LONDON - Stamford Bridge (41,631 -> 60,000) - Page 54 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Proposed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 9th, 2016, 12:58 AM   #1061
superted4

Likes (Received): 468

Any updates on how the planning application is being perceived by other affected parties? All seems to have gone quiet
superted4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2016, 01:41 AM   #1062
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 26145

I was reading a little more about this anachronistic Chelsea Pitch Owners, seems they got a great bargain, buying the land in 1994 for a meager £13.000.000. That is insanity. Way too cheap.
Old June 9th, 2016, 06:36 PM   #1063
Hemi 426

Likes (Received): 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I was reading a little more about this anachronistic Chelsea Pitch Owners, seems they got a great bargain, buying the land in 1994 for a meager £13.000.000. That is insanity. Way too cheap.
You have to remember that the football club actually transferred the freehold to Chelsea Pitch Owners. As real estate with planning permission for hundreds of luxury apartments the site would indeed be worth a fortune. But the whole idea of creating Chelsea Pitch Owners was to break up the ownership of the land into thousands of plots owned by individual fans as shareholders. That way, the stadium site couldn't fall into the hands of property developers or a future owner of the club couldn't sell the land. CPO raises the money to repay the loan that acquired the freehold by selling shares at £100 each. It also has fundraising events such as dinners and football tournaments at Stamford Bridge in the summer.

At the moment some 21,000 shares have been sold. The football club has a 199 year lease with a peppercorn rent as part of the whole arrangement. The CPO isn't a profit making organisation. The share prices are fixed at £100, there is a limit on how many one person can have and a limit on voting rights in case property developers tried to buy up a majority of them.

It is essentially a supporter owned safety valve to protect the club's historical stadium. That doesn't mean it would always force the club to stay there. If it was thought it was best to leave to a new site, then it would be democratically voted on. Likewise, as owners of the name 'Chelsea Football Club' they would also be asked to approve a temporary move to another stadium whilst Stamford Bridge was rebuilt. With regards to the current planning application and a possible Wembley move, the CPO board has already said they support the clubs proposals so far.

Bazukstan74 liked this post
Hemi 426 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2016, 11:50 PM   #1064
ScrapeThis

Likes (Received): 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi 426 View Post
The RFU seems loathe to have 'real football' at its headquarters. Which seems churlish since Wembley has hosted the egg chasers and a number of Rugby clubs play their matches in football grounds.
Sorry for p*ssing on your little bit of fun but football is a medieval word and refers to games played "on foot". It has nothing to do with kicking a ball with your foot.

Your game is called Association Football or soccer (from Assoc. an English public school nickname for the game. As is rugger for rugby). Granted that amongst your kind it is fine to call it football. After all, it is a simple and unsubtle game for simple and unsubtle people.

Every nation that has a variation of the game of football has the right to call their version football but not to call it "real" football. Soccer had the "fair catch" rule for outfield players and the "no forward pass rule" for many years before they were removed. Rather like the parent game of rugby.

So be careful with your nomenclature otherwise you come across as a right fool. Stick to architecture.
ScrapeThis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 08:58 AM   #1065
Renegade_Bison

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapeThis View Post
After all, it is a simple and unsubtle game for simple and unsubtle people.

Every nation that has a variation of the game of football has the right to call their version football but not to call it "real" football.

Im slightly dismayed at the sheer level of unwarranted arrogance in this post, but since you've tried really hard to present yourself as some kind of higher class I think you really do deserve a reply.

I think you'll find people and their respective countries have the right to call a sport whatever they want, regardless of if it upsets you. You pretending to be well educated by thinking that most people don't know what rugger means suggests you're pretty far out of touch with reality. Rugger is a common word used by many Brits of all classes, unlike soccer which is almost never used in daily language outside of any official circles for disambiguation.

You have the right to make silly irrelevant comments about football being a 'simple and unsubtle game for simple and unsubtle people' but it demonstrates how little you know about the sport and a pretty shocking level of disdain for the billion odd people worldwide who love it.

There are incredibly few team sports with more than a few players, constantly evolving tactics and an uncountable number of in-game variables that can be fairly considered as simple and unsubtle. If you only see simplicity when you watch it and play it I fear you don't know really what you're seeing (believe it or not it's more than just swinging your foot at a round thing).

I'd suggest you yourself might be better suited to sticking to architecture as well...

Back to the discussion of Chelsea - the latest stadium proposal pictures from a few weeks back look pretty cool. As an arsenal fan I have to say it has far more character than the Emirates, but we'll see if they manage to come good on their plans. The elevated walkway entrance looks particularly cool.

AstroBiont, Atlantropa, Alanzeh liked this post

Last edited by Renegade_Bison; June 15th, 2016 at 09:07 AM.
Renegade_Bison no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 09:14 AM   #1066
AstroBiont

Likes (Received): 880

Ah yes, the un-simple and subtle game of rugger.
AstroBiont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 02:59 PM   #1067
ScrapeThis

Ah yes, a real man.

A soccer player would walk off the field and not go back on again until his hairdresser had given him a new bouffant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N2rK5mGYjk

Soccer was just as common a word in the UK as football afore the North American Soccer League was formed and then your sort got snooty about the word. But as you are a kid with no knowledge of the history of your beloved game then you wouldn't know that.

The masses watching soccer does mean that the game has to be simple and unsubtle so they can understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBiont View Post

Ah yes, the un-simple and subtle game of rugger.
Old June 15th, 2016, 03:30 PM   #1068
5portsF4n

Likes (Received): 1261

Basically, soccer (or football) is the best sport in the world, and rugby isn't. I think that's what we're really getting at here.

The ravings of this lunatic seem quite at odds considering 98% of his posts are on soccer related threads.

I do agree with Hemi, though. Resistance to soccer at Twickenham goes to show what an inferiority complex rugby has, especially when football freely rents out its stadiums all across England, including Wembley. For all its 'mightier than thou' rhetoric, rugby wishes it was a 1/100 popular as soccer.

tonttula, Hansadyret, seba93 liked this post
5portsF4n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 03:57 PM   #1069
AstroBiont

Quote:
Ah yes, a real man.

A soccer player would walk off the field and not go back on again until his hairdresser had given him a new bouffant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N2rK5mGYjk

Soccer was just as common a word in the UK as football afore the North American Soccer League was formed and then your sort got snooty about the word. But as you are a kid with no knowledge of the history of your beloved game then you wouldn't know that.

The masses watching soccer does mean that the game has to be simple and unsubtle so they can understand it.

Alanzeh, seba93 liked this post
Old June 15th, 2016, 08:03 PM   #1070
ScrapeThis

But this isn't a soccer thread, is it? It's an architecture thread polluted by knuckle dragging Neanderthals with their boring "my team is better than your team" guff.

Re: the rest of your guff - Quality over quantity. Twickenham doesn't need knuckle draggers ripping up its facilities, which would happen if Chelsea fans and haters of Chelsea fans use Twickenham's facilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5portsF4n View Post
Basically, soccer (or football) is the best sport in the world, and rugby isn't. I think that's what we're really getting at here.

The ravings of this lunatic seem quite at odds considering 98% of his posts are on soccer related threads.

I do agree with Hemi, though. Resistance to soccer at Twickenham goes to show what an inferiority complex rugby has, especially when football freely rents out its stadiums all across England, including Wembley. For all its 'mightier than thou' rhetoric, rugby wishes it was a 1/100 popular as soccer.
Old June 17th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #1071
terryalan

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:

I am 67.
I never heard 'football' called soccer until the US got involved.
Glad to know that at 67 you still regard me as a kid, Methusalah.

Atlantropa liked this post
terryalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2016, 06:38 PM   #1072
Hemi 426

Likes (Received): 554

The term 'soccer' has been around for a long time and can be found in early UK newspaper reports and even match-day programmes. But it was usually used by journalists and broadcasters who had been educated at public schools and university's where rugby was the dominant code. 'The Football Association' is the world's oldest governing body of the game preceding those of Rugby, GAA, American Football and Aussie Rules. So its use shouldn't irritate. It's simply used by those where another code of football is dominant. It's interesting though that even the RFU has been doing a rebranding job with its 'England Rugby' tag. When someone says 'Did you see the football last night' in Britain, the vast majority (even public schoolboys) don't need confirmation of what code is being referred to.

Hemi 426 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2016, 09:43 AM   #1073
Bazza.
AC Engineer. COYS

Likes (Received): 5331

LONDON - Stamford Bridge (41,798 -> 60,000)

Your game is called Association Football or soccer (from Assoc. an English public school nickname for the game. As is rugger for rugby). Granted that amongst your kind it is fine to call it football. After all, it is a simple and unsubtle game for simple and unsubtle people. QUOTE....

And there was me thinking the name Rugby came about because a simpleton public school kid in Rugby (the town) who couldn't quite grasp the rules of Football, picked the ball up and ran with it. With other players joining in they then decided to make up a set of rules for the new game.

A great game, but a game born out of misunderstanding of the rules of football.

Football is called other names by other sports but it's name is football and always will be.
Old June 18th, 2016, 11:51 AM   #1074
Renegade_Bison

Likes (Received): 66

Ah yes the utter simplicity of 'soccer' is mind blogging. Look at what this simpleton does by just wildly swinging his foot at that round thing.

I for one am getting tired of arguing with someone who has an opinion on something he literally doesn't understand.

https://youtu.be/ia-zi5oLa_0

its really quite remarkable how people like you try so hard to make people believe they're well educated. The irony being that well educated people don't need to try to give off an impression of intelligence or knowing what they're talking about. You remind me someone I went to university with who used to talk the talk but never did get the grades
Renegade_Bison no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2016, 04:31 PM   #1075
Pellshekk

Likes (Received): 1477

Quote:
But as you are a kid with no knowledge of the history of your beloved game then you wouldn't know that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryalan View Post
I am 67.

That's funny....

terryalan liked this post
Pellshekk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 11:54 AM   #1076
r.bartlett

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryalan View Post
I am 67.
I never heard 'football' called soccer until the US got involved.
Glad to know that at 67 you still regard me as a kid, Methusalah.
I remember it being used, not as often and slightly confusing. We played football and the rest of the world played soccer..

Quote:
Raich Carter’s Soccer Star was launched in the autumn of 1952.
The magazine dropped Carter’s name after 3 seasons and the magazine continued as Soccer Star, a weekly issue with excellent coverage of both domestic but also overseas football.
Soccer Star continued through into June 1970 when it was merged with World Soccer after an 18 season and 936 issue existence;

Atlantropa, alexandru.mircea liked this post
r.bartlett no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 07:55 PM   #1077
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi 426 View Post
'The Football Association' is the world's oldest governing body of the game preceding those of Rugby, GAA, American Football and Aussie Rules. So its use shouldn't irritate. It's simply used by those where another code of football is dominant.

The Football Association maybe the oldest continuous governing body but Aussie Rules was codified 4 years before Association Football making it the oldest of the modern Football Codes and its original Governing Body 'The Melbourne Football Club" still exists within the Games high level in the AFL.

Walbanger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 08:30 PM   #1078
r.bartlett

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
The Football Association maybe the oldest continuous governing body but Aussie Rules was codified 4 years before Association Football making it the oldest of the modern Football Codes and its original Governing Body 'The Melbourne Football Club" still exists within the Games high level in the AFL.
We're all drifting hopelessly off topic probably because of the lack of movement on the project but I must admit this threw me slightly as I'd assumed the FA was the first of that ilk.

Thanks for the update .

Walbanger liked this post
r.bartlett no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2016, 05:36 AM   #1079
5portsF4n

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.bartlett View Post
We're all drifting hopelessly off topic probably because of the lack of movement on the project but I must admit this threw me slightly as I'd assumed the FA was the first of that ilk.

Thanks for the update .
I guess being first hasn't done much for Aussie Rules...

Walbanger liked this post
5portsF4n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2016, 02:32 PM   #1080
AstroBiont

Just to get slightly back on topic whilst there's no news from the actual Stamford Bridge proposal itself, does the image below of one of the failed Camp Nou redevelopment proposals remind anyone of anything?

Some other pics in the link below:

http://stadiumdb.com/designs/esp/camp_nou_2016_3

Smithfield Building, Hemi 426 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
london, stadiums