Iloilo Monorail - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Railways

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2017, 01:09 PM   #21
[email protected]
Philippine Forum Mod

Likes (Received): 5332

Nothing political since the mayor could have a direct impact to the status of this project or any project within Iloilo. That said, the issue may resolve itself after all assuming this order is carried out...

Ombudsman orders dismissal of Iloilo Mayor Mabilog

Quote:
ILOILO CITY — The Ombudsman has ordered the dismissal from service of Iloilo City Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog after he was found guilty of serious dishonesty in relation to his “unlawful acquisition of wealth.”

The case is in relation to a complaint filed by Iloilo provincial administrator Manuel Mejorada against Mabilog.

"The best solution all over the world, time tested, safe, no pollution, is still the use of the train system." - Ms. Elvira Medina, Nat'l Center for Commuter Safety and Protection
queetz@home no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2017, 01:13 PM   #22
Tokyo/Manila
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3308

basta matuloy lang muna ito... once na maitayo I could careless about the mayor..
Tokyo/Manila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2017, 03:15 PM   #23
pau_p1
Proud to be Filipino

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Nothing political since the mayor could have a direct impact to the status of this project or any project within Iloilo. That said, the issue may resolve itself after all assuming this order is carried out...

Ombudsman orders dismissal of Iloilo Mayor Mabilog

Same thought I had with Mabilog in the hot list... but since the Ombudsman has removed him already, the Vice Mayor will eventually take over as Mayor, not sure Mabilog can still file for reconsideration...

I just hope the Vice Mayor is supportive of this type infrastructure... or else this may also go on limbo... i hope not...
pau_p1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2017, 05:36 AM   #24
Transporter89
Infrastructures/Cities

Likes (Received): 1102

Yan na isusunod ni Duterte na papatayin. Si Mabilog.

Bulabugin natin ang gobyerno! Huwag tayong titigil hangga't hindi ito bumibili ng karagdagang tren at kumukuha ng magagaling at matitinong railway managers. Dikdikin natin ang gobyerno para diinan din nito ang mga negosyanteng nanlalamang sa kontrata at serbisyo.
Transporter89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #25
Obobru
Proud Citizen

Likes (Received): 965

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayQ View Post
They say the monorail is 1/5th of the cost of a metro rail.

This monorail is around 20km around the same length as the ongoing MRT7. The latter cost 60 billion php. That would make the monorail around 12 billion php, if it's 1/5th. Not sure if Iloilo can afford it since their city's budget is only around 2 billion php. Maybe it's part of China's loan initiative. Idk. Still i support this.
No they say it costs 1/5 of a subway which is extremely expensive. Monorails are a great form of transport as they are fairly smooth and quiet but they are expensive! That's one of the reasons they haven't been adopted on a massive scale unlike light rail which can run at ground and elevated levels you have the issue of building all stations at high level even in areas where it makes no sense to do so because of land availability. In the US in about 50 years you still only see these in Seattle a city that never expanded the system, Disney World which never expanded it, Disneyland which is tiny and not public transport, and Vegas who only built a small line and also want expand it by 1.14 miles at a cost of around $100m
Obobru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 10:27 PM   #26
s_w_stars

Likes (Received): 4852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obobru View Post
No they say it costs 1/5 of a subway which is extremely expensive. Monorails are a great form of transport as they are fairly smooth and quiet but they are expensive! That's one of the reasons they haven't been adopted on a massive scale unlike light rail which can run at ground and elevated levels you have the issue of building all stations at high level even in areas where it makes no sense to do so because of land availability. In the US in about 50 years you still only see these in Seattle a city that never expanded the system, Disney World which never expanded it, Disneyland which is tiny and not public transport, and Vegas who only built a small line and also want expand it by 1.14 miles at a cost of around $100m
Tokyo monorail system I'm sure will be around in 50 years time.

http://www.tokyo-monorail.co.jp/english/guidance/

While I think BRT or Skytrain may cost less than monorail, it will still be lesser than a subway. If there are investor groups willing to fund at a low cost monorail system in Iloilo or Cebu I'm all for it. As it is now, the gov't through the eminence of Sec Tugade and his team are building a subway in a funny alignment, skipping the hoi polloi and densest part of the city with the highest potential ridership for $8b to please the Ayala group. And to top that, they are building this "unified grand central station", 4x more than original cost again to please the Ayala. Time to spend money on the people, I mean ordinary people in Cebu or Iloilo. Disney, Vegas, are basically for tourists, and Seattle is same, and it's past its sell by date (1960s era monorail.)
Old October 31st, 2017, 03:53 PM   #27
Obobru
Proud Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_w_stars View Post
Tokyo monorail system I'm sure will be around in 50 years time.

http://www.tokyo-monorail.co.jp/english/guidance/

While I think BRT or Skytrain may cost less than monorail, it will still be lesser than a subway. If there are investor groups willing to fund at a low cost monorail system in Iloilo or Cebu I'm all for it. As it is now, the gov't through the eminence of Sec Tugade and his team are building a subway in a funny alignment, skipping the hoi polloi and densest part of the city with the highest potential ridership for $8b to please the Ayala group. And to top that, they are building this "unified grand central station", 4x more than original cost again to please the Ayala. Time to spend money on the people, I mean ordinary people in Cebu or Iloilo. Disney, Vegas, are basically for tourists, and Seattle is same, and it's past its sell by date (1960s era monorail.)
The Tokyo system was also from the same time period as Disneyland and Seattle the 60's and like all other schemes it was full of issues with cost overruns and eventully being cut short.

I would rather see an at-grade and raised where necessary light rail system as the costs will be massively cheaper. Building a monorail will create decades of a debt to china which is exactly where they want countries to be. It makes no sense to build vanity projects when what is needed is cost affective solutions which can opperate and service debt with realistic fares.
Old October 31st, 2017, 04:08 PM   #28
RayQ
Confirmed User

Likes (Received): 1932

At the rate this is going, we wont be having any rail outside manila for centuries to come, and by that time the planet is already dead
RayQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 04:48 PM   #29
s_w_stars

Quote:
The Tokyo system was also from the same time period as Disneyland and Seattle the 60's and like all other schemes it was full of issues with cost overruns and eventully being cut short.

I would rather see an at-grade and raised where necessary light rail system as the costs will be massively cheaper. Building a monorail will create decades of a debt to china which is exactly where they want countries to be. It makes no sense to build vanity projects when what is needed is cost affective solutions which can opperate and service debt with realistic fares.
The Tokyo monorails are still running and they're building new lines, upgading coaches. But that's not the point.

In the PH, we cannot expect REALISTIC fares. It will have to be subsidized by the gov't. Line 7 will be heavily subsidized because the route catchment is rather thin (it's a very long line too). The metro manila subway avoids the densest area. In many countries, public transit is subsidized. NYC has higher subsidy than Toronto. But neither city are willing to give up their public transit or pay more.

Again, I'd much rather the gov't spend/invests on people's mobility on the profitability of certain developers.
Old October 31st, 2017, 05:04 PM   #30
Obobru
Proud Citizen

Quote:
The Tokyo monorails are still running and they're building new lines, upgading coaches. But that's not the point.

In the PH, we cannot expect REALISTIC fares. It will have to be subsidized by the gov't. Line 7 will be heavily subsidized because the route catchment is rather thin (it's a very long line too). The metro manila subway avoids the densest area. In many countries, public transit is subsidized. NYC has higher subsidy than Toronto. But neither city are willing to give up their public transit or pay more.

Again, I'd much rather the gov't spend/invests on people's mobility on the profitability of certain developers.
Tokyo isn't building any new lines and never finished off the one they started 50+ years ago as it was supposed to run to Tokyo station. They are building a small extension to finally complete that from Hamamatsucho to Tokyo main line station which will take 10 years to build 3KM! Yes 10 years! The project is expected to cost ¥109·5bn

As for realistic fares, they need to be cheap enough to ensure high usage but not too low that the subsidy leaves the government with a huge contribution which isn't viable and fares not so high that the government end up having to bail it out completely. A monorail's construction cost will fail on these points because the initial construction cost will be so high that the debt will be unserviceable hence why as much as I love monorails and always take the opportunity to ride on when I am nearby a place with one they are totally the wrong solution for the Philippines and both Cebu and Iloilo would be better suited to light rail in the city.
Old October 31st, 2017, 11:33 PM   #31
s_w_stars

Quote:
Tokyo isn't building any new lines and never finished off the one they started 50+ years ago as it was supposed to run to Tokyo station. They are building a small extension to finally complete that from Hamamatsucho to Tokyo main line station which will take 10 years to build 3KM! Yes 10 years! The project is expected to cost ¥109·5bn

As for realistic fares, they need to be cheap enough to ensure high usage but not too low that the subsidy leaves the government with a huge contribution which isn't viable and fares not so high that the government end up having to bail it out completely. A monorail's construction cost will fail on these points because the initial construction cost will be so high that the debt will be unserviceable hence why as much as I love monorails and always take the opportunity to ride on when I am nearby a place with one they are totally the wrong solution for the Philippines and both Cebu and Iloilo would be better suited to light rail in the city.
We cannot compare the PH to Japan, and other countries. At this stage of development, whether Skytrain, LRT, Monorail, PH gov't will have take the pain until things get better economically. Putting in investments into this type of infrastructure doesn't guarantee quick returns, but it will generate revenues in other forms. (multiplier effect.) PH now has the luxury of borrowing at a low carrying cost since independence. So build the right infrastructure with the economic impact.

Again, if a group is willing to undertake the risk, with low borrowing cost, and they want a monorail, I don't have any problem with that even subsidized by the gov't (incl the infamous MRT 3).
Old November 1st, 2017, 03:08 AM   #32
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1613

Quote:

Maglakad ka na lang boss.
diz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 07:05 PM   #33
zeidderf

Likes (Received): 97

Doon na siguro ako sa mas mura muna. This could have a big impact in our city's economy. Kahit isang linya lng muna. From airport to city proper is already a good route I may say.
zeidderf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 07:09 PM   #34
zeidderf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pau_p1 View Post
Wow this is great news for Iloilo... I guess since Iloilo still have lower population this monorail system will suffice for them...

Gusto ko rin matuloy.. medyo hilaw pa nga pero this mans something sa mga Ilonggo if matuloy. The entire provibce and city has a more or less 2.5 million population.
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:30 PM   #35
s_w_stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeidderf View Post
Gusto ko rin matuloy.. medyo hilaw pa nga pero this mans something sa mga Ilonggo if matuloy. The entire provibce and city has a more or less 2.5 million population.
Iloilo city has 78 sq km/445,000 pop; Metro Iloilo has 1105 sq km (double the size of Metro Manila), 946 sq km. Iloilo needs something, BRT, Skytrain, Monorail, tramways esp if a private entity is willing to put the investment there.
Old November 15th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #36
zeidderf

Quote:
Iloilo city has 78 sq km/445,000 pop; Metro Iloilo has 1105 sq km (double the size of Metro Manila), 946 sq km. Iloilo needs something, BRT, Skytrain, Monorail, tramways esp if a private entity is willing to put the investment there.
oo nga gustong gusto ko talga lalo na't mainit din lalo na during day time. Metro Iloilo really has increased the population Oton, Pavia & Sta. Barbara.

Kahit isang line lng muna.. From City proper - Diversion Area - Pavia to Sta Barbara (sa airport Banda).
Old November 16th, 2017, 04:43 PM   #37
s_w_stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeidderf View Post
oo nga gustong gusto ko talga lalo na't mainit din lalo na during day time. Metro Iloilo really has increased the population Oton, Pavia & Sta. Barbara.

Kahit isang line lng muna.. From City proper - Diversion Area - Pavia to Sta Barbara (sa airport Banda).
NB. Metro Iloilo has 946,000 pop not sq km. My bad. That's almost a million. It needs mass transit of some kind and the area is bigger than metro manila in area.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 12:28 AM   #38
nelo--

Likes (Received): 602

if Iloilo is that big, can't a street tram suffice??

Obobru liked this post
nelo-- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 02:55 AM   #39
s_w_stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelo-- View Post
if Iloilo is that big, can't a street tram suffice??
Trams (light rail at grade not elevated like MRT 3) or BRT system with fully dedicated ROW or busway are also very viable for Iloilo. Btw., the plan I read a few years back for the revival of the Panay Railway included Sta. Barbara. That could be in the transportation mix as well. In that proposal, a normal metro rail between Iloilo and Roxas (110) would be like a little over an hour by metro rail. They have to start thinking now for the next 20-30 years, not wait until then.
Old January 24th, 2018, 03:06 AM   #40
Ping Gan

Likes (Received): 47

Chinese investor finds monorail feasible in Iloilo City

ILOILO CITY — Iloilo City is capable of hosting a monorail project according to a pre-feasibility study conducted by the BYD Auto Co. Inc., an automaker and new energy technology based in China.

Ritchel Gavan, head of the Iloilo City Local Economic Investment and Promotions Office (LEIPO), said the Chinese firm first visited this city last June.

A memorandum of understanding (MOU) and non-disclosure agreement for the conduct of the pre-feasibility study (FS) was held in October, and they came back with the result on January 15.

“Based on the data, it is really feasible that they put up a monorail system in the city,” she said.

http://ptvnews.ph/chinese-investor-f...e-iloilo-city/
Ping Gan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement