Central Station Redevelopment | Newcastle | Various | U/C - Page 14 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old August 21st, 2013, 08:25 AM   #261
Wildcat45

Likes (Received): 37

I might have to have a wander down one afternoon. See what all the fuss - if any - is about.
Wildcat45 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #262
cranfan

Likes (Received): 67

Had a bit of a look round the station area today. Match day so pretty busy. Impressions of the traffic arrangements:
- Taxi area seems ok, don't see what all the uproar is about
- Neville Street not great, but then again there's lots of tarmac currently coned off. Hopefully when the work is finished and we have two lanes again this will be better. But what is taking so long?
- Short stay a bit shambolic. The problem being that people are being dropped off at the most convenient point - which you'd expect - and this means you get two or three cars in the entrance and you block back across the junction. Suspect it would have been better to have the access to the short-stay at the far end instead.
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #263
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 3923

Newcastle Central Station Portico - 25/08/13 approx 1130 - works and taxis etc

Following the recent posts on matters concerning the taxis and works being carried out to rooflights at the station here are a few pictures taken by myself Sunday 07/08/13 approx 1130 - hosted on Photobucket

Taxi pick up point

Behind the hoardings , position opposite main entrance to station , pictured through small apertures in gate

Work to the rooflights

Car Park north of portico

Roadworks now being carried out to island at end Clayton St West

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #264
Ken O'Heed

Newcastle Central Station - new glazed retail unit to station concourse, Listed Building Application, Granted

On Newcastle Planning Portal 07/10/13 as "Granted Conditionally"

2013/1202/01/LBC

Listed Building Application: Erection of new glazed retail unit to station concourse, following demolition of existing travel centre, re-alignment of gateline barrier to platform 1

Newcastle Central Station Neville Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5DL

http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk...=MR9G1ZBSGJM00

Relates to replacement of the existing travel centre - shown in these pictures by myself 02/06/13, hosted on Photobucket

KEN
Old October 8th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #265
Superunknown90
BANNED

Likes (Received): 62

Is the bottom half of Grainger Street going to be pedestrianised?
Superunknown90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #266
markwells

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown90 View Post
Is the bottom half of Grainger Street going to be pedestrianised?

I had heard that it was to become a one-way st in opposite direction, with road past war memorial being closed for the new Hilton Hotel. But plans seem to be changing by the day. The plan for Neville st, its bus stops and the station short stay car park hasn't been fully finalised yet.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 8th, 2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Added quotes brackets
markwells no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 10:43 PM   #267
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 178

What I can't understand is that directly opposite the station entrance they dug up the tarmac, did some underground works but essentially narrowed the road (so it's chaos at frequent times) and just walked away for the best Summer we've had when it could probably have been completed by now.

When are they due to make a start I wonder?

The paving around the Stephenson Monument is now being dug up.
The statue is probably going to get grubby again.
Maybe they should have waited until all this work was complete before the refurbishment?
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #268
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwells View Post
I had heard that it was to become a one-way st in opposite direction, with road past war memorial being closed for the new Hilton Hotel. But plans seem to be changing by the day. The plan for Neville st, its bus stops and the station short stay car park hasn't been fully finalised yet.

Original plans had the area immediately around the Grainger Street entrance to Central Station pedestrianised....between Westgate Road and Neville Street, then a convoluted one-way around the Stephenson statue. Is that not now happening?
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #269
markwells

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
Original plans had the area immediately around the Grainger Street entrance to Central Station pedestrianised....between Westgate Road and Neville Street, then a convoluted one-way around the Stephenson statue. Is that not now happening?
I'm not 100% sure what the plan is now, my dad is a taxi driver at the station, The station was supposed to be getting an entrance on Forth St and all traffic sent round there with a pedestrian square on Neville St, but he was saying I think they've realised Forth St/Banks won't be able to cope with the volume of traffic. They ripped up Neville St and then the plan was rethought and it was Tarmac'd as a temp measure.
markwells no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:24 PM   #270
Ken O'Heed

Newcastle Central Station - new glazed retail unit to station concourse & work to portico - status on 23/10/13

2013/1202/01/LBC

Listed Building Application: Erection of new glazed retail unit to station concourse, following demolition of existing travel centre, re-alignment of gateline barrier to platform 1

Last covered by pictures in post 264 on 08/10/13

Relates to replacement of the existing travel centre, now mostly behing Miller Construction plywood screens - shown in these pictures by myself 23/06/13, hosted on Photobucket

and in respect of works to the portico - difficult to follow but these 2 pictures give idea of ongoing work at high level, north end

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

Steve Ellwood liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:52 PM   #271
Dazza1303

Likes (Received): 6

I notice that the former Red Star Parcels Unit at the front of the station has now been fitted out, looks very much like a sweet shop, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is going to accommodate the shop that was formerly part of the Travel Centre?
Dazza1303 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 01:19 PM   #272
Ken O'Heed

Newcastle Central Station - new glazed retail unit to station concourse - status on 01/11/13

2013/1202/01/LBC

Last covered by pictures in post 270 on 23/10/13

Relates to replacement of the existing travel centre, now mostly behind Miller Construction plywood screens - shown in these pictures by myself 01/11/13 approx 1230, hosted on Photobucket

Relocated ticket machines - being well used

New ticket office on platform 12, north end of station beyond the Miller hoardings and Welfare Facilities

KEN
Old November 4th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #273
minimoog

Likes (Received): 169

I have real doubts about the short-stay/drop-off car park. It was chaos there this morning - cars backed up onto Neville street, cars coming along Neville Street when their lights were on red, just awful.

Needs a rethink.
minimoog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #274
boozler

Likes (Received): 1

Massive howk

This development is as useless a piece of needless construction as I've seen in Newcastle, It's one massive howk, a car haters paradise for the NCC and Network Rail folks.

I travelled down Bewick street on sunday with the intention of dropping off at the station at the new Drop off access from Bewick street only to find the Access road fenced off by some red and white plastic fencing.

I got stuck on the Junction with no where to go, Couldn't see the traffic lights as they were behind me a fair way up Bewick street, there were none to the front of me opposite the junction.

It was pure chaos, I just had to barge my way out and hope I hadn't inadvertently jumped a red light...couldn't access the drop off area at all.

Mark my Words...Someone is Going to get run over down there, possibly even killed, that's how bad it is.
boozler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #275
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 46

I will be hated for saying this, but I fully support anything that discourages the motorist from bringing a private vehicle into the city centre. I would like to see a £10 daily charge for doing so. I dont see why anyone would need to bring a private vehicle into Newcastle City Centre. People may choose to, but it is right that they be pushed to the periphery and the needs of the pedestrian, cyclist and public transport user be firmly prioritised. Motorists make the city centre unpleasant for everyone else.

There is no need to be driving to the station in my opinion, unless your passenger is infirm or disabled. There are plenty of options for free drop off at any of the big Metro or bus interchanges, Heworth, Regent Centre, Four Lane Ends for example then a short, direct and fast rail/bus ride into the station. Alternatively you can drop people off at the service entrance to the Centre for Life on Forth Banks and avoid the city centre jams by coming along the Quayside or Scotswood Road.

Im not getting at you boozler, appreciate it must have been a ballache to get from A to B... but I'm just saying I can see why the council do what they do.
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #276
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 802

The Portico has been an unwelcome place to be dropped off and is so full of waiting taxi's that it makes the task rather difficult. On my last drop off to the station (whilst the portico was in full use) the taxi driver actually dropped us off outside of the portico because even he couldn't get in. This was before 7am.

From my experience the area around there hasn't become anymore unsafe then it already was. The ones who seem to be the most vocal about it are the taxi drivers who now don't have it so easy. Remember the portico was only designated a pick up and drop off point, yet it seemed to be a waiting area for so many taxis. As soon as people get used to the new layout it will be a lot better.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #277
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 25

When I have visitors coming up to Newcastle to visit, the very least I could do is pick them up. Saying, oh it's easy, you just get another train to four lane ends, then wait for 20 minutes for a bus, or you could walk to the other end of town and get a bus there, is more than a little rude. Fair enough having the main town centre shopping areas pedestrianised, but there should be no reason to ban cars from the town centre. Certainly unless the public transport was any better. Public transport works well in some areas, but not others.

vx999, minimoog liked this post
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 03:23 AM   #278
ph1l1p14

Likes (Received): 8

Is the new ticket office temporary or permanent? As if it's permanent then I am very disappointed as it appears it has been done on the cheap! It was rammed when I went there, and with only one door either side for travel today and future bookings people were having to push past people queuing to get in the office when trying to leave. It's also out the way, ticket offices are usually near the entrance, and while yes it's impossible while current work is on going I hope they move it more central and have a fit for purpose booking office.
ph1l1p14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #279
TopWindow

Likes (Received): 6

Hi
Working very close to the station, I understand the problems which are happening now.

Changing to one lane with the removal of the bus lane is leading to severe queues, sometimes backed round to the Castle, adding often 10 - 15 minutes to get round past the station.

Crossing from Greggs to Station - pedestrian crossing where it curently is located means it seems easier and quicker to cross between Gotham Town and Sainsurys / car entrance area. So a lot of people standing around there waiting for hte lights to change, which could and I think will, lead to a serious accident.

In combination with the previous roadworks on Forth Banks near the new police station, and roadworks opposite Weatherspoons, getting into and out of town by car at rush hour has been a nightmare.

Often the backed up traffic (mainly buses) coming round from Westagte road to the front of hte station by the Head of Steam means traffic waiting in the box junction... so when the lights change - no progress...

Timing of all these roadworks together has exacerbated the situation.

Grrr - rant over!

And yes - it will look nice when its done!
But I hope they are going to give the station walls a clean!
TopWindow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #280
battlefieldjohn
Idle waster.

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlad View Post
I will be hated for saying this,
Well I don't hate you but I completely disagree with you. The city center needs to cater for everyone, charge a tenner and the car drivers will just go to the metro center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlad View Post
Motorists make the city centre unpleasant for everyone else.

In what way?I nearly always walk into town, and the last thing I would think is "how unpleasant, cars". Indeed, it always cheers me to see the central motorway rammed whilst I make easy progress.

Over the years numerous parts of the roads have been taken away, narrowed, banned cars (why cars cannot access the Tyne bridge from swan house RAB is beyond me) and generally squeezed out.

I can walk into town in 5 minutes and I normally do, I would only take my car if I had to pick up a heavy object.You want to charge me a tenner for that?

When the car is banned the toon will die, and the council will hail it a success.

Andy Welsh, Chatton11, vx999, minimoog liked this post
battlefieldjohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, constructions, developments, england, newcastle, newcastle transport, project, project - newcastle area, projects, rail, railways, redevelopment, transport, united kingdom