Hillgate Quay - The 'By The River Brew Co' Container Project | Gateshead | U/C - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old August 7th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #41
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4766

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf stone View Post
Out of curiosity I emailed Port of Tyne and they replied as follows:

"As far as we are aware this was never owned by the Port of Tyne."
I had a look around the 'Mystery House' on 2nd August 2011 but wasn't able to pick up any clues. That said have emailed the developer to see if they can help with what its origins were and have also asked a few folk with local knowledge of Gateshead.

Some photographs of the building in question:

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #42
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 573

It's incredible that something like this could exist in such a prime location. An absolute embarrassment really. It' also a dead cert for an MQF, although I think there's been at least one minor fire in recent years. The lower, boarded windows look blackened by smoke.
Old August 7th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #43
tameracingdriver

Likes (Received): 214

I'm almost embarassed to say that I can honestly admit to having never ever noticing this building!
tameracingdriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #44
alf stone

Likes (Received): 469

It's all very strange. I tried the BNP Paribas site but it isn't listed in their properties for sale in Gateshead. I thought it might help to have a postcode for the property but what street is it on? I tried the Royal Mail site for Church Street, Hillgate, Bridge Street and even at a stretch Pipewellgate (I know but this is Royal Mail we are dealing with} but there is nothing listed. I had always assumed without any justification that it belonged to whatever was on Hillgate in years gone by but I am struggling to find out what was on that bit of the quay pre-das boot.
alf stone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 02:08 AM   #45
GBDT

Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
It's all very strange. I tried the BNP Paribas site but it isn't listed in their properties for sale in Gateshead. I thought it might help to have a postcode for the property but what street is it on? I tried the Royal Mail site for Church Street, Hillgate, Bridge Street and even at a stretch Pipewellgate (I know but this is Royal Mail we are dealing with} but there is nothing listed. I had always assumed without any justification that it belonged to whatever was on Hillgate in years gone by but I am struggling to find out what was on that bit of the quay pre-das boot.
Alf,

have you tried Bottle Bank?

Cheers
GBDT
GBDT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #46
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:
I've been trying to use the Gateshead Council Planning Portal to bring up property details within a 300 meter radius of the Swing Bridge but it appears that system doesn't work.

One of my contacts has come back with this piece of information, based on a conversation they had in the past:

"This house was, for most of its life, owned by the council and the tenant had lived there for many years. His friends commented on why he had not applied to buy it from the council, but although he did not do so immediately, he decided to when the Quayside was planning to being redeveloped following the removal of the ship.

He paid approximately £20,000 for it and then went on to sell it to the developers for over £200,000."

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #47
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 377

I'd never noticed it either... Sounds like the chap got himself a bargain! It must have some view too.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #48
elliott

Likes (Received): 321

@steve, its 10 and 10a Bridge Street, NE8 2BH.

Heres the apps for that site,

elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #49
elliott

Likes (Received): 321

http://planning.gateshead.gov.uk/pub...=JNZT39HK03P00

App for the demolition (hope that works)

In the planning report, recommendation 2 states:

No demolition works shall begin unless it is part of the complete development of the site, which has been granted planning permission. The demolition and development shall be carried out without interruption and in accordance with the approved drawings.

Last edited by elliott; August 8th, 2011 at 03:12 PM.
elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #50
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
http://planning.gateshead.gov.uk/pub...=JNZT39HK03P00

App for the demolition (hope that works)

In the planning report, recommendation 2 states:

No demolition works shall begin unless it is part of the complete development of the site, which has been granted planning permission. The demolition and development shall be carried out without interruption and in accordance with the approved drawings.
Great stuff elliott - at least we now know the address

Also that in 2007 it was still the property of Gateshead Council, so appears that the tale about the occupant buying the property and then selling it to the Developer is incorrect.

I see that the Scanned Officers Report of 1 July 2008 indicated that the house has no historical importance.

The Archaeological Assessment carried out by Alan Williams Archaeology makes reference to the house as being 'modern' and at one stage standing next to a Pub in the 1940's, with the Pub having gone by 1970.

So we are a little bit forward in answering this one but still some way to go!

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #51
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Great stuff elliott - at least we now know the address

Also that in 2007 it was still the property of Gateshead Council, so appears that the tale about the occupant buying the property and then selling it to the Developer is incorrect.

I see that the Scanned Officers Report of 1 July 2008 indicated that the house has no historical importance.

The Archaeological Assessment carried out by Alan Williams Archaeology makes reference to the house as being 'modern' and at one stage standing next to a Pub in the 1940's, with the Pub having gone by 1970.

So we are a little bit forward in answering this one but still some way to go!
I took the opportunity to ask George Fenwick, the Engineer on the Swing Bridge if he knew anything about the 'mystery house' when I was on a visit yesterday. George has worked on the Bridge for 23 years so he is the man to know.

He told me that the flats (2) were built for the Quaymaster at the Tyne Tees Steam Ship Warehouse that stood on the Gateshead Quay.

He also confirmed that the flats have been taken over by 'druggies' and a young lady was taken away by ambulance last week having suffered an overdose.

Also found this photograph on the City Libraries Archive Collection @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcast...n/photostream/ - taken in 1967 it shows a much earlier view of the flats and their relationship to the warehousing.

image hosted on flickr

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Last edited by Steve Ellwood; September 9th, 2011 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Added photograph link
Old September 9th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #52
alf stone

I thought I had posted this information last month but I can't find it so I will put it down to a senior moment. I emailed Gateshead Council about 10a Bridge Street and got this response:

"With regard to your enquiry sent by e-mail on 8th August 2011 and received by my section on 17th August 2011: -

The freehold of the property is still Council owned but the leasehold interest was sold circa 2003.
You would need to contact the Durham District Land Registry for details of the current proprietor of the property.

I have checked our records; we do not have any information for when the property was built and I can only confirm that it was used for residential purposes prior to the date of the sale."
Old September 9th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #53
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:
I thought I had posted this information last month but I can't find it so I will put it down to a senior moment. I emailed Gateshead Council about 10a Bridge Street and got this response:

"With regard to your enquiry sent by e-mail on 8th August 2011 and received by my section on 17th August 2011: -

The freehold of the property is still Council owned but the leasehold interest was sold circa 2003.
You would need to contact the Durham District Land Registry for details of the current proprietor of the property.

I have checked our records; we do not have any information for when the property was built and I can only confirm that it was used for residential purposes prior to the date of the sale."
Not a senior moment Alf, I recall having read your posting, it will be there somewhere in the thread

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old September 9th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #54
alf stone

Steve, thanks for the prompt, I have just recalled that this topic cropped up on the "Ask your question here" thread too and that is where my post went.
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #55
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 3781

Demolition of flats. 10 And 10A Bridge Street Gateshead NE8 2BH

As noted by Squipper on his post #811 of 30/10/12 on Gateshead Developments thread the above property on Gateshead Planning Portal, week commencing 22/10/12 ( has been covered in recent months in posts above)

Reference DC/12/01162/DEM Alternative Reference Not Available Application Received Wed 24 Oct 2012

Address 10 And 10A Bridge Street Gateshead NE8 2BH

Proposal DETERMINATION OF PRIOR APPROVAL: Demolition of flats.

Status Pending

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onlin...=MCEFCTHK09O00

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #56
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
As noted by Squipper on his post #811 of 30/10/12 on Gateshead Developments thread the above property on Gateshead Planning Portal, week commencing 22/10/12 ( has been covered in recent months in posts above)

Reference DC/12/01162/DEM Alternative Reference Not Available Application Received Wed 24 Oct 2012

Status Pending

KEN
Link is - http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onlin...tion=firstPage

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:49 PM   #57
Squipper

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post

Status Pending

KEN
Further to this, the property is now sealed with the metal sheets over the doors and windows and the PA notice states after Jan 7th 2013.

[IMG]http://i45.************/a2w2th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.************/2yw983d.jpg[/IMG]

Looks like the druggies have already been trying to get in though.

[IMG]http://i45.************/szhnxv.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Squipper; November 3rd, 2012 at 03:25 AM.
Squipper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #58
FirePainter

Likes (Received): 0

I came across some information whilst researching another subject. I have been unable to find out when the property was built, but I think I recall it being there when I was a little lad as I passed it many times during the late 70's and through the 80's.

The intersting point I stumbled on was that a local media production company named Swingbridge Video was based out of number 10A until 1989. (see here - entry near the very bottom of the page).

I did some work with Swingbridge Video in 1990, and I remember that it was then run by a man named Hugh Kelly, who is married to Lynne Caffrey, the Gateshead Labour councillor. So it could be possible that either one or both of them lived there at some point.
FirePainter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #59
growly grace

Likes (Received): 106

Hugh Kelly is so lovely!
growly grace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #60
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

10 And 10A Bridge Street Gateshead NE8 2BH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
I took the opportunity to ask George Fenwick, the Engineer on the Swing Bridge if he knew anything about the 'mystery house' when I was on a visit yesterday. George has worked on the Bridge for 23 years so he is the man to know.

He told me that the flats (2) were built for the Quaymaster at the Tyne Tees Steam Ship Warehouse that stood on the Gateshead Quay.

He also confirmed that the flats have been taken over by 'druggies' and a young lady was taken away by ambulance last week having suffered an overdose.

Also found this photograph on the City Libraries Archive Collection @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcast...n/photostream/ - taken in 1967 it shows a much earlier view of the flats and their relationship to the warehousing.

image hosted on flickr
Following the posting of photographs of the demolition of the house over the last few days I thought it would be worthwhile linking this Heritage Statement that accompanies the Planning Application @ http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onlin...=ME56JTHK3Y000

Reference DC/12/01281/CON
Alternative Reference PP-02318355
Application Received Tue 27 Nov 2012
Address Land At Bridge Street, Gateshead
Proposal Demolition of 10 and 10A Bridge Street by traditional methods following by top soiling and seeding, post demolition
Status Granted

Heritage Statement For Demolition Works at 10 / 10A bridge Street, Gateshead.

Introduction
The property is a two storey building containing a ground floor and first floor flat. The property was built circa 1936 as a pair of dwelling flats for the Tyne – Tees Shipping Company. The property is located in a Conservation Area on Bridge Street adjacent to Gateshead Quayside, at the Gateshead side of the Swing Bridge.

Form of Construction
The form of construction is a tradition build consisting of a slate pitched roof, supported on timber rafters, purlins and a timber truss.
The first floor is constructed out of timber floor joist with a floor board finish.
The ground floor is a suspended timber floor, supported on the external walls and dwarf sleeper brick walls built off the over site concrete under the floor.
The external walls are all load bearing brickwork taken down to a concrete strip footing foundation.
The upper flat has a separate entrance with a timber staircase leading to the first floor.

Boundaries

The North boundary of the property faces the river Tyne and this has a small brick wall with a timber fence, the Ea st boundary consists of a brick / stone retaining wall supporting higher ground above which runs into the South boundary and diminishes as it runs towards the west boundary on the site.

Present
The property has been left vacant for a number of years and has suffered form disrepair, vandalism, and arson attacks. This has left the property unsightly and potentially a dangerous structure and is now beyond its economical life span. The property is in an isolated location and is susceptible to continuing vandalism.
The property does not enhance the character or appearance of the conservation area and there are no historical features used in the form of construction of the building.

The original drawings and deeds for the property are located in the Tyne and Wear Archives, at Blanford House , Newcastle upon Tyne.

Proposal
It is proposed to demolish the building, leaving the site in a tidy state, repair any boundary fences and top soil / grass seed the area of the building foot print.
This should enhance the visual appearance of the conservation area

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, development, developments, gateshead, newcastle, project, project - newcastle area, projects