Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2015, 03:50 AM   #101
robrymond

Likes (Received): 4

Plans for a new complex opposite the Octagon retail park and the new Premier Inn including a pub, several resturants including a SECOND Nandos (the first isn't even open yet), TGI Fridays etc.

Certainly an interesting year ahead for the city. It really has took off in the last few years and this should be good for the night time economy.
robrymond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2015, 04:35 PM   #102
Urbanicity

Likes (Received): 124

The new council offices are nearly finished now. I heard the move in date was May - I assume that's still going ahead? No word yet on the hotel, which was meant to be part of the next phase, but it looks as if they are now pushing ahead with a rather boring looking office block (3 Smithfield).

You can see the progress here:
(Sorry, don't know how to resize the images)

http://www.smithfieldstoke.com/on-site.php

Urbanicity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #103
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8330

I thought it would come out a bit nicer than that, more of a continuous pattern than just sections
sefton66 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2015, 09:36 PM   #104
sefton66

Like this rather than rows, unless some of the glazing is to be decal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
Old February 25th, 2015, 11:04 PM   #105
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5918

Not sure I like that. They look more opaque, nothing like the renders.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 01:09 AM   #106
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4505

Is it April 1st already?
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #107
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanicity View Post
The new council offices are nearly finished now. I heard the move in date was May - I assume that's still going ahead? No word yet on the hotel, which was meant to be part of the next phase, but it looks as if they are now pushing ahead with a rather boring looking office block (3 Smithfield).

You can see the progress here:
(Sorry, don't know how to resize the images)

http://www.smithfieldstoke.com/on-site.php

I like that
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:32 PM   #108
Sandblast

Would you "like that" in central Birmingham - or that it's ok for Stoke?
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:56 PM   #109
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

I would, in the right place. Obviously I can't see its context or up close quality of detail, but I could see something like that working in Digbeth or Eastside.
Old March 1st, 2015, 10:53 PM   #110
sefton66

Too colourful for eastside

Biosonic liked this post
Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:45 AM   #111
Sandblast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
I would, in the right place. Obviously I can't see its context or up close quality of detail, but I could see something like that working in Digbeth or Eastside.
Possibly.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:53 AM   #112
Urbanicity

Stoke's a pretty grey place, so I think it's great that the council are investing in some statement buildings. Sure, not everyone likes it, but not everyone likes the Library of Birmingham either. Similarly to the Library cladding, this is meant to reference the history and culture of Stoke, so why not inject a little fun and colour into a new development?

DBadger liked this post
Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:57 AM   #113
Sandblast

The computer renders look great. It's been lost a bit (lot) with the final product. Just being constructive, because Stoke deserves high quality developments like anywhere else.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 07:49 AM   #114
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 796

I think decals will be added by the looks of things, those panels look lie external cladding with transparencies possibly being added to give is a slightly more random look. If not then the style will look pretty bland ie seen-it-all-before. The renders do look a lot more interesting.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 01:02 PM   #115
Urbanicity

An update from the Stoke Smithfield website ( http://www.smithfieldstoke.com/on-site.php ) - they are running behind, since the Council were meant to start moving in May. But the landscaping has now started, so the end must definitely be approaching. Again, sorry about the picture size!

In other Stoke news, the Intu shopping centre expansion is nearly finished, which will bring national restaurant chains to the city for the first time (Nandos, Pizza Express, etc). And a new sculpture is going up in the north of the city, taller than the Angel of the North. Again, this project has suffered delays, but it's a beautiful sculpture with a lot of meaning. Hopefully it will attract some national media attention when it is officially unveiled in a few weeks.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Golde...ail/story.html

Quote:
FAMILIES gazed in awe as a sculpture taller than the Angel of the North went up in the city.

The 21-metre high steel artwork, named Golden, now dominates the North Staffordshire skyline after being installed on the site of the Goldendale East steelworks in Chatterley Valley, last night.

The sculpture was designed by award-winning artist Wolfgang Buttress and features 1,500 glass balls, each containing a short message or wish.

It was originally set to be installed in 2013 but the project was hit by delays.

The sculpture has been funded using £130,000 of Section 106 money from developments in Chatterley Valley.

The money was ring-fenced, meaning that it could only be used on new public art or maintaining existing public art in the area.

Megan Ryan, above, chairman of Nash Peake Street Residents' Association, has been involved with the project since the beginning.

She said: "There has been a lot of excitement about the sculpture arriving and when I saw it on site, it almost brought a tear to my eye. Once all of the landscaping work is complete, it will be an area where people of all ages can come and relax, have a picnic and enjoy the stunning views for miles around."

The sculpture includes powerful LED lights which will shine at night and act as a prism during the day to reflect sunlight around the piece.
Old May 28th, 2015, 10:27 AM   #116
mattmeir

Likes (Received): 1

Hey folks... I'm from Stoke and, having moved away for a number of years, am back there now.

I stumbled across this thread (and another which has been abandoned)... If/when we get news of developments I'm happy to update unless someone beats me to it!

And The Sentinel doing the good ol' misleading article... Chatterley Valley is hardly 'in the city'. And apart from this little piece about it, there's been no coverage that I've seen elsewhere..! Typical Stoke really.

RalphGuy liked this post
mattmeir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2015, 06:54 AM   #117
robrymond

I live in Stoke but I rarely go to that side of Hanley so the first real images I've seen were on here of the new council buildings.

Except of course they may not be council buildings now that Labour have been booted out. The new coalition is dead against moving and want to sell the space. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing really.

As for the Potteries Extension, I thought it was due to open this Summer but alas it isn't. The brickwork is pretty boring and a mis-match of random colours (like its been done on the cheap). It'll be good to see chain resturants though, even though I'm not a fan, it'll attract new people.

All in all good investment in Hanley. And there is supposed to be a new leisure development opposite the Octagan retail park with a second Nandos and more resturants. Not sure when this is due to start though.
Old June 25th, 2015, 11:32 PM   #118
mattmeir

Likes (Received): 1

CBD should have been occupied by now.
Unfortunately, it isn't.

Despite spending £60m on the 'rubiks cube' build, the council have not yet moved in as a result of faults in the concrete flooring.
Council saying it's a potential structural issue and sent samples to experts - contractors saying it's purely cosmetic...
Old June 26th, 2015, 12:53 AM   #119
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 500

It was on Midlands Today last night. I think they were bracing themselves for the worst as the Council were saying that the building may need demolition before they even move in

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...ke-council-hq/
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2015, 06:44 AM   #120
robrymond

The new Potteries entertainment complex will be open at least by December 18th when the Cineworld opens. The design of the roof looks slightly different to the concept, more square than circular.

The old Place has being demolished and the land purchased by the shopping centre, presumably for temporary parking until they decide on a use.

Street realm works have continued and the areas that have been finished look very decent. Just the main shopping square to do now to make it look complete and modern.

Finally a new complex will start work next year opposite the Octagan retail park and new Premier Inn with restaurants and a pub complex. Lots going on around the city!

Zim Flyer liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement