#150 Buitengracht - 8F - Residential - Bo Kaap | Planned - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Regional Development and Discussion > Western Cape > Cape Town > Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2019, 04:29 PM   #1
Lydon

Likes (Received): 6517

#150 Buitengracht - 8F - Residential - Bo Kaap | Planned

150 Buitengracht
Source: Flyt Property

Sector: Mixed Use
Completion Date: 2021
Project Size: 4000 sqm
Project Value: R150 million

Inner city living at its best, 150 Buitengracht is a perfect union of modern living with all the romance and nostalgia of a historic and bustling neighbourhood

Between the multi-cultural and vibrant community of Bo-Kaap and the bustling Central City of Cape Town we have found a gem! 150 Buitengracht offers all the luxuries without forgetting the deep historic roots of this truly extraordinary region of Cape Town’s city centre.

This was an incredibly challenging and exhilarating project for the Flyt team as we combined our resources in creating this masterpiece. Applied ingenuity is at the forefront of this architecturally iconic building which was meticulously designed by OBJEK Architects. We acquired the site as a vacant and neglected pocket of land and conceptualised a project that is tailored for all things future, whilst consciously considering Cape Town’s multi-faceted past.

150 Buitengracht is a rare opportunity to invest in a progressively new and alternative hospitality offering that is equal parts historic charm and modern luxury. Following international tourism trends, we’ve come up with a very cool concept for a luxury hostel–type offering in this mixed-use development.

With its superb location (within walking distance of the city’s best restaurants and shopping areas in Bree Street) and edgy neighbourhood, we’ve planned an impressive and inspired 9-storey property with an interactive retail space that will host a coffee shop and reception areas as well as a creative outdoor exhibition area spilling onto the street level.

The spectacular 9th floor was designed with the resident in mind and will offer an array of amenities, including a vibrant rooftop entertainment area, private dining rooms, lounges and a terrace with a pool. Floors 2 – 7 will consist of luxury dorm-style units and spacious private en-suite rooms, some with their own terraces.

Bo-Kaap holds a wonderful historical tale and 150 Buitengracht is a fitting investment opportunity for those who seek a personal connection with Cape Town. This project has certainly been a labour of love and we have successfully re-imagined this particularly complex project to ultimately create a lasting urban destination which pays homage to our heritage while embracing the progress of our community, all the while setting it up to be a spectacular experience that can be shared with the world.

[IMG][/IMG]

ckbs, SAMOHT liked this post
Lydon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2019, 04:40 PM   #2
Marsupalami

Likes (Received): 997

Jeezo! that is well and truly in amongst the small coulourful houses. I smell a community revolt, though TBH, this is quite a nice design, but still, its a block of a building thats 8 floors high, on the wrong side of the "border" road I feel....and close to an historic mosque too
Marsupalami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2019, 10:00 AM   #3
Foxyman

Likes (Received): 1936

I don't dislike the design but I don't feel its appropriate for the location, if it didn't have such a dark palette it would be less overbearing/heavy and I think the colour references are crass. Let the house be colourful and have new/bigger structures softer and lighter and in neutral tones

Marsupalami liked this post
Foxyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2019, 11:36 AM   #4
JulianL

Likes (Received): 221

Some odd marketing copy from that developer text (my bolding)...

Quote:
With its superb location (within walking distance of the city’s best restaurants and shopping areas in Bree Street) and edgy neighbourhood
To me "edgy neighbourhood" implies not particularly safe. Is it just me who interprets "edgy" that way? I assume it's not the message they were trying to convey!

- Julian
JulianL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2019, 12:08 AM   #5
GoClickr

Likes (Received): 111

I think it implies that the neighbourhood is not like the others surrounding it. It is unusual, at the forefront and fashionable.

Marsupalami liked this post
GoClickr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2019, 06:18 AM   #6
NicSA

Likes (Received): 8351

I don't think Bokaap residents will take kindly to their neighbourhood being referred to as "fashionable" or "edgy". The marketing copy for this building suggests that the developers have actually not thought deeply or seriously engaged with the community when planning this project.
NicSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2019, 02:31 PM   #7
CONSTRN_TIME_AGAIN

Likes (Received): 3

Wow... Don't know whether to laugh or cry, honestly that marketing copy is so out of touch it reads like a parody written by a comedian...
CONSTRN_TIME_AGAIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2019, 07:53 PM   #8
Lydon

Likes (Received): 6517

Looks like this was rejected:

https://www.msn.com/en-za/news/other...sed/ar-BBWWgYG
Old November 19th, 2019, 08:24 AM   #9
Charlesp

Likes (Received): 131

Yes,it was rejected unfortunately. Is there perhaps a higher authority the developers can appeal to in order to overturn this decision? South Africa has an extremely high unemployment rate, the country is desperate for investment to create jobs yet it is found perfectly acceptable to reject a project which could have created hundreds of jobs! Is "heritage" so important that it must override all other considerations - including new job creation and investment?This project would have injected much-needed growth and urban renewal into a district which is rapidly becoming stagnant and the worse for wear. There will be those who will claim that the job creation produced by this project would have only been temporary while building work was in progress - not so ,if this development would have been allowed to go ahead it would surely have provided the impetus for more developments resulting in more investment and more job creation.No one is decrying that the Bo-Kaap is an important heritage site - but must it always be at the expense of everybody and everything else?
Charlesp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 08:45 AM   #10
NicSA

Likes (Received): 8351

I don't know.. this development always struck me as being pretty disingenuous, marketing itself as being part of the "vibrant" and "edgy" Bokaap area while having no buy-in or agreement from the Bokaap community itself. There is loads of undeveloped land across Cape Town where they could build but they chose Bokaap specifically because it is an extremely well-located and unique heritage area.

Why can't they build this development in Woodstock, Salt River or Obs where there are less heritage concerns and plenty of similar sized developments going up?

UrbanSean liked this post
NicSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 10:02 AM   #11
Foxyman

Likes (Received): 1936

This seems to be a bit of a phyrric victory. Their is a valid and binding demolition permit with an approved replacement plan in place, this application was for an alternative replacement plan and whilst it hasn't been approved the original replacement plan can still be used. Whether the developer proceeds with this original plan (which I haven't seen) and how the community reacts if they do is another question for another day.

I 100% believe that developers need to be more sensitive to how properties in Bo-Kaap are developed, the unfortunate reality is that by being sensitive, in particular with respect to scale/height, developers will not be able to fully utilize the development rights (i.e. fully utilize the bulk) which will invariably result in the value of development sites in the Bo-Kaap declining significantly.
Foxyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement