Metro Manila Mass Rapid Transit System - Page 884 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Railways

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2019, 03:11 PM   #17661
metrosuburban

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Ugh! THere is not one but two persistent trolls in this thread. Time to bring out the ban hammer!
thanks!!! but oh you think they haven't read Complete Idiot's Guide to Reincarnation?
metrosuburban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2019, 04:13 PM   #17662
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 3405

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirRail781 View Post
A bit OT: MTR HK East Rail Line actually has one first class car on each train.

But that wouldn't work with MRT 3, of course.
The MTR East Rail Line more functions as a commuter rail than rapid transit.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

AirRail781 liked this post
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2019, 04:14 PM   #17663
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaPotato View Post
Double decker coaches is nice indeed, but the big issue is how they designed the MRT-3 line.

Double-decker are:
- Heavier (If there is a weight issue with Dalian trains, how much double decker will be?)
- Added height and width which will be a problem with tunnels and adjusting all overhead catenary to accommodate it. Even we can rule out the platform Since I think it's not that expensive to shave off few millimetres like what they did with LRT-1 for Gen 2 trains.
- Turning radius of double decker since they are longer than the standard coaches even on most metro trains. LRVs in MRT-3 are articulated so that's not an issue. We can have the double decker to be articulated, but that complexity will surely even more expensive I guess.

Maybe they can still put one, just don't expect to come as cheap and will still requires major changes to the line. It is really the issue how restrictive the design of MRT-3 really like it is not easy to expand beyond what they are now except for adding coaches into 4 max.

The best way they can really do with the existing infrastructure is to maximise the 4-car config and make the interval time between trains at least 2 minutes or less. MM Subway will be severing the CBDs that that the MRT-3 mostly serve except for Cubao, so eventually its overcrowded issue alongside with the maximise utility of the line will solve irself without major changes to its infrastructure. MRT-3 is fated to be just a supplementary to MM Subway if everything goes well in the future.

Just my 2 cents.
A double decker rapid transit rolling stock? I have not heard of any metro that has one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2019, 04:46 PM   #17664
sean911

Likes (Received): 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila-X View Post
A double decker rapid transit rolling stock? I have not heard of any metro that has one.

Sydney has them running around the city. The ones iíve been on runs mostly underground or at-grade. Not sure if they run these overhead. Theyíre big and costly to construct.

For high volume/short distance trips, i think itíll be easier to run single deck trains faster and more frequent than have people go up or down steps and sit to get on and off.

MegaPotato liked this post
sean911 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2019, 04:47 PM   #17665
Ekoy

Likes (Received): 1394

Quote:

Sydney

MegaPotato liked this post
Ekoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2019, 04:47 PM   #17666
MegaPotato

Likes (Received): 327

Quote:
Sydney uses it, especially in Circle Line which is in the CBD. Though NSW uses double decker trains as a commuter and for metro, but it is leaning little more for commuter. The pure rapid transit is the newly built Sydney Metro which is mostly subway line.

But double decker layout is not as efficient as the more standard rolling stock used for most metros. Though in Sydney, double decker coaches do have side-facing seats to accommodate more passengers and meant for who will aboard and alight quickly. Passengers who have their destinations on longer distances will simply go to double-decker section of the car. But Sydney have way lower population than Metro Manila, so yeah.

Tokyo also uses double decker cars on some of its coaches (Green car).
MegaPotato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2019, 04:57 PM   #17667
MegaPotato

Likes (Received): 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean911 View Post
Sydney has them running around the city. The ones iíve been on runs mostly underground or at-grade. Not sure if they run these overhead. Theyíre big and costly to construct.

For high volume/short distance trips, i think itíll be easier to run single deck trains faster and more frequent than have people go up or down steps and sit to get on and off.

Sydney do not have fully elevated lines as far as I know, just at-grade but many do are above ground, likely due to avoid the steam and smoke to residences along its routes during the age of steam. If they have viaducts, it is short and bulky that looks like it can really carry the heavy weight of freight trains sharing the tracks on the line. Australia's train network is really best for freight especially coals. I hope that Philippines will have an extensive freight network so we can reduce the amount of trucks in the road and make freight cost cheaper.

sean911 liked this post
MegaPotato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2019, 05:01 PM   #17668
nelo--

Likes (Received): 611

Speaking of headway, I was in Moscow a couple of days ago and one thing I've noticed during rush hour, napakaraming tao at napakahaba ng pila papasok sa mga station, pero napakabilis din ng galaw ng pila...

Kase yung headway during rush hour is less than 1 minute. Minsan nga inorasan ko, at 32 secs lng ang inabot bago dumating ang sumunod na train.

Ang tanong, gano ka-posible gawin ito sa MRT3, kahit man lang 1 minute headway? Ano ang kailangan para maging posible ito?

nelo-- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2019, 05:19 PM   #17669
Ekoy

Likes (Received): 1394

[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.skyscrapercity.com/images/smilies/previous.gif[/IMG]
You need to make MRT a loop system.. One train per station any given time plus one train in between station for both clockwise and counterclockwise direction with all stations located roughly same distance from each other.. It is only possible in well planned cities..
Ekoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2019, 06:39 PM   #17670
nelo--

Likes (Received): 611

so, given the current structure of the MRT, what is the shortest possible headway between trains?

How about LRT 1 and 2? Somehow, for LRT 1, it makes me think sinusulit ng LRMC yung passenger capacity ng mga tren, which IMO is bad business and public service strategy.

If they minimize waiting to the least possible time, then people would think it is very convenient to ride the train and would encourage new riders, thus more profit for them?
nelo-- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2019, 06:57 PM   #17671
jp1032

Likes (Received): 2987

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelo-- View Post
so, given the current structure of the MRT, what is the shortest possible headway between trains?

How about LRT 1 and 2? Somehow, for LRT 1, it makes me think sinusulit ng LRMC yung passenger capacity ng mga tren, which IMO is bad business and public service strategy.

If they minimize waiting to the least possible time, then people would think it is very convenient to ride the train and would encourage new riders, thus more profit for them?
Last tuesday inabot kami almost 30 mins sa Roosevelt platform kahit 8:30pm na ng gabi. Naka 3 tren ang dumaan pero di nagsakay.
jp1032 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2019, 06:10 AM   #17672
AirRail781

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
The MTR East Rail Line more functions as a commuter rail than rapid transit.
Ah, I see
AirRail781 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2019, 07:57 AM   #17673
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean911 View Post

I know about this. But this is a commuter rail system, not rapid transit.

Though Sydney operated this year it's first metro system and also the first in Australia.

Old October 6th, 2019, 11:32 AM   #17674
romyman

Likes (Received): 577

Quote:
Originally Posted by palaweno View Post
Being a collegial body, ONE senator can only delay a lot of things. In the end, if theres a will, theres a way. I want to believe that its still a numbers game and pro admin have the number in both chambers.

However, at this point na my posturing na for the next presidential elections, mas malabo na yan...
Being the Chairman of Transportation Committee she can delay any transportation measure to her hearts content. The DU30 Emergency Powers Bill has been languishing in her Committee for 3 years !! In actuality it is more than 3 years she has not done anything good for the Transportation Sector, time pa ni Abnoy puro papogi at posturing lang ginawa nya.
romyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2019, 11:43 AM   #17675
romyman

Likes (Received): 577

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvingod View Post
If they can shove the relocation of bus terminals to the peoples throats why not this one. Suddenly, they are so afraid of Grace Poe? The admin has a super majority on both houses. You are telling me one Senator can stop them?Excuses
Grace POE FYI is a member of the SUPER MAJORITY in the Senate. That is why she retained the Chairmanship of the Senate Transportation Committee
romyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2019, 04:46 PM   #17676
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by romyman View Post
Grace POE FYI is a member of the SUPER MAJORITY in the Senate. That is why she retained the Chairmanship of the Senate Transportation Committee
Poe is more an independent Senator. Anyway, back to LRT/MRT.

Old October 7th, 2019, 08:57 AM   #17677
Sky_Higher
Bibimbaaaaaap

Likes (Received): 1380

Renato Reyes, Jr.

Quote:
We have a mass transport crisis.

There are not enough trains to ferry commuters to work and school. Of the limited trains that we do have, ALL THREE suffered glitches last week. The LRT 1, LRT 2 and MRT 3 all experienced technical issues that disrupted operations. I cannot remember a time when all three had glitches in the same week.

Is this situation not yet a cause for a legislative investigation? Shouldn't this be examined during the budget hearings as there are government agencies involved? When will the Senate look into these issues?

The most serious situation now is the LRT 2. The repairs from the Santolan to Anonas stations will require 9 months. Today, the LRT 2 did not operate, thus affecting thousands of commuters bound for Manila.

As for the MRT 3 and LRT 1, they should abandon any proposal for a fare hike given the quality of service that they have given commuters.

Tanong ng commuters, may plano ba talaga para sa pagpapaunlad ng mass transport system sa bansa, sa balangkas ng serbisyo hindi negosyo? O depende pa rin ito sa pabago-bago ng administrasyon at kagustuhang mag-negosyo ng ilan? (larawan ni @ymaaanmadjilon )
Sky_Higher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 11:39 AM   #17678
walrus357

Likes (Received): 2577

tignan nyo hagdanan, kung yun hindi nila mapatino, pano na lang yung buong linya..
walrus357 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 12:50 PM   #17679
happosai
<<-Pusit Hunter->>

Likes (Received): 858

Langya.. akala ko foot bridge yan ng MMDA. Kaya ako nag tataka bat sa foot bridge nilagay ang sign...
happosai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 01:24 PM   #17680
-SNPKLSDMBLDR-
Welcome to the Planet

Likes (Received): 3753

lol that's rich coming from a commie who's BFFs have no problem burning public transport terminals, buses and airports.
DFB-GER '14 - Schweinsteiger #31/Messi #10 - Scuderia Ferrari - #DC Joker/BoP/WW'84

-SNPKLSDMBLDR- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement