News & Projects | Jaunumi un Projekti - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Latvia > Rīga

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 352 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 9th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #81
CrazyKing

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmo View Post
offtopic - have any of you guys done some photosessions in mežaparks? i believe i've never seen threads (or even photos) about this great suburb (?) of riga... as far as i know, it contains some architectural pearls from 1930's and earlier years....
anyone?
I live in Mezaparks already a year - I may take some pics in spring, because now it's too gray and dark outside... Actually I don't like this aristocrate society, but at least this is the place that has perfect fresh air everywhere...
CrazyKing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #82
Gatis

Likes (Received): 591

Southern bridge has linked both banks of Daugava! Length - 803 meters. To be completed by middle 2008.
Old January 14th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #83
Janis_LV
Janis_LV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomels View Post
Here I decided to make another photo session on construction sites of Riga from above

Do you see the bright light at the lower part of the image? That is the construction site of Da Vinci.

Panorama Plaza

The construction site of Z-towers is not apparent, but that is where they are gone rise - just left from Preses Nams.

I hope this is going to change very soon as I expect to see Zakusala developments just between two TV buildings

...and last but not least the image of the site where the progressing new Concert Hall is going to be built.

woww fantastic pics!!!!!!!!!!!!
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #84
Nomels
I Love Ice

Likes (Received): 422

Thank you Janis Lv. I am really pleased you liked them, because it wasn't an easy task to make them.

Look beneeth and have a guess from which part of the building they were taken from.

Yess, that's what it looks like from the inside

Last edited by Nomels; January 15th, 2007 at 01:16 AM.
Nomels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #85
Martins
-Riga-

Likes (Received): 796

nice pictures... very nice!
Martins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #86
Geborgenheit
***H***

Likes (Received): 12478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatis View Post
Southern bridge has linked both banks of Daugava! Length - 803 meters. To be completed by middle 2008.
Great!
Mitochondrial haplogroup H is a predominantly European haplogroup that participated in a population expansion beginning approximately 20,000 years ago. Today, it reaches the maximum frequency among the Basques of northern Spain and in southern France. Marie Antoinette, Queen Victoria and Empress Alexandra Feodorovna are among famous members.
Geborgenheit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #87
Intz

Amazing development in Riga
Intz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #88
Into
Landscape Architect

Likes (Received): 6

new Latvian project website

Came across this today, maybe many of you (Gatis in particular) have already seen this site. It is http://www.jaunieprojekti.lv/ .

Cheers/prieka!
Old January 16th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #89
LatvianGG
Hotel Business

Likes (Received): 1

^Haven't seen that one yet! Thanks Into!!

Going to Amsterdam??
http://www.hotelaalders.nl
LatvianGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #90
Gatis

Yeah, have seen it
- - -
Unseen picture of 27 floor apartment tower in Balasta dambis 11. To remind you - developer is Estonian "Manutent", construction shall start in end of this year or rather - beginning of next year.
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #91
Juriks

This looks great...
All pictures i've seen before from other side, doesn't looked so good!

P.S. What is the status about that space between DaVinci and Saules Akmens? And what's new with Preses nams?

Last edited by Juriks; January 17th, 2007 at 02:22 PM.
Juriks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #92
Gatis

OK, so let's go through all Kipsala - Kliversala projects
- - -
"That space" between DaVinci and Saules Akmens will get 24-27 floor high "Symbiotic tower" - absolutely great tower IMHO. Last week it was supported in the Construction Board - thus they have advanced a bit further along the bureaucracy chain than "Manutent" project. Who knows - may be they will start this year? From bureaucratical point of view that should be possible.

- - -
No news about Preses nams site from me.
- - -
In Kliversala project site (7 towers, max 24 floors) active demolition on-going, they are hard working at detailed planning of area.
- - -
DaVinci (24 - 27 floors) - pile driving IMHO (haven't seen the place since 1 week)
- - -
Z-towers (30-32 floors and 25-27 floors) - pile driving started.
- - -
No news about "Hanner" tower or towers at Olympia mall - silence almost for one year.
- - -
No news about "Akropolis" towers (2x30 floors) either.
- - -
No news about 24fl "Pie pieturas" building between Preses nams and Saules akmens - the idea might be dead by now.
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #93
Nomels
I Love Ice

Da Vinci site was unlucky after the storm to become a swiming pool
Old January 22nd, 2007, 05:46 AM   #94
Pulkvedis Pods

Likes (Received): 7

I am a new member to SSC, but have been following along your enthusiastic postings regarding Riga city development for some time. Your thorough reporting of proposals is enthralling, and as I am planning to visit Riga this summer am looking forward to seeing alot of construction cranes erecting structural elements around the city.
One piece of curiosity: In the big picture of providing a housing stock for the city denizens, how do the new mid and high rise buildings affect the future of the Ziepniekkalni and Plavenieki apartment massives? Is it the city planning commisions desire to eventually replace the "Great Walls of China"? Is it economically feasable for the current residents of these flats to eventually relocate into the newly constructed residences? Or, are the commie blocks a future reality of the city-scape?
Cheers to all forumers!
Pulkvedis Pods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:35 AM   #95
Nomels
I Love Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulkvedis Pods View Post
In the big picture of providing a housing stock for the city denizens, how do the new mid and high rise buildings affect the future of the Ziepniekkalni and Plavenieki apartment massives? Is it the city planning commisions desire to eventually replace the "Great Walls of China"? Is it economically feasable for the current residents of these flats to eventually relocate into the newly constructed residences? Or, are the commie blocks a future reality of the city-scape?
Cheers to all forumers!

Welcome to the forum, "Pulkvedis Pods"!
I've been thinking about this lately.
I know that to catch up with the rest of the Europe in regard to the average size of the living space for all official and unofficial residents in Riga (1 mil) it is necessary to build another Riga (I am exaggerating) because the average living space for one person in Riga is 25m2 (compae to the European 35m2). What I know is that there are people who are trying or buying up and expanding into the neighbouring flats to increase their living area. Those who sell the flats are investing money as a front payment in a new project (house or flat). Of course not all the potential will be utilized because many people are used to small living spaces. Also there is a massive problem in Riga - profiteering. The prices are inadequately high in relation to the purchasing power.

Last edited by Nomels; January 22nd, 2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old January 24th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #96
Nomels
I Love Ice

Bad news are that RD - Riga Council didn't support the Riga Concert Hall project. Good news are Ministry of Culture is going to propose to introduce a law similar to the National Library law to proceed with the project.

Good news are that the project DUNE is going to attend the MIPIM 2007 exhibition to make some publicity and to attract more investors. Jurmala council is going to give their vote very soon. Hope they will not make it a political decision. It seems that it is approved by all the other institutions.
Old January 24th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #97
Pulkvedis Pods

Likes (Received): 7

Yes, thank you for the explanation. I recall that in earlier times a flat typically housed several generations making for very cramped lifestyles. And as I gather from your post, purchasing power is not keeping up with the inflation of housing prices. And yet there seems to be a market.
Which leads me to ask: what are the city population trends of the last 5 years? And does that serve as the chief influence for the type and amount of development city-wide?
I apologize if all of this is inappropriate to the thread.
P. P.
Pulkvedis Pods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #98
Mantas
in action

delfi.lt writes that Hanner has started the preparation works for multifunctional complex in Ropažu street. Some data:

Total investment: 107 mio €
Residential space: 7 buildings up to 17 floors, 900 apartment units
Office space: 15,000 m˛
Commercial space: 10,000 m˛
Parking places: 1,050

They also mention that today Hanner has plans for Riga worth of 133 mio €.

TINKLE.************
forum Cities & Architecture
Mantas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #99
Gatis

Yes, this is the "Hanner" project at VEF Culture palace - it has got the approvals.

I wonder how they can manage with 107 MEUR for such a huge project. Half-built "Panorama Plaza" alone costs 180 MEUR, but costs still are going up.
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #100
Nomels
I Love Ice

Population trends are miserable, Pulkvedis, - Latvia is dying out - birth/death rates are still not positive. Also masses has left Latvia for better life in Western Europe (Irland mostly). Riga metropolitan area has grown, Riga city population is declining and there is next to no one living in the countryside. Riga has become a major destination for sex tourists from Western Europe. The reality is that EU does not really need Latvia to have strong manufacturing and service industry - they are paying "compensations" for closing down the businesses (e.g. Liepajas Cukurs, Jelgavas Cukurs).
There are still no high ways in Latvia the maximum speed limit is 90km/h and in few places 100km/h.

People living in Latvia have a very non responsive attitude and there is no sense of community here. It feels so post soviet.

But that is OK, because I already got used to it after 3 months.

Sorry for being that pessimistic. There are some positive trends as well but you should not expect that much when visiting Latvia. I know few guys who spent 7-10 years in US and were misguided by the impressions of media in Latvia because when they arrived that nothing what so ever has changed and they were very very upset!!!

Really bad news are that several media is writing today that some mega projects (like Lucavsala, Zakusala) might get abandoned because of the rapidly rising construction costs and the stagnation of prices in the office market.

Last edited by Nomels; January 24th, 2007 at 05:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
projects

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: