Kidbrooke Village £1bn regeneration | Greenwich | U/C - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything going up in London right now

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 18th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #81
london lad

Likes (Received): 3704

Was this built in 1974 or the late 60's as English Partnerships say 1974?
Generally build quality for council estates were a lot higher than in the immediate postwar period of the 50's & early 60's.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #82
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 79131

It was constructed between 1967-1972.

This was written by a student of the architects who designed the Ferrier Estate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iqbal Aalam
Posted here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/iqbalaalam/2614575877/

It saddens me to write the first chapter of this mostly visual obituary of a failed scheme now facing demolition. I feel honour bound to say some words to defend some very hardworking architects, with whom I had the honour to work with as a young student. These people, most of them no longer with us, were hard working, sincere and conscientious and gave their best to a scheme they seriously believed would house generations of happy and satisfied residents.
The subject of disastrous housing schemes of this period has been endlessly discussed and dissected by some very able writers and critics and I don’t feel this is right place to repeat various views which are already well known.
However, I would like to address a few words to Flickr viewers who often write vitriolic comments about this and similar estates, when they see some sad and depressing photographs of these decaying estates facing demolition and immediately start attacking ‘Planners and Architects’ for committing these atrocities against the human race.
Again, this is an understandable first reaction and with the benefit of the hindsight it is easy to say and admit that some very serious mistakes were made in the housing development of this period.
If you were living in the middle of ‘Jerusalem’ when it was being built and the new, spacious houses were being occupied by happy people delighted by these new estates, you would have found it difficult to believe that in not so distant a future such a sad outcome could have been remotely possible.
All I would like to say here is that there are a huge number of factors which influenced the outcome of these large housing schemes, a very dubious concept in its own right. The factors like political and social environment at the time of inception and occupation, financial controls with ‘sticks’ and ‘carrots’, the importance of choosing the appropriate residents, day to day management and maintenance, sufficient finances for maintaining and if necessary, eliminating the ‘failure’ as they become apparent and encouraging residents to actively take over the management of their own environments, were hardly understood by most of the bureaucracies involved in the whole process.
The examples exist of identical or near identical schemes where one has turned out to be a winner in most respects and the ‘identical twin’ had to be demolished because it was considered to be a complete failure and intensely hated by the occupants.
It would be nice to think that some understanding of these issues is available and grasped before ‘off the cuff’ insults are scattered at only one or two parties concerned.
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #83
SE9
South East Nine

Kidbrooke Regeneration Begins
http://www.greenwich.co.uk/news/1892...ration-begins/
15 September 2009

From left to right: Tom Dacey (Southern Housing Group), Sir Bob Kerslake (Homes and Communities Agency), Tony Pidgley (Berkeley Homes), Cllr Chris Roberts (Greenwich Council)

Quote:
Yesterday saw the ground breaking ceremony for the huge regeneration project taking place in Kidbrooke.

Chris Roberts, Leader of Greenwich Council, joined Sir Bob Kerslake, Chief Executive of the Homes and Communities Agency, Tom Dacey, Chief Executive of Southern Housing Group, and Tony Pidgley, Chairman of The Berkeley Group at the former Ferrier Estate for the official start of the project.

The first phase of the project, boosted by a £30million cash injection from the HCA, will deliver 449 houses and apartments with the first residents expected to move in next year. Of the first 449 properties, 220 are for private sale and 229 will be affordable homes. When completed, the regeneration will have created 4,000 new mixed-tenure homes in total.

Cllr Chris Roberts, Leader of Greenwich Council, said: “It’s excellent to see the progress that’s being made in building the first homes of the new Kidbrooke development. This is an exciting moment for the Council, and for local residents, who have given consistent backing to the Council’s vision for transforming the area, creating a better environment and improving the quality of life.”

David Lunts, London Regional Director of the Homes and Communities Agency said: “Kidbrooke is exactly the kind of transformational project that the HCA was established to support and is a scheme which is at the heart of the HCA’s commitment to supporting regeneration in London. The partnership will be working to transform the estate into a vibrant neighbourhood with new affordable homes, fantastic parks and open space, a new community building and improved travel links.”
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #84
SE9
South East Nine

Today

Old October 9th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #85
SE9
South East Nine

Coinford bags groundworks job on £1bn Kidbrooke scheme
6 October 2009
http://www.building.co.uk/story.asp?...de=3150352&c=0

Quote:
By Emily Wright

Contractor wins work for Berkeley Homes regeneration project in south-east London

Surrey-based contractor Coinford Construction has been awarded the groundworks and road package for Berkeley Homes on the £1bn Kidbrooke regeneration scheme in London.

The regeneration scheme is to be delivered by Berkeley Homes which is working with Greenwich Council, the Homes and Communities Agency and Southern Housing Group.

The project that will take around 20 years to reach completion and will deliver some 4,000 private and affordable homes, a 100 acre public park, a health centre, community facilities and shops, plus improved and accessible public transport.
Old November 8th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #86
SE9
South East Nine

Phase 1

The floor slabs for sections of Phase 1 are currently being laid:

[IMG]http://i36.************/34evnsg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i34.************/2inara.jpg[/IMG]
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:00 AM   #87
SE9
South East Nine

Models

This is a model of Phase One, which is under construction in the photos posted above:

image hosted on flickr

Plus a model of the whole site. The far extremities (Phase One and Phase Two) have been designed in detail. The middle of the masterplan is yet to have its design finalised:

image hosted on flickr

A cutaway of a unit:

image hosted on flickr
Old November 24th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #88
SE9
South East Nine

Detailed plans for Phase 2 (Blackheath Quarter) have been submitted to Greenwich council

Phase 2
Blackheath Quarter SE3
Greenwich
http://onlineplanning.greenwich.gov....ystemkey=62518

Autumn 2008: Submission of the Outline Masterplan planning application and detailed design of Phase One, Eltham Green.

Spring 2009: Detailed plans for Phase One approved by Greenwich Council.

Spring 2009: Phase One starts on site.

Autumn 2009: Detailed plans for Phase Two submitted to Greenwich Council.

Summer 2010: Delivery of first homes in Phase One.

Summer 2012: Estimated completion of Phase One.

Kidbrooke Regeneration map

[img]http://i41.************/711pgi.jpg[/img]

Phase 2 Images

Last edited by SE9; November 24th, 2009 at 09:02 PM.
SE9 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #89
Horizon911

Likes (Received): 15

The new plans are certainly better than the original ones, at least the towers have gone. But are there seriously going to be 3 storey town houses in the middle of this development? Who exactly is going to live in the town houses? I presume they will be private dwellings, so who would want to live in the middle of a major estate such as this...? Kensington it's not.

I go back to a comment that I made earlier in this thread, people need houses with their own private gardens. The amount of land in this scheme is immense and I am sure it would've been possible to build some streets of nice terraced houses for all the residents.

How will this estate be any different to the previous one? I am sure abandoned supermarket trolleys and needles will be littered everywhere soon enough.
Horizon911 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 03:16 AM   #90
Blindfold
I said love, I said pet

Likes (Received): 170

I agree that this scheme will not work in the long term and is a complete waste of money, time and energy. As it has been already mentioned, the scheme relies too heavily on multi-dwelling buildings and communal open space exactly like the Ferrier Estate that it's replacing. Remember how wonderful the Ferrier looked upon completion? Yes this will look great too but for how long? Terraced or semi-detached houses with private gardens is what is needed here. It is too suburban for anything else and too far from an established town centre shopping area.
Old November 25th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #91
SE9
South East Nine

There are streets of terraced housing... except they are three storeys, as opposed to the traditional two:

[img]http://i40.************/rb9toj.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i42.************/2j45x87.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i44.************/18oqpf.jpg[/img]

Old November 25th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #92
Horizon911

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
There are streets of terraced housing... except they are three storeys, as opposed to the traditional two:
Do you really think the current residents will be allowed to live in them, of course not?
Horizon911 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #93
SE9
South East Nine

Many residents have been rehoused in the Eltham area.

Even still, many will move from the Ferrier estate into the regenerated sections.

Remember, there will be more new housing units than there were in the Ferrier Estate.

Given the location of the site, I don't think it would be right to make it a 'suburban' development full of semi-detached dwellings:

Old December 14th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #94
SE9
South East Nine

One of the highrise towers is being encased in the white sheet of death:

image hosted on flickr

Scaffolding is also climbing up a second tower. The other 9 towers are still occupied.

Not much fanfare surrounding the demolition of this estate at all... compared to other estate demolitions you often see. A slow, quiet death for 'London's Worst Estate'.
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:54 AM   #95
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
The floor slabs for sections of Phase 1 are currently being laid:

[IMG]http://i34.************/2inara.jpg[/IMG]
I do not understand how it is still possible to construct houses without basements, particularly in this age when sustainability is important. I am not sure this is an improvement on what there is/was, other than that if will look fresh and new.
JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #96
SE9
South East Nine

The houses are in a very low-lying area and next to the River Quaggy flood plain... so I think they decided that basements there wouldn't be wise.
Old December 17th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #97
SE9
South East Nine

Demolition Update 1 (Today)

The area for Phase 2 is currently under demolition. It is the first section of the estate to come down:

Old December 17th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #98
SE9
South East Nine

Demolition Update 2 (Today)

These two tower blocks will be the first to come down:

The block in the foreground will be the third. The other 8 tower blocks are still occupied:

Old December 17th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #99
SE9
South East Nine

Demolition Update 3 (Today)

The construction of Phase One (Eltham Green Quarter) continues at full pace. Unfortunately, they've put up tall green hoardings so you won't see anything for a while:

[IMG]http://i48.************/2pri7ie.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i49.************/2vx0o79.jpg[/IMG]
Old December 17th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #100
SE9
South East Nine

Demolition Update 4 (Today)

The blocks on Pinto Way are the first to be demolished:

Advertisement

Tags
berkeley homes, ferrier estate, greenwich, kidbrooke, kidbrooke village, london, village