The New NFL Stadium in Inglewood - Page 54 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Los Angeles

Los Angeles » Development News | Transportation | Greater L.A. Area

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2011, 03:06 AM   #1061
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 3146

......well, on 2nd thought, the metrodome roof collapsed before our very eyes, and the city of minneapolis is giving the vikings a hard time with getting a new stadium, so we'll see!
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #1062
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 2049

That's the second time I've seen that stadium design used "officially" for illustrative purposes.
Is this the one they've chosen?
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #1063
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 363

What's next for AEG? Will they get an EIR exemption like Roski?
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #1064
CITYofDREAMS
The Place

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
I love the idea of closing off Chick Hearn Court to vehicular traffic. It effectively creates one large city square.

image hosted on flickr
I'm really loving this... I see a third Olympic Games in LA.
Old February 7th, 2011, 02:01 AM   #1065
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 4846

I am debating whether the new stadium plaza or the new Civic Center park would be a better location for a World Cup fan fest.
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #1066
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
I am debating whether the new stadium plaza or the new Civic Center park would be a better location for a World Cup fan fest.
They wouldn't be able to use the stadium plaza for any matches hosted at the stadium, but if we're talking about any World Cup, not necessarily hosted in the U.S., I'd take the stadium plaza. It would be more fun with all the stuff around it.
ryebreadraz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 06:55 AM   #1067
slipperydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
They wouldn't be able to use the stadium plaza for any matches hosted at the stadium
Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with you, but why is that? In any case, I am inclined to agree that the plaza would be great. Let's hope AEG sets something up for 2014/2018 etc.
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #1068
Kenni
Administrator

Quote:
I say both.
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #1069
vahebaronian
Farmers Field - Git-R-Dun

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamedia View Post
What's next for AEG? Will they get an EIR exemption like Roski?

Thats what they are trying to get, but the quite a bit of councilmen are not willing to lay down for AEG, stressing fiscal responsibility
vahebaronian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #1070
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with you, but why is that? In any case, I am inclined to agree that the plaza would be great. Let's hope AEG sets something up for 2014/2018 etc.
FIFA blocks off the area a certain number of yards from the stadium all the way around. A fan fest in the plaza would be too close to the stadium to meet FIFA's rules.
ryebreadraz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:47 AM   #1071
slipperydog

Interesting, never heard of a limit on people around the stadium. I knew they definitely had regulations about non-sponsored vendors in the immediate area.
Old February 8th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #1072
Saiholmes

Likes (Received): 5352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Times

Ed Roski keeps faith in his stadium plan to bring football back to Los Angeles
Roski, a real estate magnate, says his concept for City of Industry is better than AEG's plan for a stadium near Staples Center. He says he will not back the AEG plan, even after its record-setting naming rights deal with Farmers Insurance.
By Sam Farmer
February 7, 2011
Reporting from Arlington, Texas

Even though his competition in downtown Los Angeles has landed a record-setting deal for naming rights — and the quiet favor of many NFL owners and executives — real estate magnate Ed Roski is far from losing hope on his stadium concept in City of Industry.

Roski still thinks his plan is the best option to bring the NFL back to the L.A. area, and says he has no intention of ever throwing his weight behind the competing project, proposed for a site next to Staples Center.

"No way," he said over breakfast in Dallas, where Sunday he attended the Super Bowl in neighboring Arlington. "Because I don't believe in it. I don't believe that's where it should be. I think we should play football where there's a football place, where we can have an event."

Roski repeatedly stressed his entire focus is bringing football back to L.A., however, and he said would not participate in or fund any lawsuit that would attempt to block a deal downtown, where AEG has proposed replacing the West Hall of the Convention Center with a retractable-roof stadium that would host not only football games, but all types of major events.

"Why would we?" he said when asked if he would sue. "We want to bring football back to Los Angeles. That's all we're working on."

Added John Semcken, Roski's point man on the stadium who also attended the breakfast with a Times reporter: "We have never in almost 70 years as a developer sued another company."

Roski said he has investigated every conceivable site since the late 1990s and has determined the best option is the 600 acres he controls in Industry, both because of the vast area for parking and ancillary development, and because of the site's proximity to Orange County and the Inland Empire.

What's more, the land is fully entitled for a stadium. But Semcken conceded there are only schematics for the venue, not advanced design drawings.

"The only thing we have left to do are construction documents," Semcken said. "So we're all the way through the schematics. So what we would do is while we were grading the site, we'd finish the construction documents."

Tim Leiweke, chief executive of AEG, said the company is working on design drawings to be completed by year's end. Those can cost as much as $10 million or more, and to be done in a timely manner require dozens of architects working full time on the project. The land for the stadium has not been acquired from the city, and a team has not been secured.

"You construct the project with those design drawings," he said. "So without those design drawings, there is no project. You've got to have the design drawings from an architectural firm in order to bid out the project and to get construction. We're going right at it. So that's substantial because of the amount of money it takes to do that.

"If you don't have design drawings, you're a year away. That's reality."

While emphasizing that resolving the labor crisis is by far the top priority, and that there will be no new stadiums until there is a new collective bargaining agreement, several influential NFL owners and executives say they prefer the downtown site, and see its proximity to AEG's L.A. Live as a one-stop-shopping locale for Super Bowls.

"As you sit here during Super Bowl weekend and look at the economic impact on Dallas, it's very clear how well this event would do at L.A. Live," Leiweke said. "It's built to do an event like that. So it's good that everyone's going to focus on bringing football back to L.A."

Whereas Roski watched the Super Bowl from the Cowboys Stadium stands, Leiweke sat in the suite of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. Leiweke said he "had great conversations with owners over the weekend, and they think Phil [Anschutz] and AEG can pull this off. So game on."

Last week, AEG and Farmers Insurance announced the biggest naming-rights deal in history, a 30-year agreement thought to be worth $700 million. Roski was not overly impressed with that deal.

"Do you really think there's a problem getting naming rights in Los Angeles?" Roski said. "That's simple. That's the easiest part of the deal. Why would you want to do it until you're ready to go? You don't need it. …

"We don't think it's important to do that. We think it's to our advantage to wait. Once you've got something going, the price goes up."

Leiweke said AEG has done more naming-rights deals than anyone in the world, "and I'm fairly certain that the method we employed here is the right method. These things aren't easy to do, just ask New York or Dallas" where the NFL teams play in new stadiums without naming-rights partners.

For the most part, Roski steered clear of criticizing the downtown site, other than saying he doesn't think the location is the right one and lumping it in with Carson, Anaheim and other proposed sites that have come and gone.

For months, Industry backers — including their public-relations people and political lobbyists — have been highly critical of the downtown proposal, sometimes making the remarks personal. In December, Semcken told the Orange County Register that Leiweke is "a bad guy" and called the downtown proposal "a pipe dream in Los Angeles that is confusing people."

In emphasizing that the AEG proposal would require "zero taxpayer dollars," Leiweke in December said Industry backers should "stop scaring the public" and that "everyone sees right through them, including the league."

Several high-ranking people within the NFL, while praising the merits of the Industry proposal, have expressed annoyance that much of the recent effort by its backers have been bashing the downtown concept, rather than touting their own.

"I'm the one who created that image," Semcken said. "It's my fault that we were hammering on that other project. What we were trying to do is to get people to focus on our project, and that was before they announced their project. Now that they've announced it, we don't have to do that anymore. We're just going to talk our project, they're going to talk about their project, and people are going to decide what works."

Roski echoed that.

"I think all this rhetoric just confuses the situation," he said. "We just want to get a team back. I'm just tired of watching it on TV.

"I want to go (to the game."
Read More: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,7527140.story
Saiholmes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 06:17 AM   #1073
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

Why is Roski/Majestic still fighting a battle they have clearly already lost? Just give it up already...
Old February 8th, 2011, 06:26 AM   #1074
slipperydog

Apparently the design they showed during the presentation (Gensler) may not even be the actual design. Lieweke said it was simply a prototype and they haven't even chosen the architect yet. He also mentioned they want to clad the outside with the same material as Munich's Allianz Arena, which none of the early drawings have. So I would not be surprised if a) Gensler was not the architect, and b) the final design ends up looking vastly different from any of the drawings we've seen thus far
Old February 8th, 2011, 06:27 AM   #1075
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 2049

When is this design going to be chosen again?
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #1076
vahebaronian
Farmers Field - Git-R-Dun

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Why is Roski/Majestic still fighting a battle they have clearly already lost? Just give it up already...

I think that Roski and Majestic got a little boost when some politicians came out and said they were not happy that in this time of city budget deficits, to give out a $350 million bond to tear down the convention center.

Roski's argument is I'm ready to build without any money from the city. The land is mine, unlike AEG I dont need to borrow money from a broke city.

Seems like the public (the non hardcore sports fans) is starting to feel this way too.

However, the NFL I heard, privately prefers the Downtown option because how everything is centrally located

Last edited by vahebaronian; February 8th, 2011 at 08:22 PM.
vahebaronian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #1077
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1727

For what its worth --- as a person who is not from California, I would MUCH rather see the stadium built in downtown LA. It would be great to go to an event there and have all of the other interesting things to do nearby. Going to something in the City of Industry would not be my idea of an interesting place to go. I'd like to be able to go to an event and have many options of places to walk to nearby or reach different places by taking a ride a short distance in a cab or on local public transit. I'm not that familiar with the City of Industry -- but it sounds like it is a good distance from the heart of LA and the other interesting things in and near central LA. I don't want to go to a stadium that is surrounded by parking lots.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #1078
Saiholmes

Likes (Received): 5352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Times

Leiweke says taxpayer funds won't be used for NFL stadium in L.A.
'We're going to do the right thing,' the AEG chief tells residents skeptical about financing plans for the $1-billion facility proposed for downtown L.A.
By Patrick J. McDonnell, Los Angeles Times
February 9, 2011

The head of the entertainment conglomerate seeking to build a National Football League stadium in downtown Los Angeles shot back at skeptics Tuesday and reiterated his pledge that "not a penny" of taxpayer money would be spent on the mega-project.

"The city's never going to have to pay a penny — and we're going to guarantee it," said Timothy J. Leiweke, president and chief executive officer of Anschutz Entertainment Group, which is behind the $1-billion stadium plan.

"It's easy to take shots at this," said Leiweke, who seemed taken aback at public apprehension that taxpayers could be left footing the bill — despite AEG's vows to the contrary. "Will everyone just take a deep breath and have a little faith that we're not going to lie to people? We're going to do the right thing. Calm down....There's no tricks. There's no risks."

City Councilman Paul Krekorian, who has urged caution on the stadium plan, said Tuesday that detailed studies on the fiscal, environmental and traffic ramifications of the stadium proposal were needed.

"I appreciate [Leiweke's] continuing clear commitment that this proposal will not cost a penny to taxpayers," Krekorian said. "But I, as a member of the City Council, need to analyze this beyond the developer's commitment."

A formal stadium proposal should be presented this week, Leiweke told reporters after a news conference meant to drum up support for a proposed streetcar line downtown. But questions afterward focused not on the streetcar but on the stadium deal that has already been embraced by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and others.

The issue of public subsidies for corporate-owned stadiums and arenas has been a source of contentious debate nationwide for years. Policy-makers have to weigh the projected benefits — such as expanded business, tourism and tax revenues — against the costs to taxpayers.

Several council members have already voiced reservations at a time when the city is facing a fiscal crisis that could result in additional layoffs, furloughs and service cuts. As part of the stadium deal, the city would lease land to AEG and issue $350 million in bonds for a renovation of the adjacent convention center. Leiweke vowed to make up any financing gap if revenue from the stadium and a rebuilt convention center fall short.

"When the proposal gets there, everyone's going to take a deep breath and realize: There is zero risk to the taxpayer," Leiweke said. "This is people trying to scare people. And it's a shame."

The project, Leiweke said, would be a boost for the beleaguered construction industry, where, he said, unemployment has reached 30%. "And if people think that's going to be solved by sitting here and throwing rocks," he said, "they're wrong."

While Los Angeles still lacks a football franchise, Leiweke said the NFL has reacted enthusiastically to the stadium proposal. "They love L.A.," he said of the league. "They want us to get this done."

According to the AEG executive, the L.A. project would be the largest private stadium investment in league history.

"Almost every other community in the world would be throwing parades," Leiweke said.

The AEG chief 's comments followed release of a new study estimating that construction of a streetcar line in downtown Los Angeles would generate 9,300 jobs, $1.1 billion in development and $24.5 million in additional annual tourism and consumer spending.

Business and civic leaders are backing the proposed 4-mile street car loop, which would connect the Bunker Hill arts and finance district to Staples Center, the convention center and the proposed new NFL stadium.

The $125-million street-car project — a throwback to the transit lines that crisscrossed the city before the advent of the freeways — would be built with federal and local funds, backers say, including a new tax assessment on downtown property owners, including AEG, which owns Staples Center and the adjacent L.A. Live entertainment complex . AEG backs the street-car idea and the tax, said Leiweke, who raised the novel prospect of a Super Bowl in Los Angeles with much of the crowd arriving via mass transit.

"It's ironic," Leiweke said of the street-car plan, "that we want to go back to something that was the mainstay 70 years ago."
Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,3025979.story
Saiholmes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #1079
future_trance011

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
For what its worth --- as a person who is not from California, I would MUCH rather see the stadium built in downtown LA. It would be great to go to an event there and have all of the other interesting things to do nearby. Going to something in the City of Industry would not be my idea of an interesting place to go. I'd like to be able to go to an event and have many options of places to walk to nearby or reach different places by taking a ride a short distance in a cab or on local public transit. I'm not that familiar with the City of Industry -- but it sounds like it is a good distance from the heart of LA and the other interesting things in and near central LA. I don't want to go to a stadium that is surrounded by parking lots.

The City of Industry is roughly 25 miles from DTLA. There's really nothing worth seeing in there, unless strip clubs and a bunch of warehouses is your thing.

My friend who is a big NFL fan and lives in Fullerton, which is only a short 10-15 minute drive on the 57 Freeway from Majectic's/Ed Roski's proposed site, doesn't even want it there. He lives a good distance from the heart of LA, yet prefers the DT location. Why? Because he cites LA needing a multi-purpose facility like the one proposed in DT, not a facility that gets used 8 or 9 times out of the year. Which is pretty wasteful of resources and encourages sprawl.

The DTLA stadium proposal is head and shoulders above the COI proposal, which is why we all have to get behind it. Not only cos of the jobs, tax revenue, and ripple effect to downtown/local businesses that will be generated... but also to improve the fan experience for tourists such as yourself in the (hopefully), not too distant future because of the more centralized location -- Imagine getting on a subway/light rail train and going to Hollywood, Old Pasadena (or even Santa Monica someday), after an event at the downtown location, leaving the hassle of driving/being stuck in traffic that one would indefinitely encounter in the COI location, due to the sub-par infrastructure there. That's not to say that there won't be traffic in and around downtown itself, but at least people will have options. Plus there will be many hotels in downtown within walking distance from that stadium and if you elect to stay in downtown? You could just walk. Can you believe it? Walking in LA? What a contrarian concept! Well it'll be happening a lot more with projects like these that centralize things and make it easier for all of us residents (and even visitors such as yourself).

The emphasis on "options" that the DTLA proposal offers as an Events Center/prime destination in a centralized location, will speak for itself and is ultimately (in my opinion), what makes it the more attractive and most logical proposal for the City of Angels.
future_trance011 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #1080
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 974

Im honestly tired of the Traffic naysayers. Remember a few years ago, we had the Super LA Sports Day. all of these happened at the same time and it wasnt that bad..

USC at Colosieum - 92,000
UCLA at Rose Bowl - 65,000
Dodgers at Dodger Stadium - 56,000
Kings at Staples Center - 18,000

and i believe there was a convention as well.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement