RAIL Transport - in Newcastle and the North East - Page 44 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old March 3rd, 2013, 02:48 PM   #861
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylett 67 View Post
Well I'd imagine the fastest steam train from London to Newcastle would do the journey in 5 hours, . . . . .
I guess you meant to type '4 hours'! (as in the claim of the Silver Jubilee poster above from 1935).
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2013, 02:55 PM   #862
Aylett 67

Likes (Received): 658

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXNewcastle View Post
I guess you meant to type '4 hours'! (as in the claim of the Silver Jubilee poster above from 1935).
Sorry, mind you that isn't much slower than the Deltic.
Aylett 67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #863
Squipper

Likes (Received): 142

No Booze Allowed On 'Dry Train' Out Of Newcastle After Disorder Complaints

Quote:

Alcohol has been banned on one of Northern Rail's Saturday evening services between Newcastle and Carlisle after complaints from passengers and staff about rowdy behaviour.

British Transport Police is increasing patrols on the 19.24 and 21.18 trains and on the platforms at Newcastle Central Station to supervise the arrival and departure of the Carlisle trains.
The 21.18 service has been designated as a dry train with booze banned on board, and anyone who appears to have drunk too much will be refused travel.
Sergeant Jim Walsh from British Transport Police said: “The majority of issues we are seeing on board highlight alcohol as the main causal factor.
“For this reason alcohol will not be permitted on the 21.18 train between Newcastle and Carlisle, this service is ‘dry’.
"Anyone who is deemed to have consumed too much alcohol or who causes disruption at the station will not be allowed on board.
"Similarly, anyone who is seen drinking alcohol on the train will be reported and removed from the service at the next station.

http://tyneandwear.sky.com/news/arti...der-complaints

Squipper
Royal Air Force
Survival Equipment Fitter
Squipper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #864
Aylett 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squipper View Post
No Booze Allowed On 'Dry Train' Out Of Newcastle After Disorder Complaints

http://tyneandwear.sky.com/news/arti...der-complaints
It makes sense as we have the same problem on later trains out of Carlisle to Whitehaven on Saturdays where teenagers and football fans returning from Brunton Park get too loud and annoy passengers.
Old March 8th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #865
swalli27

Likes (Received): 10

It's about time, I frequently use this service to stocksfeild. It's amazing how people think they can act on trains when slightly intoxicated! Numerous times I've seen the conductor bang on the toilet door because people are smoking or engaging in 'sexual relations' ��

I would take the bus, if only it was a bit quicker. The service during the day is quite pleasurable, bar the rather tired fleet. Their really showing there age, anyone know of any plans for new/newer trains on this service?
swalli27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #866
Manors
Between Manors and Byker

Likes (Received): 19

Think the last train to Carlisle has been dry for a while now.
Manors no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #867
Aylett 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalli27 View Post
It's about time, I frequently use this service to stocksfeild. It's amazing how people think they can act on trains when slightly intoxicated! Numerous times I've seen the conductor bang on the toilet door because people are smoking or engaging in 'sexual relations' ��

I would take the bus, if only it was a bit quicker. The service during the day is quite pleasurable, bar the rather tired fleet. Their really showing there age, anyone know of any plans for new/newer trains on this service?
Can't say I know, unless we hit lucky and get some Transpennine DMUs cascaded at the end of the year when the service from Glasgow to Manchester becomes electric, but surely the Pacers should be axed. These are coming close to outliving the DMUs from the fifties they replaced, but ironically are far less comfortable and just as noisy. I had to travel in one of these on a hot day in the school holidays and the conditions were terrible. These monsters have been withdrawn largely on the Cumbrian Coast Line, but frequently appear on off peak services on the Tyne Valley line. Even a heritage DMU would be more fun than a Pacer.
Old March 9th, 2013, 02:06 AM   #868
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Just checking, but it appears that the interview with the head of Northern Rail on bbc radio newcastle hasnt been mentioned. It was pretty much dominated by complaints about old rolling stock on the tyne valley line but one (positive) interesting point was raised. Following consultation with 'the metro' as he put it, Dunston will now have 30 stops a day, and Blaydon 20. Whether the mention of the metro means tickets will be transferable wasnt mentioned in the first 25 mins (I had to stop listening when i got to work). Due to commence later this year apparently.

Also, no immediate threat of the Blyth/Ashington line reopening, despite Ashington's mayor calling in at one point!
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #869
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 3830

interview with the head of Northern Rail on bbc radio newcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
Just checking, but it appears that the interview with the head of Northern Rail on bbc radio newcastle hasnt been mentioned. It was pretty much dominated by complaints about old rolling stock on the tyne valley line but one (positive) interesting point was raised. Following consultation with 'the metro' as he put it, Dunston will now have 30 stops a day, and Blaydon 20. Whether the mention of the metro means tickets will be transferable wasnt mentioned in the first 25 mins (I had to stop listening when i got to work). Due to commence later this year apparently.

Also, no immediate threat of the Blyth/Ashington line reopening, despite Ashington's mayor calling in at one point!
The link to the programme on Tuesday 05/03/13 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0151l2k

Interview in the last 60 minutes of overall 240 minute programme

At date this post 3 days left to listen

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #870
Aylett 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post

I know the station at Blaydon is badly sited, but three trains a day is ridiculous and I'm sure the train would provide a more attractive alternative to the bus. I live in Whitehaven in Cumbria, which has a similar sized population, and there's an hourly service to Carlisle.
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #871
Station Master

Likes (Received): 59

Central Station is about to have a bit of an upgrade...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-21734489

Source: BBC News
Station Master no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #872
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station Master View Post

This was all initially announced such a long time ago, and then nothing much was heard of it again!

Good news, we seem to now have a start-date.

I wonder if the 'chosen design' is this one, recently posted on here . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmh88 View Post

28th February 2013.

Not sure if this has been posted before, I spotted it weeks ago on Ryder's website in the News section.

"We recently submitted proposals for the redevelopment of the grade I listed building with Miller Construction. The brief from Network Rail involves glazing the portico to accommodate a new travel centre and retail units and reconfiguring the concourse to provide further retail units and to improve access to the platforms. In addition to the base brief we also included a number of options to improve access from Neville Street and from Forth Street to the south."

Source
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #873
cranfan

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station Master View Post

Press release here. Thanks BBC for not linking to it.
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #874
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2060

Images of the proposals, from the above Press release . . .

1 - Portico . .

2 - Concourse . .

Source of Images - http://www.mediacentre.eastcoast.co....ATION-370.aspx

Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #875
minimoog

Likes (Received): 169

No mention of a footbridge link or direct access to Forth St. I notice.
minimoog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #876
PavTaylor

Likes (Received): 0

I want to see some of the ends blocked off! Bloody freezing that station and all this modernisation won't change that unless something happens at the ends!
PavTaylor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #877
Commuto
Planning Officer

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post

1 - Portico . .

2 - Concourse . .

Source of Images - http://www.mediacentre.eastcoast.co....ATION-370.aspx
Very impressive!
Commuto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #878
vx999

Likes (Received): 273

I'd like to see their proposals for how the access to the short term public car park and drop offs outside the station are going to work without causing additional traffic problems on Neville Street.
vx999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #879
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 787

That look much better than the render by Ryder.

Will the quality be of that high standard though? Also I'm not keen on the grey retail boxes, I'm hoping they will be more distinctive that just bland boxes.

On a final note, my bet is on a finish date of November next year instead of the April target date.

Newcastle Metro Area

Last edited by bigchrisfgb; March 11th, 2013 at 07:46 PM.
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #880
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post

1 - Portico . .

Hopefully the rather attractive lights stood on what I always think as canons will remain - not shown in the renders?

Images hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/Central%20Station

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
newcastle, newcastle transport, rail, railways, transport