20 Fenchurch Street | City of London | 160m | 36 fl - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Completed projects Completed buildings and structures in London

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:28 PM   #81
Manuel

Likes (Received): 33

I'm waiting for Goth renderings then. First thought...- oh my, what the hell is this?-
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:30 PM   #82
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 14454

yes, its friday and i got up late because i was working all last night , so we might have to wait until monday! lol.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:35 PM   #83
Medo

Likes (Received): 546

oh come on!! dont be a lazy ass
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:36 PM   #84
hellolazyness

Likes (Received): 114

Nooooo

My first impressions are that it is butt ugly, but I want to see the other side. It lacks elegance as someone said earlier. Bit early to tell though really.
hellolazyness no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:45 PM   #85
jorgen
Viking

Likes (Received): 5

Imagine standing at the base of this scraper and look up at the outwards leaning top
jorgen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:45 PM   #86
potto

Likes (Received): 12228

Yeah i was err surprised how large and bulky it looked from the renders, it seems to respond to the cluster from the distant shot with the curve of ti s profile but im assuming the gap is going to be filled in with stuff, so yeah this will have quite an impact, with all the shit along the river front at this point you either build something like this to re-address the balance or you remove the shit and replace it with smaller units... it looks like the City has chosen the first route!
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:56 PM   #87
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by bileduct
Another pic...

[IMG]http://i2.************/qnmicn.jpg[/IMG]
Aww. Bishopsgate, Swiss Re, Minerva look like bullies with the Leadenhall building as the gang leader on the play ground, and 20 Frenchfurt looks like it's just had it's lunch money stolen or something.

I don't think it's as bad as some people think, but it could be ALOT better. I think it will be changed and hopefully we can see an 08 start. I'm willing to sacrafice a year of construction for a better design.
Newcastle Guy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:02 PM   #88
Jake_the_Peg

Likes (Received): 1

This big curved reflective surface faces South. I wonder where the focal point is, as we wouldn't want too many people's retinas fried.
Personally, I much prefer this to 122 Leadenhall. The clean lines are great, nice sweeping curves, but... it's going to be Fosterized?
Is the North side flat green glass?
Jake_the_Peg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:21 PM   #89
Dan1987

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle kid
Aww. Bishopsgate, Swiss Re, Minerva look like bullies with the Leadenhall building as the gang leader on the play ground, and 20 Frenchfurt looks like it's just had it's lunch money stolen or something.

Looks more like Bishopsgate, Leadenhall and Minerva are having a gangbang with 30 St Mary's Axe
Dan1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:21 PM   #90
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform
yes, its friday and i got up late because i was working all last night , so we might have to wait until monday! lol.
You evvvvvil man
Newcastle Guy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:22 PM   #91
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 10611

Another building with an obvious front and back. The southern front directly faces LBT. Anyone in the Shangri-La Hotel will be fried if the sun points in the right direction.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:54 PM   #92
gothicform
Bossman

lol... had i not gone to bed so late the email wouldnt have been fixed and id have never gotten the chance to email to ask. annoying.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:59 PM   #93
DarJoLe

I guess that's also the new height for Bishopsgate - I guess they've fattened it and taken a few floors out of the spiral.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:31 PM   #94
gothicform
Bossman

"A planning application has been filed today for the new tower to stand on 20 Fenchurch Street designed by Rafael Vinoly. The 192 metre tall tower to replace a current sixties mid-rise will contain 45 floors of space and is being developed by Land Securities.
The appearance is roughly that of a traditional internationalist block that has been contracted to the centre creating an inwards curving southern face and curving crown that also slopes to the south deferring itself to the Thames. Thanks to the look it's already being dubbed "the walkie talkie".
The project is being developed by one of the U.Ks largest property businesses, Land Securities at a cost of £200 million with Foster and Partners also onboard to help keep these down whilst maintaining build quality and the unique design.
The advantage of this to letting an office building is unlike the Leadenhall Building the largest floorplates are nearer the top of the building than the bottom not only providing great views for clients but maximising rental take.
It will contain 78,932 square metres of office space plus 1,114 sq m of retail. One of the highlights of the scheme is a four floor tall skyroom on the 40th floor designed to hold public events containing a whopping 3.943 sq m of function space with access to an outside roof terrace, the tallest external one in London.
The footprint of the new design will be substantially smaller than the size of the podium of the current building freeing up land for a park to be created to the south of it of approximately 1,000 sq m.
The building has already been endorsed by local council, the Corporation of London, with Peter Rees stating that the City is adopting a "fruit basket" approach, whilst there are few murmurs of opposition from Heritage Bodies. It may not be the most graceful building ever thanks to the apparent squatness but the unique design will certainly help the City achieve their aim of a mix of avant-garde architecture.
Land Securities hope to secure an easy ride through the planning system and construction could begin on site as early as 2007 with completion for 2010 although a pre-let may be required to see the project commence despite the increasingly bullish attitude from the likes of Heron and British Land."
Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:37 PM   #95
DarJoLe

A fruit basket only looks good when it's fresh.

That's all I'm saying.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:39 PM   #96
Cat man do
Founder of the 'Gy'.

Likes (Received): 908

Looks more like an electric razor. Hang on - don't we already have one of them in the pipeline? What with a ***** and a cheese grater London's becoming quite the kitchen and bathroom.
Cat man do no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:44 PM   #97
Cat man do
Founder of the 'Gy'.

Likes (Received): 908

Looks more like an electric razor. Hang on - don't we already have one of them in the pipeline? What with a ***** and a cheese grater London's becoming quite the kitchen and bathroom.
Cat man do no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:53 PM   #98
GazKinz

Likes (Received): 100

I would like to see more rendering, but my intial thoughts are that its ulgy, bulky and unelegant. It kinda looks like a warped version of a international style skyscraper circa 1970, why oh why didn't this 'internationalism' style die with the 70s? I wish we could get something not too wacky on this site, with some nice setbacks and a spire. I hope EH force a redesgn, what have CABE had to say?
GazKinz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:55 PM   #99
jef

Likes (Received): 5

I have already booked a date for my next private party in the Skyroom. You are all welcome of course ... puzzled about the link between the curves of the facades and the medieval streets that bound the site!
http://www.landsecurities.com/websit...t%20030306.pdf
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 08:05 PM   #100
London_2006

Likes (Received): 56

If it's going to look like a block of metal buckling and melting in the heat, then it will look horrible. Why can't developers build a nice normal straight-edged or tapering skyscraper? Any skyscraper with an overhang looks like a mess. Beetham in Manchester looks horrible, the proposed Beetham in London looks depressing, but this is just in a new dimension.
London_2006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
beam, eastcheap, fenchurch, london, scorchie, street, sun, talkie, walkie