News & Projects | Jaunumi un Projekti - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Latvia > Rīga

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 352 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 14th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #21
Gatis

Likes (Received): 591

If you will count antenna, we will count them too Panorama Plaza towers will have high antennas.
- - -
Design for 17-floorer on the corner of Hanzas and Strelnieku Streets has been changed. Now it is really weird, if you ask me. Kind of "small CCTV building" as a present from Beijing to Riga.

- - -
Rem Kolhaas is presenting his vision for 700 mio EUR project in Andrejsala (north from Old Riga) today. Haven't seen it but for highrise enthusiasts it would be interesting to know - he proposes three or four round highrise towers between the Museum of Modern Art and Daugava River. He says that it is not necessary to have full view on river there - one can look through highrises.
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #22
ShuMi
ArTuRAs

Likes (Received): 0

The "smaller CCTV" version is pretty nice, it has something different what ordinary towers doesn`t
Old December 14th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #23
Dompcz
DoM

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatis View Post
If you will count antenna, we will count them too Panorama Plaza towers will have high antennas.
Then we will remove old antenna (or is it spire? if it's spire then quite ugly one ) and will add even higher one. :P It'll be the battle of tall antennas.

That 17-floorer maybe is weird but I like it. Don't really know how CCTV building in Beijing looks like.
Dompcz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #24
Laurijs
Laurijs

Likes (Received): 7

CCTV building in Beijing

...but highest structure (and I think for a long time) will be in Riga! Riga TV tower - 368m!
..to all lithuanian and estonian friends

Subscribe | Rate | Comment
Laurijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #25
Gatis

Developers of Riga continue to go crazy...
Some more info about "Riga Port City" or Andrejsala project as designed by Rem Kolhaas and his office. From Webpage http://www.andrejsala.lv/?l=2 and news today.

View of Andrejsala and Eksportosta today:

View after completion and ~ 1 000 000 000 EUR investment:

One more view:

And view with the potential Northern Crossing of Daugava in forefront and Saules akmens far in the right background:

View from Podrags or from Northern Crossing:

View from above:

Area - 123 ha.
Planned gross floor area - 2,7 mio m2.
Apartment space for 65 000 people
Working space for 80 000 people
Whole development time - 25 years, Andrejsala (closer to centre) gets built in 10-15 years.

Riga mayor says that he is worried about this project - city simply has not enough people to sustain this project. Quite the opposite - number of people is decreasing, while similar megaprojects appear one after another.

Well... no chance for this to be realised as a whole IMHO. Would be good if they will manage Andrejsala alone.
Old December 15th, 2006, 12:02 AM   #26
Dompcz
DoM

Likes (Received): 97

I think that the mayor should not worry, investors will not build anything if there will be no demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurijs View Post
...but highest structure (and I think for a long time) will be in Riga! Riga TV tower - 368m!
..to all lithuanian and estonian friends
pff.. you still don't have the largest basket or Christmas tree in the World :P
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3324/krepsyssc1.jpg
Dompcz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 12:26 AM   #27
raz

Likes (Received): 35

First post!

Hi all,
I wanted to comment / make a disorganized rant on opinion about how Riga is unlikely to sustain ambitious projects due to lack of people.

Now in my opinion the main issue here is the projected economic growth rate for the next 10 - 15 years, and not the scarcity of population. If Latvia's GDP keeps growing at rates close to 10% for the next decade than for sure the demand for office space and dwellings will probably be matching the supply, even if the population doesn't increase a bit.

Why is that?

After all, most of the population of Riga right now lives in commieblocks. And commieblocks are nasty places to live in. I lived in one myself for 15 years . Now of course you could assume that commieblocks will soon undergo a massive renovation programme ala East Germany. But hey, a whitewashed and polished commieblock is still a commieblock. I strongly believe that if presented with opportunity and funds majority of commieblock dwellers will abandon their current flats for ones in new developments.

Not only the quality of the current dwelling is an issue, but also the living space which on average, if I recall right, is around 2/3 or less than that enjoyed by an average W. European.

Now combining with optimistic (albeit uncertain) projections for growth with current poor dwelling conditions of majority of population, the demand for housing in new projects will skyrocket.

Same goes for businesses in need of high class or just plain decent office space - increasing of the wealth and number of local companies, foreign firms opening their subsidiaries and local offices, prestige and show-off needs will all drive the demand for office construction up.

And don't count the public sector out either, today many public organizations such as different goverment, education, healthcare and miscallaneous other institutions suffer a great need for better facilities, and that need is not to go away even if we have 0% population growth and 5% GDP growth instead of 9% or 11%.

Now if you add to high growth rate possible other future factors, like positive economic migration, Riga becoming more central and visible in the region, foreigners buying property as an investment then large scale construction starts to make even more sense.

All things said, I'd say that to developers the main risk is that the economy will fail to deliver, otherwise, if the GDP keeps growing, even the most ambitious projects will seem conservative.

Of course, how sustainable the economic growth rate is, whether it is solely dependent on consumer euphoria with no grounding in the "real world" remains to be seen.

Last edited by raz; December 15th, 2006 at 12:38 AM.
raz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #28
LatvianGG
Hotel Business

Likes (Received): 1

Interesting thoughts raz! And welcome to the forum btw!

That Kolhaas project is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!

Going to Amsterdam??
http://www.hotelaalders.nl
LatvianGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #29
Artis

Likes (Received): 9

Riga Port City

To read and discuss in Latvian:
http://www.a4d.lv/notikumi/544/
Artis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #30
Artis

Likes (Received): 9

A4D aptauja - 2006.gada notikumi arhitektura

Sorry for nonlatvian speaking forumers - the next will be only in latvian, cause it's the easiest way to reach this auditory.

Labdien,

Arhitekturas portals www.A4D.lv, lidzigi ka pagajuso gadu (http://www.a4d.lv/notikumi/418/) ari si gada nogale riko aptauju par 2006. gada notikumiem. Nedela starp Ziemassvetkiem un Jauno gadu planots publicet arhitektu viedoklu serijas par aktualakajiem sigada notikumiem arhitektura: pasaule, Latvija un katra profesionalaja dzive.

Sogad, veloties paplasinat A4D auditoriju, lidzigus jautajumus labprāt uzdotu ari tiem, ko nosaciti varetu saukt par „arhitektūras interesentiem” - t.i. cilvēkiem, kas paudusi interesi par arhitekturu un par pilsetu attistibas lietam.

1. Jusuprat, ieverojamakie notikumi arhitekturaa vai pilsetplanosana pasaulee.

2. Jusuprat, ieverojamakie notikumi arhitektura vai pilsetplanosana Latvijaa.

3. Jusu spilgtaka ar arhitektūru un pilsetu saistita pieredze saja gadā (notikums, eka, pilseta, projekts utt.)

Papildjautajums.
Ja kadreiz lasat A4D, - Jums interesantakais raksts vai tema, kas publiceta vai apspriesta A4D 2006.gada

Priecasimies par Jusu viedokli visos jautajumos, tacu labprat sanemsim ari Jusu atbildes pec izveles.

Atbildes variet sutit drosi rakstot latviesu burtiem, keburu gadijuma tos konvertet nav problema. Tapat, ja ertak, variet sutit ka piesaistni (attachmentu).
Atbildes gaidam lidz 20. decembrim. Atbildes sutit uz adresi: [email protected]
Paldies jau ieprieks!

A4D varda ,
Artis Zvirgzdiņš

p.s. ta ka personigi (gandriz) nevienu nepazistu, vajadzetu vestules noradit pilnu vardu, uzvardu, ka ari nodarbosanos vai amatu. Ja neesat no Latvijas - velams ari pilsetu.
Artis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #31
vanniken
Explorer

Likes (Received): 220

raz, you've put my thoughts "on paper" if you go thru Riga, the first thing you notice - HOW POOR IS THE RECENT QUALITY OF RESIDENTIAL BUILDINGS, most of which were built in 1960's and 1970's - those who have money, prefer to move to recently built apartments, and the tendency will remain until those, who can afford, will complete the moving.. i bought a flat in a house built in 1962, with the main idea in my head - ok, now I can afford only this option, but it is still temporary - when i have enough resources, i will be moving to better apartments, and i know a lot of people who think in the same way
Instead of planning missions to Mars, it would be good for NASA to send up rockets and push a bunch of planets out of alignment. Then they could sit back and laugh when everyone realizes that their horoscopes aren't coming true.
vanniken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 01:42 PM   #32
Laurijs
Laurijs

Likes (Received): 7

"Riga Port City" or Andrejsala project LOOKS REALLY AMAZING!
I think this is on of few projects that I like as it is - without any changes!

I REALLY HOPE, THIS PROJECT WILL BE REALISED!

And You know what? With this project the north crossing is needed to be a bridge! These highrises with bridge looks teriffic!

Gati, what is Your thoughts - there will be a bridge or a tunnell!?

Subscribe | Rate | Comment
Laurijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #33
CrazyKing

Likes (Received): 0

Ehmmm, well, if you ask me - I guess we'll soon need to import people to live and work here because companies already have problems finding workers - they have even quit adding the latvian obligatory message to work announcements - "...you need a bachelors degree, we don't give a damn in which speciality, but you need one" - maybe it's because some 40,000-60,000 people have moved to Ireland, Norway & Great Britain in the past few years - about 5 out of 30 friends of mine work there...

And the absurd stuff of selling appartments at such high prices like a commie appartment with 2 rooms for 100,000 euros - even in an awful area that's quite far away from the center... Some of my relatives wanted to buy a 2 room appartment in a newly built project - nearly 300,000 Euros - that makes me think that every second working male & female in Latvia should earn at least 800 Ls per month to pay for their new appartment, have fun paying a loan for the next 30 years - my relatives would already be 60 years old until they finally would have bought their appartment...

crap - I wish this SICK price policy for appartments would stop, that's why Riga keeps loosing people - they just have to move out because some real-estate geek buys the whole building and get's rid of the people who live there...
CrazyKing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #34
Gatis

Hello, @raz Good post, thanks for dose of optimism. Of course, majority of people will be happy to see commieblock quartals gone (most of them, some should be left for history) and such modern parts of city coming instead. If it happens so - good for everyone.
City mayor is worried that people coming with ferries will see first this impressive wall of buildings and only afterwards - Old City towers. But I don't share his worries because:
a) current view in this place before Old town is just miserable. Nobody should feel a loss if it goes.
b) Values of the Old City don't disappear when something new and good appears nearby. If we take analogy - two vases with roses on a table is better than one.
- - -
@ Laurijs - if you ask me whether there will be a tunnel or bridge - there is no clear answer yet. We should wait results of draft design + price estimates for all options. But I would guess that bridge will be built. Just don't take it too serious yet.
- - -
@ CrazyKing - in fact, realisation of such large projects will beat the price of commieblocks down (but new projects will become more expensive in future for sure). But by that time you would avoid commieblocks at any cost... because the contingent of people remaining there would be quite terrible.

300 000 EUR for 2-room apartment is too much - your relatives should look better, there are cheaper options in new projects. I am living in 3-room apartment in new apartment, 100 m2, 100 000 EUR - outside Riga but still in suburbs. So far can say only the best about build quality.
Old December 15th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #35
whatever...

Likes (Received): 849

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKing View Post
Ehmmm, well, if you ask me - I guess we'll soon need to import people to live and work here because companies already have problems finding workers - they have even quit adding the latvian obligatory message to work announcements - "...you need a bachelors degree, we don't give a damn in which speciality, but you need one" - maybe it's because some 40,000-60,000 people have moved to Ireland, Norway & Great Britain in the past few years - about 5 out of 30 friends of mine work there..
Imagine how Lithuanian economy has to deal with ~400.000 people gone to UK/Ireland, it's the only thing stoping us from growing at the same rates as Latvia or Estonia... atleast immigration from Belarus/Ukraine/Moldova is growing day by day

about the project - it's definetly more worthy of beeing built than the recent one in an island, but i very much doubt it will ever be completed fully
whatever... no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #36
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 305

/\ 400 000?

O.o
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #37
Nomels
I Love Ice

Likes (Received): 422

Today I scanned some pictures from the local Riga newspapers for you

The visualisation of perspective alternate bus central station on Vienibas st.

The Soleville project by Arhis (you can tell because of the glass roofing over the sports center - reminds me the Riga Airport design) I let you comment on it

Last edited by Nomels; December 16th, 2006 at 09:00 AM.
Nomels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #38
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 305

highrise commie park...
just wasted potential if you ask me
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #39
Geborgenheit
***H***

Likes (Received): 12451

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1le View Post
highrise commie park...
just wasted potential if you ask me
If you ask me it is just soviet-latvian business- build something so fast as possible, take 200-300% profit, then run and hide
P.S. I like the design of Soleville project
Mitochondrial haplogroup H is a predominantly European haplogroup that participated in a population expansion beginning approximately 20,000 years ago. Today, it reaches the maximum frequency among the Basques of northern Spain and in southern France. Marie Antoinette, Queen Victoria and Empress Alexandra Feodorovna are among famous members.

Last edited by Geborgenheit; December 17th, 2006 at 11:24 AM.
Geborgenheit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #40
Gatis

Ita, you are wrong - some part of business is like that but by far not all. IMHO Riga shows quite many quality projects which are developed slowly and with great care.
Advertisement

Tags
projects

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: