#Mike's Sports Building Development - 4F - CBD | Under Construction - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Regional Development and Discussion > Western Cape > Cape Town > Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 8th, 2018, 09:22 AM   #101
JohanSA

Likes (Received): 543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorus View Post
True. Definitely not an architect and glad I'm not one in this country given the lack of imagination emanating from tertiary institutions. And yet here you are: an elitist snob that is so far up your own a**, yet no half interesting work to show for it...The plan for this heritage building is clearly disconnected from its sensitive location. Seems I'm not the only NIMBY (another elitist architect jargon that belongs in the stone age) to think so...so yeah, we still get an ear from the council we vote in. Now maybe someone will listen to us regarding the BoKaap. Hope that cleavered, my clever up for you.
I think I just read the slowest come back in history... only two and half years late. This thread will be hotting up come 2020!!
Twitter, Instagram : @JohanTTBlom
JohanSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2018, 09:25 AM   #102
Lydon

Likes (Received): 6523

Old March 8th, 2018, 11:43 AM   #103
SA BOY
South Straddie QLD

Likes (Received): 604

well some of these nimbys are old and cantankerous and are complaining about the fact the NP is still not in power and there is shopping on a sunday
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2018, 01:46 PM   #104
Foxyman

Likes (Received): 1951

I think that the works going on now are minor and likely to just be a refresh of the building as is and attract tenants - they wouldnt be doing this if the development was imminent so I think this one is on the back burner (hopefully I am wrong)
Foxyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2018, 05:13 PM   #105
aurorus

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA BOY View Post
well some of these nimbys are old and cantankerous and are complaining about the fact the NP is still not in power and there is shopping on a sunday
Are you serious? Most commentators on this platform here are white males and some have called Bo-Kaap residents NIMBYS. Maybe you are unaware of this, but the residents of the Bo-Kaap have a long history of resistance to the Nats.(I mean I even feel my IQ lowering just explaining this to you) Or are you labelling the Melck family as NP supporters...you maybe want to Google that before you make silly statements and embarrass yourself ???
aurorus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2018, 05:52 PM   #106
SAMOHT

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Are you serious? Most commentators on this platform here are white males and some have called Bo-Kaap residents NIMBYS. Maybe you are unaware of this, but the residents of the Bo-Kaap have a long history of resistance to the Nats.(I mean I even feel my IQ lowering just explaining this to you) Or are you labelling the Melck family as NP supporters...you maybe want to Google that before you make silly statements and embarrass yourself ???

Really? Really? This has nothing to do with the Bo-Kaap - maybe should should go back into the threads and see what's it about.
SAMOHT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 12:48 PM   #107
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMOHT View Post
Really? Really? This has nothing to do with the Bo-Kaap - maybe should should go back into the threads and see what's it about.
Yip, and one does not need to be a Nat to be a NIMBY

Bo-Kaap are NIMBYS. i.e. organised and opposed to every and all developments.
Old March 17th, 2018, 06:06 PM   #108
aurorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMOHT View Post
The thread is about Mike Sports Building that is apparently in such a bad state that we must just screw the heritage value and top it with a very insensitive butt ugly addition. Funny that this building borders the Bo-kaap and that the same lame excuses for development above preservation are regurgitated for both. (pls read all for making some individuals rich at the expense of Cape Town's history).This is the economics of self-enrichment above the community. That's how the Mirage wiped out De Waterkant history and how Rhode's House was demolished. How about 15 on Orange with it's tasteful gold pleather couches? The privileged claim the idiocy of preservation. I claim the idiocy of the privileged. If you were truly let loose on this city, it surely be a soulless and ugly place.
Old March 17th, 2018, 06:11 PM   #109
aurorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Yip, and one does not need to be a Nat to be a NIMBY

Bo-Kaap are NIMBYS. i.e. organised and opposed to every and all developments.
Glad the Cape Malays are proud enough to care who and what they are and where their roots are. Imagine Cape Town with no Bo-Kaap? There is no Cape Town without the Bo-Kaap...
Old March 19th, 2018, 11:20 AM   #110
Foxyman

Likes (Received): 1951

Quote:
Glad the Cape Malays are proud enough to care who and what they are and where their roots are. Imagine Cape Town with no Bo-Kaap? There is no Cape Town without the Bo-Kaap...
I agree that Bo-Kaap is an important and valuable heritage resource that needs to be protected but the residents association is obstructive beyond reason, they will not accept any new development and will not even go as far as to consult with developers in good faith when approached to do so, they have consisently raised objections on spurious grounds and been on the losing end as a result. Accordingly I have no sympathy for them.

SAMOHT, Charlesp, Mark Schonrock liked this post
Foxyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2018, 01:01 PM   #111
Marsupalami

Likes (Received): 1000

Also, what does Mikes Sports building have to do with Bo Kaap? - its not in their area.
If they want to show awareness for heritage and community, they should target the sluggish District 6 roll out instead of worrying about stuff that happen in the CBD with an old warehouse that's not getting any love as it currently stands.

SAMOHT liked this post
Marsupalami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2018, 04:23 PM   #112
Charlesp

Likes (Received): 131

The Bo-Kaap residents are behaving like the ACDP did (through Grant Haskin - their Council member) in trying to hinder and stymie the development of the CTICC2. Hopefully the Bo-Kaap resldents,like the ACDP,wll not succeed in derailing this (and other) projects.
Charlesp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 05:18 PM   #113
aurorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxyman View Post
I agree that Bo-Kaap is an important and valuable heritage resource that needs to be protected but the residents association is obstructive beyond reason, they will not accept any new development and will not even go as far as to consult with developers in good faith when approached to do so, they have consisently raised objections on spurious grounds and been on the losing end as a result. Accordingly I have no sympathy for them.

Sounds like a real colonialist approach to development. 'As long as what I say transpires, we'll get along just fine'
Old March 26th, 2018, 05:20 PM   #114
aurorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupalami View Post
Also, what does Mikes Sports building have to do with Bo Kaap? - its not in their area.
If they want to show awareness for heritage and community, they should target the sluggish District 6 roll out instead of worrying about stuff that happen in the CBD with an old warehouse that's not getting any love as it currently stands.
Oh the ignorance *facepalm* What does District Six have to do with Bo-Kaap?
Old March 26th, 2018, 05:30 PM   #115
aurorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesp View Post
The Bo-Kaap residents are behaving like the ACDP did (through Grant Haskin - their Council member) in trying to hinder and stymie the development of the CTICC2. Hopefully the Bo-Kaap resldents,like the ACDP,wll not succeed in derailing this (and other) projects.
Well a Trumpian wall is being built around their suburb and not a very attractive one either. What would you do to protect your economic interests if this was your property? Also the language used on this forum, specifically regarding the Mike Sports Building is that development supersedes heritage. That is total bull. You don't get to make that call for the whole community. Money does not get to bulldoze the community, I am sorry. I feel especially sorry for you if this is how you view architecture. I do believe that school of thought: of economic exclusion, of rampant egomaniac architects... is a thing of the past. Check your privilege.
Old March 26th, 2018, 05:45 PM   #116
Lydon

Likes (Received): 6523

Quote:
Sounds like a real colonialist approach to development. 'As long as what I say transpires, we'll get along just fine'
How do you jump from "consult in good faith" to "as long as I always get my way, we won't have a problem?"

Charlesp liked this post
Lydon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 09:28 PM   #117
SA BOY
South Straddie QLD

oh dear here we go again
Old March 27th, 2018, 09:07 AM   #118
Freecorner

Likes (Received): 59

This thread is derailing quite rapidly.
Freecorner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2018, 10:46 AM   #119
Kaapstad

Likes (Received): 102

Its great to have constructive disagreements on this forum and sure we sometimes have differing opinions... thats okay. It is even possible to read something, feel you disagree with something... and then just scroll on. Its when you force your opinion onto someone else when things get unpleasant.

aurorus... we get it. You feel developers are the devil marginalising the poor and all architects are egomaniacs designing edifices for themselves. You (and most of heritage western cape) would like to see cape town remain as it was circa 1900 in a protected bubble free of economic influences... Paris of the new world. That is how you feel and thats fine. Taking it out on the members here is not. This is a building forum so it shouldnt be a surprise that most of the people here are pro development.

Im not sure what your end game is here, wether your insulting people will open their eyes to your views and get them on your side... and then? We like to talk buildings, some of us like to build buildings... if you are so against whatever developments rather spend your energy taking on your councillor, your city officials etc. Go to the municipal building tribunals and have your say... this is not the forum for what you want.
Old March 27th, 2018, 06:39 PM   #120
SA BOY
South Straddie QLD

well said chom
Advertisement