CBD | Parliament Tower | 125m | 26 fl | T/O - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Nairobi Metro Region

Nairobi Metro Region Projects and construction in the Nairobi Metropolitan Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 3245

CBD | Parliament Tower | 125m | 26 fl | T/O

I posted this here since the details are really sketchy and I didn't want to get everybody's hopes up for nothing.

Quote:
Nairobi — The government plans to put up the tallest building in Africa, a 60-storey tower, in Nairobi.

The building to be constructed in the city's Upper Hill area is estimated to cost the taxpayer Sh24-Sh32 billion.

The estimates were contained in a press release by officials of the National Economic and Social Council, whose two-day meeting at the Kenya School of Monetary Studies ended on Saturday. But the documents were later withdrawn.

According to a statement read by Public Works minister Chris Obure, who chaired the meeting, the construction of the building will demonstrate the country's capacity to deliver on huge projects.

No more details were provided. It is not clear what the building, to be shaped like a shield, will be used for.

Currently, the 38-storey Times Tower is the tallest building in East and Central Africa. At 140m, the building earned the title in May 2000.

Since 1976, the tallest skyscraper in Africa has been Johannesburg's 223m Carlton Centre Tower while the tallest building under construction currently is the 58-floor Chuan Hui International Hotel in Addis Ababa, which is expected to stand at 264 metres.

The National Economic and Social Council was also updated on the Konza Technology City, including the acquisition of the land, completion of various design plans and engagements with potential investors.
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #2
ernestombayo7
Veteran

Likes (Received): 407

I saw it too,i wanted to post it but i figured that this is more of a fantasy project than an actual undertaking.

I really don't believe a 60 floor scraper could cost 24 billion,unless its going to be a very fancy building.

If the government is commited to really building an image boosting/investor confidence scraper,and have 24 billion to spend,then i would propose building 4 glass skyscrapers of 28 floors each side by side in upperhill.This would make a bigger statement and radically change the skyline of upperhill.

Otherwise,a more prudent use of the cash would be to build several elevated highways in Nairobi to eradicate traffic and build investor confidence.
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #3
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 79041

Don't worry, this proposal is worthy of being in the Projects and Construction section.

There would have been a long period of consultation before this project was announced publicly.

We'll see how it plays out.

Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #4
I.M Boring
life liver

Likes (Received): 721

KICC anyone?
I.M Boring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Mintali
Engineer d's art't enjoys

Likes (Received): 2301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenguy View Post
I posted this here since the details are really sketchy and I didn't want to get everybody's hopes up for nothing.
I love this but I think there must be some mistake.......in 2009, me and a few of my fellow Engineering classmates were given the assignment of determining the traffic flow at harambee avenue where the continental house stands.....the major reason was to determine whether it was the right place to construct a skycrapper to house the MPs offices...the building was to replace the continental house (which currently servs that purpose) which had to be demolished. It was to be shaped like a shield when viewed from above.....I had a photo of it and I might post it here... unfortunately, the building was proposed to be only the second tallest in Kenya and East and Central Africa after the Times Tower....I dont kno if am mistaking.......maybe the plan was changed but that is the information I got.
Mintali no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #6
Ivern

Likes (Received): 49

Great project but for sh24b i think they should build a a tower shaped like the map of kenya when viewed from the top and shoud be not less than 320m in height. That will be a landmark to reckon and it will get the message across. i think its time to lobby for such a project.
what do you think guyz?
Ivern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #7
Kenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivern View Post
Great project but for sh24b i think they should build a a tower shaped like the map of kenya when viewed from the top and shoud be not less than 320m in height. That will be a landmark to reckon and it will get the message across. i think its time to lobby for such a project.
what do you think guyz?
I was hoping this project would come from the private sector, not some grandiose government project. Anyway, I think a shield still symbolizes Kenya just as much as the Kenyan map shape would, if not more.
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #8
Kenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M Boring View Post
KICC anyone?
That will still remain Nairobis landmark for generations to come.
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #9
nairoberry

Likes (Received): 1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintali View Post
I love this but I think there must be some mistake.......in 2009, me and a few of my fellow Engineering classmates were given the assignment of determining the traffic flow at harambee avenue where the continental house stands.....the major reason was to determine whether it was the right place to construct a skycrapper to house the MPs offices...the building was to replace the continental house (which currently servs that purpose) which had to be demolished. It was to be shaped like a shield when viewed from above.....I had a photo of it and I might post it here... unfortunately, the building was proposed to be only the second tallest in Kenya and East and Central Africa after the Times Tower....I dont kno if am mistaking.......maybe the plan was changed but that is the information I got.
thanx for the info man. post the pic that u have. we would appreciate that
nairoberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #10
Malaika254

Likes (Received): 306

I also saw it and immediarely regarded it as a potential white elephant, especially coming from the government. The details are too sketchy to say the least.
Malaika254 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:56 AM   #11
Kisumu Ndogo
美国: Rep KE

Likes (Received): 56

Mmmmh.. Iam watching this space.

Last edited by Kisumu Ndogo; March 29th, 2011 at 04:26 AM.
Kisumu Ndogo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:09 AM   #12
musir

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernestombayo7 View Post
I saw it too,i wanted to post it but i figured that this is more of a fantasy project than an actual undertaking.

I really don't believe a 60 floor scraper could cost 24 billion,unless its going to be a very fancy building.

If the government is commited to really building an image boosting/investor confidence scraper,and have 24 billion to spend,then i would propose building 4 glass skyscrapers of 28 floors each side by side in upperhill.This would make a bigger statement and radically change the skyline of upperhill.

Otherwise,a more prudent use of the cash would be to build several elevated highways in Nairobi to eradicate traffic and build investor confidence.
NOT HIGHWAYS IN NAIROBI MY GOOD BROTHER. KENYA IS BIG. KENYA IS NOT JUST NAIROBI. THERE ARE SEVERAL ROADS IN KENYA THAT HAVE REMAINED A PAPER PLAN FOR YEARS. HOW WILL 60 FLOORS HELP THE DYING POOR IN TURKANA AND OTHER RURAL DWELLERS?.THEY SHOULD PRIORITIZE THE DUAL CARRIAGE MOMBASA-MALABA, HOW MANY MILLIONS OF KENYANS ALONG THE WAY WILL FEEL THE POSITIVE IMPACT OF THIS? WONT IT B MORE IDEAL. IF AT ALL ITS A GOVERNMENT PROJECT. I PROPOSE THEY HALT AND DIVERT THIS MONEY TO THIS KEY INFRASTRUCTURE!
musir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:35 PM   #13
I.M Boring
life liver

Likes (Received): 721

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING OVER THE INTERNET?
I.M Boring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:49 PM   #14
Kenguy

Because he's angry...Though I don't see the need to get so worked up on this project.
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:32 AM   #15
ernestombayo7
Veteran

Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by musir View Post
NOT HIGHWAYS IN NAIROBI MY GOOD BROTHER. KENYA IS BIG. KENYA IS NOT JUST NAIROBI. THERE ARE SEVERAL ROADS IN KENYA THAT HAVE REMAINED A PAPER PLAN FOR YEARS. HOW WILL 60 FLOORS HELP THE DYING POOR IN TURKANA AND OTHER RURAL DWELLERS?.THEY SHOULD PRIORITIZE THE DUAL CARRIAGE MOMBASA-MALABA, HOW MANY MILLIONS OF KENYANS ALONG THE WAY WILL FEEL THE POSITIVE IMPACT OF THIS? WONT IT B MORE IDEAL. IF AT ALL ITS A GOVERNMENT PROJECT. I PROPOSE THEY HALT AND DIVERT THIS MONEY TO THIS KEY INFRASTRUCTURE!
First of all 24 Billion is not enough to build a dual carriageway from Mombasa to malaba.

Secondly,Nairobi needs an elevated highway since it has more serious traffic problems than any other city in kenya.Nairobi being the gateway of East Africa needs to lead by example.

But you do not need to write in Capital letters to put your point across.The Kenyan forum here has a culture of tolerance and respect,and people do not shout or scream at others.Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:52 AM   #16
Amboseli Daima

Likes (Received): 868

Quote:

Otherwise,a more prudent use of the cash would be to build several elevated highways in Nairobi to eradicate traffic and build investor confidenc.

GoK should prioritize transportion issues in Nrb before thinking of a scraper.How effective is the scraper for bussiness purposes if access to it is a nightmare.Nrb provides over half of the nation's economic output and that productivity should be as unencumbered as much as possible by choking traffic.It only makes sense that your most productive cow is well fed.
Amboseli Daima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:51 AM   #17
musir

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
First of all 24 Billion is not enough to build a dual carriageway from Mombasa to malaba.

Secondly,Nairobi needs an elevated highway since it has more serious traffic problems than any other city in kenya.Nairobi being the gateway of East Africa needs to lead by example.

But you do not need to write in Capital letters to put your point across.The Kenyan forum here has a culture of tolerance and respect,and people do not shout or scream at others.Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
I did not mean to erupt a volcano bros! If at all a wish to have a dual carriage as stated offended you then I remain disappointed! I only thot we cld have our version of "The Emirates", "SA", "US" etc where all cities are big, well linked and compete? wont this make us proud?

I guess my bitter words are never directed to you but to the gava! we both pay taxes and wish to harvest from it!

Remember we are not at war. We are brothers united to inform and wish the best 4 the entire country!

Together we stand guyz!
musir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:37 PM   #18
abckris

Likes (Received): 2347

National pride is great to have among all of us!! I think the dual carriage way is necessary but since it would be more expensive to build I think we can start with dual carriageways in and out of the big cities like 20 to 50 km long outwards on all directions but still have the huge tower. That tower could also generate lots of income to construction companies, electricians, engineers, plumbers, etc and lots of other people through multiplier effects. So viva to the tallest building in Africa, lets move forward with it!! We need something to identify with in the long run and to feel proud of.
abckris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 04:18 PM   #19
joseeric08

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by abckris View Post
National pride is great to have among all of us!! I think the dual carriage way is necessary but since it would be more expensive to build I think we can start with dual carriageways in and out of the big cities like 20 to 50 km long outwards on all directions but still have the huge tower. That tower could also generate lots of income to construction companies, electricians, engineers, plumbers, etc and lots of other people through multiplier effects. So viva to the tallest building in Africa, lets move forward with it!! We need something to identify with in the long run and to feel proud of.
Agree!Better the money channelled for this skycrapper go there.The rest will have their own allocations.
And it being located at upper hill will be great..it will add more height and beauty.
joseeric08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 04:26 PM   #20
xJamaax

Likes (Received): 2970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amboseli Daima View Post

GoK should prioritize transportion issues in Nrb before thinking of a scraper.How effective is the scraper for bussiness purposes if access to it is a nightmare
.Nrb provides over half of the nation's economic output and that productivity should be as unencumbered as much as possible by choking traffic.It only makes sense that your most productive cow is well fed.
Yes I agree but we need skyscrapers, one of the reason we are in the Skyscrapercity forum.
xJamaax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement