LONDON - Stamford Bridge (41,631 -> 60,000) - Page 13 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Proposed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 16th, 2015, 01:29 PM   #241
mckeenan

Likes (Received): 694

Great news! It was clear that the most straightforward decission was to tear down the whole thing and start from zero. Redeveloping only one of the stands would be very expensive, and capacity wouldn't be increased that much. I'm eager to see some renders.

Alanzeh liked this post
mckeenan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2015, 01:37 PM   #242
JimB

Likes (Received): 7499

If the £500m figure is remotely accurate, Abramovich's overall investment in Chelsea will rapidly be heading towards £2 billion! Quite phenomenal. Nigh on impossible to compete against it unless you're Man City or Man Utd.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 01:59 PM   #243
Bigcat

Likes (Received): 81

As you say it is an investment, the new ground will pay itself off in 15 years. As for Abramovich, he replaced his loans to Chelsea with equity in the club. The clubs value has soared over the last 10 years, with a new stadium and TV deal it is going to keep increasing. So on asset level he isn't as out of pocket as some may think.

Obviously Chelsea had an advantage having this investment up front, helping them break from a top 4 side into a European contender
Bigcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2015, 02:34 PM   #244
NaijaSwag
Hanging the boots up

Likes (Received): 2998

Can't wait for the new stadium....and complement it with a statue of drogba

Last edited by RMB2007; June 16th, 2015 at 03:30 PM.
NaijaSwag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 02:45 PM   #245
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat View Post
As you say it is an investment, the new ground will pay itself off in 15 years. As for Abramovich, he replaced his loans to Chelsea with equity in the club. The clubs value has soared over the last 10 years, with a new stadium and TV deal it is going to keep increasing. So on asset level he isn't as out of pocket as some may think.

Obviously Chelsea had an advantage having this investment up front, helping them break from a top 4 side into a European contender
Absolutely. I didn't mean to suggest that he's wasted his money. I'm merely staggered by his overall contribution. Think where you are now, where you might be in ten years - especially with a new stadium - and where you could have been had he not ridden in like a white knight to rescue you at the eleventh hour (answer: quite possibly in the Championship / League One wilderness for the past ten years, like Leeds!).

Bigcat liked this post
Old June 16th, 2015, 04:24 PM   #246
stingrayj

Likes (Received): 16

anyone care to knock up a mock up of how this could work. presume West Stand kept, others will go, pitch lowered. Surely have to go over railtrack at rear too?
stingrayj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 04:35 PM   #247
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingrayj View Post
anyone care to knock up a mock up of how this could work. presume West Stand kept, others will go, pitch lowered. Surely have to go over railtrack at rear too?
Not me. I don't know how to knock up a mock up.

I can't even fetch up a SketchUp.

Laurence2011 liked this post
Old June 16th, 2015, 05:21 PM   #248
AstroBiont

Likes (Received): 887

Today's Guardian article:

Quote:
Chelsea may have to vacate Stamford Bridge for at least two seasons

*Redevelopment to 60,000 seat Stamford Bridge may take toll

*Abramovich’s £500m project could involve digging below street level

*Stamford Bridge may be going underground as Chelsea look to expand their fanbase.

Tuesday 16 June 2015 10.48 BST

Chelsea’s plans to redevelop Stamford Bridge into a 60,000-seat stadium could see them play their home matches elsewhere for at least two seasons should the go-ahead be given for work to begin on their home of 110 years.

The Premier League champions are to reveal proposals to residents and fans at an exhibition at the stadium running from 30 June to 2 July. The consultation meeting will include an explanation of “the rationale for expansion”, with Chelsea, who are restricted by a site comprising around 12 acres when around 20 acres would normally be required for a stadium of the proposed size, likely to build over the adjacent railway tracks. They are also considering digging below street level.

The cost of the project, which would increase the capacity from 41,798 and effectively allow the club to house a new generation of younger fans, could stretch to £500m, which the owner, Roman Abramovich, would have to meet. Chelsea could rebuild the arena piece by piece, a project which could drag on for three or four seasons while the team continue to play at there, but are more likely to seek to undertake the extensive redevelopment all at once with the team temporarily moving out.

Early estimates suggest they would need to find an alternative ground for at least two seasons.

Twickenham has been mentioned as a venue and discussions have taken place with Ian Ritchie, the chief executive of the Rugby Football Union, though there are likely to be objections from residents at the prospect of regular matches at the stadium. Wembley is another option the club would explore, though it would not be feasible under Brent council’s existing policy.

Chelsea, who have been in regular contact with their council, are aware this remains a long-term project which could take years to come to fruition. They had considered building at Earl’s Court and White City, and were attracted to the prospect of redeveloping Battersea power station to create an iconic ground incorporating the existing building on the south bank of the Thames. However, those plans have long since been frustrated, with the club having now accepted there are no suitable sites available in south-west London for them to pursue.

Abramovich commissioned a study of the area from Fulham Broadway to Stamford Bridge and beyond to examine the possibilities of upgrading the streetscape as well as the stadium. “The study also began to assess the feasibility of an expansion of the stadium capacity within the existing historical site boundary, based on the principles of improving site access, benefiting the neighbourhood and enhancing the spectator experience,” said the club in a statement. “Mr Abramovich has appointed a professional team to assess, in more detail, the feasibility of expanding the existing stadium capacity at Stamford Bridge grounds.

“The process now enters a further local consultation phase. This will include an explanation of the rationale for expansion, driven by spectator demand for more seats and the need to increase stadium revenue to remain competitive with our major rivals, this revenue being especially important under financial fair play rules. Technical solutions for stadium capacity expansion are being investigated initially.

“This stage of the consultation will focus at present on discussing the rationale and technical solutions for expansion with residents and match-going spectators. Local stakeholders, neighbours, season ticket holders and club members will be invited to comment on the potential expansion. This feedback, which to date has assisted our progress in earlier stages, will continue to inform the next stage of the study.” The exhibition, which would allow fans and residents to ask questions of potential development ideas, is to be housed in the stadium’s east stand.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/...tamford-bridge

So the "exhibition" (exhibiting what, exactly? Images?) taking place in the East Stand will run from 30 June to 2 July, during which "the Premier League champions are to reveal proposals" and will "allow fans and residents to ask questions of potential development ideas" including - based on the previously-quoted statement on the Club's website - discussions of "technical solutions for expansion" - could that mean that significant information about the design - at least its principles and details, if not actual images - will be revealed to fans?

Also, the Stamford Bridge site will have to sqeeze a 60,000-capacity stadium into an area of only around 12 acres - when normally around 20 acres would be required for a stadium of the proposed size. As has been mentioned, that should mean stands which are close to the pitch and have steep rakes, which will be good for fans, but could it also mean very tight legroom?

Regarding a mock-up, I don't think that we have nearly enough info at this stage to even guess about what the stadium could look like, but - based on the idea that the West Stand could remain - this fan render from many years ago, which envisages the West Stand extended all around the stadium to give a capacity claimed to be 55,800, is perhaps the closest that we have at present - although it doesn't show the extended roof that would be required if the seating banks were dug down at the front, and I'm certain that a Herzog & de Meuron design wouldn't look anything like this naff nineties design in its external aesthetics. An early HdM design for a stadium boxed in by railway lines is St Jakob-Park in Basel, but according to their Wikipedia entry they've moved away from such functionalist design towards more spectacular and iconic aesthetics. Quote: "Their formal gestures have generally progressed from the purist simplicity of rectangular forms to more complex and dynamic geometries" (see my earlier post, #178, on page 9 of this thread).

a Google Sketchup fan render from 2007 or earlier, showing an expanded stadium based on extending the West Stand design around all sides

Herzog & de Meuron's early Sankt Jakob-Park (38,512) expansion - check out the steep rakes of these tiers, as well as the posts - which surely won't feature at Stamford Bridge

edit: It seems, according to today's Daily Mail article, that Chelsea could easily play the whole season at Wembley for the entire duration of the time it takes to redevelop Stamford Bridge, which could be two or three years, as long as most matches are limited to a 50,000 capacity restriction. Also according to this article, such a redevelopment could be many years away - although no details are given as to the rationale for this closing statement:

Quote:
A Brent Council spokesperson said: 'Wembley is limited to 37 "major" events at its full capacity of 90,000 spectators each year, but minor events which have spectators in the bottom two tiers only and a capacity of up to 50,000, are not capped.'
Quote:
...with appropriate planning, the Blues could even open up the upper tier for games with enough demand for tickets.
Quote:
A move to Twickenham, where there have been preliminary talks with the RFU, seems unlikely given the opposition from the rugby world and local residents to hosting football at their HQ.

That leaves Wembley as the most likely option and with the limit on events not as much of an issue as first thought, Chelsea could make it their new home - although that stage is thought to be years away yet.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...velopment.html

If the redevelopment of Stamford Bridge is still years away yet, could that potentially mean Chelsea taking up residence at Wembley immediately following Spurs vacating the stadium? (Assuming that Spurs do indeed play at Wembley during part of the time when the new White Hart Lane is under construction.)

Mourinho has just stated in an impromptu interview at the Queens tennis championship on the BBC that expansion to 60-61,000 is the "next stage" for Chelsea and that he has no preference between Wembley and Twickenham during the rebuild, but trusts Abramovich and leaves these decisions to others.

Last edited by AstroBiont; June 16th, 2015 at 07:10 PM.
AstroBiont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 06:41 PM   #249
Alanzeh

Likes (Received): 291

In a move to Wembley, can be done an capacity of 50,000 fans to regular season games as PL and UCL group stages, and the whole capacity to the UCL knockout.

Very anxious to see the HdM design. Specially after the masterpiece in Bordeaux (Allianz Arena and St. Jakob Park are also some of my favorite stadiums)
"It's rather naive to speak about other men's criminal actions. You just have not lived their situation.I think that under given circumstances I could also act in a way that I might usually condamm. That's the human fate: only on the limits we see how far humanity goes"
Haneke, MICHAEL
Alanzeh está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 07:02 PM   #250
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 23920

I think they'll keep the exterior fairly neutral, so maybe something like their second failed design for the Bernabeu:

Then use a subtle exterior lighting scheme to highlight the stadium in Chelsea's main colour.

George Costanza liked this post
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #251
Hammers54

Likes (Received): 204

If AstroBiont is correct, and i don't doubt it, why aren't Spurs pursuing this 50k option? Perhaps they are!
Hammers54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:52 PM   #252
RobH

Likes (Received): 16965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammers54 View Post
If AstroBiont is correct, and i don't doubt it, why aren't Spurs pursuing this 50k option? Perhaps they are!
The 50k Wembley option has been known about for a while. And I'm fairly certain Spurs have been talking to the FA about this already. Latest murmurings suggest scheduling could be a problem, however. If that is the issue, rather than cost, then Chelsea will have the same problem.
Old June 16th, 2015, 10:44 PM   #253
mckeenan

Likes (Received): 694

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB2007 View Post
I think they'll keep the exterior fairly neutral, so maybe something like their second failed design for the Bernabeu:

Then use a subtle exterior lighting scheme to highlight the stadium in Chelsea's main colour.
Given the club tradition and character, I expect something extremely british and classy. I don't think that they'll go for a super-modern bulbous exterior.
mckeenan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #254
RobH

Likes (Received): 16965

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeenan View Post
Given the club tradition and character, I expect something extremely british and classy.
I think that's my cue to head back to the WHL thread....
Old June 16th, 2015, 11:32 PM   #255
mrparkersdogbite

Likes (Received): 345

Quote:
Given the club tradition and character, I expect something extremely british and classy. I don't think that they'll go for a super-modern bulbous exterior.
As an truly international club at the heart of a world city I hope we go for something absolutely unique, beautiful and iconic.
mrparkersdogbite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 11:37 PM   #256
EPA001

Likes (Received): 11001

Quote:
Well, look at what their hired architects have delivered when it comes to stadiums. Allianz Arena, the Birds Nest, the new Bordeaux Stadium, all great and modern looking stadiums which do not really resemble anything "extremely British". Their designs do reflect a high level of class though.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan

alexandru.mircea liked this post
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 12:04 AM   #257
kiwi1691

Likes (Received): 66

This is being sent out to fans

https:// imgur.com/a/Y7UG8

(I still have too few posts to have the link, so just remove the spaces and the link should work )
kiwi1691 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 12:54 AM   #258
EPA001

Likes (Received): 11001

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi1691 View Post
This is being sent out to fans

https:// imgur.com/a/Y7UG8

(I still have too few posts to have the link, so just remove the spaces and the link should work )
The space in your link is incorrect and indeed you must have 10 posts to post a link. The link works when you click on this link (without the space): https://imgur.com/a/Y7UG8
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan

kiwi1691 liked this post
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 05:08 AM   #259
AstroBiont

Below is my transcription of the relevant text from the consultation invitation, which is presented in the images linked above:

Quote:
The story of STAMFORD Bridge

so far...

First opened in 1877, by 1905 the Stamford Bridge stadium capacity was expanded to 85,000 people

In 1935 the then largest league attendance of 82,905 was recorded

1945 saw the largest ever attendance at the stadium, at an estimated 120,000 spectators

First venue in the country to achieve an average attendance of 40,000

STAMFORD Bridge GROUNDS

PROPOSED STADIUM EXPANSION

THE STORY SO FAR

The stadium at Stamford Bridge has been part of our neighbourhood for almost 140 years. It is the oldest major stadium in continuous use in the world. Today, the current capacity is 41,000 people with virtually all seats sold out for games since 2003.

WHY EXPAND?

An expanded capacity is needed for two reasons: spectator demand and changing football regulations.

The are 54 larger stadia across Europe and 14 larger stadia in the UK which includes 5 larger stadia in London, built or under construction.

SPECTATOR DEMAND

The existing stadium capacity of 41,000 seats can no longer cater for all those who want to watch a game, particularly younger and local supporters. Younger supporters cannot easily obtain tickets.

* There is currently space for a total of 127 disabled spectators and their carers; the proposals will provide the opportunity for more disabled spectators to attend and enjoy better views

* There are currently no seats specifically for local residents; the proposals would aim to introduce an important category of seats for local residents

* There are currently only 1,345 season tickets for children; the proposals would more than double this number

* There are currently 100,000 Club members but only 8,000 match tickets available for members; the proposals would make more tickets available

CHANGING FOOTBALL REGULATIONS

The financial regulations set by UEFA, known as 'Financial Fair Play', require football clubs to link their expenditure to their income. If a club cannot keep pace with its competitors' rising income levels then it may be unable to compete at the highest level.

There are three principal categories of operating income: television broadcast rights, sponsorship and stadium match day revenue.

Broadcasting rights are shared equitably between the clubs in the Premier League in England. Commercial sponsorship is based on sporting success.

Therefore the major opportunity for clubs to increase their revenue is matchday income and this is why so many clubs are moving to larger stadia.

Since 2003 season ticket and general admission prices have been kept stable at Stamford Bridge which means that, in real terms, the cost of watching football at the stadium has reduced year on year.

HOW MIGHT A STADIUM EXPANSION BE ACHIEVED?

The historical site of Stamford Bridge presents a special challenge as our neighbourhood has developed over the last 140 years around the stadium. Any proposal to expand the capacity must therefore respect the historic site boundaries and our neighbourhood.

A key element of the proposals is completing the direct link between Fulham Broadway Underground station and the stadium.

In 2002 Fulham Broadway Underground station was redeveloped and a new dedicated stadium exit was constructed to take passengers from the platforms to street level. These dedicated staircases were designed to be linked to a pedestrian walkway over the railway cutting leading directly to the stadium.

The new platform exits have been used successfully since their opening; it is now proposed to complete the construction of this walkway over the railway cutting to directly link the station with the stadium.

WHAT DOES AN EXPANDED STADIUM CAPACITY MEAN FOR OUR NEIGHBOURHOOD?

The proposal to increase the capacity of the stadium will not affect the number of match days per year, which will remain unchanged.

On match days better management of spectators in the streets can be achieved by reducing the number of people on Fulham Road. This is achieved by providing the new access directly to the stadium from Fulham Broadway underground station and access to the site from Stamford Bridge itself.

On non matchdays the proposed stadium expansion would increase the number of visitors to our neighbourhood throughout the year, which would benefit the local economy. Additionally there would be an increase in both part-time and permanenet employment locally.

INVITING YOU TO A CONSULTATION AND REQUESTING YOUR FEEDBACK

Your consultation commenced with local groups in May 2014. The purpose of this phase of the consultation is to give neighbours and spectators the opportunity to comment on the current outline proposals

Members of the professional team will attend the consultation to discuss the proposals and answer your questions

WHEN:

Tuesday 30th June

Wednesday 1st July

Thursday 2nd July

DAILY 12.00 NOON - 8.00PM

WHERE:

East Stand Reception, Stamford Bridge Stadium,
Stamford Bridge Grounds, Fulham Road SW6 1HS

Your feedback is kindly requested.
Please send all comments to [email protected]

Thank You!

NOW A LITTLE WHILE AGO I DREAMED A MOST AMAZING DREAM
IT TICKLED ME TO DEATH WHEN I WOKE UP.
NOW YOU KNOW JUST HOW IMPOSSIBLE THE THINGS WE DREAM OF ARE-
WELL I DREAMED THAT CHELSEA WENT AND WON THE CUP.
OF COURSE AS A RESULT OF AN ASTONISHING THING LIKE THIS,
A HOST OF OTHER STRANGE EVENTS OCCURRED.

Norman Long

Btw, the above quote - which was written and performed by a music hall comedian from the Thirties - can't be a very famous one, since the search term "now a little while ago I dreamed a most amazing dream" only returns one Google result (at least it did until now): it's not quite a Googlewhack term though, cos it's in quotes and includes more than two words.
Old June 17th, 2015, 10:32 PM   #260
AstroBiont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat View Post
By the very nature of the site, the new ground is going to be very compact, as steep as regulations will allow and one assumes tight to the pitch. This can only be a good thing.

Let the speculation begin!!
Quote:
...I expect something extremely british and classy. I don't think that they'll go for a super-modern bulbous exterior.
I agree with these statements where they refer, respectively, to the possible interior and exterior design of the new stadium. My speculation, based on virtually no information - and therefore most likely to be laughably wrong, is as follows:

Attempting to read the tealeaves, based on the tone of the consultation invitation shown in the linked images from a couple of posts back - which for me is redolent of "traditional", and considering that HdM like to work with local artists and to "channel" the local environs of their projects, I imagine that the new stadium will seek to be "classy" rather than innovative and spectacular in the vein of the Bird's Nest - but I could never see HdM reducing themselves to a sort of faux Georgian aesthetic, so I imagine that this "channeling" could result in a stadium which is tall (which would also fit well with it requiring very steep stands internally) and rectilinear with narrow classical proportions (inspired by the terraced multiple storey townhouse mansions of the area) - perhaps slighly similar in some ways to their recent Bordeaux stadium, but without the "open plan" exterior. I can't see them proposing something very curvy or ovoid in its overall shape, as I doubt that would fit in well with the local architecture - although the previous expansion study did indicate that an oval ground plan would be the optimum shape for the site, and HdM may be reluctant to go with something too reminiscent of their most recent stadium project. If the ground plan were to be oval rather than rectangular in form, then I imagine that the elevated external aesthetic could be a little reminiscent of a more modern Luzhniki or Berlin Olympiastadion, with lots of narrow regular linear features - but I seriously doubt that there would be anything resembling traditional or retro features, I don't think that's HdM's style - and if Chelsea had wanted something faux traditional then I guess they would have appointed Populous - one of whose specialisms is retro baseball grounds. On the other hand, I imagine that anything too spectacular and innovative might be thought to be out of character with its environs, which could attract a lot of local opposition, and I imagine that they are the kind of community that can't easily be steamrollered by a developer - even a Russian billionaire Oligarch, so HdM may be slightly constrained by that. I do have a feeling, though, that what I have described is not nearly imaginative enough for the likes of HdM, and that they - creative geniuses that they are - whose "success can be attributed to their skills in revealing unfamiliar or unknown relationships by utilizing innovative materials" - will come up with something completely unique, beautiful and surprising.

mckeenan, cyril sneer liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
london, stadiums