Bratislava - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > European Archives > Urban Archive > Eastern Europe / Balkans

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 11th, 2005, 08:55 PM   #1
urbane

Likes (Received): 82

Bratislava

Some photos I took this August on my trip in Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia. The city is very close to Vienna, Austria.

This photo was taken from Austria and you can see the Bratislava castle in the background:

Well, before arriving at the hostel I got lost in Petrzalka, on the other side of the Danube from the old city. This neighborhood is a sea of commie-block and it was very hard to find our way out since we couldn’t find any street-names and since all the buildings looked the same:

Finally found our way to the city-center, we are going towards the futuristic-looking (well, at least once it was futuristic) Novy Most bridge:

Bratislava has a street-car system. Notice the lack of car traffic, whether it’s in the city center or outside of it:

Now photos of the quain old city-center:

The St. Michael’s gate, once an entrance to the walled city:

The Hlavne Nam:

A street artist imitating the statue next to him:

The Slovak National Theatre:

The Hviezdoslavovo Nam is a very long plaza, that was probably created once the the canal surrounding the city’s wall were filled with hearth:

A modern structure in the city center:

A view of the Danube river from the Novy Most:

St. Martin’s Cathedral. This is the church where Hungarian Kings were crowned for many centuries. In fact Bratislava had a large Hungarian as well as Germanic community in the past:

The streets around St. Martin’s Cathedral:

The Grassalkovich Palace (the palace of the president):

The contrast between old and new street:

Old:

New:

The view from the hostel (again, notice the contrast between the foreground and the background buildings):

The Kamenne Nam:

The red roofs of Bratislava from the tower of the Old City Hall (I suggest the visit of the municipal museum: nice exhibits, interesting interiors, and the view from this tower is superb):

From the castle looking towards the old city:

Looking towards the sea of commie-blocks in Petrzalka:

From the castle looking towards Austria (all the windmills are already in Austria):

That's all, I hope you enjoyed
urbane no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2005, 02:53 AM   #2
intervention
planning inaction

Wow, very nice. I knew Bratislava was close to the border but didn't know it was that close.

The city, however, is certainly less appealling than I had thought.
intervention no está en línea  
Old September 12th, 2005, 03:28 AM   #3
mic of Orion
I come in peace \V/

Likes (Received): 48

very intersting,

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Religion leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to bigotry, bigotry leads to suffering!!!" Mic of Orion
mic of Orion no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2005, 01:05 PM   #4
Timoth12

Likes (Received): 6

Firstly, thank you for showing the pictures of Bratislava, well, the first ones are from Petrzalka, which is still the commieblocks quarter, even if in the northern part is quite a lot of new construction, including new quarters.

Few comments to your shots:

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbane
In this shot is SNP bridge (bridge of the Slovak National Uprising. Constructed in 1972, it was one of the first suspension bridges at least in the surrounding regions. On the top there is a turning restaurant, called UFO, which was reopened after reconstruction ca. 2 months ago.

Quote:
Bratislava has a street-car system. Notice the lack of car traffic, whether it’s in the city center or outside of it:

Right, Bratislava has a street car system, but also trolleys, buses and mini-buses. Plans to construct an underground system were abandonded I think in 2002, or 2003. City government approved the construction of high speed tram /partially monorail/. Next year should begin the reconstruction of Old Bridge /Stary Most/, which will include a fisrt part of high speed tram system.

Lack of traffic, is however, during Sundays in the morning and partially afternoon. The streets and highways to the city have amount of traffic of ca. 30.000 - 120.000 vehicles/day.

Quote:
The Hviezdoslavovo Nam is a very long plaza, that was probably created once the the canal surrounding the city’s wall were filled with hearth:

That´s right. Old city walls were tearde down at the end of 18th century /Maria Theresia rule/, instead of that in the 19th century the place was rebuilt /Slovak National theatre, hotel Carlton, Reduta..../

One comment to St. Martin´s cathedral: City once /100, or 200 years ago/ had German and Slovak population. Ethnic Hungarians arrived at the end of 19th and in the beginning of 20th century. Wel,, according to latest census is city about 97 % Slovak /permanent residents/.
Although St. Martin´s Cathedral is nice, Klarisky church in the old town is IMO even nicer, also worth of notice is Blumental church.

Quote:
The streets around St. Martin’s Cathedral:

]
This is a museum, where modern artists present their works /see the art works in the windows/. The city government decided to preserve this building in this stage.
Quote:
From the castle looking towards the old city:

]
This a good view for the new skyscrapers: From the right: VUB building, hotel Kiev /with a big add, old one, under reconstruction/, Rozadol /under construstion/, Gloria /almost finished/.

From the city center to the east there is a new quarter of administartive buildings /SPP building, Slovak telecom, Business centres I-VI, Apollo Business centre...../, where it is possible to see the new architecture. In the neighbourhood also new residential and shopping quarter Eurovea is going to be constructed /site preparations in progress, initial construction should start in Spring/, CBC centre and others.

That´s for my comments
Timoth12 no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:46 PM   #5
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 4414

Thanks for posting this "hidden" capital. I saw a program on Travel Channel about Prague and Bratislava and they showed the bridge as one of the most important structures of Bratislava. But they didn't show the old city center, which you did. Many buildings seem beautiful and the new skyscraper is nice, but it also seems that there are still a lot of rundown houses and a lot of commie clocks.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #6
Kostic_from_essen

Likes (Received): 0

This city has many faces I see.Olq quarters vs commies,ancient buildings vs modern buildings,modern squares vs wrecked streets! Seems to be an interesting city!
Kostic_from_essen no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2005, 04:00 AM   #7
SinCity
Streetwalker

Likes (Received): 104

Great pictorial of a really nice city. Bratislava gets better and better!
SinCity no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2005, 06:46 AM   #8
Dalmatinacc

Not bad fotos, but city definitely needs some reconstruction.
Dalmatinacc no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2005, 02:17 PM   #9
Tomesh
insatiable

wow very nice pictures.... I really like Bratislava, its a really great city that I visit every year
Tomesh no está en línea  
Old October 8th, 2005, 01:59 AM   #10
TeKnO_Lx

Likes (Received): 335

such a great fotoreport man
thanks for sharing it realy gives the sensation of being actualy "there"
Obrigado
Old October 11th, 2005, 05:09 AM   #11
urbane

thanks to everyone, especially to Timoth12 for giving a better insight on the different places, I am glad you all enjoyed the thread.

Last edited by urbane; October 11th, 2005 at 05:18 AM.
urbane no está en línea  
Old October 11th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #12
ban Bank
bohemian from Hungary

Likes (Received): 2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12
One comment to St. Martin´s cathedral: City once /100, or 200 years ago/ had German and Slovak population. Ethnic Hungarians arrived at the end of 19th and in the beginning of 20th century. Wel,, according to latest census is city about 97 % Slovak /permanent residents/
Bratislava:
1910: (78.229)
32.790 Germans
31.705 Hungarians
11.673 Slovaks (14,92 %)
1.242 Czechs
351 Croats
115 Polaks

2001: (428.672)
391.761 Slovaks (91,39 %)
16.451 Hungarians
7.972 Czechs
1.200 Germans
461 Ruthens
452 Ukrans
417 Gypsies
ban Bank no está en línea  
Old October 11th, 2005, 10:42 AM   #13
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 7663

Nice pics!

Did anyone see EuroTrip?

This is scary!!!
FREKI está en línea ahora  
Old October 11th, 2005, 12:01 PM   #14
Bass

Likes (Received): 25

I was in Bratislava last year and I was surprised by its beauty! It's quiet but still there are a lot of restaurants and the atmosphere was very good.
The communistic part was kind of surreal in contrast to the old part.
Old October 11th, 2005, 09:08 PM   #15
zektor

I think it was in Romania (the commieblocks) in Euro-Trip ,not Slovakia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Denmark
Nice pics!

Did anyone see EuroTrip?

This is scary!!!
zektor no está en línea  
Old October 13th, 2005, 03:57 PM   #16
Timoth12

Likes (Received): 6

urbane, zektor, Bass and Mr. Denmark - thank you for the posting for the city I am living in.

However, the city is changing. Some of its parts faster, some of them not. Even the Petrzalka district ("famous" commieblock district) is step-by step changing its face. Photos from the northern part of this district:

The construction is however, visible in the whole city, Ruzinov district might be a good example of it. Architects and planners have another visions to make the city a nice capital in the heart of Europe...
Timoth12 no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2005, 12:59 AM   #17
urbane

^ Thanks for the photos Timoth12, I am sure that this city has a bright future ahead
urbane no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 06:37 AM   #18
Zaqattaq

Likes (Received): 81

I quickly passed through Bratislava in July and was able to gather a city of contrasts. I saw the rundown commieblocks like the ones in Eurotrip but I also saw great construction and proof of the bright future for Bratislava and EE. What I liked the most is circled around the city you had farms in the hillside, so the biggest city in the country runs right into nature and it is beautiful.

This might sound a bit odd but if your in the area and you had to choose between Wien and Bratislava, I'd go for Bratislava.
Zaqattaq no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:13 AM   #19
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Likes (Received): 4306

Actually, is this beauty here in the suburbs or what?

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=357989

According to emporis, it has some 200m of height.

Also check this low resolution pic:

Also check this out

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=357870

and this:

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=357881

Looks like this city has a lot of unseen views and for whatever reason I believe that it will boom in the future, like many other Historical Eastern European cities. Beautiful city, clean and with lots of potential...
Old November 23rd, 2005, 02:27 PM   #20
Zaqattaq

Likes (Received): 81

Yea you can see that tower on the left part of the hill in my picture, the train curled around it.
Zaqattaq no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread