South Shields Riverside (New Shore) | South Shields | Various | Completed - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Completed Projects

Completed Projects From all North East England Sub-forum Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 30th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #41
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4766

To add a different aspect from the fine collection of the ongoing works taken over the months by Ken - this is the view looking over from North Shields Ferry Landing on 29th March 2013.

Image hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/South%20Shields

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #42
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 3784

South Shields Riverside (New Shore) - Harton Quays Waterfront Park etc as at 10/04/13

Approx another 2 weeks on from my last post on this scheme, post #40 here are some further pictures taken by myself Wednesday 10/04/13 in period approx 1200 - 1215 showing works that have been carried out by Balfour Beatty (and other subcontractors), to the area between the South Shields Ferry Landing and the area to the east of the Customs House, now on day 175 of contract (pictures hosted on Photobucket)

And mistake on this display board - the opened new foreshore with Wouldhave House (right side picture)

Wouldhave House currently being demolished - see pictures on South Shields 365 thread

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #43
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
Approx another 2 weeks on from my last post on this scheme, post #40 here are some further pictures taken by myself Wednesday 10/04/13 in period approx 1200 - 1215 showing works that have been carried out by Balfour Beatty (and other subcontractors), to the area between the South Shields Ferry Landing and the area to the east of the Customs House, now on day 175 of contract (pictures hosted on Photobucket)

KEN
Ken - do you know what the chimney type structure is, someone told me that it was a capped mine shaft, any truth in that?

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #44
Ken O'Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Ken - do you know what the chimney type structure is, someone told me that it was a capped mine shaft, any truth in that?
No idea Steve - my main knowledge is about Gateshead

I cover the South Tyneside schemes as there seems to be only scant coverage by others - probably no other contributors living in that area

KEN
Old April 10th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #45
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:
No idea Steve - my main knowledge is about Gateshead

I cover the South Tyneside schemes as there seems to be only scant coverage by others - probably no other contributors living in that area

KEN
Was being a bit lazy asking rather than searching myself for the information

Found this on the Mill Dam Conservation Area Character Appraisal @ http://www.southtyneside.info/CHttpH...hx?id=1922&p=0

7.2.3 Chimney Stump

This industrial remnant (on the Local List) from the once extensive Swinburne Glassworks is shown on the 1862 OS Map, predating Harton Low Staithes. It is in fair condition with varying local red brick laid with lime rich mortar in Flemish bond. The rendered section below its distinctive stone cornice is in poor repair.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:38 PM   #46
Ken O'Heed

South Shields Riverside (New Shore) - Harton Quays Waterfront Park etc as at 23/04/13

Approx another 2 weeks on from my last post on this scheme, post #42 of 10/04/13 here are some further pictures taken by myself Tuesday 23/04/13 in period approx 1030 - 1045 showing works that have been carried out by Balfour Beatty (and other subcontractors), to the area between the South Shields Ferry Landing and the area to the east of the Customs House, (pictures hosted on Photobucket)

From area of the Customs House looking towards river mouth

east end of development as viewed mid river from the ferry

KEN
Old April 30th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #47
Ken O'Heed

South Shields Riverside (New Shore) - Harton Quays Waterfront Park etc - Shields Gazette article 29/04/13

This from Shields Gazette 29/04/13

Extracts

A short distance away, at Harton Staithes, work is also progressing well on a new riverside park, incorporating a new amphitheatre.

The mariner on the monument outside the Customs House on the Mill Dam remains – still looks imperiously across in the direction of the impressive new park.

Coun Michael Clare, lead member for regeneration and economy at South Tyneside Council, said: “Harton Quays Park will be a wonderful way for residents, workers and visitors to South Shields to access the town’s riverside.

“The impressive park facilities, designed by internationally renowned landscape architects Grant Associates and constructed by Balfour Beatty, will provide improved links to the town centre’s shopping amenities and also have a new performance space, perfect for outdoor events.

“Harton Quays Park is an important part of South Tyneside Council’s plans to regenerate the town.

“The riverside park is due to open to the public in the summer and will be a great asset to the people of South Tyneside.”

Full article on http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/l...elds-1-5627381

KEN
Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:02 AM   #48
Ken O'Heed

South Shields Riverside (New Shore) - Harton Quays Waterfront Park etc as at 02/05/13

Here are some further pictures taken by myself Thursday 02/05/13 in period approx 1200 - 1245 showing works that have been carried out by Balfour Beatty (and other subcontractors), to the area between the South Shields Ferry Landing and the area to the east of the Customs House, (pictures hosted on Photobucket)

Lot more soft landscaping been carried out including planting of further trees

KEN
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #49
Ken O'Heed

Mill Dam Conservation Area - chimney from Swinburne Glassworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Was being a bit lazy asking rather than searching myself for the information

Found this on the Mill Dam Conservation Area Character Appraisal @ http://www.southtyneside.info/CHttpH...hx?id=1922&p=0

This industrial remnant (on the Local List) from the once extensive Swinburne Glassworks is shown on the 1862 OS Map, predating Harton Low Staithes. It is in fair condition with varying local red brick laid with lime rich mortar in Flemish bond. The rendered section below its distinctive stone cornice is in poor repair.[/I]
These pictures taken by myself 02/05/13 ( hosted on Photobucket)

KEN
Old May 9th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #50
Ken O'Heed

South Shields Riverside (New Shore) - Harton Quays Waterfront Park etc as at 09/05/13

Here are some further pictures taken by myself Thursday 09/05/13 in period approx 1130 showing works that have been carried out by Balfour Beatty (and other subcontractors), to the area between the South Shields Ferry Landing and the area to the east of the Customs House ( with a Thompson cruise liner on other side of river), (pictures hosted on Photobucket)

Despite looking "near completed" with bituminous base course being laid today I was informed that scheme is to complete September

KEN
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #51
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Photograph taken 9th May 2013 and hosted on www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #52
Ken O'Heed

South Shields Riverside (New Shore) - Harton Quays Waterfront Park etc as at 14/05/13

5 days on from post 50 dated 09/05/13 here are a few pictures taken by myself Tuesday 14/05/13 at approx 1100 showing works that have been carried out by Balfour Beatty (and other subcontractors), to the area between the South Shields Ferry Landing and the area to the east of the Customs House, (pictures hosted on Photobucket)

Drainage work being carried on road down to Customs House

Street Lighting columns arriving on site

Topsoil area starting to "Green Up"

Footpath with basecourse laid

And unless sometime has stolen some of the numbers it seems a "reportable accident" happened yesterday - a shame after over 200+ days accident free

KEN
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #53
Ken O'Heed

South Shields Riverside (New Shore) - Harton Quays Waterfront Park etc as at 17/05/13

3 days on from last post dated 14/05/13 here are a few pictures taken by myself Friday 17/05/13 in period approx 1100 - 1115 showing works that have been carried out by Balfour Beatty (and other subcontractors), to the area between the South Shields Ferry Landing and the area to the east of the Customs House, (pictures hosted on Photobucket)

The site safety record is intact, the sign was in error on 14/05/13, now 203 days accident free

Street light columns that were being delivered on 14/05/13 now in position

Still lot of work in progress at east end of site

KEN
Old May 18th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #54
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Harton Quays

Couple of shots of the ongoing work at Harton Quays:

16th May 2013

17th May 2013

Images hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/South%20Shields

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old May 19th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #55
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 190

Looks good. Some great investment going into South Tyneside.
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #56
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godscrasher View Post
Looks good. Some great investment going into South Tyneside.
Yes all power to the vision of South Tyneside Council - if only we had the same aspirations for Whitley Bay

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old May 22nd, 2013, 09:19 PM   #57
Ken O'Heed

South Shields Riverside (New Shore) - Harton Quays Waterfront Park etc as at 22/05/13

8 days on from post 52 dated 14/05/13 here are a few pictures taken by myself Tuesday 22/05/13 in period approx 1045 - 1245 showing works that have been carried out by Balfour Beatty (and other subcontractors), to the area between the South Shields Ferry Landing and the area to the east of the Customs House, (pictures hosted on Photobucket)

The view onto east end of development

Drainage work being carried on road down to Customs House

Views of west end of development showing ongoing landscape work

East end of works as viewed from ferry

Not sure what this is about - something for a proposed Art Work ?

Paving just delivered to area of curved concrete steps near Customs House (west end development) so hopefully will show up in next set of pictures

KEN
Old May 22nd, 2013, 09:28 PM   #58
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:
8 days on from post 52 dated 14/05/13 here are a few pictures taken by myself Tuesday 22/05/13 in period approx 1045 - 1245 showing works that have been carried out by Balfour Beatty (and other subcontractors), to the area between the South Shields Ferry Landing and the area to the east of the Customs House, (pictures hosted on Photobucket)

The view onto east end of development

Paving just delivered to area of curved concrete steps near Customs House (west end development) so hopefully will show up in next set of pictures

KEN
Mate of mine was saying that there is a fountain proposed for the Harton Quays Park - wonder if this could be it Ken, but cannot see any water supply?

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old May 24th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #59
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Harton Quays

Wide view of Harton Quays, 23rd May 2013:

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old June 4th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #60
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:

KEN
Yes it is a fountain - pipe works going in - photographed 4th June 2013.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Talisker liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, development, developments, newcastle, project, project - newcastle area, project - south shields, projects, south shields, south tyneside