Elon Musk's Hyperloop, what do you think? - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Space, Science & Technology

Space, Science & Technology shaping tomorrow's world

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 13th, 2015, 12:03 AM   #101
will101

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
I don't think it'd be any more dangerous than say airplanes, rather on the contrary.
I don't think it will be dangerous. The problem is with Musk's claims about financing and revenue.
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2015, 01:51 AM   #102
Huti
bitte spiel mir etwas

Likes (Received): 19983

Quote:
Originally Posted by will101 View Post
I'll believe it when I see it.
yeah, same here
Huti está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 08:36 PM   #103
VacaLoca

Likes (Received): 33

Musk should try getting it kickstarted in Qatar or Dubai. Backers of the Burj Dubai would like to boast to the world they have the new transportation method as well. Connect Dubai with Qatar maybe. A lot less politics and regulations to worry about I assume
VacaLoca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2015, 02:30 PM   #104
jcage

Likes (Received): 2

The idea is really great, but is it possible at all?
jcage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2015, 09:46 PM   #105
Ulpia-Serdica

Likes (Received): 7661

CALIFORNIA'S HYPERLOOP JUST INCHED A BIT CLOSER TO REALITY

The Hyperloop, an idea first proposed by serial entrepreneur Elon Musk, might seem like science fiction: A super-fast, self-powered and practically indestructible new form of transportation would be pretty wild. But thanks to a newly formed company called Hyperloop Transportation Technologies (not affiliated with Musk), the idea just inched closer to reality.

The first test track for the Hyperloop is going to be laid in California soon, according to Fortune. The five-mile prototype is expected to cost $100 million and be ready to use by next year. The company just signed off with local landowners so they can get started.

The Hyperloop, a 400-mile transport tube expected to cost $8 billion, will enable a 30-minute commute between Los Angeles and San Francisco. And although Musk is not officially involved in the California prototype, the technology could one day speed up commute times between other cities, such as in Texas, where Musk himself is planning another test track.

Since it was unveiled in 2013, the Hyperloop concept has garnered both excitement and skepticism. An air-propelled futuristic rail line that propels travelers between cities at 800 miles per hour certainly sounds exciting, but some have doubts about the technological feasibility of such a project. Transit authorities in California reportedly balked at the idea, concerned about earthquakes and the fact that such a system would have to span all kinds of terrain and privately owned land.

With today's news, the project inches away from the sci-fi realm and closer to the real world. If successful, the Hyperloop likely wouldn't be fully up and running for another decade. Plenty of time to test it out and work out the kinks.

SOURCE: http://www.fastcompany.com/3046535/t...ser-to-reality

erbse liked this post
Ulpia-Serdica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2015, 09:50 PM   #106
Ulpia-Serdica

Meet the Man Building Elon Musk's 760MPH Hyperloop: Interview with Dirk Ahlborn

Old May 26th, 2015, 04:18 PM   #107
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6214

Quote:
Originally Posted by VacaLoca View Post
Musk should try getting it kickstarted in Qatar or Dubai. Backers of the Burj Dubai would like to boast to the world they have the new transportation method as well. Connect Dubai with Qatar maybe. A lot less politics and regulations to worry about I assume
They are not that stupid
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #108
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpia-Serdica View Post
... If successful, the Hyperloop likely wouldn't be fully up and running for another decade. Plenty of time to test it out and work out the kinks.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 05:04 AM   #109
Ulpia-Serdica

The first images of what the Hyperloop, tubular transportation system of the near future, could look like have surfaced.

The images come courtesy of Hyperloop and UCLA's Hyperloop SUPRASTUDIO, which are together trying to have meaningful and critical discussions about how the transport will shape the future.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...oncept-imagery

Old June 16th, 2015, 04:08 AM   #110
Ulpia-Serdica

Elon Musk has launched a competition to build pods for his futuristic Hyperloop

Old June 17th, 2015, 11:36 AM   #111
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1148

God, I hope they bring it over here to Europe. A 1000 km/h train!

I would love sitting in a coffin for like 3 hours to get from Madrid to Berlin.

I also don't mind not going for a piss for hours.

Shaddorry liked this post
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 12:11 PM   #112
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravinsky View Post
God, I hope they bring it over here to Europe. A 1000 km/h train!

I would love sitting in a coffin for like 3 hours to get from Madrid to Berlin.

I also don't mind not going for a piss for hours.
They can put "water closets" in the capsules and just imagine 1000 km/hr sex. Forget the "mile high club" or whatever.

Shaddorry, 0095914 liked this post
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 09:22 PM   #113
SaigoneseMod

Likes (Received): 648

They'd just need a bigger tube for a full size carriage.
SaigoneseMod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 06:15 PM   #114
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Likes (Received): 707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
...just imagine 1000 km/hr sex. Forget the "mile high club" or whatever...
You're this one guy... hahaha
Shaddorry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 07:25 AM   #115
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 6995

I love this concept but I'm still waiting on the magic technology with which they are going to build this thing. The renders show the tubes to be transparent. That would be great, but what are they going to be built from to resist the forces of moving at 1000mph? Also how are they going to handle the heat, in the California dessert, especially since they are sealed tubes, for them to be partially evacuated. Sealed transparent tubes could easily reach 500C or more. You would be roasted as a turkey by the time you arrive at your destination.

I realize that they have to build a test version first, but I would still like to hear some suggestions on how they plan to make this happen.
Old June 24th, 2015, 12:06 AM   #116
Brasilfuturo

Likes (Received): 12

In a quick answer i would say that i'm not very in the project, but from i had already read about, i see a very good reason to have sealed tubes.
The main reason it's that travelling at 1000 km/h (1300 in the original project) require a lot of energy if you have to fight air resistance.
So the sealed tubes will have very few air inside to avoid heat friction and to require less energy. And with few air inside, even if they are transparent, the sun light will not over heat the air inside these tubes because it will be so few in.
(sorry,i hope you understand what i explained, but english it's not my first language).

Marathaman liked this post
Brasilfuturo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 12:17 AM   #117
AcesHigh
Taking On The World

Likes (Received): 8666

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
I love this concept but I'm still waiting on the magic technology with which they are going to build this thing. The renders show the tubes to be transparent. That would be great, but what are they going to be built from to resist the forces of moving at 1000mph? Also how are they going to handle the heat, in the California dessert, especially since they are sealed tubes, for them to be partially evacuated. Sealed transparent tubes could easily reach 500C or more. You would be roasted as a turkey by the time you arrive at your destination.

I realize that they have to build a test version first, but I would still like to hear some suggestions on how they plan to make this happen.
as I understand, this is almost like a pneumatic tube, so the air moves together... so there will be constant airflow I think. Plus:

1) maybe IN THE DESERT the tubes will not be totally transparent. At 1000 km/h you may have alternate sections... 1 transparent, 2 non transparent... the view would still be like a a cinema, the brain combining the snapshots to create a continuous flow...

2) they may have air circulator systems?
Old September 1st, 2015, 02:31 PM   #118
Ulpia-Serdica

Quote:
Engineering Giant AECOM Will Work On Hyperloop Project

Engineering giant AECOM will lend its services to the realization of Elon Musk’s dream of an immense “Hyperloop” network that could revolutionize long-distance high-speed transit on land, according to recent reports.

Hyperloop-podHyperloop Transportation Technologies (HTT) has announced that it has entered an agreement with AECOM for the contribution of its engineering services to the project in exchange for stock options in the mass transit startup.
https://cleantechnica.com/2015/08/31...rloop-project/
Old September 12th, 2015, 09:03 PM   #119
Manabu

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
as I understand, this is almost like a pneumatic tube, so the air moves together... so there will be constant airflow I think.
Wrong. Please read the whitepaper before commenting. Or at least the wikipedia page about hyperloop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
1) maybe IN THE DESERT the tubes will not be totally transparent. At 1000 km/h you may have alternate sections... 1 transparent, 2 non transparent... the view would still be like a a cinema, the brain combining the snapshots to create a continuous flow...
All proposals that I've seen use aluminium (not transparent aluminium) tubes. The transparent ones in images are just "artistic concepts" or to show the capsule inside the tube.

The idea of alternating transparent and opaque sections is interesting, though the speed of the car will vary a lot during the travel so this ratio will have to be constantly changing.
Manabu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 02:02 PM   #120
Ulpia-Serdica

Introduction to Hyperloop Technologies Inc.

Quote:
Hyperloop Technologies Is Raising $80M, Names Ex-Cisco Pres Rob Lloyd CEO, Emily White As Advisor

Some big moves ahead for Hyperloop Technologies, the LA-based futuristic tubular transportation startup with high ambitions to rethink high-speed transportation services to “work anywhere and live anywhere and be anywhere”. The company has appointed a new CEO — Rob Lloyd, who had been president at Cisco — and also added another familiar name to its list of advisors. Emily While, formerly COO of Snapchat and an ex-Facebook executive, is joining as a board observer.

Lloyd will replace co-founder Brogan BamBrogan as CEO, who will move to the role of CTO.

The additions come at a time of big growth for Hyperloop Technologies: the company says it is on target to build its first test track by late 2016 / early 2017 in its hometown of LA. And to that end, it says it is currently raising $80 million in a Series B round of funding.
http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/16/hyp...te-as-advisor/

Last edited by Ulpia-Serdica; September 18th, 2015 at 02:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement