BERLIN | City Palace Reconstruction (Stadtschloss) - "Humboldt-Forum" | U/C - Page 154 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2019, 12:33 AM   #3061
DiogoBaptista

Likes (Received): 12553

DiogoBaptista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2019, 03:05 AM   #3062
tallmark
BANNED

Likes (Received): 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamparam View Post
Even a Holidey Inn must look cooler in such a prime place, but it is not finished yet and this pic shows only a detail, which is probably misleading.
Apparently not. Here is the "finished" product: a cheap Holiday Inn production. You can put a lipstick on a pig, but it will still be a pig

[QUOTE=DiogoBaptista;162560306]
tallmark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2019, 05:03 PM   #3063
Ioannes_

Likes (Received): 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
What's boring are overtly simplified and somewhat uninformed comments about history that have little or no relation to actual historical fact or current goals and agendas. Your emotional position is your choice and I respect that, but framing the devotion to historicism in art and architecture as boring is obviously just a personal whim given that scores of interested, and interesting, people have been discussing this issue with sincerity for many years, and will continue to do so.

Years ago when this debate, I WAS NOT. Your opinion is as cheerful or boring as mine. My answer is to a recent comment. I am a technical architect in Spain and our company has carried out the historical rehabilitation of historic buildings, even more in Andalusia, the birthplace of Baroque in my country. If you are bored by a debate that will last until you place the last photo of the titanium plate of the dome, it is your problem.
Ioannes_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2019, 09:39 AM   #3064
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 1736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
As I mentioned, it's some kind of miracle that this happens in Berlin. Especially Berliners have probably the least civic pride in all of Germany. Most of the donations for the City Palace come from outside of Berlin and Berlin itself only contributes the absolute minimum. The parts of the City Palace and surroundings that Berlin is responsible for we already know will be delayed to 2020 and even past that.
Oh I thought this was a wholly Berlin-funded project, that's interesting. What about the other reconstruction projects in the city?
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 05:30 PM   #3065
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 2397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
Oh I thought this was a wholly Berlin-funded project, that's interesting. What about the other reconstruction projects in the city?
As I understand it, the footprint of the reconstructed Stadtschloss-Humboldt Forum is federal property. The federal government was in control of the rebuilding project, with much support from various entities and populations, but not the city government. In fact, the city generally feels they were ignored. The areas around the palace are city owned and controlled, and parenthetically, as a pseudo middle-finger reaction to what has been done with the Forum against city wishes, the city will never allow things like the Neptune fountain to be replaced into its original location in the SchlossPlatz or the rebuilding of the Kaiser Wilhelm I memorial, for example. Tit for tat, it seems.
Old October 8th, 2019, 01:57 PM   #3066
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 7423

Quote:

Oh, no, as Keepthepast explained, Berlin took part only in a small capacity. Of the about 600 million Ç this entire project cost Berlin contributed around 30 million.
The City Palace/Humboldt Forum is basically a huge present to Berlin from the government and the German people that Berlin didn't really want and only reluctantly accepted.

keepthepast, artObserver liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 12:27 PM   #3067
Mr Bricks

Very intersting. What have the reactions been in Berlin? Is the Palace seen as some kind of notorious Preussian monument?
Old October 11th, 2019, 04:10 AM   #3068
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 6642

Quote:
Very intersting. What have the reactions been in Berlin? Is the Palace seen as some kind of notorious Preussian monument?

To my knowledge, Berlin city is not against the project and Prussia is seen positive. The fact was that Berlin had some years ago a very, very low cash flow.

The federal level or called "Bund", owns the island of museums, or museum island. The collection there was never completed. After the idea for a new building hatched, people came forward with the idea to put a build right next to the museum island. The next idea was to use the traditional fašade. The fašade would be paid for by donation. The BUND liked the idea and it took off.

The modern fašade was a "meeting in the middle"

The inside can be rebuild if the usage allows it. The building has different users inside. However, the donation of the sate of Baden-Wuertenberg to rebuild a big hall inside was declined. I forgot what hall that was. I think the reason to decline was that the hall was in use for a different purpose. But the donation could go to a different hall inside now.

About Berlin: To be fair, I think that the state/province of Berlin gave some money? Yes/No

Mr Bricks, robertwood, Fudgis liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2019, 07:05 AM   #3069
The Eagle

Thank you DiogoBaptista for those perfect pictures!

I am finally back from my vacation and like to show some cool indoor pictures everyone needs to see!
This massive project is seeing lots of finishing touches on the inside!
The following pictures have been made around the 14th, 15th September. That was the 250th birthday of Alexander Humboldt.
The place is named after the multi-talented Humboldt brothers. We will see that Portal II is not finished just jet.
We will also discover that the inside benefits from the fašade reconstruction, too.

So, lets get started. Portal III, lightshow, 14th of September:

The exterior fašade wraps around inside;

This is the inside of Portal II;
Old October 11th, 2019, 07:14 AM   #3070
The Eagle

I hope, the pictures are not to big! I was told it is better this way. More to see, so to speak; lol

Thank you! Pictures are from APH user Spreetunnel! Thank you!
Old October 11th, 2019, 01:37 PM   #3071
Darryl

Likes (Received): 454

Flood lighting that part with purple light doesn't make it any less of a "Holiday Inn". Like someone said before, lipstick on a pig.
Darryl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2019, 02:24 PM   #3072
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
To my knowledge, Berlin city is not against the project and Prussia is seen positive. The fact was that Berlin had some years ago a very, very low cash flow.

About Berlin: To be fair, I think that the state/province of Berlin gave some money? Yes/No
Berlin for many years now is ruled by a red, red, green coalition. These leftist parties, especially the party literally called "The Left", harbours disdain for Prussia and Prussian heritage. They are in general against every historic reconstruction and they for example also recently blocked the reconstruction of the historic colonnades in front of the Palace, where now the hideos Unity Memorial is being build, even though the government granted money for the reconstruction. The government also granted money for the relocation of Neptune Fountain and the Horse Tamers statues to the Palace, but these parties block that as well. They rather not take millions that are granted to them, just because they don't want the Palace or the Palace surroundings to return.

As I already mentioned, Berlin contributes of the over 600 million, that the entire project costs, just 30 million. Government and donators all pay significantly more. Inside the Palace Berlin even got an entire floor for itself, which it frankly doesn't seem to be too keen to even use. They want to use it for some provincial Berlin exhibition, and even that is going to be delayed.

While the government and the people have donated and contributed so much to the City Palace over the years, Berlin has been always very reluctant or outright opposed to it.
Old October 11th, 2019, 05:28 PM   #3073
Mr Bricks

Well maybe the tune will change once this reconstruction becomes a great success.

Is there anywhere I could read more about the politics regarding the palace and its construction etc?
Old October 11th, 2019, 05:55 PM   #3074
MisterDae

Likes (Received): 375

So annoying politics is hampering reconstruction efforts. Is it really going to do any harm to build a fountain and some columns?
Architecture has its political Use; publick Buildings being the Ornament of a Country; it establishes a Nation, draws People and Commerce; makes the People love their native Country, which Passion is the Original of all great Actions in a Common-wealth.... Architecture aims at Eternity
-Christopher Wren
MisterDae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2019, 05:56 PM   #3075
Tiaren

Quote:
Well maybe the tune will change once this reconstruction becomes a great success.

Is there anywhere I could read more about the politics regarding the palace and its construction etc?
I'm certain the City Palace/Humboldt Forum will be a great success. The beautiful architecture as well as the fantastic art collections will draw millions of people to it each year. Early projections are about 3 million a year.
There wasn't a single instance so far in which a reconstruction project was not successful afterwards. Dresden, Potsdam, Frankfurt, all great successes even though the left leaning parties were opposed to it. And they still always are when a new reconstruction project is conceived. They never learn.
Most recently the SPD mayor of Frankfurt had to admit Frankfurt's reconstructed Altstadt was a success and that he now even is a fan of it, even though he actually opposed the project at the beginning. Now he is reaping the benefits of other people's efforts.

About reading up on the politics:
In English there is only the Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Palace

It is unfortunately not very extensive or in-depth though.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2019, 09:49 PM   #3076
The Eagle

Thank you guys!

Let us enjoy smaller pictures from the same event. Also in bright daylight!
This picture was taken from the "Marstall" building for the horses looking to the Schloss. The portal in the picture is Portal No1;

The same portal;

The construction equipment is slowly disappearing. That enables new and fantastic new views!

Here we see a window for the basement. Location is the western side, the second axis coming from south. It will illuminate the so called "museum of this place" where we learn history of this location;

Portal III, going thru the middle;

Inside on the left this door:

Looking south;

Looking north;

And the court;

Pictures from APH member Mantikor! Thank you for them!
Old October 13th, 2019, 10:02 PM   #3077
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 183

Schluterhof Views

Is there any chance of getting a few photos of the Schluterhof area now that they must have finished placing the remaining statues above the decorative columns? I would be interested in seeing how it turned out.
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2019, 01:04 AM   #3078
The Eagle

I have no pictures from the "Schlueterhof", The "Schlueterhof" was closed for the public when the pictures where taken. If I am not mistaken, that "Hof/court" is used for the contractors right now. It will open soon.

Anyhow, we are just beginning:

Apparently, the world`s most expansive hotel lobby!

We go to the second court, the so called "Kleiner Schlosshof"

Thank you Mantikor for them pictures!
Old October 14th, 2019, 01:22 AM   #3079
The Eagle

Let`s have a second and "smaller" look then before at the construction of portal II.

At the distance the inside of portal IV

Event spaces to rent on both sides. This little court will be for the suppliers;

We turn around and see portal II from the inside;

refines delicate baroque;

To unarm critics, with real life damaged parts from the original castle.
Fun fact: Some parts where waiting decades in an forest. All overgrown by the bush;

Pictures from Matikor, thank you!
Old October 15th, 2019, 11:52 PM   #3080
delores

Likes (Received): 822

I still don't think the marriage of the modern structure to the new restored palace feels comfortable. It's as if a communist structure was melded to building because it was bomb damaged.

marshalca, keepthepast liked this post
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella