# UC / Heath Ledger Theatre - Page 23 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Archives

Old July 2nd, 2008, 06:23 AM   #441
crave
fierce buildings papi.

Location: perth - parkland oasis in tha heat. where building designs look better with lowered expectations.
Likes (Received): 1512

tha fvckrz shoulda named it after me... everybody knows how i love to bring tha drama...
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2008, 06:40 AM   #442
ryan79
Destorying our history

Likes (Received): 1292

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperaterobots View Post
An actors an actor. The mediums are very different, the techniques and process vary wildly, but in the end, it's still people playing dress ups and pretending. It's splitting hairs.

I mean, which embittered old theatre queen has had their feathers so ruffled by this that they're kicking up a stink? I can just imagine a grey haired 56 year old director sipping a cheeky red with a sweater knotted around his shoulders at a King St cafe complaining spitefully that they've done more for this state's theatre scene than that kid Heath could ever DREAM to! Don't you think?

You're sooo right Graham, you're so graayysch!

Bleh!
Its probably the theatrical actors who never made it big getting pissed off and talking up theatre more than it is to big themselves up.

As they say its better being a big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond. Heath was a medium sized fish in the biggest pond and if you can't admire the effort and courage to venture into that big pond then your an insecure little person.

But yeah if any actor solely based in Perth thinks they've achieved more than Heath they are simply delusional. Whilst I respect all local artists who contribute to the local scene its the ones that venture beyond our state line and our countries borders who go and make something of themselves that achieve the most.

Oh and DR I hope you agree. Not sure if your beyong WA or not but I hope you know where I'm coming from, since your an artist.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:06 AM   #443
samboy

Likes (Received): 864

We shouldn't get carried away about who's achieved more etc etc. We live in a materialistic world with commercial drives. Whether you agree about heath's achievements or not, Heath Ledger = Marketable commodity (even dead). Simple as that. The fact that some 2bit theater (by world standards) in Perth got a mention in the international media proves that point. Let's be realistic about this and see for what it is . This is the world we live in. The pereived reason for something is rarely the actual reason. Sometimes it's win/win and sometimes it's not.
samboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:11 AM   #444
Scraperfan
Single, looking to mingle

Likes (Received): 4112

well said.

i mean we named a tunnel after graham farmer and he had what to do with roads?

the connection of Heath's career to a "performing art" whether it be cinema or stage is a close enough link.

Certainly a closer relevance than a footballer to a road!
Scraperfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:21 AM   #445
ryan79
Destorying our history

Likes (Received): 1292

Very good points on both counts there guys.

So easy to pick apart an argument by Beachres on many levels.

But yeah theres no denying its marketing ability but come on, its a win/win situation here.

BTW, why name a theatre after a politician or a royal (yet another great argument against Beachres) after all WTF they have to do with theatre. I mean if you can't argue against Heath Ledger you could argue against these people too. At least is related and very closely.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:49 AM   #446
didge73

Likes (Received): 0

Agree agree agree. That goes the same with things like airports...many around the world are named after politicians, scientists, sportsmen, national heroes and even celebrities...so naming conventions dont really always have to fit the criteria, eg aviators to airports.

From Wikipedia:
"The name of the airport itself can be its location, such as Hong Kong International Airport. It can be the name of a celebrity, commonly a politician, e.g. Ninoy Aquino International Airport, Indira Gandhi International Airport, Atatürk International Airport, Toronto Pearson International Airport, Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport or Charles de Gaulle International Airport. Airports may also be named after a person associated with the region it serves or prominent figures in aviation history, such as Will Rogers World Airport, Liverpool John Lennon Airport, Imam Khomeini International Airport, or more recently Belfast City Airport was renamed George Best Belfast City Airport in memory of the football star who was born in Northern Ireland."

I think Heath Ledger Theatre is an excellent name. Naming the theatre so for international credibility is a statement thats probably a wee bit too cynical.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:56 AM   #447
crave
fierce buildings papi.

Location: perth - parkland oasis in tha heat. where building designs look better with lowered expectations.

heath ledger theatre sounds so bogan.

for pure boganess value, i think tha name should stick...
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:05 AM   #448
Scraperfan

Yeh I would be all for Perth Brad Pitt Airport.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:11 AM   #449
acc521
Do you expect me to talk?

Likes (Received): 451

'Give Heath Ledger an Oscar'

By staff writers July 02, 2008 10:30am

* First reviews of The Dark Knight are in
* Heath Ledger said to be "brilliant"
* Movies: Latest reviews, trailers, news

FILM critics are calling for the late Heath Ledger to receive an Oscar for his 'unforgettable' portrayal of The Joker in new Batman film, The Dark Knight.

The first reviews of the new film in Britain's The Sun newspaper and Rolling Stone magazine praise Ledger's performance, calling it the role of his career.

Rolling Stone reviewer Peter Travers said Ledger "is mad-crazy-blazing brilliant as the Joker".

"If there's a movement to get him the first posthumous Oscar since Peter Finch won for 1976's Network, sign me up.

"Miles from Jack Nicholson's broadly funny take on the role in Tim Burton's 1989 Batman, Ledger takes the role to the shadows, where even what's comic is hardly a relief."

The Sun said, "Heath steals the movie".

"This film is about one man, and that's Heath Ledger.

"His electrifying performance as The Joker serves up the most menacing, villainous appearance on screen since Hannibal Lecter.

"Ledger has upped the ante for much loved and revered Hollywood villains, and whether or not he wins an Academy Award, his performance will be forever remembered in celluloid history."

The Sun went on to say there were eerie moments in the film, "like when The Joker talks about death, particularly the image of this clown faced actor wielding a gun and pointing it at himself".

This was the last film Ledger completed before his death in January. He was part-way through filming Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus when he died.
acc521 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 12:20 PM   #450
crave
fierce buildings papi.

so what's gonna happen to heath's role in dr paranassus sekshually deviant mind?
Old July 2nd, 2008, 12:28 PM   #451
Scraperfan

still gonna be the star. apparently the script lent itself to him changing characters.

he can jump through a magic mirror or something. for the end scenes they are gonna use a new person but it will still be his character.

more info might be on www.imdb.com
Old July 2nd, 2008, 12:32 PM   #452
desperaterobots
Full of nukey goodness

Likes (Received): 2465

Quote:
Originally Posted by samboy View Post
We shouldn't get carried away about who's achieved more etc etc. We live in a materialistic world with commercial drives. Whether you agree about heath's achievements or not, Heath Ledger = Marketable commodity (even dead). Simple as that. The fact that some 2bit theater (by world standards) in Perth got a mention in the international media proves that point. Let's be realistic about this and see for what it is . This is the world we live in. The pereived reason for something is rarely the actual reason. Sometimes it's win/win and sometimes it's not.
If we're talking about simple facts and home truths, Perth theatre needs A LOT more than a theatre named after someone famous to become relevant to the masses and to see financial success. I don't for a second believe anyone involved thinks this will somehow boost the bottom line.
desperaterobots no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 12:37 PM   #453
desperaterobots
Full of nukey goodness

Likes (Received): 2465

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan79 View Post
Oh and DR I hope you agree. Not sure if your beyong WA or not but I hope you know where I'm coming from, since your an artist.
Hey I missed this. And yeah of course I agree! I've got mates in music who have moved beyond WA and they're still really down to earth. In my experience it's usually the guys in shitty talentless bands who complain the most about how they deserve the recognition.
desperaterobots no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:30 PM   #454
AndyGM

Likes (Received): 2792

Thay named a swimming pool in Melbourne after Harold Holt....
AndyGM está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:31 PM   #455
AndyGM

Likes (Received): 2792

Thay named a swimming pool in Melbourne after Harold Holt....
AndyGM está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:01 PM   #456
Ipggi
Here

Likes (Received): 539

Well they used to name related sports buildings after people up until commercial naming rights. Though sometimes still do such as the recent ITAC.

Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre and the Andrew (Boy) Charlton Pool in Sydney.
Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne.
Lillee-Marsh stand at the WACA Ground

I am sure there are many more.
Ipggi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:33 PM   #457
aaronaugi1

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipggi View Post
Well they used to name related sports buildings after people up until commercial naming rights. Though sometimes still do such as the recent ITAC.

Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre and the Andrew (Boy) Charlton Pool in Sydney.
Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne.
Lillee-Marsh stand at the WACA Ground

I am sure there are many more.
ponsford stand MCG, Margaret Court Arena, Allan Border Field QLD.

Theres even the Mainwaring wing for Eagles home games...another well known (at least in Perth), recently deceased, figure.

I dont see the cynical side if his family supports it.

Its not like Liverpool was put on the map becuase of "John Lennon Airport".
aaronaugi1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:42 PM   #458
samboy

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperaterobots View Post
If we're talking about simple facts and home truths, Perth theatre needs A LOT more than a theatre named after someone famous to become relevant to the masses and to see financial success. I don't for a second believe anyone involved thinks this will somehow boost the bottom line.
Every little bit helps. I'm not expecting a miracle but it will help. Unlike you I don't for a second believe that the decision was not commercially motivated.
samboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:52 PM   #459
PerthCity

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan79 View Post
Very good points on both counts there guys.

So easy to pick apart an argument by Beachres on many levels.
I agree with samboy that the reason Heath Ledger was chosen because his name is a "marketable commodity" as described. People at the least know his name.

You can't pick apart my opinion that the name is tacky though. I don't think I've stated much more than that.
PerthCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:37 PM   #460
Matt B

Likes (Received): 439

Some WA Secret Service guy probably bumped Ledger off just to save us from the Rolf Harris Theatre
Matt B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement