The New NFL Stadium in Inglewood - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Los Angeles

Los Angeles » Development News | Transportation | Greater L.A. Area

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:23 AM   #21
croyboy

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiholmes View Post
The project is located at City of Industry, not walnut or diamond bar. They are not able to do anything for it.
i hope not. you'd be surprised how tight these cities are with each other. they do everything together (usually industry and walnut), with surprising consideration for each other. they share shopping centers (on their borders), and even keep track of each others' residential development as they've shown with their new rich hillside homes. these cities are very concerned with each other

my only point being that the area is pretty set on how they want their neighborhoods and surrounding area to appear. unbelievable wishes for any city within any metropolitan area. they would do well in the rainforest.

there's an okay chance this stadium gets built, but better chance in a pro-development/gentrification area

Last edited by croyboy; August 23rd, 2008 at 06:28 AM.
croyboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:33 AM   #22
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 363

Oh please.....if any city has been ambitious it's Los Angeles. If you read the history of LA it has always thought of itself as a world class something from the very start. The fact that some of you are sitting around criticizing the "style" and "layout" of the stadium where in other cities the folks there would be pleazed as punch shows that you must already live in a city that is considered world class. You don't become one of the largest economies and one of the most well known brand names in the world by just doing nothing or as you say 'being at rest'. You people are making too big of an issue about a stadium being built 40 miles away in City Of Industry, California.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 09:55 AM   #23
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 2049

Let's put this in Klammy terms:
Los Angeles finally gets the elevated concrete bike paths it has always dreamed of! Extensive and expensive, they will cover the city entirely! When they're built, however, they are built miles away, in City of Industry. You have to ride your ass out there and by the time you reach the L. A. Bikepaths, you're too pooped to pop! Plus, they only go around the City of Industry.
But they're the Los Angeles Bikepaths- YAYYYY!
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2008, 10:06 PM   #24
croyboy

Likes (Received): 319

from what i understand, klamedia and others think of the stadium as something to better our economy and raise our world class (which it would). i can't really compare this too much to bike paths, since there is no revenue from it and we have bike paths already in l.a..

other metro areas in texas, and nor-cal have their stadiums in other cities as well. i'm being picky, mostly because i've become a hardcore l.a. sports fan. i don't care about the clippers or the angels mostly because i don't care for anaheim or a bad basketball team. if they beat outside teams, great, but i take pride in dodgers and lakers and i'm biased due to location and well-known names. noone outside of california really ever heard of the clippers until that dumb will farrel movie.

if this stadium gets built and takes the los angeles name, i know i'll be an instant fan. if we are ever EVER lucky enough to have two nfl teams that take on los angeles names, i'm rooting for the laker or dodger equivelant.
croyboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #25
Pabst

Likes (Received): 3

As a few have already said NYC doesn't have a stadium either. Or D.C. Or Boston. Or L.A. wanna bee's Phoenix and Miami. And the 'Niners too won't be in the City anymore. Detroit and Nawlins play right downtown and the impact on each of those cities urban core has been a big fat zero. Eight football games on Sundays isn't the same boon for the surrounding community as 81 baseball games played at night throughout the week.

At least this will be a team without a prior stake in the region. Unlike when the Ram's moved 25 miles southeast. If you want to be practical, what really is the desirability of the Coliseum? Not exactly the area of the Southland containing NFL 'fans." In fact other than the Westside, the South Bay and small parts of the SFV and SGV, Los Angeles County isn't really an NFL demographic anymore. Be glad for what you may get.
Pabst no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #26
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Be glad for what you may get?
If Los Angeles turns into a giant Vanilla farm, there's the attitude that gets you there. Be glad for what you may get! That's the God damned most **** ****ingnest weak piece of shit statement I've ever heard!
Where are you, Pabst?
You call yourself a resident of this area? MOVE! You and your kind are the type of appeasing factor that bring this city down.
Go. Now.
Oh, and just to be nice, here's my smiley
Old August 24th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #27
BEATSLIM

Likes (Received): 14

Just make the stadium look good. Right now, it sucks
BEATSLIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #28
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

I'm just going to apologize to Pabst right now and get that out of the way.
Never drink and post
Old August 24th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #29
Pabst

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
I'm just going to apologize to Pabst right now and get that out of the way.
Never drink and post
No prob.

I never said I live in L.A.

I live in Chicago and pt in Ft. Lauderdale.

Unless you've got a billion (or two) to spend then I'll repeat, "be happy for what you may get."

Are the voters of Los Angeles going to rehab the Coliseum again on behalf of an NFL owner? No.

Is Pasadena interested? No.

Is Frank McCourt? Hollywood Park? Anaheim?

No one who pays 3/4 of a billion for a franchise shift to L.A. is interested in having a landlord. Since public money is clearly out then what are your options?

Maybe Candy Spelling has extra room......
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #30
vahebaronian
Farmers Field - Git-R-Dun

Likes (Received): 2

Pabst makes a great point. Roski is the only guy that can build a stadium tax-free. What more do people want? If this stadium does not get built, the NFL will never be back. That's a shame, the most popular sport in the US, not being in the second largest market is a travesty. Our City hosted the first ever Superbowl, and trust me the NFL wants to be back in LA again so they can host the Superbowl every 4-5 yrs or so. And to people to say, oh its way to far, traffic will be a nightmare, there will be a metrolink stop, right across the street from the Stadium. LA will not be the 1st stadium not to have the stadium in their city limits. The Giants,Jets,Redskins,Cowboys,49ers(once they build their new stadium), Patriots just to name a few play outside their city limits. I am for Downtown LA stadium, but unless the Coliseum is torn down (Saving the Perris style entrance of course), LA will not have a Downtown team. Since '94 when we lost the Raiders and the Rams left, this has been the best option and in my opinion will be the last shot of getting a team here.
vahebaronian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #31
Saiholmes

Likes (Received): 5352

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATSLIM View Post
Just make the stadium look good. Right now, it sucks
If you expect something like bird's nest, it just simply won't happen.
Saiholmes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #32
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

I expect a Bird's Nest! I think that is the prototypical state of the art stadium design- except for the accoustics.
Some people here don't care about civic pride. I'm not sure I would even watch a game played in 'Industry'. Other cities get it done, why not us? That's the question. I shouldn't even have to ASK IT!
I never settle for less in anything in my life! I sure as hell ain't going to ******* start now. I'm not drunk, either....
Old August 25th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #33
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Quote:
I live in Chicago and pt in Ft. Lauderdale.
Do you particularly enjoy what they did to Soldier Field?
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #34
vahebaronian
Farmers Field - Git-R-Dun

Likes (Received): 2

What they did with historic Soldier field is awful...it looks like a UFO landed in the middle of Soldier field, if that is the only way to renovate the Coliseum, I am against that.
vahebaronian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #35
Pabst

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Do you particularly enjoy what they did to Soldier Field?
I didn't enjoy the 3.5k per seat PSL I got hit with. OTH I got lucky. My seats are on the west side of the field and because the east was designated as "club" seats my ticket charge is $100 less per seat, per game than the guys I sit across the field from. The kicker for folks on the east side was "club" has nothing to do with your seats themselves only that you get access to indoor dining facilities which I don't have. An extra $400 a game just to buy an over priced hot dog indoors isn't exactly a great value. Plus it's not like I'm denied entry to that area I just have to schlep around to the other side. Because my seats are 3rd generation they've evolved into 45 yd line. One of my friends has 20yd seats on the "club" side and he pays $100 more a game than me but when we scalp I get $100 more for good weather games and we only drop to parity when it's forecast cold and people know they can at least hangout in his concourse indoor level.

Like everyone I balked that $650 million for a rehab was a Daley folly but the place truly is a re-build. Only the columns remain. The outside look is absolutely futureristic hideous but the inside feel is decidingly upscale. Could L.A. do it? Yep and if I were SC I'd put up with the hassle of playing 2 years in the Rose Bowl and then sharing a field. (btw, with the Orange Bowl gone both the Canes and Dolphins will be playing in Dolphins Stadium and field conditions are certainly tougher with SoFla rain than in SoCal)

Given the explosion in new construction costs it absolutely behooves L.A. to see if they can't lobby a Coliseum renovation. You'd know the political climate better than me though. Believe me I think it's WAY cooler for an L.A. team to be in the city than friggin' Industry or Carson or whatever I just don't know if can get done with so many duechbags opposing public financing for sports moguls. Me I think professional sports is an undeniable contribution to a cities fabric. I hate thinking L.A.'s gain will be someone else's loss. On top of it my guess is it'll be Jax and that particular market is growing as we speak. The irony of it all....
Old August 26th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #36
Pabst

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahebaronian View Post
What they did with historic Soldier field is awful...it looks like a UFO landed in the middle of Soldier field, if that is the only way to renovate the Coliseum, I am against that.
Good description.
Old August 26th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #37
BEATSLIM

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiholmes View Post
If you expect something like bird's nest, it just simply won't happen.
Who said anything about the "birds nest"?????
BEATSLIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #38
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 922

^ He means something that's a marvel from an architectual standpoint.
Old September 1st, 2008, 08:15 AM   #39
Saiholmes

Likes (Received): 5352

Official: NFL to play in Los Angeles next season
By Jennifer McLain and Ben Baeder, Staff Writers
Article Launched: 08/27/2008 09:55:14 PM PDT

INDUSTRY - Developer Ed Roski Jr.'s business partner says he has "no doubt" a National Football League team will play in Los Angeles in 2009, most likely at the Rose Bowl.

Majestic Realty Vice President John Semcken also said he believes there is a possibility two NFL teams could wind up playing in the $800 million stadium Roski wants to build in Industry.

"We are going to have a team here next September," Semcken said Tuesday afternoon.

"I personally believe, yes," two teams will come to L.A., he said. "Because the economics are so (good). All I want is one. All our analysis is based on one. If a second team came it would just be a tenant. We're only going to own one."

Roski is a billionaire listed in the Forbes 500 list of the world's richest people. He is president of Industry-based Majestic Realty, part-owner of the NBA's Lakers and NHL's Kings, and co-owner of the Staples Center.

In April, Roski unveiled his plan to build a state-of-the-art football stadium and entertainment complex on a 600-acre plot of land that was previously slated for commercial and retail use.

The anticipated stadium pricetag of $800 million would be about $1 billion less than was spent on the new home of the New York Giants and Jets, Semcken said.

Roski wants to buy a controlling interest in an NFL team and move it to his new stadium, planned to be built near the intersection of the 57 and 60 freeways. Semcken said that Roski has a "handshake deal" with

Rose Bowl officials to allow an NFL team to play in Pasadena for two seasons, until his new stadium is finished.

Semcken also said NFL executives asked him to make sure the stadium and its training facilities could accommodate two teams.

"Every owner I have talked to is interested in coming," Semcken said. "The idea of moving here is like Nirvana to them."

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said that the league has long identified the Los Angeles region as a two-team market.

The L.A. area has been home to two pro football teams before. The NFL's Rams and the American Football League's Chargers both played in Los Angeles in 1960. When the Rams moved to Anaheim in 1980, it opened the way for the Raiders to move to the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum from Oakland. They did so in 1982.

Both the Rams and Raiders played in Southern California through the 1994 season, when the Rams moved to St. Louis and the Raiders returned to Oakland.

"It doesn't mean that we will have two teams there next season, but we have looked at an option that would provide flexibility so that should we have a team there someday. The site could also accommodate another team," McCarthy said.

Seven teams have expressed interest coming to Roski's stadium, but Semcken declined to name them. He said identifying teams could hurt ticket sales in their current stadiums.

In April, Roski listed the New Orleans Saints, Buffalo Bills, Minnesota Vikings, Jacksonville Jaguars, San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers as teams that might move to L.A. and his new stadium.

If a team agrees to move and Roski acquires at least part ownership, Semcken said it would play at the Rose Bowl for two seasons while the Industry site is developed. The stadium is expected to be completed in time for the 2011 season.

Semcken said an NFL team playing in the Rose Bowl would not negatively impact UCLA, which is the Rose Bowl's main tenant.

"We've had just very preliminary talks so far," said Darryl Dunn, general manager of the Rose Bowl. "We are definitely interested in anything that could bring in revenue."

Any agreement the NFL reaches would need to be approved by the Rose Bowl officials, Pasadena and UCLA, Dunn said. UCLA officials did not return calls Wednesday.

"The Rose Bowl Operating Company does not have a handshake deal with Majestic Realty for an NFL team," said Charles Thompson, spokesman for the Rose Bowl Operating Company.

Bringing an NFL team to Pasadena - even temporarily - would require community and council support, said Pasadena city spokeswoman Ann Erdman.

In 2006, Pasadena voters rejected Measure A, which would have allowed the NFL to renovate the stadium for NFL purposes.

"As it stands now, the stadium is not NFL ready," Erdman said. "So, therefore, should there sometime in the future be a major renovation to make it NFL ready, there would be many, many processes to go through."

Norman Parker, president of the Linda Vista/Annandale Association, said that the community has had a fine relationship with Rose Bowl management.

"For a couple of years, we could manage with (an NFL team) quite well, and the Rose Bowl would get some well-needed revenue," Parker said. "We look forward to working with them."

Roski's Los Angeles Stadium would seat 75,000 fans, have 175 suites, could have up to 5 million square feet available for commercial use, and provide nearly 6,000 jobs.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/news/ci_10320589
Saiholmes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #40
Kenni
Administrator

All the way to almost freek'n Chino Hills,...NO WAY, this is a mistake. Way too far. They need to understand we Angelenos spend enough time on the road during the week.

Let's just call the new team the 909'ers instead of the "LA,...something, something".

So many options closer to downtown.
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement