Hillgate Quay - The 'By The River Brew Co' Container Project | Gateshead | U/C - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old March 5th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #21
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4766

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerOfTheNorth View Post
Surely Calliope should and will move away from such central sites? There's no need for them to be on such a prime section of the river. I agree that them moving here to a decent building would be preferably though!

I must admit that I'm a bit puzzled as to what would work well on that site in the current climate...
Don't suppose there is the money about these days to pay the MOD for the land and then for a new "Ship" to be built - of course the idea of relocation has been rumbling on for at least 6 years without resolution.

Mind I did hear a rumour that the Royal Navy were considering the savings that would be made in the decommissioning of its University Unit Patrol Vessels and if that happened then I suppose the viability of HMS Calliope could be under question.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #22
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

True, although if the private sector decided that the existing site would be a great place for a bar or something, a bit like the Pitcher and Piano on the opposite bank, the MOD might use the large sum to buy a cheaper site elsewhere and put up a decent new building..? Right now I doubt they can say no!
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #23
elliott

Likes (Received): 321

Annoyingly this is something OneNorthEast were perfect for; buying land, buildings (Westgate House, Tyne Bridge Tower) etc without the pressure of really being accountable. With the current round of cuts, i don't recon any LA or body in the NorthEast could afford even half of what the Royal Navy wanted for the site pre-credit crunch.
elliott está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #24
jkkne
Northumberland Import

Likes (Received): 82

If a resonable offer is made are the RN in a position to refuse in it's current circumstance?

It just amazes me during the whole mass development period that Calliope stood there untouched, even during the 'crazy money' boom of property and land prices.
jkkne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #25
elliott

I think they wanted £4.5 million, Gateshead Council obv couldn't really afford or justify it just to put a public square in its place.
Old March 7th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #26
jkkne
Northumberland Import

Yikes!

Even during the 'boom time' I wasn't expecting the real estate to fetch that much

Half of that now maybe? If that?
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #27
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkne View Post
Yikes!

Even during the 'boom time' I wasn't expecting the real estate to fetch that much

Half of that now maybe? If that?
Royal Navy would need to rebuild its Unit somewhere on the Tyne, so that's why the price would be so 'high' - its the rebuild cost, not necessarily the land value at HMS Calliope

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #28
WaywoodSis

Likes (Received): 0

Could the council not compulsory purchase it? Hard to justify especially in these times I suppose. The convention centre (if we get the money) will hopefully be the catalyst to further regenerate the Quayside. Hopefully, next month we will find out if central government are going to give us the money for the convention centre. If we do I’ll give HMS Colliope ten years at best. I remember the concept video showing it gone.
WaywoodSis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #29
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 797

You cant cumpulsary purchase crown property. Crown owned property is generally free of planning controls; until it's sold of course.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #30
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 797

You cant cumpulsary purchase crown property. Crown owned property is generally free of planning controls; until it's sold of course.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #31
jkkne
Northumberland Import

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Royal Navy would need to rebuild its Unit somewhere on the Tyne, so that's why the price would be so 'high' - its the rebuild cost, not necessarily the land value at HMS Calliope
Perfect opportunity for some cost cutting from the MOD I'd say
Old March 10th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #32
elliott

I wonder if they could consolidate their operations with the Marine Reserves down beside St Peter's Basin; with Gateshead Council using some public finances or a loan to pay for the cost of relocating and the market value of the land.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 02:01 AM   #33
dave141

Likes (Received): 18

Old house next to Swing Bridge

Does any one know anything about this old detached and empty house by the swing bridge i must have passed it hundreds of times and often wondered about its past etc.

dave141 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:15 AM   #34
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave141 View Post
Does any one know anything about this old detached and empty house by the swing bridge i must have passed it hundreds of times and often wondered about its past etc.
In the dark recesses of my brain I seem to recall that this house/cottage stands more or less where the Toll House on the Gateshead side once stood. The current building used to house the engineer operator of the Swing Bridge back in the days when it was in regular 24/7 use. It is still manned 24/7 these days but no one from the Port of Tyne resides in the building. (the Port of Tyne owning the bridge),

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:58 PM   #35
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1162

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave141 View Post
Ah that makes sense thanks for the info Steve.
Allied Irish took a fairly large hit on the house when they loaned money against it to Quadrini/Absolute Leisure. I suspect they still own the site.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-26402379/
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 01:15 PM   #36
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2043

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
Allied Irish took a fairly large hit on the house when they loaned money against it to Quadrini/Absolute Leisure.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-26402379/
Indeed they did, we covered it on this Project Thread here, now shown as Dormant . . .

Hillgate Quay | Gateshead | 5/3 Fl | Dormant
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=988109
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:22 PM   #37
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf stone View Post
Steve, just to clarify a point, I always understood that there was no toll on crossing the Swing Bridge so would the toll house have belonged to the previous Georgian Bridge which it replaced?
Aye, as per usual the compass in my brain was in reverse and North was confused with South - what I was thinking about was the Toll House on the Newcastle side (went on to be the Coroners Court, then a Medical Centre and now offices) - that Toll House did of course collect a charge for using the original Tyne Bridge before the Swing Bridge was built in its place.

Found this photograph of the Gateshead side from 1924 which shows the building that was on the site of the present house that was the the subject of the discussion. Its on the Newcastle City Libraries Archive @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcast...n/photostream/ and shows what appear to be a three storied building with shops on the ground floor.

image hosted on flickr

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old July 24th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #38
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

Wow, we get some superb historic photos on here but that's a great one! It's amazing how much that area has changed - for the worse, sadly. It really is a pity that the Gateshead side of the river isn't built up like that any more - it's huge gaps like that that make Newcastle and Gateshead feel so remote.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 08:18 PM   #39
alf stone

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
In the dark recesses of my brain I seem to recall that this house/cottage stands more or less where the Toll House on the Gateshead side once stood. The current building used to house the engineer operator of the Swing Bridge back in the days when it was in regular 24/7 use. It is still manned 24/7 these days but no one from the Port of Tyne resides in the building. (the Port of Tyne owning the bridge),
Out of curiosity I emailed Port of Tyne and they replied as follows:

"As far as we are aware this was never owned by the Port of Tyne."
alf stone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 08:23 PM   #40
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf stone View Post
Out of curiosity I emailed Port of Tyne and they replied as follows:

"As far as we are aware this was never owned by the Port of Tyne."
Well I suppose they would know - myths, folk lore and the mists of time, so it raises the question that was originally asked, whom originally lived there?

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, development, developments, gateshead, newcastle, project, project - newcastle area, projects