Aston University Student Residences | 18fl | Comp. - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects Completed projects in the West Midlands Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #61
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

The flaw with moving Aston Uni from its main campus and selling its prime real estate is a major one.

It's in the name
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #62
Cra1g

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by feltip View Post
They are not 94 or 92 because of being in 60s so they are considered plate glass university but not research led like Birmingham. And for your obvious bias there are some of the newer universities which give Aston a run for its money but also share some of their characteristics of being non-aligned.

Im not disputing they do some research but they are definitely not a research university like Birmingham, Manchester, Oxford, Glasgow or any of the other Russell Group. Their success has been having placements and also being a much smaller university than some others.
I'm disputing the fact you mentioned that Aston was a newer, CMU university. It blatantly isn't.

As for research, and other Universities giving Aston a run for it's money, who better to settle that than the Times league 2007? http://www.timesonline.co.uk/display...102571,00.html

Aston, placed 13, research rating 5
Birmingham, placed 33, research rating 5.3

I know this thread should be about the new buildings, but what I'm addressing is the obvious Birmingham bias and incorrect assertions
Cra1g no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #63
feltip

Likes (Received): 510

Well CMU style. Universities frequently change their allegiances and who they align with or compare themselves too. Warwick was in 94 and Russell group and finally left 94 group to stay with Russell group. In Glasgow you can anything done by saying Edinburgh uni is doing it and vice versa. Depends who they regard their competitors as.

hehe yes Aston beat us in Times rankings but I think we beat you in Guardian one and Birmingham one of the few UK uni's in the world top 200 universities which Aston is not. I don't like League tables to be honest. The more you learn how they're measured the more rubbish they get. I think you can skew them by spending more money on facilities in one year etc.

Aston's real coup nationally is, I think its still true, it has one of best employment rates for graduates if not the best one

anyway shall we move to the buildings. I missed a conference once but I really wanted to go as it was about impact of buildings on learner experience. Fascinating stuff not just physically but also psychologically.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #64
Rigadon
ISAO OKANO

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by feltip View Post

Birmingham plans to merge with Aston were more of a takeover.
That's how Birmingham saw it but that wasn't how Aston saw it. Hence why it didn't happen.

When it comes to science Aston is a research led University. I don't know about the business school. Doubt optometry is either.
Rigadon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #65
Rigadon
ISAO OKANO

not that its in anyway definitive but look at the first sentence here
http://www.aston.ac.uk/research/
Old June 26th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #66
feltip

It is not research led in sense I mean of how it focusses, most institutions do some research. Aston is teaching and research. Birmingham would say its research focussed and sadly for students teaching is not its priority.

Plus Birmingham gets a huge proportion of its revenue (over £200m) from research councils. Aston is less relient on research in same way.
Also crudely as indicator of research driven, Birmingham is one of only five insitutions that awards over half of the total PhDs awarded out of the fifty percent awarded by just 14 universities.

Totally agree on how Aston saw takeover. They wanted it as equal merger which Birmingham spoke the speak but didnt really mean it.
Was a shame, they could have been very complimentary.

I guess it might be a long time till its proposed again. Students were firmly opposed at both ends for different reasons and the two chancellors at time were brothers.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #67
feltip

Heres a reminder of the plan for Aston Uni campus.

A committee report for the 5th July has gone online at:
http://80.86.36.120/vault/XDDocStore...0208707FUL.pdf

I don't think there is anything too exciting we don't know already in it.

Mixed use development of up to 66,672m2 (gross internal area) to include staff (4 x 1-bed tutor and 30 x 1-bed visitor) and student (413 cluster flats [269 x 5-bed, 144 x 7-bed]) residential apartments, student ancillary and amenity services, university management administration offices, retail within use classes A1 to A5 (shops, financial & professional services, restaurants & cafes, drinking establishments, hot food takeaways) (1600 sq.m G.I.A.), car parking (325 spaces), highways and infrastructure works and associated development

The proposals would therefore result in the demolition of buildings within the application site including: Stafford Tower, Vauxhall Court, King Edward VI House, Lawrence Tower, Old Cross, Bishop Ryder House, Gem House and Dalton Tower along with the existing allweather sports pitch. The nursery building fronting Jennens Road would also be demolished. The existing sports hall would be retained. 2117 student bedspaces would be lost.

A total of 1307 student bedspaces provided within Blocks A/B along with 8 tutor apartments. They would form the first phase of the development. Once completed, students from the existing buildings would be moved into these blocks to enable the demolition of the existing buildings and the construction of Blocks C and D.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #68
brum2003

Likes (Received): 258

the engineer building ?

there is a really really ugly building, thinks its the engineering building just before the new matthew boulton....maybe they shoulkd sell this plot off and move that department, it really is an ugly building and will look even more hideous when masshouse complete
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #69
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 272

Is this the Engineering building? If it isn't, this is still darn ugly. Sorry about the poor picture, I didn't check the ISO before taking it .

The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #70
brum2003

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
Is this the Engineering building? If it isn't, this is still darn ugly. Sorry about the poor picture, I didn't check the ISO before taking it .

yes, thats the offending building...wrecking ball please
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #71
feltip

There are worse

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #72
mk61
Yep

Likes (Received): 77

You can barely see it with MBC in the way. Given the choice between that and Broad Street Travelodge, the hotel would get blown away every time if it was down to me.
mk61 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #73
Rigadon
ISAO OKANO

the main university building is worse IMO
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #74
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 272

I think it is quite grand. It is a large brick building - allegedly the largest in the world.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #75
smysticed
SSC Geek

Likes (Received): 41

Yes, I think the University main building has a certain epic grandeur to it. Although it can be hard to grasp just how big it is seeing it from a lot of angles.
smysticed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #76
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 555

i was at aston university today for a convention with all the different uni's. i was horrified at the lift on the main building below.

all the halls are very old etc, but the buisness building is very nice! so the new plan should make aston uni look alot better and modern
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #77
feltip

If you think the halls are bad, you should look at Birmingham's.

I liked Stafford tower as you had key to your room and your floor only. Stops the pranks of going up to other floors and causing bad behaviour.
The new halls in Aston are very nice, facing James Watt Queensway.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #78
ShavenHeaden

Likes (Received): 0

I rather like the lifts in an ironic way. It's quite a bold example of how we treated our older buildings during the 70/80s. As it's all external and you can clearly see the old and new. Need a damn good clean though
ShavenHeaden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #79
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

I don't mind this. A bit of TLC and it could look quite good IMO

Last edited by Biosonic; June 28th, 2007 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Amusing spelling mistake
Biosonic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #80
FLD

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
I think it is quite grand. It is a large brick building - allegedly the largest in the world.

I thought that accolade went to Battersea Power Station in London?
FLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aston university, eastside, student accomodation