South Shields Riverside (New Shore) | South Shields | Various | Completed - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Completed Projects

Completed Projects From all North East England Sub-forum Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:14 PM   #81
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 3785

South Shields Riverside (New Shore) - Harton Quays Waterfront Park etc as at 23/09/13, Post 5 of 5

Post 4 of 5

Approx 2 weeks on from posts 75/76/77 dated 10/09/13 here are some more pictures (over 5 posts) taken by myself on Monday 23/09/13 in period approx 1615 - 1645 showing the "completed" works that have been carried out by Balfour Beatty (and other subcontractors), to the area between the South Shields Ferry Landing and the area to the east of the Customs House (pictures hosted on Photobucket)

The Raised viewing area

The Water feature

More on following post

KEN
Ken O'Heed está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:16 PM   #82
Ken O'Heed

South Shields Riverside (New Shore) - Harton Quays Waterfront Park etc as at 23/09/13, Post 5 of 5

Post 5 of 5

Approx 2 weeks on from posts 75/76/77 dated 10/09/13 here are some more pictures (over 5 posts) taken by myself on Monday 23/09/13 in period approx 1615 - 1645 showing the "completed" works that have been carried out by Balfour Beatty (and other subcontractors), to the area between the South Shields Ferry Landing and the area to the east of the Customs House (pictures hosted on Photobucket)

Perhaps the water will not be like this when feature fully operational - these pictures showing "increased height" jets after asking the 2 "Water techicians" working on the system to "increase the pressure" via valves in the underground area accessed via the ladder in 1st picture

A really nice scheme to have followed from its start and South Tyneside Council should be praised for it

KEN
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:52 PM   #83
NclArchiStudent

Likes (Received): 3

Well done South Tyneside. North Tyneside Council PLEASE take note.
NclArchiStudent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #84
minimoog

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by NclArchiStudent View Post
Yep. Looks really good.
minimoog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 11:37 PM   #85
Ken O'Heed

South Shields Riverside (New Shore) - Harton Quays Waterfront Park etc - Chronicle article 25/09/13

Scanned copy of Chronicle article 25/09/13 (2 images hosted on Photobucket)

Typical Chronicle - no photograph but using an "artist's impression"

At least the text gives details and £2.3 million cost of scheme

KEN
Old September 26th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #86
architect1976
Architect

Likes (Received): 269

Why use an artists impression for something that's actually built?
architect1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #87
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by NclArchiStudent View Post
Having lived under the clueless NTC for some time now it's clear they reached their ambition a long time ago - to be a bland ever-spreading commuter hive for Newcastle. Quite where all the council tax goes is a mystery.
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #88
Ken O'Heed

South Shields Riverside (New Shore) / Harton Quays Waterfront Park etc - Water feature in use 07/10/13

This picture taken by myself 07/10/13 approx 1345 shows the water feature operating at its "normal" pressure

Image hosted on Photobucket

KEN
Old October 8th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #89
Andy Welsh

Likes (Received): 24

Here is just a small, anecdotal example of how spending money on a development like this can end up drawing in new customers for an area.

I'm from South Shields but now live in Newcastle. I was drawn back to the town for the first time in years to check out this development and I must say that it is absolutely brilliant! Me and the family parked up at the beautiful Customs House, walked through the new park, admired the impressive views and sat watching the ferry going backwards and forwards. We eventually continued alongside the riverside walkway and then before we knew it, we were buying food on King Street and my wife was buying a new jacket in Debenhams!

I've said it before, but South Tyneside Council deserve a big congratulations on what they are doing for the area.
Old October 8th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #90
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 190

They certainly do. They got it right with the beach and the sea front path at first. Now this and the other developments taking place now or in the future, the place is going to be brilliant. I moved from South Shields (sea front area) to Kingston Park in Feb but would consider a move back if it wasn't for the other half's job.
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #91
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 70

Its stuff like this that can change the image of a place and transform its prospects not only for attracting day visitors, but also people looking for somewhere to live and also to invest in a place that is seen to be on the up. I hope South Shields can make this happen.

architect1976 liked this post
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #92
Ken O'Heed

VIDEO: £2.3m park damaged by vandals - Harton Quay

This from Shields Gazette website 12/10/13

Extract

VANDALS are targeting a new £2.3m riverside park in South Tyneside – just three weeks after it opened to the public.

Harton Quays Park has been billed as a crown jewel at the heart of a £100m masterplan to regenerate South Shields.

Incorporating a water feature, a dramatic retaining wall, promenade and grassed amphitheatre, it has proved a big hit with the public since it opened on Wednesday, September 18.

But it has also become a favourite haunt for skateboarders and BMX bike riders.

Already, stone seating has been left badly scuffed and broken by youngsters hurtling around the idlylic area, as well as being defaced.

Plants have also been uprooted by the bikers.

Full article including Video on http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/c...dals-1-6140454

KEN
Old October 12th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #93
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2041

How disappointing.

After such a short time, as well.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #94
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post

How disappointing.

Certainly is NH but as ever the few very often spoil it for the many.

I do however wonder at what appears to have been a lack of 'hard landscaping/streetscape' in fitting skate deterrents to the street furniture etc?

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #95
architect1976
Architect

Likes (Received): 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post

How disappointing.

I was down there last weekend and noticed this seat that's been damaged. It's in the perfect position for the skate boarders/bikers and all it would take is a couple of deterrents like the one below (Google image search) to solve the problem. I'm amazed they weren't installed in the first place.

architect1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #96
Squipper

Likes (Received): 142

The stainless steel seats out the front of old Gateshead Town Hall are damaged by boarders too.

Squipper
Royal Air Force
Survival Equipment Fitter
Squipper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #97
Ken O'Heed

South Shields Riverside (New Shore) / Harton Quays Waterfront Park etc - Water feature in use 18/10/13

These pictures taken by myself 18/10/13 approx 1300 shows the water feature operating at its "normal" pressure on a "breezy day" - note the spread of water over certain seats

Regarding vandalism noted in recent posts - did not too bad so assume Council "clean up" has happened and only could only see one of seats that had "marking"

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN
Old November 27th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #98
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

TV host Julia Bradbury opens South Shields park

From yesterday's Journal Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/tv-...-opens-6344482

TV host Julia Bradbury opens South Shields park
By Sonia Sharma - 27th November 2013

TV host Julia Bradbury has officially opened a new park built on the site of former coal staithes.

The Countryfile presenter unveiled a plaque at the £2.3m Harton Quays Park, near the Customs House on South Shields Riverside, yesterday.

She said: “It’s very important for people to have access to green areas and recreational space.

“This park, which is part of a major regeneration project, looks brilliant. I’m delighted to be a part of it.”

The site has curved stone embankments, a promenade, a fountain, and a dramatic pine grove viewing platform shaped like the prow of a ship.

Mayor Ernest Gibson added: “A hundred years ago, you could not stand here as we are today. This was a bustling coal jetty.

“Ten years ago, you could not stand here either. This area was derelict and closed to the public.

“We realised we had to give the river back to the people of South Tyneside. That’s what we have done with this park. We wanted to provide an exciting space for people to enjoy.”

See image gallery @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/tv-...-opens-6344482

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old November 27th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #99
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Treesy does it for TV girl Julia Bradbury

From today's Shields Gazette @ http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/l...bury-1-6279194

Treesy does it for TV girl Julia Bradbury

WOOD YOU BELIEVE IT ... Julia Bradbury and Mayor Ernest Gibson at Jubilee Wood, where they planted a tree together.

A TV presenter certainly made a grand entrance as she was shown the changing face of South Tyneside.

Julia Bradbury, star of the BBC’s Countryfile, arrived at Mill Dam in South Shields yesterday by speedboat.

After being welcomed by The Mayor of South Tyneside, Coun Ernest Gibson, the 43-year-old was taken on a tour of the new £2.3m Harton Quays Park, before she officially declared it open.

She said: “It’s very exciting to think wonderful regeneration work like this is happening in South Tyneside.

“I am an outdoor enthusiast and always believe in the importance of green space and for people to have access to green space.

“It really makes a difference to people’s lives and their health.”

After being presented with a framed landscape picture of the borough by the Mayor, Julia headed to Jubilee Wood in Jarrow to plant a tree.

The wood was opened last year by Nigel Sherlock, the Lord Lieutenant of Tyne and Wear.

Jarrow councillor Arthur Meeks said: “It’s a great honour to have Julia planting a tree in our wood, nearly a year since it was first officially opened.

“The woods are proving popular with families, and I hope many more will enjoy them in the years to come.”

With the mud dusted off her boots, Julia then headed to the construction site of the new £12.8m Hebburn Community Hub, next to Glen Street.

The action woman climbed into a digger and officially cut the first sod of earth on a site which will eventually boast a new swimming pool, library, community rooms and fitness suite.

Hebburn councillor Eddie McAtominey said: “What a delightful day – this has taken many years of planning.

“The people of Hebburn have been so patient, and now they will finally be able to see the work taking shape, which is going to be a massive asset for the town.”

Coun Iain Malcolm, leader of South Tyneside Council, added: “We couldn’t have got anyone better to formally open the park and visit our projects today.

“I think Julia was very impressed with what we’ve done.

“She spent a lot of time here, planting a tree and seeing the start of the construction work at the hub.

“It was very exciting for her to be able to see the regeneration work taking shape and it was lovely to have her here.”

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old November 27th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #100
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Countryfile Star Julia Bradbury Officially Opens South Shields' Harton Quays Park

Video of the opening on the Sky Tyne & Wear News site @ http://tyneandwear.sky.com/news/arti...-south-shields

Countryfile Star Julia Bradbury Officially Opens South Shields' Harton Quays Park
By Joshua Shrimpton Dean - 27th November 2013

Countryfile star Dr Julia Bradbury has officially opened South Shields' £2.3m Harton Quays Park.

The presenter, who arrived on a speedboat, was met by Mayor of South Tyneside Cllr Ernest Gibson on the banks of the Tyne.

She was in the region to see the impact of regeneration projects across South Tyneside.

Harton Quays Park, which sits between the Customs House and the ferry landing, has been branded a 'new Tyneside landmark' by South Tyneside Council.

It features curved stone embankments, a promenade and a viewing platform designed to resemble the bow of a ship.

Dr Bradbury told Sky Tyne & Wear: "I think it's absolutely fantastic and very exciting that South Shields has concentrated on creating a green space in the middle of all this redevelopment.
Bradbury kicks off construction of £12.8m Hebburn Community Hub

Bradbury kicks off construction of £12.8m Hebburn Community Hub
"Everybody now knows that green spaces are vital to us as human beings - they're good for our mental wellbeing, they're good for our state of mind and they're good for our health.

"I'm thrilled, and I think it looks stunning."

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, development, developments, newcastle, project, project - newcastle area, project - south shields, projects, south shields, south tyneside