Projects & Discussion | NSW | Shopping Centres & Retail News - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > New South Wales

New South Wales » Sydney CBD | Parramatta CBD | Sydney Metro Area | Regional NSW

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2005, 01:04 AM   #1
walexx
© Applies to all Images

Likes (Received): 151

Projects & Discussion | NSW | Shopping Centres & Retail News

I heard a big new Ikea store is planned for the site of the old Tempe Tip (wherever that is). Has anyone heard anything. Id love to get some more info on this.
walexx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2005, 03:12 AM   #2
rob_

Likes (Received): 0

i thought tempe tip now was that park. could be wrong!
rob_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 04:27 AM   #3
hornetfig

Tempe? That's very close to Moore Park. And while Moore Park's small and might be closed, they just moved their warehouse (by a couple of blocks) which would be a real waste if they have to up and close it (presuming they'd do as at Homebush and have most everything self-serve)
hornetfig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2005, 05:34 AM   #4
nsn

Likes (Received): 83

The Moore Park store is scheduled to close, but I don't know when. It is the smallest Ikea store in the world.
Old February 11th, 2005, 02:18 PM   #5
walexx
© Applies to all Images

Well if the Moore Park is scheduled to close then it makes sense why they would build one in Tempe. I thought it was odd having a new Ikea so close to another one.

The guy designing it is the same guy who designed the new Rhodes store, and has also designed one thats going to be built in Brisbane.

Apparently they sent him to every Ikea store in the world just about before the designed the Rhodes, Tempe and Brisbane store.

Unfortunately thats all I know however, so I was hoping someone might know more.

As far as Tempe Tip is concerned, there is parkland there, but also a big container terminal. Not quite sure of the exact location, I was just told Tempe Tip.
Old February 11th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #6
Muse

Likes (Received): 33

Will there be a skyscraper?
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 01:16 AM   #7
Blue_Copper

Likes (Received): 1

^im with MUSE
Blue_Copper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 04:05 AM   #8
DBM

Tempe...Arizona

Recently a huge Ikea opened in Tempe, Arizona. Is there any possibility of some confusion with our Tempe?
DBM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #9
walexx
© Applies to all Images

Definately not the Tempe Arizona you are thinking. This is Tempe Tip in Sydney. OK yes guys you are right, not skyscraper here, but uhmmm, it will be a big building, and it is made out of concrete, and well, I didnt really know where else on the net to ask .
Old February 12th, 2005, 01:22 PM   #10
Tony P
All the way with PJK

Likes (Received): 9

Google finds the answers to everything.

From Financial Review

Selling is about empathy – and managing the kids – says the man from Ikea

Image by Jessica HromasAfter 27 years in Australia, the Swedish furniture retailer Ikea is reinventing itself here, spending $400 million over four years on opening new, larger stores and bringing what managing director Kent Nordin describes as the true Ikea concept to Australia.

Nordin, a Swede, has worked in Ikea’s product development centre in Sweden, run a store in Germany and spent 10 years with Ikea in the US, working to restore the company from loss to profit. He moved to Australia last year, and says that although the company has high brand awareness in this country it needs to provide a bigger product range and much better service.

Ikea has long seemed ambivalent about wanting to be in Australia. Stores closed and customers found goods out of stock in the ones that remained. After several years of figuring out what to do, Ikea has taken back its franchises and is now operating its own stores in the eastern States.

The new stores will be more than three times larger than existing ones, and they will include entertainment for kids and cafes aimed at families. Nordin expects Australia to break even this year although it will be in the red once the costs of its first new store are included.

Nordin was selling oriental carpets while at university when he first met an Ikea executive, who was passionate about the idea that good design need not cost the earth. He later joined another company but became disillusioned: “I thought every company had an idea like that,” he says.

The first of Ikea’s new stores in Australia opened in the Melbourne suburb of Richmond last month. At 22,500 square metres, it has a
cafe and a children’s play area with a cinema, and dwarfs existing stores at Moorabbin in Melbourne’s south (7000 square metres), and Moore Park in Sydney’s east (4100 square metres). Ikea next hopes to open in Homebush, in western Sydney, next year, is acquiring land in Tempe, in Sydney’s south, and is looking for a Brisbane site. Older stores will be closed over time.

Ikea has been in Australia a number of years and it has seemed unsure whether it wants to be here. Why has it decided to expand now?
In the early years it was not so serious; an individual imported Ikea and it went quite well. Later it turned into a true franchise, with a number of different franchise owners. It was very complicated and around 1992 Ikea decided to buy them back. The size of the stores made it impossible to live up to the Ikea concept and become really profitable. We now own all the stores in Australia, except Perth. We had planned to consolidate the eastern state franchises into one and give the franchise out again, but we decided to run them ourselves. It has taken from 1992-93 until now just to locate sites.

We have 165 stores worldwide, we know we do it right with a big store, which is somewhere around 25,000 square metres. We inspire visitors, give them a day’s outing. They can enjoy us for a long time if the concept works. If the store is too small, does not offer enough solutions or inspiration, we simply don’t draw enough and that has been the problem with Australia. It will be really fun to see how the real concept, executed well, will be accepted in Australia.

Australia has a number of large “big barn” type stores, and the retail market is pretty tough. How will you compete?
I haven’t seen anyone do it to this size. These stores will have six fully furnished homes – I don’t think there is anything to compare it to. My only uncertainty is whether Australians in general are interested in home furnishing or not to the same level as people in Europe or North America, because this is a country whose people spend a lot of time outdoors.

But I also know that at times like the present, following September 11 and Bali and the immediate war threat, that the home has a tendency to be more important. Home furnishing benefits from cocooning. People want to stay home more, to pay attention to friends and close family, and the home becomes more of a focal point.

...... there's more in the real article. It was printed in 2002.
Tony P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 05:01 AM   #11
walexx
© Applies to all Images

Hey thanks for that Tony P, much appreciated. Atleast now I know I was right, and with all the activity going on with the shipping containers being moved in Tempe to land thats been cleared across from the airport over the last few days, this might be what its all about ??.
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:23 AM   #12
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 18655

why does it seem that everyone on Sydney forums wants to talk about damn shopping centres?? i cant stand them. leave it to the gals.
lets talk about skyscrapers!
Church Hill tower- 1797, Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2021, twin towers- 2024, supertall 2025 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 01:34 AM   #13
finn

Likes (Received): 2737

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA
why does it seem that everyone on Sydney forums wants to talk about damn shopping centres?? i cant stand them. leave it to the gals.
lets talk about skyscrapers!
A shopping centre/strong retail base helps to build a regional centre which inspires further high-rise development. Think about it...Chatswood, Parramatta, Hurstville, Bondi Junction etc. It is all related.
finn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 02:38 PM   #14
thewreckoning88

shopping centres are fun especially when your being paid by a philippine company to do so... like i am even though im only 17. anyways the best building in sydney i relation to culwullas request to talk bout buildings has to be chifley tower... to bad it doesnt have a nice retail precinct like world tower or market city... westfield penrith hope its gonna be good
thewreckoning88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 02:44 PM   #15
sirhc8

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewreckoning88
shopping centres are fun especially when your being paid by a philippine company to do so... like i am even though im only 17. anyways the best building in sydney i relation to culwullas request to talk bout buildings has to be chifley tower... to bad it doesnt have a nice retail precinct like world tower or market city... westfield penrith hope its gonna be good
Actually, Chifley Plaza is a much nicer shopping area than Market City or World Square.
sirhc8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #16
thewreckoning88

its classy and a lot more upmarket thats all i have to say. either way chifley tower is an impressive building
thewreckoning88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #17
CULWULLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn
A shopping centre/strong retail base helps to build a regional centre which inspires further high-rise development. Think about it...Chatswood, Parramatta, Hurstville, Bondi Junction etc. It is all related.
yeah i understand finn, but i was just saying that the shopping centre threads were the only threads being posted in the NSW threads which is a bit of a worry. never mind.
Church Hill tower- 1797, Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2021, twin towers- 2024, supertall 2025 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
Old July 15th, 2005, 03:23 AM   #18
finn

Likes (Received): 2737

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA
yeah i understand finn, but i was just saying that the shopping centre threads were the only threads being posted in the NSW threads which is a bit of a worry. never mind.
Yeah - I guess that's cause there's not as much happening in the tower construction department as there has been in the past. Things will come around again for tower construction though, and similarly shopping centre expansions will die down.
finn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #19
CULWULLA

#Projects & Discussion | NSW | Shopping Centres & Retail News

time for new thread
old one here>
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...&page=21&pp=25
Old November 26th, 2005, 07:05 AM   #20
drnilescrane

Went to see Stage 1(a) at Westfield Parramatta today and I'm very pleased. It's not WBJ but It's miles ahead of most Sydney Shopping Centers. From what I could see of the resturant precint, it had an almost Inner City (think Darling Harbour) feel to the design. Two things that I felt could be better:
  • Some of the new cladding was awful. The red was to much against the white, and on one section they had this horrible brown concrete pannels with gravel set in it. It looked like someting from the 60's.
  • The intergration into the existing center is very lax on Level 4 compared to Level 1 - 1995 just stops abrubtly and 2005 starts. Level 1 blends more effectivly from what I could see through the chain link fence. The old Westfield Standard singage throughout the center should also be upgraded to the new WBJ style for consistency.
drnilescrane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz, projects, retail