Central Station Redevelopment | Newcastle | Various | U/C - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old May 1st, 2013, 11:56 AM   #121
minimoog

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post

Still trying to understand traffic flow!
Me too. From that it appears if you get as far as Stephenson Monument and decide you want to go west it can't be done except via St Nicholas St and back past Tokyo.

I'm not sure what the red lines are telling us?
minimoog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2013, 01:02 PM   #122
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 178

Would seem par for the course with NCC.

Coming east if you don't go over the Redheugh Bridge try and see if you can get south.

Swing Bridge - you can't (legally) turn right on the bridge.

High Level Bridge - no access to normal traffic south.

Tyne Bridge - again you can't simply turn right and go south.

All of this leads to congestion throughout the town and in front of the Central.

Not surprising that the traffic flow is poor as the guy that was in charge of traffic at NCC was someone who couldn't drive!!
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 02:02 PM   #123
Superunknown90
BANNED

Likes (Received): 62

Thanks for the information however I am unable to understand what the red lines mean?

I like the idea of a public Square at Stephenson Monument though and that "Service Road and "Lower" Grainger Street fully pedestrianised" which is good as that street is too small for one way traffic. I've had to dodge many vehicles in that area.

Is there an official map with more information?
Superunknown90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2013, 03:20 PM   #124
cranfan

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown90 View Post
Thanks for the information however I am unable to understand what the red lines mean?
Bus lanes?
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:39 PM   #125
kedos

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimoog View Post
Me too. From that it appears if you get as far as Stephenson Monument and decide you want to go west it can't be done except via St Nicholas St and back past Tokyo.

I'm not sure what the red lines are telling us?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranfan View Post
Bus lanes?
Correct on all counts. Sorry should have explained that!! Yeah if you're coming from say the O2 Academy to get the staton by car you have to travel along Westgate Road, Collingwood, St Nicholas, Westgate, Neville, Clayton, Bewick and cross Neville
kedos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:42 PM   #126
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4766

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedos View Post
Correct on all counts. Sorry should have explained that!! Yeah if you're coming from say the O2 Academy to get the staton by car you have to travel along Westgate Road, Collingwood, St Nicholas, Westgate, Neville, Clayton, Bewick and cross Neville
I'm sure it will all turn out to be a great solution, hang on, what's that flying past my window?

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:45 PM   #127
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2043

£20m Central Station upgrade, how Neville Street could look
By Kate proctor, The Chronicle, 1st May 2013

A RAIL STATION to rival those of major European cities is the vision for Newcastle’s re-vamped Central Station. As £20m plans are unveiled for the new-look building, joint investor and regeneration company NE1 Ltd believes an upgrade could help elevate the city’s reputation internationally. Sean Bullick, Chief Executive of NE1 Ltd, said: “We’ve looked to Sheffield and London King’s Cross for inspiration on their huge station upgrade projects but as with everything we do, we look to make sure that we are a leading European regional capital. With this project we are endeavouring to make sure that we are up there with the competition in Europe.”

Plans include dramatic improvements to the area in front of the station including direct pedestrian crossings on Neville Street and lower Grainger Street paid for by the council. A two-way cycle track at the west end of Neville Street, south of St Mary’s Cathedral, will be installed and the flow of traffic at the front of the station will also be altered to ease congestion.

Newcastle City Council’s Deputy Cabinet Member for Skills, Business and Enterprise, Michael Johnson, said the station’s redevelopment is an economic necessity for the city. He said: “It’s been a tough time financially but we’re confident that we need to invest in the city because we need an uplift in business rates and to improve revenue streams.”

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...l-best-3311882
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 08:07 PM   #128
No Opinion

Likes (Received): 890

If they put as much effort into the construction as they have with these visuals we are in deep shit
No Opinion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 09:16 PM   #129
paddytoonleics

Likes (Received): 231

I think they've some nerve comparing any of it to Sheffield - which I really think is mind-blowing compared to what it was - and even if it had just been OK before, it's still somethin else...

Also love the guy saying the internal works will make CS comparable with the new hall at Kings Cross...

As the most fountain-deprived city in the Western Hemisphere (I'm being silly and making that up, please don't someone find a stat), perhaps the new squares would be the ideal places? I know wind is a big factor....perhaps the new 'lower Grainger Street' is sheltered enough to have a little something splashy...Starbucks outdoor seating, the other units along there tarted up (they're currently SHOCKING), the new Hilton (or whoever it'll be at Baron House) opening out....ooooh I'm having visions of a 'great European rail gateway'... *wakes up*.

FWIW, I really like the station building proposals, but part of me thinks it should have been all or nothing. It would seem nothing is being done 'over the bridge' to the dire platforms out the back - Northern Rail platforms etc. And I really am quite narked that they're banging on about how useful it all is for connectivity to the Stephenson Quarter...when until they add an entrance at the rear, it's just a massive big wall between the city and the Stephenson Quarter. ARGH.

Extend the big platform bridge over the straight platforms at the back, nice glass tower with some lifts and escalators down to street level. Not hard. And I'm not even a town planner.

Also, in discussing some promo opps with the station manager, he gave me a bit of a timeline for the works inside - I'll dig them out at work tomorrow...but it's starting very soon, in only a couple of phases, and the schedule seems unfeasibly quick...so fingers crossed it won't be rushed, and he just got the months/years wrong in his email!

Anyway, that's me done for another while
paddytoonleics no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:00 PM   #130
Andym

Likes (Received): 442

The building itself is far better than Sheffield station in terms of grandeur, scale and architecture. Sheffield has had a nice job of modernisation though.
Andym no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:17 PM   #131
paddytoonleics

Likes (Received): 231

Oh yeah of course, I mean the external improvements etc. What we've got as a starting point is incomparable...which is why this scheme should be something special!
paddytoonleics no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 11:23 PM   #132
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 784

I don't get it, I thought they wanted some landscaping in there, a bit of green. The only thing like that I see is a couple of trees, everything else is fancy paving which will be ripe within 12 months when a pipe bursts or road works need to be done and patched up with a bit of tarmac whilst some worker somewhere gets a nice new patio.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 11:31 PM   #133
cranfan

Likes (Received): 64

£20m. £8.6m for the station itself. What, in these plans for the surrounding area, is costing 11.4 million quid? It's just some paving and a couple of pedestrian crossings?

Last edited by cranfan; May 2nd, 2013 at 01:42 AM. Reason: department of redundancy department
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:01 AM   #134
thenorthumbrian
The Northumbrian

Likes (Received): 351

As an interested bystander the plans look pretty good. Still I look forward to reading 12 months of nit picking and whingeing over this development, this forum wouldn't be the same without it.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:08 AM   #135
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 377

I've been saying for ages that Newcastle is crying out for a re-work akin to Sheffield. Is this it? Probably not. Without demolishing Barron House for a public square (similar to Sheffield demolishing Dyson House) it would be hard to replicate Sheffield's grand entry. However it is good to see something is being done. Just wish there was a space for a square and a fountain (and Sheffield is a windy city too believe me!).

Will be interesting to see how it turns out.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:40 AM   #136
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthumbrian View Post
As an interested bystander the plans look pretty good. Still I look forward to reading 12 months of nit picking and whingeing over this development, this forum wouldn't be the same without it.
It's what we do!
Either reasoned and informed opinion and comment or alternatively bigoted hate filled rant - you takes your choice.

The CS redevelopment is important and it's not going to please everyone as it's a transport hub and pinch point.
I welcome the investment but would like to see more greenery in the area.
From the artists impression it looks as though some of the few trees along the western side are being removed to give access to the public pick up area.
Also the traffic principle seems to be the shortest route between two points is to do a full loop round town to get back where you started!
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:37 PM   #137
esde84

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedos View Post
If you are coming past the O2 Academy, you will have come from St. James Blvd, which instead of using Westgate Road, you could come off at the Westmorland Road junction, to get to Bewick Street much more easily.
esde84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:42 PM   #138
esde84

Newcastle City Council have put some links to plans on the following webpage
http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/parking-...entral-gateway

Edited: I entered the URL wrong

Last edited by esde84; May 2nd, 2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: URL entered incorrectly
Old May 2nd, 2013, 01:18 PM   #139
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4766

Quote:
Originally Posted by esde84 View Post
Newcastle City Council have put some links to plans on the following webpage
http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/parking-roads-and-transport/travel-planning/central-gateway
Link seems to be broken - just takes you to the search page?

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 01:38 PM   #140
esde84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Link seems to be broken - just takes you to the search page?
I entered the URL incorrectly, I have corrected this now. Thanks for pointing it out.

Steve Ellwood liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, constructions, developments, england, newcastle, newcastle transport, project, project - newcastle area, projects, rail, railways, redevelopment, transport, united kingdom