Lugano | The City Want Back The Tramline - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Switzerland > Ticino

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #1
Tony Resta
T-Stays

Likes (Received): 70

Lugano | City Tram-Line | Proposed

Hi, it's been proposed a couple of times already to the council and the last time (last Dicember) it was proposed once again. The city wants it's tramline back.

Whoever has been to Lugano and travelled through the city not only in the centre should know that traffic becomes extremely intense especially at rush hours due to bad planning of the road system. Thus this means a high level of pollution in the City. With the new tunnel Cassarate-Vedeggio, it will bring most of the traffic flow from the lakeside entrance to the north side of the city, public transports in the north side haven't been prepared for this yet, this is also another reason for the planners to propose the tramline once again, not to mention Lugano's new district being built here too, meaning more people and traffic.

The line would start up north Lugano in Cornaredo and run alongside the river Cassarate passing through densly populated districts. It will then reach a point near the lake where it would divide itself in two lines, one onground running alongside the lakefront and one underground crossing some important areas. Then the line would join once again before Paradiso, then passing through it and reaching the commercial zones of Lugano, Grancia.

Here is a recent map of what to expect:

Please, if anybody has any recent news on this project, please let us know.

Last edited by Tony Resta; September 12th, 2008 at 09:43 PM.
Tony Resta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #2
railcity

Likes (Received): 61

That's really great news! So, there would be an underground station at the train station, as it seems.....

And trams would alternate in using the "beach line" and the "train station line"?

According to one study, it would cost 140 mill. CHF which doesn't sound too much for such a project.

Here some infos in German on the old Lugano tram (1896 - 1959) from the Zurich Tram museum:
http://www.tram-museum-archiv.ch/Sei...z/lugano-D.htm
railcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #3
Tony Resta
T-Stays

Yes, it is indeed a great idea, as for the price, i think from what i understood is that Lugano has asked Berna for help in funding this project, but i may be mistaken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #4
railcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Resta View Post
Yes, it is indeed a great idea, as for the price, i think from what i understood is that Lugano has asked Berna for help in funding this project, but i may be mistaken.
Yes, quite probable. Such projects are usually co-funded by the federal level.
Old September 14th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Tony Resta
T-Stays

Why did they decide to take it off in the first place anyway?
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #6
railcity

Quote:
In the 50-ies and beginning of 60-ies everyone believed that automobiles are the future and trams are "old-fashioned", disturbing the flow of car traffic, and taking too much space in the streets. Public transport should be underground or in big cars (buses). Cities like Paris were the ideal.

Most Swiss cities had trams in the end of 19th and beginning of 20th century. In the 50-ies/60-ies some quickly removed them in order to become more modern. Other cities were a little bit slow and started to remove only a small part of their tram network. This "lack of innovativeness" became an advantage when, starting around the end of the 70-ies (oil crisis, Club of Rome, more focus on environmental protection,...), the image of the trams was rising again. Now even Paris is starting to build tram lines like crazy, trying to catch up for lost ground. Sometimes it pays off to be conservative.
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Greg

Quote:
Probably for the same reason as Luzern abolished their Trams around 1960. The public opinion that buses are the future and Trams a thing of the past.
I don't see a revival of trams in Lugano or Luzern - or at least not in the next 20 years.
Greg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #8
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 980

In the new project the line run along the lake and not in tunnel.

Intsead the plans include a new funicular train station-town centre in addition to the existing one (and not in replacement) and a 2,2 km tunnel for the FLP narrow gauge railway (Bioggo-city centre), which would be converted in a tram-train system.

Some documents (in italian) here: http://www.ti.ch/dt/dstm/temi/Agglomerato/

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #9
sämelihülz
Kansas of Elsass

Likes (Received): 16

Trams and Trains are the future!

I also drive since 3 months, but I don't have the choice. I live in France, and the word "Public transport" doesn't even exist here!

It's very sad that all the smaller cities like Lucerne, Biel, Lugano, and others, removed the trams. Now they have to rebuilt the lines, and it costs a lot.

In the early 20th Century, Geneva had the densest tram network in Switzerland. Now they have about 4 lines, and they are also rebuilding new ones. Also Berne, banished some lines from the inner-city. Even in Basel, where they cancelled several lines, but there are still about 15 Lines, wich where built until 1950. Now they want to build a new line to Weil am Rhein (Germany, Line 6), and to St. Louis (France), and also other projects.

the number 10 From Rodersdorf to Dornach, is the longest Tram line in europe, crosses 3 cantons (BS,BL,SO) abd 2 countries (1 station in Leymen, France).

***1893***
sämelihülz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #10
sämelihülz
Kansas of Elsass

...scheiss Server

500 internal server problems!!!

***1893***

Last edited by sämelihülz; September 15th, 2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #11
Lake

Likes (Received): 49

Dasselbe auch in Zürich mit der früheren Linie 1...Mittlerweile fehlt zumindest teilweise der Platz für ein Tram und man versucht etwas hinzuwürgen...

Auch lustig:

Es bestehen seit langer Zeit Pläne die Linie 7 weiter nach Adliswil zu verlängern...Der Grund dass es nicht angepackt wird, liegt im Gärtchendenken.
Lake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #12
el_tico
esteban_coto

Likes (Received): 48

Wow, that's great news for Lugano! It would be awesome if they built a whole subway line.
el_tico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #13
Küsel
Resurrected

Likes (Received): 163

Das stimmt - bei dieser extremen Zersiedelung wie in Lugano wäre eine Ubahn schon angebracht. Man muss sie einfach mit ein paar Bergbahnen kombinieren ;-)
Old November 2nd, 2008, 07:29 PM   #14
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 50

Is Lugano and Locarno the same place? I show that Locarno has a subway, several underground stations of the Centovalli railway which is used in town as a real metro. Is there any truth to this?
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 07:33 PM   #15
steve5
Steve's Photo Gallery

Likes (Received): 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
Is Lugano and Locarno the same place? I show that Locarno has a subway, several underground stations of the Centovalli railway which is used in town as a real metro. Is there any truth to this?
No it's not the same City and there are only one or two underground stations, I know only one.

ERSTBEZUG - www.erstbezug.ch - Verzeichnis für Neubauprojekte in der Schweiz
steve5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 05:49 PM   #16
Küsel
Resurrected

Yes... FART!
Old November 4th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #17
sämelihülz
Kansas of Elsass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Küsel View Post
Das stimmt - bei dieser extremen Zersiedelung wie in Lugano wäre eine Ubahn schon angebracht. Man muss sie einfach mit ein paar Bergbahnen kombinieren ;-)
Meinst du eine U-Bahn oder eine Ueberlandbahn?

U-Bahn für Lugano ist Lächerlich Küsel, bitte nicht übertreiben!!!

***1893***
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #18
Küsel
Resurrected

Das war eigentlich nicht ganz ernst gemeint Dann eher noch in Basel, da ist das Terrain wenigstens flach.
Old November 6th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #19
sämelihülz
Kansas of Elsass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Küsel View Post
Das war eigentlich nicht ganz ernst gemeint Dann eher noch in Basel, da ist das Terrain wenigstens flach.
ach so! Na dann bin ich ja beruhigt...

Kannst du mir Küsel ein paar Infos über den unterirdischen Bahnhof von locarno geben. Hab zwar auf Wikipedia gekuckt aber da wurde man nicht wirklich schlau!?

***1893***
Old November 7th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #20
Küsel
Resurrected

Ich glaube, ich habe auch keine Bilder. Man kommt mit der SBB oben an (es ist ein Kopfbahnhof) und dann kann man eine Rolltreppe runter und kommt bei der Centovallibahn an. Dieser Bahnhof sieht aus wie eine Metrostation, aber die anderen Stationen sind glaube ich überirdisch. Kann sein, dass es noch eine Unterirdische gibt, bin aber nicht mehr sicher. Die Bahn heisst übrigens wirklich FART - vielleicht haben die eine HP, wo du etwas findest.
Advertisement

Tags
city, lugano, project, tram

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: