Jewellery Quarter - Page 57 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 30th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #1121
Soul_13
Advocatus Diaboli

Likes (Received): 153

Nimbys taking over jewellery quarter.....baaad idea
Soul_13 no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #1122
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2172

Hope I'm wrong but I think we may be looking at a lot of empty and derelict buildings for a lot longer with this move.
nigeman no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #1123
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 779

NIMBY's taking over the Jewellery Quarter... didn't see that coming.. baaaad idea!

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2013, 02:39 AM   #1124
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

How do you figure that? The article talks about developing the jewellery quarter not stopping things?
Old March 31st, 2013, 07:19 AM   #1125
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2701

Neighbourhood plans cannot stop development and need to accord with the cities Development Plan. It or any other means other that committee cannot be used to prevent development and growth if the council's own development plan states an area is to grow.

15mins CPD for you all.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2013, 07:21 AM   #1126
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 271

These plans have to be drawn up within the parameters of the National Planning Policy Framework as well as the city's Core Strategy, and neither of those really allow for protectionism. If anything, a lot of residents and businesses may find themselves feeling let down by how little scope there is for them to become NIMBYs.

All the Neighbourhood Plans do is give residents a greater input in how they think their area should be shaped over the next few years and play an active role in its management. They won't have the final word on proposals, merely a stronger voice.

This could well be revolutionary but I don't think it'll turn the planning system on it's head... at least not yet...
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2013, 07:22 AM   #1127
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 271

Aha, I see fellow nighthawk djay has said the same thing.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2013, 01:23 PM   #1128
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 2015

Incredible! Biosonic and Erebus posting again! Good to have you back.

I hope the JQ has the right balance for development and proposals in the future
Old March 31st, 2013, 07:37 PM   #1129
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

I lurk MSP but busy so not much time to post. FWIW I think the noises being made from the JQ are interesting and will push it in the right direction. Digbeth could do the same.
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:40 PM   #1130
KHvillan

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
These plans have to be drawn up within the parameters of the National Planning Policy Framework as well as the city's Core Strategy, and neither of those really allow for protectionism. If anything, a lot of residents and businesses may find themselves feeling let down by how little scope there is for them to become NIMBYs.

All the Neighbourhood Plans do is give residents a greater input in how they think their area should be shaped over the next few years and play an active role in its management. They won't have the final word on proposals, merely a stronger voice.

This could well be revolutionary but I don't think it'll turn the planning system on it's head... at least not yet...
What it will do is give the local area (ward?) 25% of CIL payments raised in the area for them to spend as they wish, as long as in accordance with the plan. Could be interesting for the much needed community infrastructure. This legislation is likely to be brought into force in the next few months and has been termed the "Boles Bung"
KHvillan no está en línea  
Old April 1st, 2013, 07:15 PM   #1131
super1duper
Michael

Likes (Received): 149

[IMG]http://i50.************/nyhxz.jpg[/IMG]
super1duper no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:41 PM   #1132
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 779

I love these building so much... Can't believe this street is not part of the Big City Plan.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:49 PM   #1133
Nacho

Likes (Received): 291

A great building as are the others on the same side .Hopefully, the developments opposite will lead to a more secure future for the buildings on this side of the Street.Typhoon,I believe these buildings come under the St Chads/St Georges área of The Big City Plan.
Nacho no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2013, 05:01 PM   #1134
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 2015

That building has been ruined with the more modern top floor though. I'd rather there was a glass atrium put in place, all windows replaced and the shrubs removed to make it a real nice wedge block.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:36 PM   #1135
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3691

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
That building has been ruined with the more modern top floor though. I'd rather there was a glass atrium put in place, all windows replaced and the shrubs removed to make it a real nice wedge block.
Agreed! Would love to see this building and its neighbours given a facelift. Something like the crocodile works in newtown!!
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #1136
brum2003

Likes (Received): 258

This area is scandalously run down - but sadly there is little incentive to invest with some of the other uses around there. It's quite an intimidating place even in the day with a hardcore of alcoholics from the plethora of hostels around there using the back of St.Chads as a open air toilet and bar
brum2003 no está en línea  
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #1137
mikey23

Likes (Received): 126

http://www.jewelleryquarter.net/2013...-this-weekend/

Quote:
ADVANCED WORKS PLANNED FOR THIS WEEKEND
04/04/2013

Trees outside The Big Peg in the Jewellery Quarter will be cut down this weekend as part of advanced works needed to prepare for the new Golden Square development.
The works will be carried out on Sunday to minimise disruption to businesses surrounding the site.
The trees will be replaced with a similar number of mixed species as part of the plans for the Golden Square, which is due on site shortly.
Golden Square is the flagship project in the city council’s Big City Plan initiatives programme, providing a focal point for the Quarter and space for events, exhibitions and for simply relaxing.
More information on the progress of the development will be posted here soon.
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:35 AM   #1138
feltip

Likes (Received): 510

Good news. It seems so long ago since the design was chosen.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea  
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #1139
lbrown

Likes (Received): 64

I'd save any excitement until the contractors start real works, we been promised this one for 2 years now. Hopefully when they pull the trees out on Sunday they get to work on Monday.
lbrown no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #1140
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 546

We've been promised this for 4 years to be precise. This was first proposed in 2008 for construction in 2009

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread