The Official "I have a question about photography" Thread - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > General Photography

General Photography General discussions on photography and non urban photos

Old July 12th, 2008, 03:14 AM   #101
aleph_null

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedemann View Post
Yes, ok. And what shall these tags signalize, what's their function?
Tags are keywords used for searching:

aleph_null no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #102
ddrmaxgt37

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by landDK View Post
I wanna by my first DSLR camera anytime soon and after I tried the Canon EOS 450D a couple of times I prettty much felt in love with it. But now I see that there'll soon come a Canon EOS 1000D which is pretty much a downgrade of the 450D and slightly cheaper (around 180€ cheaper). So I wanted to ask you guys if you think that the 450D will be worth the extra money?

EOS 1000D: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon_1000d/

EOS 450D: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos450d/

...and I also wanted to know if the kid-lens would be good enough to begin with. I read both positive and negative reviews of it.

EF-S 18-55mm IS: http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...p5-5p6_is_c16/

I would say. If you can stand getting a used body, get a used 20d or 30d. They are built better and have some features that the 300D-1000D/Kiss/Rebel series don't: ISO 3200, 1/8000 shutter speed, magnesium construction, etc.

Also, stay away from the kit lens. It is good if you only have around 100 USD to spend but if you can afford more, I would say get the 28-135 IS. It has great build quality and has very good optics i.e. very sharp. It is around 250-350 and since it comes with the 40D kit now, people are selling new copies for used prices.

Also a good lens to try is the tamron 28-75mm 2.8 xr di ld. It has a similar focal length of the canon 24-70 and good build quality but comes at a fraction of the price.
ddrmaxgt37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #103
SaRaJeVo-City
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

I have a question.
I want to get into SLR photography, but before I get my camera, lenses and filters, etc. I want to learn all about the different things there is to SLR cameras and their lenses and accessories. Is there like a book that teaches you all the different things that are on a SLR camera, such as the ISO, exposure, etc? I basically have no idea what the difference is between lenses and all the different numbers like 70mm or what not or things like f/1.8 ? I have no idea what f stands for or the numbers...is there a book I can buy that teaches you all the things there is to know, to master a SLR camera or at least be very familiar with it...or a web site that breaks it down in easy terminology of what things are and how they are achieved and what their impact is on better photos, etc.
SaRaJeVo-City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2008, 02:42 AM   #104
aleph_null

^you want to master SLR photography without owning a camera? good luck.

that's like reading a book "learn how to code in C" without having an access to the computer. it's just pointless.

start with the most obvious www.dpreview.com to read about different cameras and such, or www.bythom.com to read some Nikon oriented articles/reviews. but unless you OWN a camera, there's really no book that will make you a photo guru just by reading.
Old July 21st, 2008, 02:54 AM   #105
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaRaJeVo-City View Post
I have a question.
I want to get into SLR photography, but before I get my camera, lenses and filters, etc. I want to learn all about the different things there is to SLR cameras and their lenses and accessories. Is there like a book that teaches you all the different things that are on a SLR camera, such as the ISO, exposure, etc? I basically have no idea what the difference is between lenses and all the different numbers like 70mm or what not or things like f/1.8 ? I have no idea what f stands for or the numbers...is there a book I can buy that teaches you all the things there is to know, to master a SLR camera or at least be very familiar with it...or a web site that breaks it down in easy terminology of what things are and how they are achieved and what their impact is on better photos, etc.
Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson is a popular book. It will help you learn the relationship between aperture, shutter speed, and ISO--the three elements of exposure.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 02:58 AM   #106
Sergei
iMod

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazardously_wasted View Post
^you want to master SLR photography without owning a camera? good luck.

that's like reading a book "learn how to code in C" without having an access to the computer. it's just pointless.

start with the most obvious www.dpreview.com to read about different cameras and such, or www.bythom.com to read some Nikon oriented articles/reviews. but unless you OWN a camera, there's really no book that will make you a photo guru just by reading.
I have to agree. The best way to learn is through personal experience.
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #107
grand012

How do i put a texture on a picture?

i don't know how to put a texture on a picture and i really need quick help!!!

i have photoshop 7
grand012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #108
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 14381

Rather obviously this question is in the wrong place, so I will move it.

My Life Thus Far.... Toronto and beyond
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #109
Rubo

Likes (Received): 3

I have a Sony DSC f828, that was my first and only camera of life.
Whenever I felt difficult reduce noise, even using low ISO, 64100, nothing seems to work well.
Now a disaster happened recently. My lens is severely damaged. Here, I have not met this lens, and the estimated price is very expensive, what makes me think of a new camera. Maybe an SLR, not very expensive, but one that offers better results.
I will appreciate the suggestions.
Thanx!
Rubo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #110
aleph_null

what's your budget?
Old August 7th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #111
Rubo

Likes (Received): 3

Something close to the price of a Sony A300k or A200k.
But I am really afraid to buy another sony.
Rubo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #112
Gecko1989

Likes (Received): 1

How do i create albums on my profile?
Hey i went to the User CP like the FAQ said but i cant find the pictures and albums link it talks about. I know the answer to this question is probably staring me in the face and i am just to stupid to see it but i really need help. Can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong.
Gecko1989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #113
i_am_hydrogen
muted

What do you mean by albums?
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #114
Gecko1989

Likes (Received): 1

like i want to be able to post pictures with my posts. The site (skyscrapercity) says that to be able to do this i need to create an album using the User CP. It says that at the User CP page all i have to do is click on the albums and pictures link to upload my photos. But when i go to the page i can not find the "albums pictures" link the FAQ talks about.
Gecko1989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 09:14 AM   #115
i_am_hydrogen
muted

In order to post pictures, you need to upload them to a website like imageshack.us
Old August 31st, 2008, 02:59 PM   #116
Sumeet

Location: Hong Kong (HK) : Bangkok (TH) : Melbourne (Aus) : Dubai (UAE)

Hi guys, hope you are all well.
I am planning on buying my first DSLR this coming week, the options i have laid out for myself are the Canon 450D or the Sony a300, as this is within the range of my budget. I have read a number of reviews online in regards to both the cameras and can't really decide which one to pick.

Shall i get the standard Canon 450D body and the EF-S 55-250mm IS, or the Standard 450D kit EF-S 18-55mm IS (as a starter, as Ive still got to master the common lens) or the Sony alpha a300

If any of you all have suggestions or recommendations, i will highly appreciate them. All the best and happy clicking!
Sumeet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:25 PM   #117
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 5366

Question about cameras:

I dropped ym Canon A570IS over the weekend while the lens was out, and it's broken now. I went to see if it could be fixed, and I found out that it would make more sense to spend another $50 and just get a replacement.

I want to get another A570IS because I'm used to it, I have rechargeable AA batteries, and I already have a memory card. Before I get an A570IS, I want to know if there is a slight upgrade that by Canon that will let me use my same memory card and use AA batteries. How are the A590 and A580? Do they have more/better features than the A570, or less/worse features? What features are missing on the A590 or A580 that are on the A570, or vice versa?
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:32 PM   #118
aleph_null

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp..._a580&show=all

pretty much all the same, but you might want to go with the 590IS if only for the higher resolution.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 06:48 AM   #119
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 5366

Thanks for that comparison. It looks like the cameras are the same. One difference that I noticed is that it says 4x digital zoom for the A570, and up to 4x digital zoom for the A590. What is the difference between those? With my A570, I could actually zoom in to 16x, although that was grainy. Usually, the 7x mark was where some images were crisp and some were grainy. Will I be able to zoom in that far? Will some pictures be grainy as low as 4x or something with the A590?
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:02 AM   #120
aleph_null

the way i see it (i could be wrong, as i don't use compact cameras) is, you have a 4x optical zoom and 4x digital zoom, for the total of 16x zoom. so if my understanding is correct on this matter, then you should be able to get the exact same performance from both, the 570 and 590 (assuming all else is equal).

however, since you get the higher resolution with the 590, i assume the sensor is different (newer and/or improved), which should result in a better overall image quality compared to the 570.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement