27 Rutherford Street, Hadrian's Tower | Newcastle | 27fl | U/C - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old April 7th, 2016, 07:26 PM   #101
tameracingdriver

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsr View Post
Done mine: 19-14 in favor

Most of us would recognise the beneficial effect that taller buildings have had on major cities in the last century. They have allowed sustainable growth without urban sprawl and act as beacons for economic growth, sustaining shops, businesses and culture. They are places people want to live and increase land values around them. Whilst occasionally brutalist they can be beautiful and elegant acting as modern picture post cards of a city's skyline and creating its architectural identity. The big buildings of Newcastle have done that in the past. The castle and its walls where the skyscrapers of their day and where themselves superseded by cathedrals, bridges, monuments and angels. Our great engineers boldly built modern buildings through the medieval city providing us with theatres and rail for a burgeoning population and in so doing provided us with historical landmarks and economic greatness. We should not stand still, Dobson, Armstrong, Grainger and Stephenson did not let the naysayers stand in the way of progress and nor should we. Newcastle needs a cluster of tall buildings for the city to grow and compete. We have great universities and a great city but the best and brightest leave for the bright lights big city elsewhere. If you want a private view, less wind and a shorter shadow you should move to the suburbs. Future Geordies need a thriving and burgeoning place to live. This is a wonderful building. Let's build it build it and add 10 stories!
Excellent post!
tameracingdriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2016, 08:59 PM   #102
ne14ne1

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne14ne1 View Post

PLEASE CAN ALL SUPPORTERS GET OVER TO THE SITE AND ADD A SUPPORTING COMMENT!

Registering for a login took me 30 seconds!

https://publicaccessapplications.new...tsPager.page=1

Currently stands at:
Objections: 14
Supporting: 22!

Some excellent 'For' comments on there now. If you haven't already, pop over and add your supporting comment too, please.

#TheTyneIsNow !
ne14ne1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2016, 10:13 PM   #103
thom85

Likes (Received): 77

Fantastic to see so many supporting the proposal! My work here is done

ne14ne1, JP6004 liked this post
thom85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2016, 10:18 PM   #104
thom85

Here was my comment by the way:

This scheme is right for Newcastle in every possible way. It addresses a severe shortage of high quality private residential accommodation in the city centre, it regenerates an area that has been neglected for many years, and its design is of the highest quality. Rarely have we seen proposals of this standard for high rise buildings in Newcastle. It is ambitious and reflects the vibrancy and potential of our city, whilst addressing the needs of a growing professional population. As a Designer, I reject any objections on the grounds of the building 'not being in keeping with its surroundings', particularly if we look to nearby schemes of a similar scale, such as Science Central, St. James' Park and City Gate, not to mention the many smaller, ill-conceived developments such as Blackfriars Court, which sits adjacent to the city wall. Many major global cities successfully and beautifully juxtapose old and new architecture. I think that the proposed scale (which is very important here) and the quality of build materials on offer, would allow us to do that as well. Whilst we should always be mindful of the intent and quality of schemes such as this, I think we can sit safely in the knowledge that this building will only serve to compliment its environment, serve the city's residents and illustrate the city's growing confidence. Please don't pare back this design by reducing the number of floors! It's such a fantastic opportunity to create a real statement of intent for our city.

ne14ne1, DanNat, Bylina liked this post
Old April 8th, 2016, 01:54 AM   #105
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 783

I've added my support, as mentioned theirs lots of NIMBY comments on there.

Typically these type of people seem to only think of themselves, and forget the nature of the world and city centre living. The thing is though most of the comments they make, if not all of them have no basis for rejection, and NCC would just have an appeal overturned if they listened to them. In 5 years when the area looks better, their is a new coffee shop across the road from them, and they have another Ł30k on their house price/equity then I'm sure they won't be disspleased.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 02:38 PM   #106
ne14ne1

Quote:

Objections are creeping up... :-(
Old April 14th, 2016, 03:08 PM   #107
novonew47

Likes (Received): 248

Currently at 1-30 pm today the count stands at 19 objections and 28 supporting. One lady has objected to the loss of light to her apartment in the former printing works and then goes on to state that she rents out the apartment and actually lives in the suburb of Kenton. Anyway I would echo ne14ne1 and please click on the link in his post and add your support for this development. Support for this development might just open the eyes of the city planners for any future high rise developments and they may relax their constant reduction of elevations. We Live in Hope. cheers
Old April 14th, 2016, 10:17 PM   #108
thom85

Quite how city planners could allow the brutalism of the new advertising screen on Northumberland Street and not seriously consider this, would be beyond me.

ne14ne1, tameracingdriver liked this post
Old April 15th, 2016, 10:10 AM   #109
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom85 View Post
Quite how city planners could allow the brutalism of the new advertising screen on Northumberland Street and not seriously consider this, would be beyond me.
Probably based on the fact that no one lives near the screen. It doesn't impact their precious flat 'skyline' or 'Tyne gorge' or impacts some historic area of the town (I.e the town walls- yeah we know one side if these walls is actually the back lane riddled with rats but hey two wrong planning decisions doesn't make a right). I hope in wrong but they will throw this out or request they to half the number of floor so, as per usual, we continue to have a flat skyline. In fairness Northumberland Street has no architectural gems does it? What I can't understand is that they refuse a big BBC screen at the other end of the street but allow this. The BBC screen would have been more popular than this .
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2016, 02:41 PM   #110
tameracingdriver

I could suggest some of the baffling decisions are due to backhanders, but I won't....

I'd love to see this go-ahead, but I'm still massively of the opinion that you will be right, it'll get thrown out, only to be replaced by something with at least 10 less floors. I really hope I'm wrong, but the council are nothing if not utterly predictable and backward looking.
Old April 27th, 2016, 05:30 PM   #111
novonew47

Quote:
Objections are creeping up... :-(
The scores on the doors are Supporting 33 Objecting 22. I have submitted my second post for support and would urge any forum member who has not yet posted their support to please if you can, support this planning application.cheers

ne14ne1 liked this post
novonew47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #112
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1233

I don't quite think the current design is right for the site, it's a bit too bulky and I am uncertain whether high quality materials are going to be used, but I support the principle of being able to build a relatively tall building here.

It's going to be a tough sell to build a skyscraper in Newcastle city centre because it will stand out like a sore thumb. For that reason any tall proposal needs to be of an exceptional standard.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 08:26 PM   #113
novonew47

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
I don't quite think the current design is right for the site, it's a bit too bulky and I am uncertain whether high quality materials are going to be used, but I support the principle of being able to build a relatively tall building here.

It's going to be a tough sell to build a skyscraper in Newcastle city centre because it will stand out like a sore thumb. For that reason any tall proposal needs to be of an exceptional standard.
Yes it is going to be a hard sell to build a tall building in Newcastle and that is the precise reason I am appealing to forum members who haven't posted their support for this development to please ( if they like this proposal) support it on the planning portal. cheers

https://publicaccessaplications...tspager.page=1

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; April 28th, 2016 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Added closing bracket to complete the link - though link STILL does not work
Old April 28th, 2016, 09:15 AM   #114
JoeColl

Likes (Received): 10

In my opinion, it's much more fitting for that area of the city than any other.

A great deal better than say the grey tower that straddles John Dobson street nr the library/art gallery. I think this is 18 floors, and already elevated from ground level due to the road passing underneath.

novonew47 liked this post
JoeColl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 08:39 PM   #115
tameracingdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeColl View Post
In my opinion, it's much more fitting for that area of the city than any other.

A great deal better than say the grey tower that straddles John Dobson street nr the library/art gallery. I think this is 18 floors, and already elevated from ground level due to the road passing underneath.
That's Bewick Court, and ironically, it's exactly the same height (26 floors) as the proposed development. Agreed though, this proposal looks far superior.

To be honest, I could have been a little happier with the no-skyscraper rule in town if we'd retained a bit more of our historical architecture, and been a kind of "Edinburgh of the North East", but Newcastle is much more of a mish-mash of old and new, and for that reason, I would love to see this go ahead. I still think the fuddy duddies at the council will knock it back though.
Old April 28th, 2016, 09:53 PM   #116
ne14ne1

Quote:

28th April...

Objections: 22
Supporting: 33

novonew47 liked this post
Old April 29th, 2016, 03:58 PM   #117
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4766

The 82m Newcastle skyscraper - will it be good for the city?

From today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...-city-11261868
29 Apr 2016 By Simon Meechan

How the Stonegate Developments 26-storey building in Newcastle would look

A plan to build a 26-storey tower block off St James’ Boulevard has been praised for its ambition by some but others fear the high-rise will overshadow Newcastle’s skyline.

Stonegate Developments has applied to build the tower on the site of a derelict warehouse in Rutherford Street, off St James’ Boulevard. If approved, it will be the city’s second highest building and the block will house 162 apartments to be rented out privately. The developers claim the homes will be attractive to young professionals, and help keep them in the city.

Some have commented on the application, praising the build for potentially creating a new silhouette on Newcastle’s skyline.

Brunton Park man Peter Kane’s comment says: “Our city centre has to service the city and region in its role at the centre of our ‘regional capital’ and to keep on fulfilling this ever expanding regional role, it requires more large, quality, residential (as well as office and leisure) buildings. The height and scale of the 27 Rutherford Street proposal is perfect to take our city centre on to its next level. I have studied the planning documentation very closely, and I fully support this excellent proposed addition to our cityscape.”

The Northumberland & Newcastle Society’s official response says the 82 metre high build has a “monolithic” design and would be an “undesirable dominance” which overshadows neighbouring buildings. The site neighbours several listed buildings, including Blackfriars priory, Charlotte Square - which is the city’s oldest surviving planned open residential square - and the Cooperative Printworks. The response adds: “The local topography will be dominated by the building and will be visible from many parts of the surrounding areas.”

Read more @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...-city-11261868

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2016, 10:35 AM   #118
thenorthumbrian
The Northumbrian

Likes (Received): 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
From today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...-city-11261868
29 Apr 2016 By Simon Meechan

How the Stonegate Developments 26-storey building in Newcastle would look

A plan to build a 26-storey tower block off St James’ Boulevard has been praised for its ambition by some but others fear the high-rise will overshadow Newcastle’s skyline.

Stonegate Developments has applied to build the tower on the site of a derelict warehouse in Rutherford Street, off St James’ Boulevard. If approved, it will be the city’s second highest building and the block will house 162 apartments to be rented out privately. The developers claim the homes will be attractive to young professionals, and help keep them in the city.

Some have commented on the application, praising the build for potentially creating a new silhouette on Newcastle’s skyline.

Brunton Park man Peter Kane’s comment says: “Our city centre has to service the city and region in its role at the centre of our ‘regional capital’ and to keep on fulfilling this ever expanding regional role, it requires more large, quality, residential (as well as office and leisure) buildings. The height and scale of the 27 Rutherford Street proposal is perfect to take our city centre on to its next level. I have studied the planning documentation very closely, and I fully support this excellent proposed addition to our cityscape.”

The Northumberland & Newcastle Society’s official response says the 82 metre high build has a “monolithic” design and would be an “undesirable dominance” which overshadows neighbouring buildings. The site neighbours several listed buildings, including Blackfriars priory, Charlotte Square - which is the city’s oldest surviving planned open residential square - and the Cooperative Printworks. The response adds: “The local topography will be dominated by the building and will be visible from many parts of the surrounding areas.”

Read more @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...-city-11261868
I looked at the Northumberland & Newcastle Society website which is quite interesting in itself, and the opinions they have on this proposed new tower block must carry some weight.
Old April 30th, 2016, 12:10 PM   #119
DanNat

Likes (Received): 15

What is wrong with having a building that dominates the skyline and is visible from many areas? Go to Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, London, Birmingham even Sheffield....these cities, in my opinion, have a bigger and more dominant city feel because of the scale of the buildings. I'm not saying they are better or prettier cities than Newcastle but It eel as though we are being left behind in some respects.

Bylina, novonew47 liked this post
DanNat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2016, 12:33 PM   #120
novonew47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthumbrian View Post
I looked at the Northumberland & Newcastle Society website which is quite interesting in itself, and the opinions they have on this proposed new tower block must carry some weight.
Historic England are not quite as scathing as this local group and i would suggest carry more weight. Where there is a positive there is always a negative. cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
high-rise, newcastle, project, project - newcastle area, projects, residential