Sleeperz Hotel | Newcastle | 22m | 6 Fl | Completed - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Completed Projects

Completed Projects From all North East England Sub-forum Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #1
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

Sleeperz Hotel | Newcastle | 22m | 6 Fl | Completed

Sleeperz Hotel

Height: 22m estimated
Floors: 6
Architect: Clash Architects
Developer: Sleeperz Ltd

Development Details:

- 6 Storey Sleeperz Hotel
- Conversion of railway arches (Complete)
- The hotel is a 6 storey building located on Westgate road near Newcastle Central Station

Planning Application:

Conversion of arches within viaduct and construction of 6 storey hotel providing 95 bedrooms, ancillary accommodation and meeting rooms with commercial and/or retail accommodation (Classes A1, A2, A3, B1) following demolition of former parcels office.

http://planningapplications.newcastl...=K1BWSVBS06800

The Site:

Currently:

Photo by elliot

Photo by nebusiness

Proposed Elevations:

Proposed Renders:

Latest News:

WBS Alumni Board member secures £7m investment for growing business
Innovative budget hotels business Sleeperz has secured a major £7m investment to fund future growth in the UK - with the target of achieving a portfolio of 10 hotels by 2015.

Just 18 months after opening the first in a new generation of compact lifestyle hotels - in the Welsh capital of Cardiff - Sleeperz has succeeded in raising funding to build a second hotel, in Newcastle, and earmarked five further sites for development.

The finance has been raised from the Co-operative Bank, together with equity funding from the company's current investors, including Andre Hoffmann, and a new investor, Connection Capital.

Preparatory work for the building of a 98-bedroom, six-storey Sleeperz hotel in the heart of Newcastle is now underway, with full construction starting this October and a projected opening date of October 2011.

Heads of terms have also been secured by the company to develop hotels at five further sites next to mainline rail stations, including Liverpool, Birmingham and Manchester.

Sleeperz Hotels Chief Executive David Myers (FTMBA 1999-01, Alumni Board Vice-Chair) described the £7m investment as "a major endorsement in the Sleeperz proposition of compact lifestyle hotels in prime city centre locations offering great value for money."

He said: "Raising finance is very tough in this market, and to secure £7m of investment is an exceptional achievement, particularly for a hotel business of our size. The hotel market is littered with single-site niche businesses that have failed to expand and progress to develop a second hotel.

"Sleeperz brings something new and exciting to the market and, with the backing of major investors, we are here for the future. Our business target is to develop and build 10 Sleeperz hotels by 2015."

Having opened in November 2008 as the storm clouds gathered on the worst recession in living memory, Sleeperz hotel Cardiff succeeded in achieving over 60 per cent occupancy in its first year. It is currently performing significantly ahead of its competitive set, according to the TRI Hospitality Consulting benchmarking organisation, recording year-on-year sales and profit growth. The hotel is ranked fourth out of 92 on the Trip Advisor travel review website, and records a 90 per cent guest satisfaction rate on LateRooms.com.

Sleeperz hotel Newcastle will mirror the same ethos of compact, stylish air conditioned rooms in a prime central location. The new-build development will be adjacent to Newcastle Central Railway Station.

"Newcastle is one of the leading UK hotel markets for RevPar room rate performance. The city boasts a very strong leisure and corporate market and there will be few hotels - if any - with the location that this site will give us. We are very excited about this development," said Mr Myers.

"As with Sleeperz hotel Cardiff, we will create quality stylish compact rooms with fresh, colourful and contemporary interiors. All of this will be available to the consumer at room rates including free wifi from £50."

David added: "There are so many positives in the Sleeperz brand. Not only have we managed to buck the trend in what is an increasingly challenging market - but in sticking to our ideals of convenience, value and style, are now driving on to gain growth and expansion."

http://www.wbs.warwick.ac.uk/alumni/...S/Alumni/Board

Last edited by TownPlanningNE; July 24th, 2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Updated images, details and news.
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #2
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

These are the photo's i found of the Railway Arches

Taken and Originally posted by elliot on 18/2/2009

Railway Arches - Forth Street

Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #3
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Nice photos Ahmed but arent those on the other side of the tunnel opposite the Telegraph? The ones along from the Sleeperz site are done out but not occupied (or werent last week anyway)

So was the situation with the idiotic complaints from residents in the Stamp Exchange sorted in the end or is this yet another case where planning is indefinately postponed because of one NIMBY arsehole's crusade ('Theres no parking, it'll bring traffic, think of the noise etc etc...what do you expect, you live in the city centre for Christ's sake!)
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #4
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
Nice photos Ahmed but arent those on the other side of the tunnel opposite the Telegraph? The ones along from the Sleeperz site are done out but not occupied (or werent last week anyway)

So was the situation with the idiotic complaints from residents in the Stamp Exchange sorted in the end or is this yet another case where planning is indefinately postponed because of one NIMBY arsehole's crusade ('Theres no parking, it'll bring traffic, think of the noise etc etc...what do you expect, you live in the city centre for Christ's sake!)
Yeah you're right them arches are the South side of the ECML, still good photographs! Thanks Geordie Ahmed for posting them. I wasn't sure how complete the Sleeperz side were but it seems they are complete from your post.

Well the planning application was granted so I'm guessing any problem with NIMBY's will have been sorted?
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #5
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

They weren't happy now that Tokyo's licence has been extended to 1am and maybe 2am on the weekends. Strange the Sleeperz development hasn't happened faster, given the perpetual demand for rooms in town regardless of the current economy.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:13 PM   #6
Andrew

Likes (Received): 55

For a budget hotel chain they seem to build pretty decent buildings. The new Sleeperz hotel in Cardiff is very high quality and this one looks pretty good.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Geordie Ahmed

You are right those images are of the other side (only one's i could find)

Though last night during work i did go past the other side and they looked finished, there was still some temporary hoardings outside them so still some work happening i guess?
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #8
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Ahmed View Post
You are right those images are of the other side (only one's i could find)

Though last night during work i did go past the other side and they looked finished, there was still some temporary hoardings outside them so still some work happening i guess?
Yeah the last time I saw them, couple of weeks ago, they were in a similar state, so should be complete soon. Perhaps when these are finished the hotel might get started?
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #9
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2041

The site as it looks (pretty much) now. Well, earlier this year anyway - taken by elliot and posted on 18th February 2009 . . .

This hotel will be a MAJOR improvement to this street, should really bring it more 'to life'.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #10
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
The site as it looks (pretty much) now. Well, earlier this year anyway - taken by elliot and posted on 18th February 2009 . . .

This hotel will be a MAJOR improvement to this street, should really bring it more 'to life'.
Thanks for adding the photograph, do you know if the warehouse is still standing or has it been demolished?
Old October 18th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #11
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2041

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
Thanks for adding the photograph, do you know if the warehouse is still standing or has it been demolished?
I have heard nothing about it yet being demolished. If it had been, I expect someone would have posted it onto the old Projects Thread, and I do not remember anyone doing that. Developments will be much easier to follow now, now that everything is getting its own thread!
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:55 AM   #12
Geordie Ahmed

Im sure the warehouse is still there - i went past it a few times BUT i was working so didnt really pay attention BUT if it was demolished i reckon i would have noticed
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #13
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 46

It was still there when I left 4 weeks ago. I wonder why it is taking so long to get started? Maybe Sleeperz cant get the finance with the recession.
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #14
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 377

Warehouse is still there as of yesterday with a big "to let" sign on it as in the photo above.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:14 PM   #15
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
Full steam ahead as first tenant moves into arches

NEW railway arch premises have secured their first tenant and will be officially opened tomorrow following an extensive refurbishment

The Victorian arches on Westgate Road, Newcastle, which used to be home to a Kwikfit garage, have now been transformed into modern business premises.

Previously run-down and derelict railway property has been transformed into eight glass-fronted contemporary business units, available for retail and office and leisure use.

These units range from 1,012sq ft to 6,677sq ft and are to be completed to the same standard as a similar scheme on nearby Forth Street.

This is the latest phase of Network Rail’s Spacia redevelopment projects in Newcastle, following the Forth Street development, which consists of a parade of 14 refurbished business units within the original arches.

Graham Mackay, of developer Spacia North East, said: "We are proud to bring this listed structure on Westgate Road and Queen’s Lane back to life in order to provide more high-quality business accommodation for the Newcastle area.

"These units are available on Network Rail’s solutions tenancy agreement, which offers all tenants flexible lease terms with an ‘easy in-easy out’ mentality."

The premises are being marketed by Storeys:ssp of Newcastle.
http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/commerci...1140-25303627/

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 25th, 2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:23 PM   #16
hollow man

Likes (Received): 25

How far along is the Hotel now?
hollow man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:45 PM   #17
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow man View Post
How far along is the Hotel now?
It isn't, I've no idea when it's planned to be built. It still mentions it on the website though.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:50 PM   #18
Geordie Ahmed

Last time i went past (about a week ago) i dont recall seing the To Let sign, so maybe we will see some activity soon? (fingers crossed)
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:53 PM   #19
hollow man

Likes (Received): 25

Yeah fingers crossed. It will be a great addition to the street.
hollow man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:44 PM   #20
Andrew

Likes (Received): 55

I just googled 'Spacia' and it's really interesting. It's a company set up by Network Rail and they're doing developments like this across the whole country. It's about bloody time Network Rail did something like this on a wide scale, railway arches and surplus railway land really are an underused asset in so many places. I just wish Nexus would do the same thing more often. It's effectively what they did at Haymarket, now they need to start looking at how they can make the most of the space they've got, especially in places like Tynemouth station which really needs to have its restoration properly finished.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, development, developments, hotel, newcastle, newcastle hotels, project, project - newcastle area, projects