Media Midlands - Page 316 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2019, 08:01 PM   #6301
Razmus dazmussen

Likes (Received): 174

We in Birmingham and the black Country are paying a TV licence for the BBC, which is an outdated mode of payment in itself and that's a discussion all by itself as well, but it's 2019 and the segment made me feel like I was in 1979, my point is there still perpetuating this idea that if you talk with a Birmingham or black Country accent your intellectually slow.

Please watch this (comedy) segment from 12 11 19 and see if I'm close to the mark, thanks as well if any forumers take time to do this.
Razmus dazmussen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2019, 08:28 PM   #6302
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 5230

There's no link Raz.
RalphGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 08:42 PM   #6303
Razmus dazmussen

I'm used to the 8 bit speccy and amstrad cpc, totally computer and smart phone illiterate, and the putting of pictures and links on forum are completely out of my league, but the BBC seem to be showing these segments before the 6 00 pm news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2019, 03:22 AM   #6304
RalphGuy

I've heard a segment on Radio5Live a couple of times today. It was a bit silly. Perhaps because the actors are talking about Peaky Blinders on iPlayer, they decided to use the Brummie accent but it's a pity they had to make them out to be thick. It was about 30-40 seconds long. Typical BBC.
Old November 15th, 2019, 10:05 AM   #6305
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Likes (Received): 4473

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
I've heard a segment on Radio5Live a couple of times today. It was a bit silly. Perhaps because the actors are talking about Peaky Blinders on iPlayer, they decided to use the Brummie accent but it's a pity they had to make them out to be thick. It was about 30-40 seconds long. Typical BBC.
Not heard it. Worth a complaint? If we don't complain they'd think everyone loves it.

Kingsheathen liked this post
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 11:42 AM   #6306
daj

Likes (Received): 358

Quote:
I heard it yesterday. I almost ignored it until the final comment which seem to imply there was no hope for the brummies talking. Talking in a typically poor representation of the accent.
daj está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 12:06 PM   #6307
WM-2007

Likes (Received): 82

This is the video I saw before the BBC 6pm news, not sure if it's the same one mentioned earlier:

BBC iPlayer, Wasted on Some, Name Blame. All shows aren’t for all eyeballs. Meet the uptight Brummies who feel very let down by the BBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJYGz5v0fno
WM-2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 12:34 PM   #6308
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2758

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM-2007 View Post
This is the video I saw before the BBC 6pm news, not sure if it's the same one mentioned earlier:

BBC iPlayer, Wasted on Some, Name Blame. All shows aren’t for all eyeballs. Meet the uptight Brummies who feel very let down by the BBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJYGz5v0fno
I think its an over reacting as there are a number of these type of adds that the bbc is pushing out... one is by a brummie taking the mick out of a posh/upper class person - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGHtj8Iuwgg

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 10:42 PM   #6309
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPeeDee View Post
Not heard it. Worth a complaint? If we don't complain they'd think everyone loves it.

I wouldn't waste your time to be honest JayPeeDee. Life is too short.
Old November 16th, 2019, 02:42 AM   #6310
Razmus dazmussen

Ralph guy your absolutely right in regards to 'life's too short ' these media 'what's easy' to have a dig at types still roam the corridors, so it's not worth the fight, f..k em.
Old November 17th, 2019, 09:28 PM   #6311
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8331

We’ve been ranked 2nd best market in the world

Quote:
2nd. Birmingham’s Frankfurt Christmas Market – Birmingham, England

It’s one of the biggest German Christmas markets outside of Germany. So, you can expect a truly amazing experience. Take a ride on the ornate carousel, listen to traditional carols and Christmas songs, and shop ’til you drop at over 80 beautiful wooden stalls. People flock to this Christmas market from all over, and we can see why.

Pretzels, schnitzels, bratwursts, and roasted almonds will tempt your taste buds. The tasty food can be washed down with glühwein, German beer or hot chocolate.

2019 Dates: 7th November – 23rd December

https://bigseventravel.com/2019/11/b...he-world-2019/
Old November 17th, 2019, 11:38 PM   #6312
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 2028

I rarely watch BBC Breakfast anymore but this weekend as I was in a B&B in Dartmouth I decided to watch it. The backdrop has now gone full Salford I see and the presenters are from that area too. I googled Nina Warhurst and she had worries that she wouldn't become a BBC presenter because she's too Northern - that's exactly the accent the BBC is looking for now outside of the Home counties.

Kingsheathen, blueboy liked this post
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2019, 11:58 PM   #6313
citywatcher01

Likes (Received): 544

The video clip was amusing, nice to hear Brummie accents on everyman characters.
citywatcher01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2019, 02:11 AM   #6314
cmpd1

Likes (Received): 289

Yeah life's too short to get worked up about the BBC. Anyway, the average age of BBC1 viewers is about 900 last time I checked. Basically old farts. The younger generation get their info from elsewhere, mainly social media and YouTube.

RalphGuy liked this post
cmpd1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2019, 12:45 PM   #6315
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2758

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
I rarely watch BBC Breakfast anymore but this weekend as I was in a B&B in Dartmouth I decided to watch it. The backdrop has now gone full Salford I see and the presenters are from that area too. I googled Nina Warhurst and she had worries that she wouldn't become a BBC presenter because she's too Northern - that's exactly the accent the BBC is looking for now outside of the Home counties.
BBC Breakfast News is now filmed in Salford so that might have something to do with it.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

mileymc1 liked this post
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2019, 03:16 PM   #6316
RalphGuy

Le Mans 66 (known as Ford vs Ferrari in the States) has debuted at No 1 on the US Box Office this weekend with around $31m. It also scored an outstanding A+ with cinema audiences which bodes well for a good run at the box office.

rotundazag, aqeembayor, Hasaandoo, blueboy liked this post
Old November 20th, 2019, 12:37 AM   #6317
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 2028

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
BBC Breakfast News is now filmed in Salford so that might have something to do with it.
It's their "me me look at me" constant imploring that comes out of that town that winds me up. They have the audacity to think they have to be heard, noticed, their accent to be rammed down our throats constantly which sticks in my....throat. Never mind trying to be bigger than Brum, they act like our annoying little kid brother.

Fenton1 liked this post
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2019, 01:18 AM   #6318
mileymc1

Likes (Received): 3232

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
It's their "me me look at me" constant imploring that comes out of that town that winds me up. They have the audacity to think they have to be heard, noticed, their accent to be rammed down our throats constantly which sticks in my....throat. Never mind trying to be bigger than Brum, they act like our annoying little kid brother.
I think every city is trying to do the same to a certain degree. Most definitely in terms of media, politics, banking, investment, jobs, housing, infrastructure etc... Pushing to be the best they can be, pushing to be heard, pushing to make there mark. Manchester is resilient with pride and ambition. No apologies if the [email protected] roar is to loud for your liking.

LND has been the forefront of the country for decades. No harm in other cities grabbing some of the attention. Balance is something that is missing in the U.K and something we should encourage across all our cites, in my opinion.

Mosleyan, neil081273, blueboy, battenfobs, VDB liked this post
mileymc1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2019, 08:37 AM   #6319
markmcd1976

Likes (Received): 556

Quote:
Le Mans 66 (known as Ford vs Ferrari in the States) has debuted at No 1 on the US Box Office this weekend with around $31m. It also scored an outstanding A+ with cinema audiences which bodes well for a good run at the box office.
Does the lad wear a Villa shirt in it too?
markmcd1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2019, 08:57 AM   #6320
leonigmig

Likes (Received): 602

"No apologies if the [email protected] roar is to loud for your liking."

Fair play, I think this is the most Manchester thing you could have said! Two very similar similar cities with very different cultures. Birmingham almost opposite - so grounded we'd rather talk ourselves down than up.
leonigmig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
media