Dallas/Dallas Metro Development News - Page 23 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Texas > Projects and Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #441
dfwcre8tive

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas star View Post
One solution. Building something so tall to the South of it that it'll block the sunlight altogether.
The Nasher Sculpture Center (victim of the reflection) is directly south of Museum Tower; the sunlight is coming from the west and being reflected south due to the curved facade of Museum Tower. Are you suggesting it should leave town and be replaced by another tower? To block incoming light something would probably need to be located where Klyde Warren Park is, so it looks like the easiest solution is to modify Museum Tower.

The reflected light pierces the Nasher's roof, which was designed to orient north for maximum natural light without direct sunlight (until Museum Tower came along). The light is affecting all gallery space with direct light and heat, which is bad for the artwork.

Some photos from today:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Galleries:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Nasher Cafe:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by dfwcre8tive; July 9th, 2012 at 06:00 AM.
dfwcre8tive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #442
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Likes (Received): 374

How detrimental would you say the Museum tower is?
Dallas star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #443
dfwcre8tive

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas star View Post
How detrimental would you say the Museum tower is?
If a solution isn't found, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Nasher pack up their collection and move. There are plenty of cities around the world that would love to have it.
dfwcre8tive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #444
WesTexas

Likes (Received): 294

The fix seems easy but i'm amazed no one is doing it.
WesTexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:34 AM   #445
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53917

1025 Elm St. To Become Homewood Suites Hotel

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...e-makeover.ece

Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:58 AM   #446
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Parkland Hospital July 29

image hosted on flickr

Parklandia, Dallas by C Troy Mathis, on Flickr

Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:57 AM   #447
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

New Downtown Plano Development Proposed

Quote:
PLANO — The continuing redevelopment of downtown Plano took another step forward as developers released plans for a 316,000-square-foot mixed use development at the corner of 15th Street and I Avenue.

The property would include a mix of retail and apartment space and is being developed by Southern Land Company of Nashville. The building would be located where Eisbenbergs Skatepark currently operates. Developers and other downtown merchants said they hope the project will help attract more people to downtown and raise awareness of what downtown Plano has to offer.

"We try to find really unique urban sites and weren't looking in Plano," said Tim Downey, Southern Land's CEO. "We were surprised when someone told us about the downtown Plano location because we didn't really know that Plano had a downtown. That is kind of embarrassing, but I think a lot of people tend to think of Plano as the Legacy area. We fell in love with the site the first time we saw it."

The property will contain about 10,000 square feet of retail space and 283 apartment units. Downey said the development's retail anchor will be a 7-11 Urban Market, which will occupy about 35 percent of the total retail space. He said the store will not have gas pumps, but will sell food and household items for those residents who live in downtown Plano.

Downey said the apartment complex will feature upscale units with granite countertops and wood floors. He said the one-bedroom units will start at about $1,100 a month. Of the 283 units, 75 percent will have one bedroom, 22 percent will have two bedrooms, and the remaining will have three bedrooms.

The development will require a change to the city's zoning ordinance, which should go before planning and zoning and city council later this year. A site plan must also be approved, but assuming everything goes smoothly, Downey said ground could be broken in spring 2012. The first residents could be moved in within a year of the beginning of construction.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:01 PM   #448
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

DallasNews

Quote:
$60 million project on tap for Frisco Square

By STEVE BROWN Real Estate Editor
Published: 18 November 2011 07:28 AM

Developers of the 11-year-old Frisco Square are about to begin construction on the biggest project yet in the mixed-use complex.

The 8-story building will be located near Frisco's City Hall in the project on Main Street just east of the Dallas North Tollway.

"It's about a $60 million complex of buildings - retail office and housing with a parking garage," said Frisco Square's managing partner Jim Leslie. "Our plan is to be underway in late January or early February."

The complex will include 100,000 square feet of office space, 220 apartment units and 50,000 square feet of retail space with 800 parking spaces. The building was designed by architect O'Brien Associates.

Frisco Square has leased 61,000 square feet of office space to Gearbox Software, a developer of interactive entertainment products.

Gearbox has been in business since 1999 and is currently located on east Park Boulevard in Plano.
The company looked at multiple locations before picking Frisco Square.

The new development will open in early 2013, Leslie said.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:05 PM   #449
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Details On Trammell Crow's Legacy Office Project

Quote:
By Christine PerezApril 26th, 2012 10:00am..

Trammell Crow Co. has released details on Legacy Towers, a two-building office complex it’s developing at Legacy business park in Plano. The company is joining forces with a subsidiary of One Liberty Properties on the project, which will sit on 6.2 acres at the southeast corner of Legacy Drive and the Dallas North Tollway.

Phase I calls for a 13-story, 341,000-square-foot office building. A second seven-story facility is also planned. The two buildings will share a five-story parking garage. The development was designed by Dallas-based HKS Inc.

“Legacy is one of the best office markets in the country, and this truly is one of the best sites in the entire Legacy Business Park,” said Denton Walker, senior managing director for Trammell Crow Co, in a statement.

The company acquired 404 acres of land throughout Legacy business park about six years ago. It has since developed nearly 1 million square feet of new office space, including the eight-story, 214,000-square-foot One Legacy Circle; Pizza Hut’s 178,000-square-foot, three-story corporate headquarters; and Capital One’s three-story, 450,000-square-foot campus.

Trammell Crow also is developing a 225,000-square-foot corporate campus for MedAssets, and a 280,000-square-foot office facility for Ericsson. It expects to begin work on Legacy Towers next year, and will seek LEED Gold certification for the project.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:09 PM   #450
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Tyler Technologies Breaks Ground on New Headquarters in Plano, Texas

Quote:
DALLAS - (BUSINESS WIRE) - Tyler Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: TYL), the largest company in the U.S. focused solely on providing software solutions to the public sector, today broke ground on its new 142,000-square-foot corporate and division headquarters in Plano, Texas.

Tyler Technologies' new Plano headquarters located in Legacy Business Park will be built by KDC. (Photo: Business Wire)

The new headquarters will be located at 5101 Tennyson Parkway, the former site of the Plano Family YMCA, in the Legacy Business Park in Plano. KDC, one of America's leading commercial real estate and investment firms, will develop and manage the construction of Tyler's new 26-acre campus.

Tyler plans to consolidate all staff from its Courts & Justice Division, at 6500 International Parkway in Plano, and its existing corporate headquarters, at 5949 Sherry Lane in Dallas, into the new corporate office next year. Construction is slated for completion in August 2013. More than 300 current employees, the vast majority of whom will come from the Courts & Justice Division, will office at the new facility.

"Tyler Technologies has a long history in the Dallas/Plano area and we are excited to reinforce our commitment to the area with these significant investments," said John S. Marr Jr., Tyler's president and CEO. "We are also excited to consolidate local operations into a single campus that will provide our employees with a modern environment that has all the amenities of a productive and enjoyable workplace. This investment will only enhance Tyler's position as an employer of choice and will support the growth Tyler is currently experiencing in its Courts & Justice Division for years to come."

Tyler's Plano headquarters campus will include a new, 82,000-square-foot, three-story office building connected via a transparent ground-level walkway to the 60,000-square-foot, two-story former YMCA building. The existing building will be renovated as the company's Courts & Justice product development center. The existing building will also house shared services, including a fitness center and a cafe overlooking a green space and waterway. The building's exterior structure and design will remain virtually the same. The new corporate campus will be situated on 26-acres of park-like settings with lush landscape and waterways.

HKS Architects is the project designer for the new headquarters and Hill & Wilkinson is the general contractor. BLUM Consulting Engineers, Inc., Brockette, Davis & Drake Engineers, and TBG Landscape Architects also are working on the project.

[...]
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #451
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Parkland is looking great, went by it on the DART this afternoon. The cladding looks so much better than I'd imagined it would. Now if only the change in scenery will help Parkland get it's act together.
Old August 6th, 2012, 05:08 AM   #452
a001lan

Likes (Received): 7

Was wondering is Dallas going to build some super tall skyscraper? To surpass Houston's Chase and Well Fargo Plaza maybe?
Old August 7th, 2012, 02:37 AM   #453
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1087

Quote:
Originally Posted by a001lan View Post
Was wondering is Dallas going to build some super tall skyscraper? To surpass Houston's Chase and Well Fargo Plaza maybe?
They need to in the future.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.
skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #454
revilo87

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperhighrise View Post
I know no country is going to surpass the Burj Khalifa as the tallest building in the world for quite some time, but if we're all gonna keep saying "everythings bigger in Texas," texas needs to have the tallest Building in the USA, and Dallas would be the perfect home for it. Houston has NASA, San Antonio the Alamo, Austin is the Capital. Dallas needs something unique of it's own, and the tallest building in the USA could be that unique thing.

As far as development/redevelopment in Dallas goes, I'd like to see the area between the behind city hall, between the Trinity river just all the way up to the Edge of Fair Park/South Dallas re-developed.

Everyone keeps saying we need to redevlop the Fair Park area, or West Dallas across the river, however the area I point out is better it improves the area around the trinity which will help the trinity river project as well, it improves the core of the city more than the other areas. It would also improve the look of the city for anyone coming in from I-45. And few sky scrapers in the general vicinity would also go along way in extending the current Skyline and make Dallas seem more like a first tier city. I've outlined the area in Red, and placed blue dots in random spots that I think would improve the skyline.

Here's a crude rendition of how I'd want the skyline to be extended. It's not my actual plan of what I exactly or anything just a general idea

JasnoDTX liked this post
revilo87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #455
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Any highrise construction south of HW30 would be a terrible idea. Sorry
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #456
a001lan

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
they'll need now.
Dallas is already 1st tier city, no doubt about it, 4th largest metro, 3rd largest airport, etc. But it only needs more taller buildings, maybe 350-400 metres
Old August 8th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #457
JJG

Likes (Received): 1264

Quote:
Originally Posted by a001lan View Post
they'll need now.
Dallas is already 1st tier city, no doubt about it, 4th largest metro, 3rd largest airport, etc. But it only needs more taller buildings, maybe 350-400 metres
I love skyscrapers too, but to say that Dallas NEEDS skyscrapers just to have skyscrapers isn't really a good idea. That goes for any city, really. I could see maybe 2-3 skyscrapers over 700' within the next decade, but no more than that as far as I could see. Anything more would be a "maybe".

Also, keep something in mind..... you can't truly say that Dallas is the 4th largest metro because it's shared with Fort Worth, which has over 700,000 people in the city and more than 2 million on its side of the Metroplex. So it's not like Dallas owns the entire metro area. It just so happens to be the largest of TWO anchor cities.
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #458
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1087

Quote:
Originally Posted by revilo87 View Post
I know no country is going to surpass the Burj Khalifa as the tallest building in the world for quite some time, but if we're all gonna keep saying "everythings bigger in Texas," texas needs to have the tallest Building in the USA, and Dallas would be the perfect home for it. Houston has NASA, San Antonio the Alamo, Austin is the Capital. Dallas needs something unique of it's own, and the tallest building in the USA could be that unique thing.

As far as development/redevelopment in Dallas goes, I'd like to see the area between the behind city hall, between the Trinity river just all the way up to the Edge of Fair Park/South Dallas re-developed.

Everyone keeps saying we need to redevlop the Fair Park area, or West Dallas across the river, however the area I point out is better it improves the area around the trinity which will help the trinity river project as well, it improves the core of the city more than the other areas. It would also improve the look of the city for anyone coming in from I-45. And few sky scrapers in the general vicinity would also go along way in extending the current Skyline and make Dallas seem more like a first tier city. I've outlined the area in Red, and placed blue dots in random spots that I think would improve the skyline.

Here's a crude rendition of how I'd want the skyline to be extended. It's not my actual plan of what I exactly or anything just a general idea

I Doubt it, Dallas needs to be stop overbuilding, look what happen in the 1980's.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.
skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #459
JJG

Likes (Received): 1264

Quote:
I Doubt it, Dallas needs to be stop overbuilding, look what happen in the 1980's.
Yeah, that's the best word for it.
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #460
irving1903

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by revilo87 View Post

It would be nice to see the area between i30 and grand ave redeveloped, for fair park's benefit if anything else, some more mixed-use/loft type things.

but then again it is south dallas -___-
irving1903 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
addison, allen, arlington, carrollton, cedar hill, dallas, denton, design district, downtown, farmers branch, flower mound, frisco, garland, grand prairie, grapevine, highland park, irving, las colinas, lewisville, mckinney, mesquite, north dallas, plano, preston, preston hollow, richardson, suburban development news, texas, uptown, victory