LONDON - Olympic Stadium (60,000) - Page 916 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2019, 07:07 PM   #18301
OnwardsAndUpwards

Likes (Received): 1123

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch View Post
It looks solid, the foul line seats, which are some of the best at American ballparks, will be far from the field, but behind the plate looks good. I hope some home runs land in the stands, because it will be cool to see people in London react to that. I still think you could've made a better layout with the plate backing up to the goal line and building temporary seating behind the outfield wall, but I wonder if the roof would've caused too many issues with pop ups in that arrangement. Looking forward to seeing this in action this weekend, have both game set for DVR recording. Hoping my Orioles make the trip in the coming years.
Your suggested arrangement is how I would have done it. Looking at what they've achieved I wonder if that would have left too many of the seats at the opposite end too far away and with a massive gap between a small lower tier and big but barely usable upper tier. Sight lines would have severely restricted what could be achieved. I've seen pictures of the LA Colisseum when the Dodgers first played there and I wouldn't have wanted to be at the far end. You may also have had very short left and right field boundaries, at least by the foul poles.

I'm quite impressed with what they have achieved. It will be interesting to see what it looks like on TV. Also what people think of the views. Over two matches it is surely a certainty that someone will hit a home run into the stands. Especially if the boundaries are on the short side with low walls too. I wonder what a London crowd will know of the rules. Obviously lots of Red Sox and Yankee fans will be coming over. There are also a lot of people who know the rules or at least the basics here. No doubt there will be people with tickets who haven't got a clue also.

The weather forecast currently looks good for it. 32 celcius/89 farenheit on Saturday with 24/75 on Sunday. Rain unlikely. With Saturday being the evening game UK time it should be very pleasant weather if the forecast is right.
OnwardsAndUpwards no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2019, 10:53 PM   #18302
DublinHoop

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Pretty respectable baseball setup. I’d imagine this wasn’t cheap, it’s a shame this wasn’t a four-game series or several different series with 6-10 total games in London. If this is successful, I’m sure the amount of games will grow. Now it’s time for English football to bring some meaningful games to America!
Will never happen nor should it.

flierfy liked this post
DublinHoop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2019, 02:35 PM   #18303
RobH

Likes (Received): 16979

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1144206462677331970

en1044, aquamaroon, EPA001, RMB2007, KLynch, will101 liked this post
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2019, 06:30 PM   #18304
BeestonLad
PQS

Likes (Received): 908

Yep as I thought way too much foul territory, wonder how many extra outs that will lead to. The game might go quicker though I guess!
BeestonLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2019, 08:01 PM   #18305
flierfy

Likes (Received): 694

Has it been mentioned yet, what the capacity of the Baseball configuration is?
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2019, 09:43 AM   #18306
Nacre

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeestonLad View Post
Yep as I thought way too much foul territory, wonder how many extra outs that will lead to. The game might go quicker though I guess!
I don't know if it's really much worse than the Oakland Coliseum, though. Batting averages should be down perhaps 10%.

Overall I think it looks better than Montreal's Stade Olympique does when it is in baseball mode: another sad kick in the junk for Les Expos.
Nacre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2019, 02:28 PM   #18307
ElvisBC

Likes (Received): 501

it is great to have such a versatile stadium in the city. not many have something like that!

ok, it sucks for football, but baseball???
ElvisBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2019, 04:53 PM   #18308
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 23940

https://twitter.com/nick_mcavaney

EPA001, RobH, Lumbergo, loloo liked this post
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2019, 08:31 PM   #18309
KLynch

Likes (Received): 1675

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeestonLad View Post
The unique thing about Baseball is every park is different. Gotta play with the dimensions you are given. Boston has the quirkiest stadium in baseball with the Green Monster, and they build that team around it, but it is what it is.

Anyone know what will happen with the open space down the foul lines that is black? Party patio (which is very common in baseball) or just open space?
Old June 28th, 2019, 09:21 PM   #18310
BeestonLad
PQS

Likes (Received): 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacre View Post
I don't know if it's really much worse than the Oakland Coliseum, though. Batting averages should be down perhaps 10%.

Overall I think it looks better than Montreal's Stade Olympique does when it is in baseball mode: another sad kick in the junk for Les Expos.
I forgot about that place despite once catching a game there 10 years ago! It does look similar until you get in to deep left and right field where there seems to be a lot more here.

Quote:
The unique thing about Baseball is every park is different. Gotta play with the dimensions you are given. Boston has the quirkiest stadium in baseball with the Green Monster, and they build that team around it, but it is what it is.

Anyone know what will happen with the open space down the foul lines that is black? Party patio (which is very common in baseball) or just open space?
Yeah I get that, it's the same with cricket, there even used to be a tree in the outfield at one of the county grounds in England! Also I used to live in Boston so got down to Fenway a couple of times, hence I'm still a Red Sox fan today, just hoping the don't get blown out by the Yankees in this series. I was just saying there is so much foul territory that there will be a lot more outs as balls that would normally end up in the stands will be caught.
BeestonLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2019, 08:33 PM   #18311
TWD26

Likes (Received): 47

will101 liked this post
TWD26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2019, 08:41 PM   #18312
RMB2007

https://twitter.com/MarlyRiveraESPN

https://twitter.com/MarcAspland

https://twitter.com/KrisProwse182

Last edited by RMB2007; June 29th, 2019 at 09:43 PM.
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2019, 11:25 PM   #18313
RobH

---

EPA001 liked this post

Last edited by RobH; June 30th, 2019 at 12:25 AM. Reason: think mods deleted some posts, made no sense out of context
Old June 30th, 2019, 12:10 AM   #18314
RobH

Caught this screenshot:

EPA001, Lumbergo, Jamsterx, will101 liked this post
Old June 30th, 2019, 01:19 AM   #18315
RMB2007

Quote:
Announced attendance at the game today was 59,659
https://twitter.com/WilliamsBob75

Quote:
The Yankees win the first MLB game ever on European soil.

What looked like a one-sided affair turned out to be a Jolly Good (The) Show across the Pond, with the Yankees holding off the Red Sox, 17-13, on Saturday in the London Series opener.

It was the second-highest scoring game between the two rivals (30 runs), with only a 31-run outburst between the two teams on Aug. 21, 2009, topping the London Stadium affair.
https://www.mlb.com/news/red-sox-and...-london-series

https://twitter.com/MarlyRiveraESPN

https://twitter.com/magneticcurses
Old June 30th, 2019, 11:31 PM   #18316
burroughsmvp

Likes (Received): 91

I would love to see what the field dimensions would have been had the field been laid out like Montreal or the Polo Grounds instead of Oakland. Or could they have been like old Minnesota or Florida with home plate in the corner. Seems they had options but went with home plate to center field on the midfield of the pitch.

Anybody have any diagrams?
burroughsmvp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2019, 09:33 AM   #18317
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 200

I would be very ok with an all star game being held here.
Old July 1st, 2019, 11:39 AM   #18318
BigB1967

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by burroughsmvp View Post
I would love to see what the field dimensions would have been had the field been laid out like Montreal or the Polo Grounds instead of Oakland. Or could they have been like old Minnesota or Florida with home plate in the corner. Seems they had options but went with home plate to center field on the midfield of the pitch.

Anybody have any diagrams?
I'm guessing they laid it out the way that they did because all of the premium seats and facilities are on that side and they wanted those behind the plate. I don't know the stadium at all, but looking at the pictures makes me assume that may be the case.
BigB1967 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2019, 01:37 PM   #18319
Rob73

Likes (Received): 418

So if the stadium can be configured for baseball surely it would be easy to reconfigure it for 20/20 cricket. Lord and The Oval can't fit 60,000 combined.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2019, 02:37 PM   #18320
5portsF4n

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob73 View Post
So if the stadium can be configured for baseball surely it would be easy to reconfigure it for 20/20 cricket. Lord and The Oval can't fit 60,000 combined.
Found this:

Quote:
The Olympic Stadium had been earmarked for two matches with organisers hoping to attract record crowds of 60,000 for a cricket fixture in this country...

But it would involve huge cost in converting the football pitch to a cricket outfield as well as the instillation of drop in pitches in England for the first time.

The ICC had given the green light for the ground to be used as a venue and the ECB were planning to hold test events this summer. But the small boundary and the fact floodlights would have to be angled differently for cricket meant it would have been a gamble to use the ground and instead matches will remain at the traditional cricket venues.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/...d-cup-matches/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
britain, england, london, olympics