Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire - Page 9 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2017, 01:13 AM   #161
Rijowhite

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL BLUE View Post
I own a business in Tamworth Town Centre, I'm not sure how much I can post but there is a lot of work underway behind the scenes to improve the Town Centre amongst the Business community. Including Stores at Ventura who are genuinely trying to help the Town Centre.

We have a ballot this October, which I am able to take part in, for the implementation of a B.I.D.

Needless to say it has my backing.

https://bidtamworth.wordpress.com/

Here's the prospectus:
https://bidtamworth.files.wordpress....inal-web-3.pdf
Thanks for posting. Very much appreciated. I'm liking what is happening with Tamworth's Bars/Pubs at the moment...a big improvement on what was very much a dying scene. So much more to do though. I agree with Jennifer Daws, Greggs Shop Manager in that Transport needs to be improved between Ventura Park and the Town Centre. I really wish Snowdome and the Cinema could be rebuilt to compliment the Town more though, they are as ugly as sin especially the former.
Rijowhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2017, 01:15 AM   #162
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5909

It's when I see things like the Snowdome that I begin to hate people who are against Disneyification/Pastiche, as it could look really nice if themed to fit in with the local area.

Eww.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022

Rijowhite liked this post
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2017, 11:34 PM   #163
Rijowhite

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger View Post
It's when I see things like the Snowdome that I begin to hate people who are against Disneyification/Pastiche, as it could look really nice if themed to fit in with the local area.

Eww.
Not an attractive building in the slightest. I can live with the Cinema methinks but this place just doesn't look like it belongs in the Town and looks dated outside.
Rijowhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2017, 09:50 PM   #164
RobTheBuilder

Likes (Received): 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokey33 View Post
What's being built across the road?
It's a new public services hub, including library, registrar's office, police station and council offices.
http://www.lewishickey.com/projects/...c-services-hub
RobTheBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 01:24 AM   #165
DBadger
culled

Back to Uttoxeter.

A couple of years ago, the town centre JCB factory was demolished in favour of extending the Rocester site a few miles away.

Currently a Waitrose has been built on part of the huge site. Was meant to be joined by an M&S (not sure if that is still going ahead).

Well, this is the plan for the rest of the site, plus a park centred on the Picknal Brook.

The Waitrose store has been built on part of this plan (the mid rise North of the bridge), but everything South of the bridge is still going ahead and planning has gone in for this.

As for the town itself, I lied when I said there were no vacant units, there is one, the former Coop. This has now been taken on by Sports Direct however. Apparently they have yet to sign contracts, but they've already put vinyls up.

nigeman liked this post
Old November 30th, 2017, 09:51 PM   #166
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8202

I thought we had a thread for Stoke somewhere but can’t find it

Quote:
MAJOR STOKE APARTMENT SCHEME TIPPED FOR GO-AHEAD

30 Nov 2017
Midlands
Property
Jon Robinson
Major Stoke apartment scheme tipped for go-ahead
Plans to construct two 11-storey apartment blocks in the centre of Stoke for the build-to-rent sector have been recommended for approval.

The project, which will create two buildings comprising 151 and 126 homes respectively, would be the first scheme of its kind in the city if given the nod by Stoke City Council at a meeting on Wednesday 6 December.

The proposed residential development at Smithfield would be constructed by developer Genr8 in partnership with the city council-owned housing company Fortior Homes. The scheme has been designed specifically as a build-to-rent project to provide long-term private rental homes.

As well as apartments, the first residential block would also have amenity space and communal gardens. There would also be leisure, commercial and retail opportunities on the ground floor, including a gym, office space and retail units.

The second building of 126 units, if approved, would be part of a future phase.

The first phase of Smithfield Stoke-on-Trent - which included 210,000 sq ft of office space now known as One Smithfield and Two Smithfield - was completed in August 2015 and is occupied by the city council along with private sector companies.

Further phases are now in the pipeline, including a 140-bedroom Hilton Garden Inn, which received planning permission last month, and the next phase of offices.

A council document published ahead of the meeting said: "The aim of the development is to create a high quality build to fent offer and further office space at a prominent brownfield site within the city centre.

"The development of build to rent units responds to an identified gap in the existing housing market and seeks to attract people to live in the city centre and widen the choice of housing in terms of type and tenure.

"The principle of office and commercial elements outlined within the submission are consistent with the extant permission for the Smithfield site."
https://www.insidermedia.com/insider...d-for-go-ahead

Rijowhite, Telfordboy liked this post
sefton66 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2017, 07:55 AM   #167
B78

Likes (Received): 186

Apologies if this has been posted before.

http://venturasouth.co.uk/

An extension to Ventura Park in Tamworth, on the opposite side of the a5 to where Ventura currently sits. An interesting mix of uses I think, with one of the drive through restaurants looking likely to be Starbucks from the render.

Looks like quite a bit of work will be done with the road layout around it.
B78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2017, 12:51 AM   #168
DBadger
culled

Unity Walk | Stoke-on-Trent (Hanley) | Retail | 435k sqft | Prop.

New shopping centre for Hanley. Smart High Street extension, no roof.

Anchored by Marks and Spencer and Next, both relocating. Also The Light cinema.

As you can see in the next pic, it is a straight continuation of the High Street so should be very successful.

Approved: https://www.unitywalk.co.uk/news/uni...s-green-light/

This replaces City Sentral, which was to be a covered mall.

[CANCELLED]

Old January 13th, 2018, 03:47 PM   #169
DBadger
culled

Next have pulled out of the scheme so now demolition won't start this month as planned, but late 2018.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/...-latest-991727

Next have renewed their Potteries Centre lease, but M&S and The Light are still committed to Unity Walk.

Old January 13th, 2018, 03:52 PM   #170
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14962

Woah, Next are usually the first to jump into any new retail development, wonder if they (or that store in particular) are under performing.
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 03:54 PM   #171
DBadger
culled

Perhaps they simply prefer Hammerson's to Intu, as the takeover happened after this was announced.

Also there isn't actually that much to this development, only a dozen or so shops.

Old January 13th, 2018, 04:14 PM   #172
DBadger
culled

I think the curved building in the renders, the three storey one to the North, is actually a separate scheme, which has also unfortunately been put on hold.

Quote:
And demolition work has also still not started on a £6 million shops development planned for Hanley's Parliament Row - almost 12 months after the iconic Burton Stores pub was forced to shut.
http://www.briefreport.co.uk/news/pl...y-3031325.html

It's separate to Unity Walk but the two would form one coherent place.

Realis Estates

Old February 21st, 2018, 05:34 AM   #173
DBadger
culled

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger View Post
I drive a lot around the Featherstone area (J2) and frankly that area is not really "countryside" at all, it's light industry and fields of dirt; unlike the more pleasant Coven and Brewood side of the A449, the bit around Brinsford could be developed without much loss. .
So it turns out there's a reason the land around here is so glum... It was an MOD site working with depleted uranium. That block was "remediated" and the prison was built on it, but who knows what happened on the rest of the site, secrets and all that. There's rumours that depleted uranium was dumped at Bowman's Harbour in Wednesfield and that when the leisure centre was built there radiation suits came out. Apparently. Bowman's Harbour is monitored weekly for various substances and leakages and it sounds like a little more than just slag was dumped there...

Edit: yep, secrets.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ad-a-fire.html

Edit 2: my dad recalls the council fitting a sensor to detect "natural radiation from granite" around the same time... We live just across the M54 from the site. Oh dear.

Apparently when contractors arrived at Bowman's they had to have radiation checks on entering and leaving but we're never told why and the manager of the contractors had to sign a declaration.

You ever wish you hadn't started researching something?

Last edited by DBadger; February 21st, 2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old March 24th, 2018, 11:51 PM   #174
DBadger
culled

I found a lovely little village called Oaken today, just near Codsall. There's nowt there, no amenities or anything, but nonetheless a pleasant place. Red phone boxes and post boxes all over. (Not particularly great to drive around as it's very narrow country lanes with tight bends)

Unfortunately... I knew I'd recognised the name from somewhere. The South Staffs site allocations document I mentioned before has plenty of entries for Oaken / land at Oaken / land near Oaken. The area's probably going to get built up and joined on to Codsall at some point in the future.

Lucy's Wednesday Walks

Old July 4th, 2018, 09:12 AM   #175
B78

Likes (Received): 186

https://www.greaterbirminghamchamber...buys-key-site/

I hope they get this right, as it could be a game changer for the town centre.
B78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2018, 11:22 PM   #176
DBadger
culled

Phew. Stafford dodged a bullet. The listed Bear pub was gonna go from this, to this:

E&S

Now Marston's and the council have settled on this:

E&S

Old August 20th, 2018, 12:58 AM   #177
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 1189

It would have looked so tacky. Although the original still looks best the compromise is better than the earlier version.
Old August 29th, 2018, 02:18 PM   #178
DBadger
culled

There's an application (May) for a further extension of Perton from the one we knew about. Was to be extended towards Pattingham Road, South of the village. This new app is for the land between Perton and Perton Park Golf Club, other side of Wrottesley Park Road. Disappointing, to me, as that's clearly greenbelt in my opinion.

(Yellow is what I was aware of, red is new)

Old March 8th, 2019, 11:27 PM   #179
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 5133

Transformation of derelict hospital in Stafford.

www.thebusinessdesk.com/westmidlands/news/2027201-housebuilder-generates-22m-from-transformation-of-derelict-hospital
RalphGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 06:58 PM   #180
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 5133

Regeneration consultants AspinallVerdi appointed to deliver town centre masterplan for Gungate site.

www.thebusinessdesk.com/westmidlands/news/2027529-regeneration-consultants-appointed-to-deliver-town-centre-masterplan
RalphGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement