Projects & Discussion | NSW | Shopping Centres & Retail News - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > New South Wales

New South Wales » Sydney CBD | Parramatta CBD | Sydney Metro Area | Regional NSW

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #41
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 590

^ castle towers is going for a major expansion. I have to say it's one of my favourites too.

A castle for the Hills

THEIR public transport system is a joke, mortgages are excessive and road tolls exorbitant, but Hills District residents will soon have a super-sized shopping centre to enjoy.

Castle Towers is set to become the largest shopping centre in the southern hemisphere, snatching the title off nearby competitor Westfield Parramatta.

Plans to add a whopping 60,000sqm to the Towers have been tabled to Baulkham Hills Shire Council and are expected to be ratified.

The $500 million project includes a plethora of speciality stores and supermarkets, a food court, cinema complex, restaurant precinct and a ring road to encircle Castle Hill's CBD.

The expansion will be a welcome reward for residents of Sydney's northwest, who have endured poor transport infrastructure, rising interest rates, high petrol prices and a jump in the M2 motorway toll.

If approved, Castle Towers will easily become the biggest shopping centre in the southern hemisphere with 170,000sqm of active floorspace, snatching the title from Westfield Parramatta (139,000sqm).

The proposal put forward by owners QIC will extend the current centre from Castle St to Showground Rd, and links a further wing to be built on the old Baulkham Hills primary school site. Sections of this land have also been set aside for residential development.

While shoppers will be delighted, it is the completion of the ring road that will benefit Castle Hill locals the most, local councillor Ray Williams said.

The road, funded jointly by the council, QIC and the RTA, will unclog what has becoming a consistently gridlocked CBD.

"There is a certainly a buzz in Castle Hill about this development. Not only does our shopping centre receive a massive extension, we can get rid of the bottlenecks that bank up traffic every day,'' Mr Williams said.

"This is something this council has instigated and it is finally coming together. Everyone will want it to happen as it will improve our lifestyle and attract more patronage from outside the area.''

The upgraded complex will incorporate innovative design concepts to blend in with various heritage sites and provide shoppers with views of the Blue Mountains.

It is believed the State Government's proposed 2012 North-West Rail Line will be built beneath the upgraded centre, providing a focal station on the new line.

Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #42
Galactic Ruler

The Hills Shire Times are stupid they listed the southern hemisphere's biggest shopping centres as Parra and Miranda, even Warringah is bigger than Miranda and what about Chadstone and Chermside?
Old September 24th, 2006, 10:21 AM   #43
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 18566

^ what are the current top 10 largest steve?
Church Hill tower- 1797, Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2021, twin towers- 2024, supertall 2025 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #44
wowsim

Likes (Received): 97

Parra is only the largest for number of stores. Westfield Fountain Gate and Knox City are both larger. Fountain Gate's lettable area is 141,494sqm and Knox's is 142,244sqm.

Also Westfield's website says Parra is only 128,069sqm, was there a 10,000sqm expansion which they haven't updated?

Chadstone's expansion is 40,000sqm which should put it a tad over 170,000sqm....so i guess it will be between Castle Towers and Chaddy...
Old September 24th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #45
CULWULLA

thanks
Church Hill tower- 1797, Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2021, twin towers- 2024, supertall 2025 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
Old September 25th, 2006, 01:26 AM   #46
CULWULLA

heres a google pic and article showing planned extensions. it currently measures 650m long and its new bit will be 350m in length and form an L shape.

Old September 25th, 2006, 01:41 AM   #47
ParraMan
I need to know...

Likes (Received): 2243

Wow! Didn't know this had gotten into the newspapers. I'm surprised Council spokespersons/newspaper reporters think it'll be easy to get this approved- QIC needs to take over Castle St, the only street running from Old Northern Rd to the western side of the shopping centre, a stretch of around 1km. Anyway, all interesting.

About the size of the largest shopping centres, and sorry if me being pedantic, Colonial First State says the size of Chadstone is currently around 126,000sqm, and yes Westfield says Fountain Gate is 141,494- however that includes external stores managed by Westfield but not accessible from the shopping centre itself. The "building" of Fountain Gate shopping centre is around 85,000 sqm. Westfield Parramatta is now around 139,000 sqm since the extension that opened beginning of this year. Chermside will be around 126,000sqm at the completion of its current redevelopment. The addition of David Jones next year would bring it I guess to around 140,000sqm.

It's really amazing the change in size of shopping centres in the last 10-15 years...

Cheers

It's called RESPECT, Pure and simple
ParraMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #48
CULWULLA

thanks, yeah gets a bit blurry including shops that arent actually part of the centre.
should be atleast tacked on connected by bridge etc.
Old September 25th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #49
papervagina
spider inside my dreams

They really take the 'Castle' part of the name a bit too seriously - no interaction with the outside world at all. I used to live fifteen minutes from there (and it was the closest major shopping centre), but I would do anything to avoid going there. Horrible!
papervagina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 06:09 AM   #50
CULWULLA

bump
Old October 27th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #51
Galactic Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by papervagina View Post
They really take the 'Castle' part of the name a bit too seriously - no interaction with the outside world at all. I used to live fifteen minutes from there (and it was the closest major shopping centre), but I would do anything to avoid going there. Horrible!
You're kidding me? I often drive all the way to Castle Hill just to shop there. I love Castle Towers, easily one of the best centres in Australia.
Old October 27th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #52
wowsim

Likes (Received): 97

I spent half my teenage life there....God bless the towers...
Old October 27th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #53
James Saito

Likes (Received): 2

At least it's not Westfield...
James Saito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #54
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

Westifleld is now refering to its Pitt St Mall complexes (Centrepoint, Sydney Central Plaza, Imperial Arcade and Skygarden) as PittStop and store directories now incorporate maps and stores for all of them in the one directory.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #55
Westyguy

Likes (Received): 462

After living in Castle Hill for the first 30 years of my life (1970-2000)(36 now) I can say I've seen Castle Hill literally change before my eyes. I can remember when there was no Castle Towers. The only negative I can see with the extension is that it will be built over the old Castle Hill Public School site where I used to go to school and I will lose part of a link to my younger years.

I like the view of the Blue Mountains that you can see from the top of the car park BTW.

Anyone know any details of the new Rouse Hill shopping centre that is now under construction ie floorspace, shops, dimensions etc.
Westyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #56
cammo2004
Unacquainted Acquaintance

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Westifleld is now refering to its Pitt St Mall complexes (Centrepoint, Sydney Central Plaza, Imperial Arcade and Skygarden) as PittStop and store directories now incorporate maps and stores for all of them in the one directory.
About time too. That's one headache solved. Hopefully they'll resign the places as well. It's one heck of a hodge-podge down there...
Old December 4th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #57
Muse

Likes (Received): 33

The Broadway Shopping Centre expansion...

The crane came down from the North Building that was used to help construct the extra 3 levels of carparking - the South Building's expansion is yet to be completed.

From Glebe Point Road:

Bay Street:

In between:

Detail of The North Building:

A message from our sponsor

It's very interesting to see Chrissy decorations with interior works.

Looking down:

Looking up 'n across:

Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:37 AM   #58
Muse

Likes (Received): 33

Scaffolding coming down for the new upper level:

Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 01:19 PM   #59
Galactic Ruler

Thanks for the pics muse, I was in it the other day myself. I do have a problem with this centre though. The interior is looking better, the exeterior is a dogs breakfast. I didn't like it before and I don't like it now. I'd rather they kep the facade and built a proper centre instead of this hotptch.
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #60
ParraMan
I need to know...

Likes (Received): 2243

Don't know how I missed your update before, I was here on Sunday and was reasonably impressed with the look of the new upper level, but feel the rest of the centre could do with a bit of make up too....

Thanks for the awesome pics Muse!

It's called RESPECT, Pure and simple
ParraMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz, projects, retail