Crowtree Leisure Centre Demolition | Sunderland | Completed - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Completed Projects

Completed Projects From all North East England Sub-forum Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #1
eaim

Likes (Received): 416

Crowtree Leisure Centre Demolition | Sunderland | Completed

Crowtree Leisure Centre

Looks like something is going on behind the scene regarding Crowtree, don't know if it involves The Bridge's or not, But the council are offering alternative venues to interested parties who still use it.

Let's hope so things develop quickly.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; November 27th, 2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Copied over from 'Sunderland Leisure' Thread
eaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #2
Le Chuck

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaim View Post
Looks like something is going on behind the scene regarding Crowtree, don't know if it involves The Bridge's or not, But the council are offering alternative venues to interested parties who still use it. Let's hope so things develop quickly.
whats still left in crowtree? as the pool & ice rink are no more.
There'll be a gym, which its replacement at the aquatic centre also has, what else?
Le Chuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #3
eaim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chuck View Post
There'll be a gym, which its replacement at the aquatic centre also has, what else?
Can't really say incase they get into bother, you know how petty the council can get if things leak out, lets just say there are still some groups of people that use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #4
br5968

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chuck View Post
According to the Council website

Quote:
Squash
We are home to Crowtree Squash Club.
Gymnastics
Sessions will help improve balance, co-ordination and flexibility.
Trampolining
With expert instruction in a fun and safe environment, our sessions cater for all levels and capabilities.
Afternoon Tea Dance
Our afternoon tea dance is a very popular activity with the residents of Sunderland. It's a great way to get out and about, meet new friends, stay in touch and keep active.
Bowls Hall
The Centre has 8 indoor bowls rinks which are available for hire and are also the home of Sunderland Indoor Bowls Club.
Karate
The Centre is home to the Sunderland Sendai Karate Club and caters for all levels from beginners to advanced black belts.
Birthday Parties
The centre offers a great mix of parties for all ages.
Room Hire
The centres customers can hire rooms/areas for exclusive use (self catering).
Do SAFC still use the old ice rink area?

I spent a good deal of my childhood at Crowtree, so I'd be sad to see it go, but realistically, it's so run-down now it'd be no great loss. Let's hope with Primark completed, Land Securities are turning their attention to the next extension.
br5968 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:04 PM   #5
kingdom bhoy

Likes (Received): 1065

Sad to hear that Crowtree Leisure Centre is to demolished soon. I suppose it been on the cards for a while now due to local government cuts and the fact that it has been allowed to be run down. Sadly another piece of Sunderland history gone.
kingdom bhoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:20 PM   #6
denm

Likes (Received): 2710

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdom bhoy View Post
Sad to hear that Crowtree Leisure Centre is to demolished soon. I suppose it been on the cards for a while now due to local government cuts and the fact that it has been allowed to be run down. Sadly another piece of Sunderland history gone.
There has been rumours of it being demolished for some time, ----but I haven't read anything official, ---where have you heard this mate?
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #7
eaim

The latest that i've heard is that Crowtree will shut on March 31st, things could be happening / announced soon me thinks.
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #8
denm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaim View Post
The latest that i've heard is that Crowtree will shut on March 31st, things could be happening / announced soon me thinks.
Yes think you could be right mate, --I have heard similar regarding an announcement, ---and if true, --lets hope there is news of a Development/s to follow, --and would be good if another (maybe smaller) Leisure Centre would be built, ---maybe on part of the Holmeside?
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #9
denm

This from the Sunderland Echo, --

The end of Crowtree – Sunderland leisure centre finally to close Crowtree Leisure Centre, Sunderland

Published on Friday 8 February 2013 09:34

TIME’S up for Crowtree.

Council bosses have finally confirmed the massive leisure centre is to close later this year, with the city centre site earmarked for development.

Crowtree has been closed to the general public since October 2011, though it is still used by several clubs and organisations for block bookings and the council has pledged to work with them to help find new homes.

Cabinet secretary Coun Mel Spedding said the centre would close in the spring, though it was too soon to set a definitive date.

“There is a process to go through in terms of a date for that,” he said.

“Essentially, what we are doing to preparing the way for private sector investment in the city centre.”

Read more http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/l...lose-1-5391387
Old March 8th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #10
denm

Vote to take place on future of Crowtree Leisure Centre Crowtree Leisure Centre, Sunderland

Published on Friday 8 March 2013 06:55

CITY councillors will vote on the axing of Crowtree Leisure Centre next week.

The Echo revealed last month that plans are in place to demolish most of the 40-year-old centre to free the land for development.

A report on the process to appoint contractors, lansdcaping plans and the disposal of the site will go before the city council’s cabinet on Wednesday.

Cabinet secretary Coun Mel Speding said: “This report outlines how the Crowtree site will create a development opportunity for retail and other suitable city centre uses.

“The report notes how this development opportunity is part of the council’s ongoing plans for improving the economic performance of the city centre as outlined in our Economic Masterplan.”

If the proposals get the thumbs-up, work could start in May and be completed by the end of the year.

Read more http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/v...ntre-1-5477067
Old March 9th, 2013, 02:29 AM   #11
YorkshireMackem

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by denm View Post

Vote to take place on future of Crowtree Leisure Centre Crowtree Leisure Centre, Sunderland

Published on Friday 8 March 2013 06:55

CITY councillors will vote on the axing of Crowtree Leisure Centre next week.

The Echo revealed last month that plans are in place to demolish most of the 40-year-old centre to free the land for development.

A report on the process to appoint contractors, lansdcaping plans and the disposal of the site will go before the city council’s cabinet on Wednesday.

Cabinet secretary Coun Mel Speding said: “This report outlines how the Crowtree site will create a development opportunity for retail and other suitable city centre uses.

“The report notes how this development opportunity is part of the council’s ongoing plans for improving the economic performance of the city centre as outlined in our Economic Masterplan.”

If the proposals get the thumbs-up, work could start in May and be completed by the end of the year.

Read more http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/v...ntre-1-5477067
The Land Securities portfolio manager who covers the Bridges, Gerald Jennings, was quoted in Property Week magazine recently saying that they are looking at expanding into Crowtree and creating a restaurant/food court in this area.

I can't link to the article as its subscriber only, unfortunately.

I think you'll see the likes of Pizza Express, Cafe Rouge, Bella Italia, TGI Fridays and Wagamama as part of this development. Its a really good opportunity to open up views on to the Minster Quarter and link into the footfall from the Empire.
YorkshireMackem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #12
denm

Good news that the Bridges will be expanding into that particular part of Crowtree, --and reading both YMs and horokeio's posts regarding food areas/courts ---this reminds me of a shopping mall in Edinburgh called Waverly's, --it had a large area of various food outlets, --and a large sit down area, --wonder if this will be similar.
Old March 9th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #13
br5968

Likes (Received): 127

I think a restautant area would work well in this location. After all,

- Do we really need more retail space in the city centre? Unless we could attract House of Fraser or John Lewis (both unlikely) any anchor would likely be moving from elsewhere in the city. M&S have been mentioned for this location and while I'd love a larger store in sunderland, it'd be the death knell for High Street West. Given Primarks recent move and the fact we've already got Debenhams, I stuggle to think which retailer could anchor an extension at that end.

- As others have said, we lack chain restaurants one would expect to find in a city our size. This location, near the uni, theatre, couple of hotels and proposed business quarter would be ideal. It's a shame Sunniside Leisure hasnt had higher occupancy but it's in the wrong place IMHO.

- If the BID gets the green light and goes for an extended hours 'alive after five' type of campaign, a food offer in the Bridges would be really complimentary.

My only caveats are:

- it needs to be a cafe rouge/pizza express offer rather than a spud-u-like/harry ramsdens type of thing. More like what's around old Eldon square now rather than the old food court they had where Debenhams now is. Doesn't have to be really upmarket. Wagamama would do well with the Uni market, for instance. NOT another Wetherspoons, please...

- I've long thought some restaurants facing the minster and green at the back of the Crowtree site would be great, but given it's only the northern half of Crowtree (the pool side of the walkway) that's being demolished, that arrangemebt wouldnt be possible as the almshouses are in the way. That said, you could create a pleasant row overlooking the old fire station - though this area will get busier when they re-route the access to the roof top car park past the Empire to create the Magistrates square.

On a related point, given the south end of Crowtree looks set to stay, hope they clad it or do something to disguise how bloody ugly it is. S106?
br5968 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #14
denm

We could see the start of part Demolition in a few months time, ----this from the Sunderland Echo, --

Crowtree demolition plans approved Crowtree Leisure Centre, Sunderland

Published on Thursday 14 March 2013 07:00

COUNCILLORS have given the go-ahead to demolish Crowtree Leisure Centre.

The 40-year-old venue is set to be knocked down in the coming months as part of plans to free up land in Sunderland city centre for development.

Yesterday, members of Sunderland City Council’s cabinet voted on a report which outlined the process to appoint contractors, landscaping plans and the disposal of the site.

Work could now start as early as May and be completed by the end of the year.

Read more http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/b...oved-1-5495791
Old March 16th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #15
horokeio

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by denm View Post
We could see the start of part Demolition in a few months time, ----this from the Sunderland Echo, --

Crowtree demolition plans approved Crowtree Leisure Centre, Sunderland

Published on Thursday 14 March 2013 07:00

COUNCILLORS have given the go-ahead to demolish Crowtree Leisure Centre.

The 40-year-old venue is set to be knocked down in the coming months as part of plans to free up land in Sunderland city centre for development.

Yesterday, members of Sunderland City Council’s cabinet voted on a report which outlined the process to appoint contractors, landscaping plans and the disposal of the site.

Work could now start as early as May and be completed by the end of the year.

Read more http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/b...oved-1-5495791

I think the idea of demolishing half on Crowtree is fairly ridiculous. What is housed in the reprieved half that is worth keeping exactly? Get rid and start afresh.
horokeio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #16
denm

Quote:
Originally Posted by horokeio View Post
I think the idea of demolishing half on Crowtree is fairly ridiculous. What is housed in the reprieved half that is worth keeping exactly? Get rid and start afresh.

Don't think there is anything worth keeping horokeio, ---but the owners of the Bridges reported to be interested in expanding into that part of the Crowtree, --and there is talk of creating a possible food court/area --with Cafes / Restaurants and maybe some shops, --suppose we will find out soon enough.
Old March 28th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #17
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1190

FWIW a number of employees from TR [whatever that might be] are being moved from Crowtree to the Silksworth site
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #18
denm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
FWIW a number of employees from TR [whatever that might be] are being moved from Crowtree to the Silksworth site
Thanks for this info, ----I don't know what TR means either, --maybe something to do with Recreation?---but I imagine there will be a few different sections that will move, --think some people are not very happy --such as the Squash players, --don't know if they have found other courts in the City for them, ---but as for the Centre, --seems as though the Crowtree could be empty within 5/6 weeks. cheers.
Old March 29th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #19
denm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
Upstairs in the main building, the loft will be converted to offices. I have probably flagged this on here before but KPMG are looking for expressions of interest.

If it stays 'in house' i would expect reduced opening hours [possibly as far as the way Crowtree appeared to operate - effectively open on demand]. It has been chronically overstaffed for a number of years - so any cost saving would probably depend on whether they could redeploy staff.
Yeah think you have mentioned this before, ---so wonder what KPMG recommendation's have come up with, ---suppose we will find out soon enough, ----also hoping for possible start of Demolition on the Northern part of Crowtree later this year, --cheers.
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #20
pablofantango

Likes (Received): 283

Looks like the bridges is getting ready for Crowtree getting pulled down. They have covered up the large sky lights in the new mall next to debenhams.

http://db.tt/t748JjcP
pablofantango no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
demolition, project, project - sunderland area, projects, sunderland