Crossrail stations & associated works | Various sites | London | U/C - Page 10 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > London Transport Forum

London Transport Forum For transport and infrastructure in London

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #181
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 187

No they're gonna shut down the whole of London whilst boring the tunnels.
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 25th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #182
potto

Likes (Received): 12228

just to increase the readership of the Evening Standard
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #183
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

It would give Kimberly something to moan about if nothing else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #184
mtj73

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz44 View Post
That render is a bit worrying as the new tube entrances are quite accurate - meaning that the new building might be as well. Judging by that it's simply not good enough - on any level; massing, form, facade treatment etc. Piss poor.
Yes, seems a missed opportunity here, looks a bland effort considering it's such a prime location plus the fuss and expence of CPO,s. That render look like it took all 5 minutes to knock up.
mtj73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #185
fitz44

Likes (Received): 41

The building across Cowross St from Farringdon Road Station is about halfway down now;

Old August 29th, 2009, 03:35 AM   #186
delores

Likes (Received): 819

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz44 View Post
That render is a bit worrying as the new tube entrances are quite accurate - meaning that the new building might be as well. Judging by that it's simply not good enough - on any level; massing, form, facade treatment etc. Piss poor.
I agree it's bloddy terrible....if that's built we will be mourning what it replaced in years to come as another shocking crap modern building replacing a perfectly ok lively victorian facade that just needed restoration not destruction.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #187
large
Large Member

Likes (Received): 102

this is good news:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...e-1779136.html

Its the way ahead with such a vital infrastructure project. We should be like the French and be prepared to pay for decent transport up front through tax...it benefits the whole country.
large no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #188
Scary_

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb78 View Post
I think that's precisely what the Crossrail team are going for - ensuring that by next May, the amount of waste and compensation if the project were cancelled is so great that cancellation is off the cards.

Then again, the 1970s incarnation of the Channel Tunnel was well into the drilling stage before it got axed...
But all that left were a few holes near a cliff. If Crossrail was cancelled then having huge construction sites lying dormant for years in the centre of London and Docklands would be very embarrassing. A location like the TCR station would be left vacant for many many years as no-one would be able to build on it
Scary_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:15 PM   #189
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Not necessarily, the ticket hall at TCR needed rebuilding before crossrail was proposed, there's no reason why they couldn't carry on with the redevelopment of that whilst not pursuing the rest of crossrail.
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:21 PM   #190
Mikey
Aerial Erector

Likes (Received): 9

there was pile driving going on this afternoon (bank holiday monday) near to west india quay DLR station, i assume for crossrail
Mikey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:52 PM   #191
Lord Nelson

Likes (Received): 17

Tottenham Court Road Station

Astoria is gone and the curved buildings on the corner are nearly finished off, too

Pic taken today
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:35 PM   #192
darrense14

Likes (Received): 0

Gutted to see the Astoria being demolished - i've spent many a drunken night at G.A.Y over the years. BUT - i love Crossrail and it's great to see things moving forward.
darrense14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:17 PM   #193
Scary_

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_like_concrete View Post
Not necessarily, the ticket hall at TCR needed rebuilding before crossrail was proposed, there's no reason why they couldn't carry on with the redevelopment of that whilst not pursuing the rest of crossrail.
Yeah but then if they just finish the tube ticket hall but don't go ahead with Crossrail the whole area will be in limbo. If the land is released back fro building at all, no-one will want to build on it in case the crossrail plans are dusted off a couple of years later.
Scary_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:54 AM   #194
Light Parade

Likes (Received): 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nelson View Post
Astoria is gone and the curved buildings on the corner are nearly finished off, too

Pic taken today
"Vegio & Co's Cafe, Est 185_" on the exposed Oxford Street gable. Always a small treat when these things reappear.

More prosaically, two businesses closed/closing on the Sutton Row/Goslett Yard block (the one with the Disney tower), anyone know when this is scheduled to drop?
Light Parade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 05:00 PM   #195
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 10617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Parade View Post
More prosaically, two businesses closed/closing on the Sutton Row/Goslett Yard block (the one with the Disney tower), anyone know when this is scheduled to drop?
Before Christmas, in fact I reckon October, one of the media businesses in Goslett Yard I know is moving up to Whitfield Street around then.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #196
gegloma01

Likes (Received): 2278

Financial Times: TfL secures £1bn Crossrail loan

The London mayor's transport organisation has taken a significant step towards financing its share of the £15.9bn London Crossrail scheme after it agreed a £1bn loan. The European Investment Bank loan will be drawn down over the next six years as part of Transport for London's £7.7bn contribution to building the project. It will be repaid through fares revenue from the service carrying passengers east-west across London.
gegloma01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #197
OptomistOne

Likes (Received): 975

A bit more on the above from the nice people at the Evening Standard. Nice to see the word "unstoppable" (even if it is in quotation marks) used in the heading......

TfL wins £1billion loan from Europe to fund 'unstoppable' Crossrail
Ross Lydall

08.09.09 A vital £1 billion loan has been obtained by Transport for London to help fund Crossrail.

The European Investment Bank — the financing institution of the European Union — has agreed to provide the cash over the next six years.

The £15.9 billion line will link Heathrow with the City, Canary Wharf and beyond when it opens in 2017.

TfL plans to borrow £2.4 billion of its £7.7 billion share of the line's cost, using future fares' revenue as loan guarantees.

A further £3.5 billion will be raised by charging London firms a supplement on their business rates from next April. Work on Crossrail began in May with the construction of Canary Wharf station.

Whole-scale demolition of parts of central London to enable two tunnels to be dug between Paddington and Farringdon will start in 2011.

London Mayor Boris Johnson said: “Our good friends at the EIB have provided us with a billion more reasons to proceed with the unstoppable force that is Crossrail.”

Simon Brooks, EIB vice-president, said: “Crossrail is the largest construction project in Europe and will make an important contribution to London's economy. We at the EIB are delighted to support the project.”

This is the third EIB loan taken by TfL. It has a £450 million deal to help fund the £1 billion East London line extension, and a £200 million loan to fund improvements to the Docklands Light Railway.

Baroness Valentine, chief executive of business group London First, said: “The EIB has seen the value of Crossrail to the long term well-being of London.

“The economic potential unleashed will support regeneration of the Thames Gateway and a wider sharing of the benefits of London's success.”

London, the World's Greatest City.......................................after Hobart.
OptomistOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #198
london lad

Likes (Received): 3691

CROSSRAIL TICKET HALL AT FARRINGDON GAINS APPROVED

10 September, 2009

By Roxane McMeeken

Islington council gives green light to hall in station to link new rail link with existing London lines

Crossrail has received another boost after plans for a new ticket hall at London’s Farringdon station to accommodate the cross-capital link were approved by Islington council.

The new ticket hall will link Crossrail with the other lines passing through the station, Thameslink and the London Underground. Building work at Farringdon will get underway immediately. Engineer Scot Wilson and architect Aedas are working on Farringdon station.

The £15.9bn Crossrail project is due for completion in 2017. The first construction work for Crossrail began on 15 May at Canary Wharf. Demolition works are continuing at Tottenham Court Road to enable a major redevelopment of the station, and tunnel boring machines will be launched in 2011.

Read more: http://www.building.co.uk/story.asp?
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #199
GazKinz

Likes (Received): 100

Great news on the loan, another point going slightly off topic, I'm actually quite impressed with Boris's performance thus far, I was one one of the doom mongerers when he was elected but he's been remarkably pragamatic, good on him.
GazKinz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:57 AM   #200
Ciudad Bristol

Likes (Received): 512

Looking down on the TCR site today. Notice the roof terrace on the new Terry building in the foreground.

Crossrail Oct 2020

Last edited by Ciudad Bristol; September 11th, 2009 at 02:04 AM.
Ciudad Bristol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
london