Dallas/Dallas Metro Development News - Page 24 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Texas > Projects and Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2012, 01:25 AM   #461
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1087

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Yeah, that's the best word for it.
The Savings and loans scandal destroyed dallas.
and building had to be stopped.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.
skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2012, 02:03 AM   #462
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53917

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperhighrise View Post
The Savings and loans scandal destroyed dallas.
and building had to be stopped.
Yeah, and what happened? Market forces now determine what gets built in Dallas...like everywhere else. If you're worried about bubbles, I'd recommend a trip to China.

Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #463
a001lan

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
I love skyscrapers too, but to say that Dallas NEEDS skyscrapers just to have skyscrapers isn't really a good idea. That goes for any city, really. I could see maybe 2-3 skyscrapers over 700' within the next decade, but no more than that as far as I could see. Anything more would be a "maybe".

Also, keep something in mind..... you can't truly say that Dallas is the 4th largest metro because it's shared with Fort Worth, which has over 700,000 people in the city and more than 2 million on its side of the Metroplex. So it's not like Dallas owns the entire metro area. It just so happens to be the largest of TWO anchor cities.
what about Houston then? Even not considering downtown, Houston has a lot of quite tall buildings, especially in galleria uptown area, and now Memorial city mall area. Doesn't seem that Dallas has as many tall building as Houston.
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #464
JJG

Likes (Received): 1264

Quote:
Originally Posted by a001lan View Post
what about Houston then? Even not considering downtown, Houston has a lot of quite tall buildings, especially in galleria uptown area, and now Memorial city mall area. Doesn't seem that Dallas has as many tall building as Houston.
Yeah... I KNOW that. It's the 4th largest city in the country and is going through another building boom. Dallas isn't nearly as big as Houston, as well.

Population wise: Houston has over 2 million people in city and 6 million in its metro area. Also, Houston doesn't share it's area with another major city, so it's more understandable.

But considering that population doesn't necessarily mean more skyscrapers, Houston has certain factors going for it that Dallas doesn't to build that much.
JJG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #465
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Likes (Received): 374

Quote:
I love skyscrapers too, but to say that Dallas NEEDS skyscrapers just to have skyscrapers isn't really a good idea. That goes for any city, really. I could see maybe 2-3 skyscrapers over 700' within the next decade, but no more than that as far as I could see. Anything more would be a "maybe".

Also, keep something in mind..... you can't truly say that Dallas is the 4th largest metro because it's shared with Fort Worth, which has over 700,000 people in the city and more than 2 million on its side of the Metroplex. So it's not like Dallas owns the entire metro area. It just so happens to be the largest of TWO anchor cities.
Always on the defensive, standing up for Fort Worth. I applaud that. It's unfortunate that the metropolitan area is almost always branded as Dallas. The Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area is made up of many more cities which receive almost no recognition such as Lewisville, Arlington, Denton, Irving, Garland which would be respectively sized in any other region. For some reason this area in north Texas is generalized as Dallas and will most likely always continue.
Dallas star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #466
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53917

A look at the Water Street development going into Las Colinas:

JasnoDTX liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #467
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Stunning, the lot across from Williams square is one hell of a location. What are they going to do about the Williams square underground parking exit on the property? But I definitely love how the integrated the rail tracks into Water Street. I can't wait to see the further developments of this project.
Old August 31st, 2012, 06:47 AM   #468
RASEC33

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
A look at the Water Street development going into Las Colinas:

What is the status on this project?
RASEC33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 09:19 AM   #469
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Developer Forest City moving ahead with big apartment tower and retail deal in Dallas' Cityplace community

Quote:

Forest City's planned Cityplace project will cost almost $100 million.

After almost a year of planning and negotiations, a new high-rise residential and retail development is moving ahead in Dallas' Cityplace neighborhood.

Ohio-based developer Forest City Enterprises on Wednesday completed its purchase of about three acres at McKinney Avenue and Blackburn Street.

The vacant block will be used to build...
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/commercial-real-estate/headlines/20120802-developer-forest-city-moving-ahead-with-big-apartment-tower-and-retail-deal-in-dallas-cityplace-community.ece
Old September 4th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #470
jonathaninATX

Likes (Received): 2872

Real estate boom under way in Dallas’ Oak Lawn district

Quote:
A bulldozer stayed busy clearing land this week as construction proceeds on Ilume Park, a new apartment project being built in Oak Lawn. The neighborhood has become a magnet for developers with plans for housing, office and retail projects.

Uptown gets all the attention, but there’s a real estate boom in Dallas’ neighboring Oak Lawn, too.

Developers are kicking off construction on a handful of large apartment projects, and more are in the works.

“It’s going to be an up-and-coming spot for more people to live,” said Brian Tusa,
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...n-district.ece
jonathaninATX está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #471
Dallaz

Likes (Received): 174

Quote:
I Doubt it, Dallas needs to be stop overbuilding, look what happen in the 1980's.
How are we overbuilding? There's actually a demand for high rises. That's why a lot of the projects were put on hold until now.
Dallaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #472
jonathaninATX

Water Street project gets approval from Irving City Council

Quote:
By Candace Carlisle, Staff Writer
Date: Friday, September 7,2012, 2:35pm CDT

Irving's recent city council approval for the Water Street project — a mixed-use retail and residential project on a high-profile 14-acre site at O'Connor Road and Las Colinas Boulevard — has Atlanta-based developer Gables Residential planning to begin construction early next year.

"Our goal is to break ground in early 2013, but that all depends on the next few weeks," said Katy Slade, the Gables Residential development director overseeing Dallas-Fort Worth, in a recent interview with the Dallas Business Journal prior to Thursday's City Council meeting.

By the developer breaking ground early next year, the first apartment units could be completed by 2014, she said.

The project includes more than 55,000 square feet of new retail space and about 300-350 luxury residential apartments. The retail and residential project is located across the street from Williams Square and alongside Lake Carolyn.
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...-approval.html
Old September 9th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #473
jonathaninATX

Irving selected as site for $105 million proton facility

Quote:
By Bill Hethcock, Staff Writer
Date: Friday, September 7,2012, 12:44pm CDT

Irving will be the site of a $105 million proton therapy cancer treatment complex to be built and operated by Baylor Health Care System, Texas Oncology and McKesson Specialty Health, the companies announced today.

The proton therapy facility — one of two planned in North Texas — is expected to make the Dallas-Fort Worth area a destination for world-class cancer care services. There are now only 11 proton therapy centers operating in the United States. M.D. Anderson in Houston has the only other proton therapy facility in Texas.

Project representatives expect construction to begin on the 50,000-square-foot facility in 2013 and anticipate the first patients to be treated in the advanced cancer treatment complex in late 2015.
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...5.html?ana=twt
Old September 9th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #474
RASEC33

Likes (Received): 149

Perot Museum of Nature and Science fly-through

RASEC33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #475
skyscraperhighrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
How are we overbuilding? There's actually a demand for high rises. That's why a lot of the projects were put on hold until now.
What they need is a supertall skyscraper that will surpass bank of america of Dallas.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

#standwithrand

Old September 10th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #476
JJG

Likes (Received): 1264

Quote:
What they need is a supertall skyscraper that will surpass bank of america of Dallas.
But that's just it.

They don't really need that much of anything. At least, when it comes to a super tall...
JJG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #477
Dallas star
Everything Texas

The time will come when the BOA will be surpassed. For now it's great.

Sometimes I fantasize about the AON tower being pulled right up from Chicago and dropped in Dallas right around where the Dallas aquarium is. I think it would make the skyline absolutely perfect. But that of course, is just a dream.
Old September 13th, 2012, 02:38 AM   #478
skyscraperhighrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas star View Post
The time will come when the BOA will be surpassed. For now it's great.

Sometimes I fantasize about the AON tower being pulled right up from Chicago and dropped in Dallas right around where the Dallas aquarium is. I think it would make the skyline absolutely perfect. But that of course, is just a dream.
Only time will tell.

#standwithrand

Old September 16th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #479
jonathaninATX

Crow Holdings Expanding its Old Parkland Campus

Quote:
By CHRISTINE PEREZ September13th, 2012 2:11pm

With existing buildings at full occupancy, Crow Holdings has begun work on an 110,000-square-foot addition to Old Parkland, its exclusive office campus off the Dallas North Tollway at Oak Lawn and Maple avenues. Three new buildings will be developed on the west side of the project.

Construction has already begun on an underground parking garage; next up is development of two of the planned buildings. Parkland Hall will total about 50,000 square feet; Commonwealth Hall will total about 30,000 square feet. A third, to-be-named office building will also total about 30,000 square feet and will be built after the first two fill up.

Construction is expected to take about 18 months. Beck Architecture is designer on the project. The general contractor for the parking component is Brasfield & Gorrie. The construction contract for the office buildings has not yet been awarded.
http://realpoints.dmagazine.com/2012...rkland-campus/
Old September 19th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #480
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Dallas Parkland Hospital well underway.

image hosted on flickr

Parklandia, Dallas by C Troy Mathis, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
addison, allen, arlington, carrollton, cedar hill, dallas, denton, design district, downtown, farmers branch, flower mound, frisco, garland, grand prairie, grapevine, highland park, irving, las colinas, lewisville, mckinney, mesquite, north dallas, plano, preston, preston hollow, richardson, suburban development news, texas, uptown, victory