Central Station Redevelopment | Newcastle | Various | U/C - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old September 20th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #21
Tyr
King of Bernicia

Likes (Received): 32

I guess they'll be wanting to do something about a south exit with all the development south of the station?
Tyr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #22
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 47

Really? I heard they were going to do nowt with the south exit. Is there a south exit anyway?
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #23
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2071

Central Station 'in need of changes' say ministers
by Adrian Pearson, The Journal, September 24th 2012

THE NEXT firm to run the East Coast Rail Service must ensure improvements to Newcastle Central Station, ministers have been told. Transport groups and councils leaders have told the Department for Transport the station is in need a wide range of changes, including better passenger facilities, improved security, easier access to the Metro station and a new approach to bus and taxi services.

The department is set to formally kick-off the invitation to tender for the nationalised East Coast route early next year, with consultation responses flooding in ahead of this. Many have stressed the economic importance of the link to London, with the Tyne and Wear Integrated Transport Authority the latest to insist upon a strong commitment to retaining the two trains an hour peak service level currently available, with further calls made for more services to Berwick, Alnmouth and Morpeth.

In a sign of behind-the-scenes tensions a call has been made to ensure Nexus, the executive arm of the transport authority, has a better relationship with whoever takes over the franchise. At present, the authority said, "relations with nationalised East Coast have not been good enough in terms of the every day operation of Central Station.” One apparent issue the transport authority is keen to raise is the disruption caused by the ticket barriers placed in the station.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz27N8vQgi4
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #24
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2071

Calls to get Newcastle Central Station £15m revamp started
by Kate Proctor, The Journal, September 29th 2012

PRESSURE is mounting on Newcastle City Council to start work on a promised £15m upgrade to Newcastle Central Station. Work was due to start this summer, but £4.9m from the Government’s regional growth fund secured for the project nine months ago has only just been made available. Now opposition councilors, who instigated the funding for the project in 2010, are calling for the work to begin.

Liberal democrat councilor Anita Lower said: “Whilst the council were waiting for the money to come, they could have been getting under way with the consultation process. “Nine months have gone by, why haven’t we had more debate about what’s planned and what’s going to happen there? By the time work is started, it will be another year the city misses out on the benefits of the project.”

Money for the £15m facelift for the Central Station was confirmed in December 2011 with Network Rail contributing the £8.6m to the scheme. Plans include changing the road layout and new shops and leisure facilities inside the Grade I- listed station building, which opened in 1850.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz27qYET4wh
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:27 AM   #25
JoeColl

Likes (Received): 10

Not sure if this has been picked up on Re Central Station & Surrounding Area:

http://www.letstalknewcastle.co.uk/c...tions/index/58

Central gateway - New development around Newcastle’s Central Station

We are asking for your views on the exciting new development plans around Newcastle’s Central Station, the Central Gateway.

The Central Gateway is a multi-million pound project which will see major improvements to getting in and out of this busy part of our city and also open up and make safer pedestrian and cycle routes to and from the Grade 1 listed John Dobson designed station.

This part of over the overall project, worth over £15 million, is being jointly run by Newcastle City Council and business improvement district company, NE1 Ltd, with £4.95 million received from the Regional Growth Fund.

To help us develop this historic part of our city we are asking residents, community groups and local businesses for their views on our values to underpin what we want this area and the rest of the City Centre to be like, but we still want to know what you think to guide us in shaping the final designs.

Network Rail and East Coast have also been awarded £8.6 million to transform the interior of the station including the portico, moving the ticket office and increasing the retail opportunities. The two projects are working closely together to maximise benefits of these exciting schemes.

Work is expected to be completed by March 2014.
JoeColl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #26
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 46

Really hopeful a south entrance to Central Station will be built in the near future.

That will transform the desirability of the Stephenson Quarter area as it suddenly becomes really accessible for national rail services, but also local bus and metro services too.

toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #27
Northern Engineer

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlad View Post
Really hopeful a south station entrance will be built in the near future. That will transform the desirability of this area as it suddenly becomes really accessible for national rail services, but also local bus and metro services too.
Is the south side entrance part of the masterplan or is it a wishlist?
Northern Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #28
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

I believe the original plan for a tunnel and extra retail has been dropped but bridge access and a new entrance portal are still on the cards. Haven't heard any timescales yet.
Old December 7th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #29
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

I'd imagine a south entrance might not be done now or would be pointless due to ticket barriers, i.e. you can't just walk through the station anymore unless you have a ticket.

The alternatives could be a south entrance and a bridge into the car park area on the north side or the mega-budget tunnel (plus shops) option that was originally proposed but I doubt that'll happen for a long, long time, if ever.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #30
Northern Engineer

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewcastleStu View Post
I'd imagine a south entrance might not be done now or would be pointless due to ticket barriers, i.e. you can't just walk through the station anymore unless you have a ticket.

The alternatives could be a south entrance and a bridge into the car park area on the north side or the mega-budget tunnel (plus shops) option that was originally proposed but I doubt that'll happen for a long, long time, if ever.
I would have thought a south side entrance would be a good idea. Not just because it makes the station more accessible from that side and would help the development of the Stephenson quarter but it could also relieve some of the chaotic congestion you get at the drop off point at the front of the station.

All they would have to do is add a couple of extra ticket barriers on the south side rather than tunnels/ bridges etc. If they didnt have a ticket they would have to go around the front.
Northern Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #31
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Engineer

I would have thought a south side entrance would be a good idea. Not just because it makes the station more accessible from that side and would help the development of the Stephenson quarter but it could also relieve some of the chaotic congestion you get at the drop off point at the front of the station.

All they would have to do is add a couple of extra ticket barriers on the south side rather than tunnels/ bridges etc. If they didnt have a ticket they would have to go around the front.
That would remove some of the benefits of the entrance as it would prevent south side access to the Metro, unless the barriers could accept both types of ticket.
Old December 8th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #32
cranfan

Likes (Received): 67

And there's problems enough staffing the barriers as it is.
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #33
inmh88
Urban Myth

Likes (Received): 9

Not sure if this has been posted before, I spotted it weeks ago on Ryder's website in the News section.

"We recently submitted proposals for the redevelopment of the grade I listed building with Miller Construction. The brief from Network Rail involves glazing the portico to accommodate a new travel centre and retail units and reconfiguring the concourse to provide further retail units and to improve access to the platforms. In addition to the base brief we also included a number of options to improve access from Neville Street and from Forth Street to the south."

Source
inmh88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #34
PinzaC55

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmh88 View Post
Not sure if this has been posted before, I spotted it weeks ago on Ryder's website in the News section.

"We recently submitted proposals for the redevelopment of the grade I listed building with Miller Construction. The brief from Network Rail involves glazing the portico to accommodate a new travel centre and retail units and reconfiguring the concourse to provide further retail units and to improve access to the platforms. In addition to the base brief we also included a number of options to improve access from Neville Street and from Forth Street to the south."

Source
It looks absolutely ghastly. It amazes me that they are even allowed to mention such an idea at one of the most historic stations in the world.

Posted by Aylett 67
Quote:
Did anyone use the Halthwistle to Alston branch in its last years, as this was the last line to be closed in the North East in recent decades. I've been on the narrow gauge South Tynedale Railway, but was too young to go on the heavy rail line.
I had one run down it about 6 months before closure and I had the train more or less to myself with one passenger getting on at Coanwood and one off at Slaggyford.
I have to admit I have never visited the South Tynedale - no disrespect to them but a narrow gauge line on a standard gauge formation just doesn't float my boat.
PinzaC55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #35
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 791

Hmm, I'm not so sure on that. If it uses cast iron support beams that are already in place, if the stone areas of the station are left untouched, if it is done with traditional period details (too far away to see on that render) then maybe.

I'm not keen on the escalators at all though, the should be normal stairs with cast iron railings.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #36
jkkne
Northumberland Import

Likes (Received): 82

It looks pretty similar to the changes they went through with Kings Cross.

As a mainline station Newcastle does need some work, it's facilities are awful when comparable to other stations on the mainline. Such an imposing beautiful building but stuck with pretty uninspiring inside architecture (I mean the modern stuff, the glass travel centre, the toilets etc etc)

The way planning is at the moment I'd not be surprised if they covered the whole damn place in cladding
jkkne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #37
Pleaty

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Hmm, I'm not so sure on that. If it uses cast iron support beams that are already in place, if the stone areas of the station are left untouched, if it is done with traditional period details (too far away to see on that render) then maybe.

I'm not keen on the escalators at all though, the should be normal stairs with cast iron railings.
I agree, not sure about the escalators but the station does need something doing to it, Kings cross and St Pancras are historic stations but look at what has been done to those in recent years, Kings cross is now amazing. I am sure Newtwork Rail would not spend anything near the amount on a project outside the South East but lets hope it is done in a sympathetic way and it would drastically improve the station
Pleaty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #38
the_sage

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb

It's unlikely that they will apply any additional load to the existing 150 odd year old columns. Agree that the escalators look tacky... It's not like they are needed for DDA, there will be lifts for that.
the_sage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #39
Manors
Between Manors and Byker

Likes (Received): 19

There is only one lift at the station at present, which links the main entrance and platforms 3/4 - it is hidden away behind the travel centre so hardly anyone notices it.

The current footbridge doesn't meet DDA, although I'm sure recently there was a funding package announced to improve access between the platforms. Perhaps this and the work that is to be done on the Nevvile Street area has made Network Rail start the ball rolling with the improvements to the main station.
Manors no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #40
Station Master

Likes (Received): 59

Central Station is about to have a bit of an upgrade...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-21734489

Source: BBC News
Station Master no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, constructions, developments, england, newcastle, newcastle transport, project, project - newcastle area, projects, rail, railways, redevelopment, transport, united kingdom