Dazza1303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 156
Likes (Received): 6

well after being told by the planning department yesterday the application wasn't valid I find the planning application posted today! Can they really be trusted with telling us the truth?

Listed Building Application: Alterations to the existing porte-cochere to pedestrian use consisting of glazing in existing arched openings, new stone flooring, flush soffits, installation of freestanding retail units and self service ticket machines including new service connections and lighting. Demolition of the existing ticket office on the concourse and construction of a new fully glazed building accommodating retail units. Relocation and realignment of ticket barriers and removal of free standing retail units. Refurbishment and alteration to part of the existing station building at the west end for the travel centre and public ticketing, public toilets, back of house staff accommodation and retail units including creation of new openings. Alterations and refurbishment of first floor accommodation for staff training on platforms 3 / 4.

Newcastle Central Station Neville Street Newcastle upon Tyne

Ref. No: 2013/0383/01/LBC | Received: Mon 18 Mar 2013 | Validated: Mon 18 Mar 2013 | Status: Pending Consideration
Dazza1303 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:16 PM   #98
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor
 
Steve Ellwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne/Whitley Bay
Posts: 43,037
Likes (Received): 4766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza1303 View Post
well after being told by the planning department yesterday the application wasn't valid I find the planning application posted today! Can they really be trusted with telling us the truth?

Listed Building Application: Alterations to the existing porte-cochere to pedestrian use consisting of glazing in existing arched openings, new stone flooring, flush soffits, installation of freestanding retail units and self service ticket machines including new service connections and lighting. Demolition of the existing ticket office on the concourse and construction of a new fully glazed building accommodating retail units. Relocation and realignment of ticket barriers and removal of free standing retail units. Refurbishment and alteration to part of the existing station building at the west end for the travel centre and public ticketing, public toilets, back of house staff accommodation and retail units including creation of new openings. Alterations and refurbishment of first floor accommodation for staff training on platforms 3 / 4.

Newcastle Central Station Neville Street Newcastle upon Tyne

Ref. No: 2013/0383/01/LBC | Received: Mon 18 Mar 2013 | Validated: Mon 18 Mar 2013 | Status: Pending Consideration
For those looking its @ http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk...pe=Application
__________________
Regards

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #99
Stamford
Registered User
 
Stamford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Crawley
Posts: 3,127
Likes (Received): 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Link gives "Error
Unable to perform this task. A remote exception occurred." at the moment
__________________
Recently repatriated "Expat" southerner, living in West Sussex again after 29 years away, mostly in Tyne & Wear - Regular picture taker and loads of pictures taken most weeks.......

My Photostream on Flikr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Stamford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #100
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor
 
Steve Ellwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne/Whitley Bay
Posts: 43,037
Likes (Received): 4766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamford View Post
Link gives "Error
Unable to perform this task. A remote exception occurred." at the moment
Nothing wrong with the link its both the Newcastle and Gateshead Council's Planning Portals being down over the last couple of days
__________________
Regards

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Tags
construction, constructions, developments, england, newcastle, newcastle transport, project, project - newcastle area, projects, rail, railways, redevelopment, transport, united kingdom

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:29 AM. • styleid: 14


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us