MARS ONE - Making a Mars settlement a reality! - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Space, Science & Technology

Space, Science & Technology shaping tomorrow's world

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #21
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 72866

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cake On BBQ View Post
I don't get it - is it a vision or will they actually settle a colony on Mars in 2025?
It's a project that worked out a plan how to successfully run a manned one-way mission to Mars.

It got approved interest letters of companies needed for all the technical components.
So only current technology that works will be used - and it approvedly can be used.

The business plan is feasible and already attracted lots of interest of investors, sponsors (both private people and companies), media, scientists and voluntary Mars colonists.

It'll definitely lift off from now on.

For more, check this: Is this really possible?

And also: Frequently Asked Questions

And for the timeline: Mars One Roadmap

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

passat1717, Highcliff, Zaz965 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #22
The Cake On BBQ
Moderatör

Likes (Received): 11215

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post

It's a project that worked out a plan how to successfully run a manned one-way mission to Mars.

It got approved interest letters of companies needed for all the technical components.
So only current technology that works will be used - and it approvedly can be used.

The business plan is feasible and already attracted lots of interest investors, sponsors, scientists and voluntary Mars colonists.

It'll definitely lift off from now on.

For more, check this: Is this really possible?

And also: Frequently Asked Questions

And for the timeline: Mars One Roadmap
Ah, that's über exciting! Hope they get the enough funding as quickly as possible.
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #23
The Cake On BBQ
Moderatör

Likes (Received): 11215

And perhaps they should also create a public pool so that anyone can donate.
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #24
erbse
LIBERTINED

We're working on that.

(I'm involved in the project team.)

Highcliff, Zaz965 liked this post
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #25
k%
Man with the golden Zippo

Likes (Received): 28091

Great idea, humanity should build some colony also on moon.
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #26
JoHaN 15
Requiscat en pace

Likes (Received): 4080

Uber geil!
Fuсk those losers. Fuсk them in their stupid fuсking faces ☆
JoHaN 15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #27
PaulFCB
BANNED

Likes (Received): 263

I'm still waiting for the day someone is going to send a mission to a planet which is not dead. .

Zaz965 liked this post
PaulFCB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #28
sur_les_etoiles

Likes (Received): 8266

hope they achieve it!
Old June 19th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #29
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 6782

Quote:
We're working on that.

That's cool, if you need more people just send me a PM.

And since you're involved, when will the first Mars skyscraper start construction?

But this plans sound serious. I don't believe they will be on Mars in 2023 that's too short I think, but before 2030 would be nice and possible!
Old June 19th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #30
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1795

Quote:
We're working on that.

You are really working for Mars One? I mean do you know people behind this? Do you trust them? I'm asking all these questions because if you would work with (not for) them for me you would be the first connection between this project and real live. I think at least partially I got to know you over years reading your posts, and I think I could believe you if you would say it's not a hoax. Because until now I had just words of some guy that I haven't ever heard of before so I had no means to determine whether this project is for real or not. Of course they don't have to succeed but at least I would know they are really going to try

Up until now I think I made it clear I am quite into this project. I think it sounds reasonable to try doing it this way. Money problem space agencies have to deal with would vanish if the world spectacle would be prepared well. Also one way trip in stages is way less complicated than what nasa proposed for the distant future. But I still have many doubts. For instance, the project is going to be sponsored by commercial advertising. But then the question remains what company will go for this risk? Especially in long term. Mr Bas said in one of the interviews: "imagine astronaut standing on mars holding your beer". That's truly best advertising one could imagine, but what if the astronaut dies next week holding the very same beer in his hand and cameras shows it to the global audience? Imo there can't be ANY guarantee that something goes wrong so who will take the risk? I would love to stay positive but rational thinking turns on. Another one, how can we test if exposure to lower gravity won't destroy health of the astronauts after some time? Sure it's way less hardcore than living in the space station but still it is recorded than several months in space means often years of recovery. What if lower gravity for longer amount of time is even lethal? Another thing which is hard to believe is food production. There was once performed this experiment with huge sealed greenhouse with the participants inside. The goal was for them to live in the closed environment without any interaction with the outside. I think they failed because of the lack of air so the situation here is quite different but the problem still remains how huge such greenhouse would have to be to feed even four astronauts? Maybe it's possible with some modified highly productive species but that still seems to be a problem hard to overcome. Another thing which came to my mind is this of legal nature. I'm not sure about this but is it possible that Mars One can be banned to send people to the mars for the rest of theirs lives? There won't be any way to help them in case of any crisis and any mission in modern history takes support and coming back into account. What if some government consider this as putting lives of theirs citizens at unnecessary risk and won't allow them to go? I think thats another interesting problem.

All in all I'm a supporter of the idea. I'm just not yet convinced it's not an hoax but with the schedule they presented I believe we will find out very soon. In 2013 training program is suppose to start so we will know then if there is anything going on with the project. And I think I will be fully convinced already after four years in 2016 if they really send first cargo to the red planet which will be first really challenging stage showing both that they are getting serious money for the project and that partner companies (like spacex) are working on this as well.

Till then I stay tuned.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Highcliff, Shaddorry, Zaz965 liked this post
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #31
amigo32
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1759

Great.

McDonald's, KFC, malls, live TV broadcast from Earth and WiFi in Mars.
And I'm all set.

Highcliff liked this post
amigo32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #32
eklips

Likes (Received): 5782

A shame that our governments have reduced space exploration projects so much that it is left to corporations to do it, yet under this very limiting element which is "profit" (mankind's greatest achievement and productions generally were not the result of an immediate economic profit).

If this stuff really is true, then it is a sad day where the first Mars settlement will need to be financed through reality TV and not public money (much safer) while so much is spent on military research....

However, I still wish you guys good luck.

EDIT: I'm watching the video.... seriously, this sound like the prologue to some cyber-punk dystopian science fiction story .

Highcliff liked this post
eklips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #33
goschio
mongrel

Likes (Received): 6567

Yo want public money for mars settlement? Better use it to resolve problems here on Earth.

IMO its way too early for Mars settlement. With our current technological standard, the costs of mars settlement are in no relation to the potential benefits.
ARD 5:33
„Die ARD ist der verlängerte Arm des Bürgers.“, „Fernsehen ohne Profitzensur“., „Wir nehmen jeden ernst – auch Deine Oma.“, „Demokratie statt Umsatz.“, „Andere wollen Geldgewinne. Wir wollen Kulturgewinn.“, „Kein Demokratiekapitalismus. Kein Rundfunkkapitalismus. Kein Informationskapitalismus.“, „Exzellenz statt Profitfixierung.“
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 04:18 AM   #34
Disturbing Reality
Noxious

Likes (Received): 413

I wonder how they select "residents/immigrants" to mars.. This is interesting.. I'd like to volunteer!
Old June 20th, 2012, 04:24 AM   #35
goschio
mongrel

Likes (Received): 6567

You know you can't return back to Earth? Colonists will most probably end up killing each other after a year or so.
ARD 5:33
„Die ARD ist der verlängerte Arm des Bürgers.“, „Fernsehen ohne Profitzensur“., „Wir nehmen jeden ernst – auch Deine Oma.“, „Demokratie statt Umsatz.“, „Andere wollen Geldgewinne. Wir wollen Kulturgewinn.“, „Kein Demokratiekapitalismus. Kein Rundfunkkapitalismus. Kein Informationskapitalismus.“, „Exzellenz statt Profitfixierung.“
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 04:38 AM   #36
anakngpasig

Likes (Received): 11698

interesting! may i volunteer too?
anakngpasig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 05:54 AM   #37
aussiescraperman

Likes (Received): 9

id volunteer. i think.
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #38
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5336

Sounds interesting and promising!

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #39
Kiboko
hubba hubba

Likes (Received): 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklips View Post
A shame that our governments have reduced space exploration projects so much that it is left to corporations to do it, yet under this very limiting element which is "profit" (mankind's greatest achievement and productions generally were not the result of an immediate economic profit).
Why is profit a bad thing? If profit is the only argument which gets the exploration of space ongoing, then we should use it. Politics are too weak, because these politicians depend on volatile votes and short term thinking.
Kiboko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #40
erbse
LIBERTINED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbing Reality View Post
I wonder how they select "residents/immigrants" to mars.. This is interesting.. I'd like to volunteer!
All of this should answer your open questions:

Selection and Preparation of the Astronauts (FAQ)

Zaz965 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mars one, space thread