The Bank | Broad Street | Residential | 33/22fl | 102/68m | U/C - Page 11 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2015, 12:49 PM   #201
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bear View Post
Its reputation attracts people from outside the city and for all the wrong reasons.

Yeah, just like places like Blackpool.
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2015, 10:04 PM   #202
Qoasis777
Social Housing

Likes (Received): 362

Quote:
I think it's the type of people the bars attract, the student drinks promotions, the seedy lapdance club, scutty takeaways, ideal for gangs of pissheads, I'm not a snob but this whole area needs cleaning up and perhaps some regeneration. I agree it has huge potential and shouldn't be closed down but would rather see cafe culture and a reduction in the shit bars. While all these horrid venues exist the appeal for quality investors is low. For a prime location in the city it could be so much better.
Oh well as long as broad street is what you want rather than the tens of thousands that visit each week.

There is a place for broad street people obviously like takeaways and cheap bars.

Lighten up
Qoasis777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 10:26 PM   #203
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoasis777 View Post
Oh well as long as broad street is what you want rather than the tens of thousands that visit each week.

There is a place for broad street people obviously like takeaways and cheap bars.

Lighten up

Yes, just because Tony Bear has more brain cells than the tens of thousands who visit Broad Street each week put together, doesn`t mean his opinion is any more valid.

Oh no. Is the Brasshouse considered to be Broad St? You don`t technically have to set foot on Broad St to go in it though, do you?

Tony Bear liked this post
RalphGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2015, 10:30 PM   #204
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4505

"Greater Broad Street"
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 10:31 PM   #205
ROYAL BLUE

Likes (Received): 1351

The idea that people who go drinking on a night out are of a lower intelligence is both Ignorant and Bigoted.

Get a grip for god sake.

djay liked this post
ROYAL BLUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 10:33 PM   #206
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
"Greater Broad Street"

No, I think Broad Street is too narrow a definition. It needs to be "Greater Westside and Mercia."
Old May 31st, 2015, 10:34 PM   #207
Sandblast

Yep ... sounds good to me!
Old May 31st, 2015, 10:38 PM   #208
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL BLUE View Post
The idea that people who go drinking on a night out are of a lower intelligence is both Ignorant and Bigoted.

Get a grip for god sake.

Very nearly agree with you on that one Royal Blue.

However, if I can just make a slight alteration.

"The idea that people who go drinking on a night out ON BROAD STREET are of a lower intelligence is both insightful and painfully true".

Last edited by RalphGuy; June 1st, 2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old June 1st, 2015, 12:52 PM   #209
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Likes (Received): 823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoasis777 View Post

Lighten up
Yes there is, preferably not in a prime city centre location which is on fulll view to tourists. Walking around there at night creates an extremely poor image for Birmingham. It was never brilliant but over the last two decades has gradually deteriorated into large extremely outdated chain bars serving shit beer, shit food (with one or two exceptions) and hoards of beered up gangs of lads who have helped turn Broad St into one of the worst areas of the West Midlands for crime, pretty sure that's what the stats said last time I checked.

Obviously I am not against cheap bars, but large chains who rake in the cash and contribute very little back into the city other than litter, serving alcoholics with mental health problems (that was my last impression on an early Sat eve in a half empty sports bar), or opening for EDL rallies should be elsewhere. Other cities can do it, a tree lined boulavard with cafes and bars which are family friendly would be much more a tourist attraction and would be a nice extension to Brindley Place. The Arcadian has everything your average Broad Street reveler requires surely?

Sorry but Broad Street may make money for brands like Walkabout, Riza etc but the odd few like Pushkar and Hyatt seem so isolated here. I want Brum to be thought of as a cool, stylish, sophisticated city.. Not somewhere people fall into the gutter or a place where gangs go hunting for people to batter or spew into their waiting taxi. I've witnessed some very grim things on Broad Street and stayed in several hotels over the years there, I've walked through there at night with family and never again.

This is the broad street I recognise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekao4wtGtjY I've seen women egged from passing cars, endless brawls, women in the gutter, illegal taxis, filthy litter, anti social behavior the list goes on.. Every city and town has this but Birmingham needs to rid itself of this place and start again with something more refined. We have Selly Oak student bars and the Arcadian, and to be honest most of Summer Row is in the same cheesy theme apart from Fleet Street Kitchen not to mention endless Wetherspoons. No need for Broad Street grime in this day and age.

RalphGuy liked this post
Tony Bear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 12:57 PM   #210
van heckler

Likes (Received): 734

If the cladding on this turns out like the cladding on the Vale, I'll be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BournvilleBaggie View Post
Progress on The Vale:-

The Vale by Ade, on Flickr

Birmingham, ReissOmari, iamtheSTIG liked this post
van heckler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 01:11 PM   #211
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2697

Quote:
Yes there is, preferably not in a prime city centre location which is on fulll view to tourists. Walking around there at night creates an extremely poor image for Birmingham. It was never brilliant but over the last two decades has gradually deteriorated into large extremely outdated chain bars serving shit beer, shit food (with one or two exceptions) and hoards of beered up gangs of lads who have helped turn Broad St into one of the worst areas of the West Midlands for crime, pretty sure that's what the stats said last time I checked.

Obviously I am not against cheap bars, but large chains who rake in the cash and contribute very little back into the city other than litter, serving alcoholics with mental health problems (that was my last impression on an early Sat eve in a half empty sports bar), or opening for EDL rallies should be elsewhere. Other cities can do it, a tree lined boulavard with cafes and bars which are family friendly would be much more a tourist attraction and would be a nice extension to Brindley Place. The Arcadian has everything your average Broad Street reveler requires surely?
To be fair, there was less crimes reported last month on Broad Street than there were on New Street... Take that how you will.

Also Risa was asked by the police to hold the EDL Rallies. Risa has closed now pending investigation and licence review though for violent last week.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 01:32 PM   #212
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
To be fair, there was less crimes reported last month on Broad Street than there were on New Street... Take that how you will.

Also Risa was asked by the police to hold the EDL Rallies. Risa has closed now pending investigation and licence review though for violent last week.
Obviously I don't have time or inclination to look into this again but last time I checked which was fairly recently over a period of a few months Broad Street was definitely up there with the worst areas of the whole of Brum and I think the month I was looking at it was the worst for violent crime. I'm sure someone can check, doesns't look to great fron this though does it, look at ASB, violent crime and robbery in any one month. http://www.ukcrimestats.com/Neighbou...rtainment_Area

With regards to New Street.. Where do people go after a Broad Street? There are more bars opening up there now but they are not really the type of places you would expect trouble other than... Shakespeare and Trocadero which have really gone down hill. I've been in both and seen them serving gangs of wasted soccer fans to the point where the police have been waiting outside in force. The usual smashed glasses, idiots ruining it for majority of decent football fans but again it's not a good image. It's also very close to New St Station so not much you can do to stop that other than have a ban on groups of soccer fans entering the pubs which is a commercial decision of course.

It's not about stopping people having fun or looking down on someone for their taste in venue, it's more a case of bringing the reputation of the city up and making it more of a family friendly place to be.

Forward19 liked this post
Old June 1st, 2015, 01:33 PM   #213
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

With ragards to Risa, it's no surprise and case in point. Feel sorry for the police who have to deal with all this.
Old June 1st, 2015, 01:34 PM   #214
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

But it's ok cause we have the Walk of Stars.
Old June 1st, 2015, 03:34 PM   #215
Forward19

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Obviously I don't have time or inclination to look into this again but last time I checked which was fairly recently over a period of a few months Broad Street was definitely up there with the worst areas of the whole of Brum and I think the month I was looking at it was the worst for violent crime. I'm sure someone can check, doesns't look to great fron this though does it, look at ASB, violent crime and robbery in any one month. http://www.ukcrimestats.com/Neighbou...rtainment_Area

With regards to New Street.. Where do people go after a Broad Street? There are more bars opening up there now but they are not really the type of places you would expect trouble other than... Shakespeare and Trocadero which have really gone down hill. I've been in both and seen them serving gangs of wasted soccer fans to the point where the police have been waiting outside in force. The usual smashed glasses, idiots ruining it for majority of decent football fans but again it's not a good image. It's also very close to New St Station so not much you can do to stop that other than have a ban on groups of soccer fans entering the pubs which is a commercial decision of course.

It's not about stopping people having fun or looking down on someone for their taste in venue, it's more a case of bringing the reputation of the city up and making it more of a family friendly place to be.
I agree, we don't want to lose the 'fun' under 25 element in the city, but Broad street is a or the premier gateway to the city...Moreover apparently youngsters are turning away from the binge drinking culture that became entrenched in the lad / ladette phenomenon of the 1990's. It's all a little bit old hat now and those bars are having to decrease their margins year on year to keep hold of their clientele as that segment of society ( regular bingers) slowly decreases. The bars will in my opinion hopefully begin to see where the money lies..

Tony Bear liked this post
Forward19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 06:58 PM   #216
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 5131

Broad Street will clean up its act soon. These developments in and around the area will bring bigger more classy establishments, like what you see in London. They will destroy the current stigma surrounding broad Street and the area will become less 'chav' more 'continental'.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 06:29 PM   #217
Forward19

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Broad Street will clean up its act soon. These developments in and around the area will bring bigger more classy establishments, like what you see in London. They will destroy the current stigma surrounding broad Street and the area will become less 'chav' more 'continental'.
I hope you're right, especially with Arena Central coming and centenary square hopefully getting a classy make over too...I agree with Tony B, Broad street is known as the go to place for nightlife in Brum and it does not give the image i personally would like of the city internationally.

yes there are other locations for people to go to at night but let;s face it we don't have the known alternative options of a London or an NYC, so at the moment the overwhelming impression people would get on a visit would be Broad St.
Forward19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 10:29 PM   #218
markmcd1976

Likes (Received): 552

Plenty of alternatives, depending on the type of night you want:
Digbeth
Hockley
Moseley
Colmore Row
Harborne
Chinatown

All infinitely better than Broad Street.
markmcd1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 10:43 PM   #219
KHvillan

Likes (Received): 9

I can remember when broad St was quite upmarket in the late 90s. Stoodis, bakers and key largo. Lines of people trying to get in and strict dress codes. I used to love it. Totally unrecognisable now
KHvillan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 11:46 PM   #220
Sandblast

Yes, Broad Street needs a massive overhaul. Most of the establishments need closing down and a fresh start made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement